Freshman Team

Re: eastern varsity coach

Post by teach123 »

Which Eastern?

Runner00
JV Team

Post by Runner00 »

I believe he is referring to Eastern Pike.

eagle country
Freshman Team

Post by eagle country »

Sorry eastern pike

GOINDIANS
Freshman Team

Re: eastern pike varsity coach

Post by GOINDIANS »

PJ Wasn't renewed so the superintendent could hire his step son. Doug Williams will be the new Coach.

Fan of The Blue and Gold
Freshman Team

Post by Fan of The Blue and Gold »

GoIndians, I have heard the same thing. I heard it was a done deal from the beginning.

Is Williams a graduate of Eastern?

Where has he been coaching recently?

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

I have heard the same.
Doug was an Eagle who transferred to Piketon. I heard he was looking for a Head Basketball job.

THE CLAW IS THE LAW
Riding the Bench

Post by THE CLAW IS THE LAW »

If Doug Williams is hired as the new coach , he is more than deserving of the job, and eastern is lucky to get him if he chooses to b our coach.
The school board made the decision not to renew pj, not the superintendent
Doug Williams coached at western brown, not sure on the years, but that is a d1 school.
And he graduated from piketon, although he did go to eastern for I think 11 years, before he moved before his senior season.

If Doug is the hire, he will have incredible support from the eastern community, everyone I have talked to is really excited about having Doug as our coach, but as far as I know , no decision has been made yet

GOINDIANS
Freshman Team

Post by GOINDIANS »

Do I think Doug will do a good job? Yes. Do I think the people of Eastern will support him? Yes. Was it a bad deal for PJ and school politics ruled the day hiring family? Absolutely! You can say the school board did it that's fine. Everybody understands what happened and many of my Eastern friends are none too happy!

THE CLAW IS THE LAW
Riding the Bench

this is gonna b a hot topic , I just think your statements about school politics are wrong, I think u r commenting on this without knowing everything. As far as pj goes , he's a great person , great coach, but I do think he knew this was a possibility when he accepted a job in administration..

eagle country
Freshman Team

Post by eagle country »

Well no one has been hired yet but about the deal with PJ if you were to go around the community in beaver I think you would be surprised at how many wanted the school to find a new coach only saying this from what I hear in stands at games or just talk around beaver it doesn't matter he had successful seasons at eastern and now we open a new chapter in eastern basketball

shady 75
Freshman Team

Post by shady 75 »

Also heard Wheelersburg's old coach Tom Berrick has applied for the job!!

UKNate
Freshman Team

Post by UKNate »

beaver92 wrote:Also heard Wheelersburg's old coach Tom Berrick has applied for the job!!
Who else? I keep hearing Doug Williams.

Mr.T
Waterboy

Post by Mr.T »

how can you hire Doug Williams over a Tom Barrick with all success he has had. It would be a total joke if they do. But than some people would not be in total control if you know what I mean.

THE CLAW IS THE LAW
Riding the Bench

Well I think eastern needs to look at now and long term, I'm assuming Doug is 20-25 years younger than barrick , so Doug would b here a long time compared to barrick only being here for I'm assuming 2-4 years , and I'm not sure barrick would b liked at eastern as well as what some might think, I mean why isn't he at burg anymore?
I think barrick would win at eastern , but so will Doug, I think if if Neil Leist wasn't the superintendent, Doug would still b the first choice for coach, Doug is well liked by eastern fans, and he has had success coaching at western brown, which is a d1 school, and I have been told that he has been an instructor and worked at camps ran by Sean miller of Arizona, and he's from eastern , to me that means a lot.
I just hope if Doug is the coach hired that people dont look at this as a school politic thing, because I think they would b wrong , I think Doug is the best choice not only now but for long term, I hope the school makes the right choice and hires him as our next coach.

