2017-18 Season ... Who are the top teams in each league ?

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Re: 2017-18 Season ... Who are the top teams in each league ?

Post by Truth&fiction »

Nothing really stops transferring to a school by a number of kids so that they can overpower the home grown talent . Heck pick out a small D4 and load up with talent and win a state Championship every year. Seriously there is patterns of recruiting but how do you keep the playing field fair . Every transfer situation should meet better guidelines . Whatever happened to loyalty and the true High School experience of graduating with you long time friends?
Each to their own though and it's the parents that makes the final decision on transferring. I like home grown talent that stays together . I' m not referring to any schools so do not read into that . If kids are wasting half their season to transfer I would ask why . If they do not have to sit I would ask what is the path to instant playing time . Just an old mans thoughts!

donaldtrump
Freshman Team

Post by donaldtrump »

The Donald would put a stop to this cancer of hold backs and transfers. You're held back for sports you lose that year and Skippy and Mommy pay a tuition for a extra School year that wasn't needed...So you'll have 3 years instead of 4 years to make skippy happy...You transfer to a school for sports you lose the year you transfer unless skippy and mommy actually move to that school district boundary..No moving in with an Uncle or friend.... That would stop this epidemic....

toast
All State

Post by toast »

Voice of Reason wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:49 am I don't believe and I know others don't truthfully believe there is door to door recruiting going on, but texts messages, chance conversations at AAU tournaments, and families talking to friends of the program most certainly happens. I'm not blaming Oak Hill or any other school, but these things are not coincidental. And yes, it is happening throughout the state and to me that is a problem. When coaching jobs are being evaluated on wins and losses, and a coach chooses to do the right thing and not get in the muddy recruiting waters only to have it bite him later... to me that's a problem. Also, let's not be naive and pretend that these decisions are made based on education. They based entirely around basketball and playing time or perceived exposure. I don't blame parents, but I can't help but laugh when players continually go to certain schools and people act like there isn't recruiting taking place.

Agree with most of what you have stated. Although some parents want to move or open enroll to be a part of a successful program and team. A chance to go far in the tournament and/or win a league championship. "Build it and they will come".

What I can't believe is that some of these schools (FANS) claim their success over time is entirely because of work ethic, tradition, coaching, blah blah blah......when in fact their schools gets talented and skilled athletes coming (moving to their community or open enrolling) on a regular bases. Those kids make a significant difference in the degree of success!

donaldtrump
Freshman Team

Post by donaldtrump »

Toast you hit the nail on the head!!!!!!! The Donald knows when he's being fed a line of horse manure...It's not because of their great coaches from biddy leagues to High School! Their kids dont work harder in weight rooms!!!! Bla bla bla....It's the johnny's and Joe's that daddy moves to wheelersburg....Lets quit being politically correct and call it what it is. Recruiting and stacking a team...There's no way a town and School as small as burg having great teams year after year!!! statistically impossible unless your getting kids moving in for sports....Burgs No different than small private Catholic Schools who recruit and Burgites get on here and talk about how unfair it is....

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

donaldtrump wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:34 pm Toast you hit the nail on the head!!!!!!! The Donald knows when he's being fed a line of horse manure...It's not because of their great coaches from biddy leagues to High School! Their kids dont work harder in weight rooms!!!! Bla bla bla....It's the johnny's and Joe's that daddy moves to wheelersburg....Lets quit being politically correct and call it what it is. Recruiting and stacking a team...There's no way a town and School as small as burg having great teams year after year!!! statistically impossible unless your getting kids moving in for sports....Burgs No different than small private Catholic Schools who recruit and Burgites get on here and talk about how unfair it is....
Well they’ve been doing it for 40 years, even when there was no such thing as open enrollment. You’re talking out of your arse again Donald.

donaldtrump
Freshman Team

Post by donaldtrump »

