Wheelersburg Pirates 2017-18 Season

Mash Potato
Waterboy

Re: Wheelersburg Pirates 2017-18 Season

Post by Mash Potato »

Successful Football, Successful Baseball.. I see that success keeping the momentum in Basketball. All these kids do is win. Should be a fun year!

Blitz
Varsity

Post by Blitz »

Just looked at last years rosters... it looks like the Freshman from Webster is the only Varsity player NOT playing football... that's crazy!

JEEPNATION
Riding the Bench

Post by JEEPNATION »

I look for Wheelersburg to have a very successful basketball season. I think they're the 2nd best team in the SOC and should be a favorite (along with Oak Hill) to win one of the two district titles for Division 3 around here. Regionals will be a completely different animal, but I can't think of a D3 team around other than Oak Hill that has more talent than Wheelersburg.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

I'm hearing the QB (Salyers) had a broken leg in the State Championship. Is this true? If so, I'd have to imagine this will sideline him for basketball season. That will make the coaches prized recruit (Truitt kid) even more valuable.

I've also heard today from my Wheelersburg source that a couple football kids they expected to play basketball - won't be coming out this season. Is this true? Not trying to stir the pot, just trying to check the validity of these comments.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
mglight88
SE

Post by mglight88 »

From school website
Dec 15 6:00 PM A Scioto Northwest High School
Dec 19 6:00 PM A Waverly High School
Dec 22 6:00 PM H Portsmouth West High School
Dec 23 6:00 PM H Portsmouth High School
Dec 29 6:00 PM H Wellston High School
Jan 02 6:00 PM A South Webster
Jan 05 6:00 PM A Lucasville Valley High School
Jan 06 6:00 PM H Ironton High School
Jan 09 6:00 PM H South Webster High School
Jan 12 6:00 PM H Minford High School
Jan 16 6:00 PM H Jackson High School
Jan 19 6:00 PM A Oak Hill High School
Jan 23 6:00 PM A Minford High School
Jan 26 6:00 PM H Scioto Northwest High School
Feb 02 6:00 PM H Waverly High School
Feb 06 6:00 PM H Oak Hill High School
Feb 07 6:00 PM H Adena High School
Feb 09 6:00 PM A Portsmouth West High School
Feb 13 6:00 PM A South Point High School
Feb 16 6:00 PM H Lucasville Valley High School

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

bbjunky81 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:38 pm I'm hearing the QB (Salyers) had a broken leg in the State Championship. Is this true? If so, I'd have to imagine this will sideline him for basketball season. That will make the coaches prized recruit (Truitt kid) even more valuable.

I've also heard today from my Wheelersburg source that a couple football kids they expected to play basketball - won't be coming out this season. Is this true? Not trying to stir the pot, just trying to check the validity of these comments.
:roll:

burgpirater
Riding the Bench

Post by burgpirater »

mglight88 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:37 pm From school website
Dec 15 6:00 PM A Scioto Northwest High School
Dec 19 6:00 PM A Waverly High School
Dec 22 6:00 PM H Portsmouth West High School
Dec 23 6:00 PM H Portsmouth High School
Dec 29 6:00 PM H Wellston High School
Jan 02 6:00 PM A South Webster
Jan 05 6:00 PM A Lucasville Valley High School
Jan 06 6:00 PM H Ironton High School
Jan 09 6:00 PM H South Webster High School
Jan 12 6:00 PM H Minford High School
Jan 16 6:00 PM H Jackson High School
Jan 19 6:00 PM A Oak Hill High School
Jan 23 6:00 PM A Minford High School
Jan 26 6:00 PM H Scioto Northwest High School
Feb 02 6:00 PM H Waverly High School
Feb 06 6:00 PM H Oak Hill High School
Feb 07 6:00 PM H Adena High School
Feb 09 6:00 PM A Portsmouth West High School
Feb 13 6:00 PM A South Point High School
Feb 16 6:00 PM H Lucasville Valley High School

Can someone with knowledge explain to me why we dumby down our out of conference schedule really bad for basketball but schedule way up in football and baseball? It's essentially the same kids isn't it? We have Holden whos like the best basketball player in SE Ohio.

Baseball's out of conference schedule last year:
Unioto
Jackson x2
Jonathan Alder
Adena
Portsmouth
Greenup x2
Point Pleasant

Football out of conference schedule last year:
Ironton
Fairland
Heath
Bishop Watterson
Jackson
Oak Hill

Basketball out of conference schedule this year:
Portsmouth (not bad but not great)
Wellston (not good)
Ironton (ok but not great)
Jackson (Pretty good, not great)
Adena (not good)
South Point (decent)

Not knocking these teams I guess it's just weird to see Baseball and Football learn to schedule up and sometimes that may equal less wins but geesh look at how many times baseball and football have won the district let alone made it to state last 4-5 years.

basketball we schedule down with the same athletes and typically have a pretty good record and really underachieved in tournament last year (lost in sectional).

