2017-18 Logan Cheiftains

loganlocos
SEOP

Re: 2017-18 Logan Cheiftains

Post by loganlocos »

formerfcfan wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:29 pm 12 is about where Logan belongs. Maybe 11 (maybe?)

Tri-Valley could’ve taken the slot that feeds into a round 2 game vs Pick Central against a lower seed. TV didn’t draw against Logan thinking they would likely lose.
Always hard in seeding - at any level and any sport - to weigh all the factors - strength of schedule, actual results, injuries, etc.

And its even harder in HS basketball where some teams might go play in an out of state tournament, a team like Logan plays relatively small number of D1 teams, etc.

Don't think Logan got shafted at all, but also thought twelve was about the floor for where they SHOULD be seeded.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

As for the actual bracket, if I'm Coach Rider and staff I am DEFINITELY making sure my kids understand that A) Tri-Valley jumped into a pretty tough first round game (as far as seeding goes) thinking they can win. And B) Olentangy Orange, who got to pick their line right after Logan, jumped straight into that sectional.

If you're looking for "disrespect", it's the way these teams jumped into the sectional instead of the overall seeding.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Without a league affiliation, I think 12 is about the best that Logan could've hoped for.

I don't think Reynoldsburg is better, but playing in such an absurdly good division in the OCC probably gained them a tick over Logan.

I think if Logan plays to their abilities, that they could easily see a District Final appearance and then you never know what could happen. The road won't be easy, but I think that their schedule has prepared them for the first few rounds for sure.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

loganlocos wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:16 am As for the actual bracket, if I'm Coach Rider and staff I am DEFINITELY making sure my kids understand that A) Tri-Valley jumped into a pretty tough first round game (as far as seeding goes) thinking they can win. And B) Olentangy Orange, who got to pick their line right after Logan, jumped straight into that sectional.

If you're looking for "disrespect", it's the way these teams jumped into the sectional instead of the overall seeding.
Absolutely agree. Look at what seeds 18 and 19 did with the 17 seed Chillicothe. Same thing. Those schools don't respect teams outside of 270. Hopefully this is the year that they both open up some eyes in the Central District.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

danicalifornia wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:19 am Without a league affiliation, I think 12 is about the best that Logan could've hoped for.

I don't think Reynoldsburg is better, but playing in such an absurdly good division in the OCC probably gained them a tick over Logan.

I think if Logan plays to their abilities, that they could easily see a District Final appearance and then you never know what could happen. The road won't be easy, but I think that their schedule has prepared them for the first few rounds for sure.
I would’ve thought the same re:RHS/Logan, but does the fact that Reynoldsburg beat Pickerington North over the weekend possibly change that opinion? J/w

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

danicalifornia wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:20 am
loganlocos wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:16 am As for the actual bracket, if I'm Coach Rider and staff I am DEFINITELY making sure my kids understand that A) Tri-Valley jumped into a pretty tough first round game (as far as seeding goes) thinking they can win. And B) Olentangy Orange, who got to pick their line right after Logan, jumped straight into that sectional.

Absolutely agree. Look at what seeds 18 and 19 did with the 17 seed Chillicothe. Same thing. Those schools don't respect teams outside of 270. Hopefully this is the year that they both open up some eyes in the Central District.
I don’t think it’s they “don’t respect teams outside of 270”, rather they don’t respect much of the competition teams outside of 270 play. Whether or not the schools outside of 270 really are afforded much of a choice in their scheduling doesn’t really matter to the coaches in the OCC, and frankly I can see why it doesn’t.

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

formerfcfan wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:51 pm
danicalifornia wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:20 am

I don’t think it’s they “don’t respect teams outside of 270”, rather they don’t respect much of the competition teams outside of 270 play. Whether or not the schools outside of 270 really are afforded much of a choice in their scheduling doesn’t really matter to the coaches in the OCC, and frankly I can see why it doesn’t.
Agree with all. Seeding is going to be what it is . Somewhere all the games are tough any how. It's putting your team in the best position to move on . Central is brutal so good luck to the Chieftains.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... as daniC pointed out Tri Valley and Olentangy Orange "sought" out Logan with THEIR thinking that Logan IS beatable ... should be some good bulletin board wallpaper for the Purple ... time to go GET some respect ! ...