I'm talking the truth!!! It's a darn epidemic that's absolutely getting out of hand.....The past 40 years doesn't make what's going on right.....The transfer and holdback epidemic for sports should be stopped....woby must have been a transfer or a holdback or a parent of one.... It's obvious

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

donaldtrump wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:25 pm I'm talking the truth!!! It's a darn epidemic that's absolutely getting out of hand.....The past 40 years doesn't make what's going on right.....The transfer and holdback epidemic for sports should be stopped....woby must have been a transfer or a holdback or a parent of one.... It's obvious
I was 16 when I started my senior year. I did, however, transfer to the district when I was 3 from Kentucky. My dad was looking for an all around sports program where I could be a great bench player. Donald you’re fired!

mrwonderful
Varsity

Post by mrwonderful »

Mr. Trump sir, you are correct. The people that agree with these hold back and transfer policies are mainly the Parents and kids doing this, and the programs who are benefiting. It's all about the money. Follow the money. Winning teams draw higher attendances. Play more games by making deeper runs in the playoffs...This benefits the School and Community on the receiving end, while depleting the competition they have. Many Schools do this Let's make no mistake about that, but only a few in my opinion have perfected or should I say abused this issue year after year.....

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

mrwonderful wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:15 pm Mr. Trump sir, you are correct. The people that agree with these hold back and transfer policies are mainly the Parents and kids doing this, and the programs who are benefiting. It's all about the money. Follow the money. Winning teams draw higher attendances. Play more games by making deeper runs in the playoffs...This benefits the School and Community on the receiving end, while depleting the competition they have. Many Schools do this Let's make no mistake about that, but only a few in my opinion have perfected or should I say abused this issue year after year.....
Abused what? There has never been a broken state rule. Since the 1980s burg has won more soc, regional, state runner up and state titles in all sports than all the other SOC schools combined and you contribute that to maybe a couple of kids that will graduate at 19 and the couple of kids that live in south Webster? Both of you now have contributed embarrassing posts. I’m surprised you haven’t said that the water in burg is different than the surrounding water. Burgs schools want their students to be successful and they are and you come on here and crap on their success. That’s neat.

Lightle72
Riding the Bench

Post by Lightle72 »

I love how loyalty is always brought up when it comes to kids transferring but in a lot of cases these kids coaches have been terminated by the school. And it’s considered OK to do this and then the kids and parents have to go through a new system new personality of coach. But the kids and parents don’t have a say in what ever coach comes in or their value system but then they are traders and scorned for wanting different. So it’s ok for a coach to be canned and the kids that played for him have no voice nor do the parents. I call bull.be loyal to to your players and parents and coaches. The kids won’t want to leave. Just my thoughts on that. Not worth much but loyalty and honor are taught and schools that change coaches every 2 years are as guilty as any kid or parent.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Lightle72 wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:56 pm I love how loyalty is always brought up when it comes to kids transferring but in a lot of cases these kids coaches have been terminated by the school. And it’s considered OK to do this and then the kids and parents have to go through a new system new personality of coach. But the kids and parents don’t have a say in what ever coach comes in or their value system but then they are traders and scorned for wanting different. So it’s ok for a coach to be canned and the kids that played for him have no voice nor do the parents. I call bull.be loyal to to your players and parents and coaches. The kids won’t want to leave. Just my thoughts on that. Not worth much but loyalty and honor are taught and schools that change coaches every 2 years are as guilty as any kid or parent.
Well said! Parenting is about doing what u feel is right regardless of how people will react. People will always find an excuse to why they can't win. If it's not hold Backs or transfers it'll be something else. That's just the low hanging fruit so they grab it.

ItsMyOpinion
Varsity

Post by ItsMyOpinion »

Unfortunately ..... parenting in today’s society is about the “Me and Right Now”! Parents only want what is best for the kids “Right Now” with no regards for the future and the life lessons they are teaching their kids.

“Good Parenting” is teaching their kids loyalty, commitment and dedication even if things don’t always go their way. “Deal with it! It’s life!”