Fan of The Blue and Gold
Freshman Team

Post by Fan of The Blue and Gold »

I have to agree with Claw and admit, Williams would win at Eastern as well as Barrick. But I also believe just about any good coach would win at Eastern. Eastern is a very good basketball school. Where I disagree is when he said if the Superintendent hasn't involved Williams would still be their top choice! From the outside looking in, I don't believe that.

At this point Williams will probably coach longer than Barrick but I don't see 20-25 years. When was the last time Eastern let anybody coach 20-25 years? Their former volleyball coach and you can't put anybody in the class with her. Do I think Williams will do a good job ..... Yes!!! But I also think Barrick would do a good job.

Time will tell who the next coach will be. Hopefully whoever it is the community gets behind and supports. I also disagree with Claw on the fact Williams is an Eastern guy. He left Eastern to attend Piketon. There is a lot of people that have not forgot that.

kram
Varsity

Post by kram »

BB #26 wrote:I have to agree with Claw and admit, Williams would win at Eastern as well as Barrick. But I also believe just about any good coach would win at Eastern. Eastern is a very good basketball school. Where I disagree is when he said if the Superintendent hasn't involved Williams would still be their top choice! From the outside looking in, I don't believe that.

At this point Williams will probably coach longer than Barrick but I don't see 20-25 years. When was the last time Eastern let anybody coach 20-25 years? Their former volleyball coach and you can't put anybody in the class with her. Do I think Williams will do a good job ..... Yes!!! But I also think Barrick would do a good job.

Time will tell who the next coach will be. Hopefully whoever it is the community gets behind and supports. I also disagree with Claw on the fact Williams is an Eastern guy. He left Eastern to attend Piketon. There is a lot of people that have not forgot that.
I don't think he is saying he would coach there for 20-25 years, I think he is just stating that he is 20-25 years younger than Mr. Barrick.

THE CLAW IS THE LAW
Riding the Bench

Kram- u r correct just stating that Doug is prolly around 20-25 years younger than barrick, not that he would coach here for that long , but it is possible.

Doug went to eastern for 11 years and piketon for around 9 months , so yes I still consider him from eastern, and there were circumstances that led to him going there , I never held that against him and I don't believe any one else did either.

I think that people r saying Doug would only b getting this job because of Neil leist is absurd and unfair to Doug and Neil, I think the decision not to renew pj came a year ago when he accepted a job in administration, and Doug was not even living in Ohio at that time, I think that Neil may have told Doug that this job could be coming open, and that eastern would like to consider him for the job, but isn't that what he should do is try to get the best people for the school, and in no way do I believe he had to convince the people at eastern to consider Doug for the position, they r smart enough to know that Doug would b a great candidate for head coach, from my understanding , Doug could have had other jobs that most would prolly consider a better job than eastern, but eastern is where he chose to be, so for people who think Doug is only being considered because of Neil and that this was a done deal from the beginning is completely false.

GOINDIANS
Freshman Team

Post by GOINDIANS »

Claw! You can scream it all you want! Doesn't make it true. Doug Williams will be the coach because daddy is superintendent. Two main reasons this was school politics at its best.

1. If Doug wasn't getting divorced and moving back to the area PJ would still be the Coach. No other way to state it.

2. In no other scenario would Doug be hired over Hall Of Famer Barrick. Just wouldn't happen.

It is 100% school politics. Everyone outside of the most ardent Eastern fans see the truth. They are all smart enough to figure it out.

GOINDIANS
Freshman Team

Post by GOINDIANS »

Claw! You can scream it all you want! Doesn't make it true. Doug Williams will be the coach because daddy is superintendent. Two main reasons this was school politics at its best.

1. If Doug wasn't getting divorced and moving back to the area PJ would still be the Coach. No other way to state it.

2. In no other scenario would Doug be hired over Hall Of Famer Barrick. Just wouldn't happen.

It is 100% school politics. Everyone outside of the most ardent Eastern fans see the truth. They are all smart enough to figure it out.

Return to “Boys Basketball”