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

pfloyd wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:55 pm ... as daniC pointed out Tri Valley and Olentangy Orange "sought" out Logan with THEIR thinking that Logan IS beatable ... should be some good bulletin board wallpaper for the Purple ... time to go GET some respect ! ...

I would say you are very correct . Time to get respect and take one game at a time . Prepare and play your game and see where it takes you . I think your Jim's Gym will be packed , rocking and very Loud. Your fans really support this team .

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

Record: 18-2

12/1 @ Unioto - W 71-56
12/9 @ Vinton County - W 76-39
12/12 vs. Lancaster - W 57-50
12/16 vs. Athens - W 61-44
12/18 @ Heath - W 55-45
12/22 vs. Bloom-Carroll - W 70-34
12/29 vs. Watkins Memorial - W 77-57
1/2 @ Washington CH - W 66-47
1/6 @ Athens - W 68-37
1/9 @ Teays Valley - W 58-37
1/15 vs. Capital (Rt 40 Classic @ W. Muskingum) - W 76-58
1/20 vs. Mount Vernon - L 60-58
1/23 @ Dublin Jerome - W 57-51
1/26 vs. Whitehall-Yearling - W 55-47
1/27 vs. St. Charles - W 47-42
1/30 @ New Albany - W 51-44
2/3 @ Parkersburg South - L 68-63/OT
2/6 @ Parkersburg - W 46-45
2/10 vs. Vinton County - W 66-41
2/13 vs. Nelsonville-York - W 73-30
2/16 vs. Warren
2/19 vs. Massillon Perry

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Landis Dunk.jpg
Landis Dunk

as oer LDN

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

Record: 19-2

12/1 @ Unioto - W 71-56
12/9 @ Vinton County - W 76-39
12/12 vs. Lancaster - W 57-50
12/16 vs. Athens - W 61-44
12/18 @ Heath - W 55-45
12/22 vs. Bloom-Carroll - W 70-34
12/29 vs. Watkins Memorial - W 77-57
1/2 @ Washington CH - W 66-47
1/6 @ Athens - W 68-37
1/9 @ Teays Valley - W 58-37
1/15 vs. Capital (Rt 40 Classic @ W. Muskingum) - W 76-58
1/20 vs. Mount Vernon - L 60-58
1/23 @ Dublin Jerome - W 57-51
1/26 vs. Whitehall-Yearling - W 55-47
1/27 vs. St. Charles - W 47-42
1/30 @ New Albany - W 51-44
2/3 @ Parkersburg South - L 68-63/OT
2/6 @ Parkersburg - W 46-45
2/10 vs. Vinton County - W 66-41
2/13 vs. Nelsonville-York - W 73-30
2/16 vs. Warren - W 75-56
2/19 vs. Massillon Perry
2/24 vs. Tri Valley (Sectional Semifinal)
Last edited by Chieftain2009 on Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

Congrats on the win. Excellent chance to win 20 regular season games. Perry is traditionally awful and looks to be 6-14 right now. Go Chiefs !

Have gun, will travel
Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

Was reading the online version of the LDN this morning, the Chiefs shot 69.4% from the field in the game. Also Myers (23), Landis (17) and Bell twins (15 each) all scored in double figures on the same night for the 6th time this season.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Code Bell.jpg
Cody Bell 15 points

as per LDN

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

Ok, What do we know about Perry??