Loyalty is a life lesson. Parents can’t teach their kids that loyalty is only important when it benefits them. Loyalty is an important part of life. Loyalty to your God, your spouse, your family, your friends, etc.

Unfortunately, today’s parents are telling their kids what the kid wants right now is more important than having life skills for the rest of your life. (It’s disappointing!) That is why we have so many young people that believe what they want is more important than respect, faith, relationships, family and friends. Parents are raising their kids with false beliefs.

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

ItsMyOpinion wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:57 pm Unfortunately ..... parenting in today’s society is about the “Me and Right Now”! Parents only want what is best for the kids “Right Now” with no regards for the future and the life lessons they are teaching their kids.

“Good Parenting” is teaching their kids loyalty, commitment and dedication even if things don’t always go their way. “Deal with it! It’s life!”

Loyalty is a life lesson. Parents can’t teach their kids that loyalty is only important when it benefits them. Loyalty is an important part of life. Loyalty to your God, your spouse, your family, your friends, etc.

Unfortunately, today’s parents are telling their kids what the kid wants right now is more important than having life skills for the rest of your life. (It’s disappointing!) That is why we have so many young people that believe what they want is more important than respect, faith, relationships, family and friends. Parents are raising their kids with false beliefs.
Now I will say a great POST. Loyalty is meaningful in the ways that you mentioned .

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

ItsMyOpinion wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:57 pm Unfortunately ..... parenting in today’s society is about the “Me and Right Now”! Parents only want what is best for the kids “Right Now” with no regards for the future and the life lessons they are teaching their kids.

I agree with everything you are saying and those are all great lessons for youngsters to learn and those beliefs are being lost but let's not kid ourselves, The people on these threads complaining about kids transferring or being held back aren't concerned with kids learning "life lessons" they're upset because they feel "cheated." instead of using those opportunities to actually teach their own kids valuable lessons. Lessons like: overcoming adversity, how to fight through situations regardless of how fair or unfair It is, also how to handle defeat with dignity. Instead of making a million excuses as to why it's just not fair.

Lightle72
Riding the Bench

Post by Lightle72 »

Loyalty is a tricky lesson to teach. If you are at a job and not being paid what you should be do you say heck with getting paid fairly I’m going to do without and be loyal. No you do what’s best for you and your family. If your employer is not being loyal to you and your family you find new employment. Is the schools to never be accountable for revolving door coaching? I understand what is being said but also feel Loyalty is a tricky thing to use in this discussion. If the school isn’t going to be loyal to the coach they highered. And his family then I don’t think a kid should be held to a fictitious standard that is only brought up after the child and parents move on. Just my thoughts on this topic. May be totally off base.

gametime
SE

Post by gametime »

Lightle72 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:22 pm Loyalty is a tricky lesson to teach. If you are at a job and not being paid what you should be do you say heck with getting paid fairly I’m going to do without and be loyal. No you do what’s best for you and your family. If your employer is not being loyal to you and your family you find new employment. Is the schools to never be accountable for revolving door coaching? I understand what is being said but also feel Loyalty is a tricky thing to use in this discussion. If the school isn’t going to be loyal to the coach they highered. And his family then I don’t think a kid should be held to a fictitious standard that is only brought up after the child and parents move on. Just my thoughts on this topic. May be totally off base.
Good point!!

You can't handle the truth
BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

Lightle72 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:22 pm Loyalty is a tricky lesson to teach. If you are at a job and not being paid what you should be do you say heck with getting paid fairly I’m going to do without and be loyal. No you do what’s best for you and your family. If your employer is not being loyal to you and your family you find new employment. Is the schools to never be accountable for revolving door coaching? I understand what is being said but also feel Loyalty is a tricky thing to use in this discussion. If the school isn’t going to be loyal to the coach they highered. And his family then I don’t think a kid should be held to a fictitious standard that is only brought up after the child and parents move on. Just my thoughts on this topic. May be totally off base.
Very good post.

Return to “Boys Basketball”