Am I the only burg person thinking like this? Oak HIll is really good no doubt but how is this schedule helping prepare Holden for collegE? I'm not seeing it

tomcat
Riding the Bench

Post by tomcat »

Why don't the Burg schedule the maximum games allowed by Ohssa? For the past few years they have scheduled less than 22 games. It's only cheating their boys of games. And yes their schedule has been weaker since Ater took over.

CavalierAlum05
Varsity

Post by CavalierAlum05 »

Schedule Chilli!!!

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Do they realize that they can use all 22? Lol that is a pretty weak schedule for a team that has Regional asperations. They need to try and find 2 more games that will be a step up in competition.

JEEPNATION
Riding the Bench

Post by JEEPNATION »

danicalifornia wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:23 pm Do they realize that they can use all 22? Lol that is a pretty weak schedule for a team that has Regional asperations. They need to try and find 2 more games that will be a step up in competition.
Mr. Ater was pretty notorious for having a weak schedule when he was here at South Webster as well. For a D4 school I guess I somewhat understand it since the talent seems to really fluctuate year in and year out. But at Wheelersburg, who I will admit is the cream of the crop when it comes to athletics in our county, I'm surprised it's allowed.

They should schedule Fairland, Chillicothe, Unioto, Huntington High etc., teams that would undoubtedly prepare them for the tournament. Football and Baseball have done just that, you'd think Basketball wouldn't be too far behind.

JEEPNATION
Riding the Bench

Post by JEEPNATION »

Piggy-backing off a post I saw above me this is where pfloyd has the Wheelersburg out of conference opponents rated before the season

Basketball out of conference schedule this year:

Portsmouth 13th
Jackson 16th
Ironton 29th
South Point 32
Adena 45th
Wellston 57th

Not exactly a strong out of conference schedule and an in-conference schedule that already includes Northwest (68th) twice, West (70th) twice,South Webster twice, and Valley (64th) twice, all of which are assumed to be down. Oak Hill, a conference foe, is the only team on their schedule ranked in the top 12 of pfloyd's ranking.

and I think we can all agree that Portsmouth at 13 is probably a little high (the season will determine where they belong.. don't berate me trojandave, I know they have looked good for parts of the preseason :P )

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Very weak schedule for a team with high aspirations and a D1 player prospect. I'm really surprised he didn't go to a prep school this year anyway. Any talks he will his senior year. Playing teams around here isn't helping him at all.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

They also play West Branch at the Kosta Koufas Classic on Feb 3 at Glen Oak HS. No idea what the quality of that team would be, they are D2 from NE Ohio.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

smurray wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:49 pm Very weak schedule for a team with high aspirations and a D1 player prospect. I'm really surprised he didn't go to a prep school this year anyway. Any talks he will his senior year. Playing teams around here isn't helping him at all.
AAU is where basketball players are noticed and receive offers. He has already received offers from OU, Marshall, Toledo, and Cleveland State (maybe more, but that is what I had heard of).

JEEPNATION
Riding the Bench

Post by JEEPNATION »

4thgoal wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:53 pm They also play West Branch at the Kosta Koufas Classic on Feb 3 at Glen Oak HS. No idea what the quality of that team would be, they are D2 from NE Ohio.

After some research, it shows that they went 9-14 last year and have had a losing season for 7 consecutive seasons.

JEEPNATION
Riding the Bench

Post by JEEPNATION »

4thgoal wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:57 pm
smurray wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:49 pm Very weak schedule for a team with high aspirations and a D1 player prospect. I'm really surprised he didn't go to a prep school this year anyway. Any talks he will his senior year. Playing teams around here isn't helping him at all.
AAU is where basketball players are noticed and receive offers. He has already received offers from OU, Marshall, Toledo, and Cleveland State (maybe more, but that is what I had heard of).

I do agree that the majority of college looks do come during AAU, but only playing against good competition half the year isn't as helpful as playing against good competition year round -- if that makes sense.

By no means am I saying he should transfer to a prep school, I enjoy seeing an athlete of his caliber in our area. Would just like to see Wheelersburg beef up their schedule to accommodate his needs.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

He is also being recruited for football remember. IMO I think that will be his best shot of playing at the highest of levels

ItsMyOpinion
Varsity

Post by ItsMyOpinion »

Tanner Holden is a basketball player by nature. He has worked his whole life on being a basketball. Hopefully he doesn’t get sidetracked and follows his dream.

“Interest” and “Offers” are two totally different things. He has interest from football programs. He has offers from basketball programs.

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

ItsMyOpinion wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:14 am Tanner Holden is a basketball player by nature. He has worked his whole life on being a basketball. Hopefully he doesn’t get sidetracked and follows his dream.

“Interest” and “Offers” are two totally different things. He has interest from football programs. He has offers from basketball programs.
You are correct about the difference in the two but Holden was named Co-Offensive Player of the Year in DV as well as the only junior to be voted onto the Mr. Ohio list. Sounds like his dreams got bigger with his breakout year in football.

Whatever path he chooses, his future is bright.

Return to “Boys Basketball”