AT THE RESERVATION
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... interesting statements in the LDN ... "Who would have thought this team would get 20 wins?" ... apparently should have asked Coach Kellough, he told me before the season started that THIS SEASON was the season that he felt that this group of Logan players would make noise on the hardwood ... lots of Coach Kellough "defensive fundamentals" in this years Chiefs for sure ... when you look at the Zane Trace team that Coach Kellough has taken over this season - that squad is exactly where the Purple (this group of the Purple) were at this time in their development - solid defensively, still "thinking" on the offensive end of the floor ... Coach K see's the same thing happening in ZT that is NOW here at Logan ... I've seen ZT 3 times this season - Coach Kellough IS right ... all of the pieces are in place at ZT - size, length, great PG play, scorers, a pipeline of talent now in place ... so to answer Coach Rider's question - Coach Kellough of Zane Trace , the coach who set the blueprint for this group of Chiefs , saw this happening ... if you talked to anyone who follows high school hoops in Southern/Southeastern Ohio - WE knew that Logan was going to be good ... watching last night's 3 games one of the key observations is that Logan and Warren have lots of talent from this season's freshmen up into next years returning 6 or their top 7 varsity players for Logan/ 5-6 rotation players for Warren ... both Warren/Logan BOTH have size coming - multiple 6-5+ players "to be" on both sides, shooters with size , ballhandlers ... the year following 2018-19 will be Logan's "rebuilding" year when this BIG senior group to be graduate - Logan will have players with little to no varsity experience (Warren's squad this season) ... high school hoops always fun to follow - the old guard graduates and the new versions of each team fall into place ... the key to success 2-3 years from now lies in the hands of the freshmen/jv coaches today - the fundamentals learned or not learned will tell the story of the years ahead ...

Chieftain Fan
Varsity

Post by Chieftain Fan »

pfloyd wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:02 pm ... interesting statements in the LDN ... "Who would have thought this team would get 20 wins?" ... apparently should have asked Coach Kellough, he told me before the season started that THIS SEASON was the season that he felt that this group of Logan players would make noise on the hardwood ... lots of Coach Kellough "defensive fundamentals" in this years Chiefs for sure ... when you look at the Zane Trace team that Coach Kellough has taken over this season - that squad is exactly where the Purple (this group of the Purple) were at this time in their development - solid defensively, still "thinking" on the offensive end of the floor ... Coach K see's the same thing happening in ZT that is NOW here at Logan ... I've seen ZT 3 times this season - Coach Kellough IS right ... all of the pieces are in place at ZT - size, length, great PG play, scorers, a pipeline of talent now in place ... so to answer Coach Rider's question - Coach Kellough of Zane Trace , the coach who set the blueprint for this group of Chiefs , saw this happening ... if you talked to anyone who follows high school hoops in Southern/Southeastern Ohio - WE knew that Logan was going to be good ... watching last night's 3 games one of the key observations is that Logan and Warren have lots of talent from this season's freshmen up into next years returning 6 or their top 7 varsity players for Logan/ 5-6 rotation players for Warren ... both Warren/Logan BOTH have size coming - multiple 6-5+ players "to be" on both sides, shooters with size , ballhandlers ... the year following 2018-19 will be Logan's "rebuilding" year when this BIG senior group to be graduate - Logan will have players with little to no varsity experience (Warren's squad this season) ... high school hoops always fun to follow - the old guard graduates and the new versions of each team fall into place ... the key to success 2-3 years from now lies in the hands of the freshmen/jv coaches today - the fundamentals learned or not learned will tell the story of the years ahead ...

This group was taught at an early age to play Man D . They were taught to slid thru , stay open up to the ball and take away the pass to the cutter. How and when to switch how to communicate and to play D by moving the feet . They were not allowed to play Zone . This is where it started . This group played multiple teams from CO and beat alot of them by playing Man D. Coach K EMPHASIZES Good Man D but it started way before his tenure .These kids were 25-0 and never really tested in JR HIGH while playing strickly a Man D. The new hiring of Coach Rider and the addition of Coach Bell along with Landis and Walsh has moved them forward to where they are at. Everyone who has followed this group knew this was a breakout year . I think Coach Riders comment was meant who would have thought this team would get to 20 wins .It did not say I would not have thought they would get 20 wins . Coach Rider and Staff has the right demeanor for this group and they believe in these kids and the Kids believe in them . Good luck to the Purple Gang . One more regular season game and then tourney time . Take one game at a time and play to your strength.

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

Biddy coaches take heed . Teach your players to play Man to Man D. Teach them the basic fundamentals of moving their feet , not to reach and proper technique. Good defensive teams know how to play Man to Man first then rolls into either a Zone or a "Junk Man". Defense wins games . Thats what Logan does very well.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Where did all the now seniors go that came up with Landis?

While playing together when coming up through the grades who played center for these Jrs?

Return to “Boys Basketball”