Wheelersburg Pirates 2017-18 Season

JEEPNATION
Riding the Bench

Re: Wheelersburg Pirates 2017-18 Season

Post by JEEPNATION »

LucasDavenport wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:33 pm Barricks last 2 years at Burg ending in 2012 and 2013 were both around 7-13 and neither went to The Convo.

Ater’s first 3 years The Burg went to The Convo and made it to 1 Regional.

Last year was the first time The Burg didn’t advance through Sectionals under Coach Ater.

Basketball has become the 3rd most popular sport at Wheelersburg behind Football and Baseball. This happened before Barrick left.

Losing Salyers and his outside shooting will hurt this team.

I don’t agree that Wheelersburg is clearly the Second best team in the SOC.

Good luck to Coach Ater and the Pirates.
I agree with junky I do think they're the 2nd best team. If not, then who is the 2nd best team in the SOC 2? And please don't tell me Waverly. I watched Waverly vs. my Jeeps the other night and if Waverly is the 2nd best team in the league then the league is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy down.

I haven't seen Minford yet, maybe you're referencing them.

JEEPNATION
Riding the Bench

Post by JEEPNATION »

I was able to look at the SEODAB website to see their Sectional, looks like they will have an easy sectional at least.

Schools: Alexander, Chesapeake, Crooksville, Eastern (Beaver), Ironton, Meigs, Minford, Nelsonville-York, Oak
Hill, River Valley, Rock Hill, South Point, Wellston, Wheelersburg.

Those teams are, according to pfloyd:

Alexander 46th
Chesapeake 57th
Crooksville 38th
Eastern 29th
Ironton 31st
Meigs 50th
Minford 34th
Nelsonville-York 33rd
Oak Hill 3rd
River Valley 68th
Rock Hill 66th
South Point 26th
Wellston 58th

Wheelersburg is 14th in his ranking and I would agree with that, and the 2nd highest rating in their Sectional by a pretty good margin.

Wheelersburg is definitely in a position to win a district title this year.

Jeeps22
Waterboy

Post by Jeeps22 »

I would say
1. Oak Hill
2,3&4 is between burg, waverly and Minford.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

LucasDavenport wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:33 pm Barricks last 2 years at Burg ending in 2012 and 2013 were both around 7-13 and neither went to The Convo.
True, but those 2 years they lost to eventual final 4 teams Portsmouth and Ironton who were very strong. Their poor records did put them in a bad position to have to play them in the sectional finals though.

I think the team this year has the potential to be very good. I believe the key will be replacing the rebounding and point production of Coleman. I hope to see Lowery and Dyer have strong seasons this year and provide some senior leadership to the team.

bleed_blue
Varsity

Post by bleed_blue »

Ater’s first 3 years The Burg went to The Convo and made it to 1 Regional.

Last year was the first time The Burg didn’t advance through Sectionals under Coach Ater.

Basketball has become the 3rd most popular sport at Wheelersburg behind Football and Baseball. This happened before Barrick left.

Losing Salyers and his outside shooting will hurt this team.

I don’t agree that Wheelersburg is clearly the Second best team in the SOC.

Good luck to Coach Ater and the Pirates.
Ater’s first few years at Wheelersburg the district was down considerably compared to what it had been outside of Portsmouth and valley I believe.

Mash Potato
Waterboy

Post by Mash Potato »

And what about our youth programs? Ater have any involvement in that? What's it looking like? Jr High program???

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

You guys can debate the details all you want.

I simply listed facts.

Besides Holden —- who is Wheelersburg putting on the floor that makes them clearly the 2nd best team in the league? Coleman was integral to their success last year and he’s gone. Wheelersburg is yet to play a game this season and some are trying to make sure that if they don’t win and win big then The Coaching Staff failed. Same agenda — different year.

By the end of the year they will be fine and the league is relatively down —- D3 is also down — won’t argue with that—- heck last year Southeastern won a district title after going significantly under .500 in the regular season.

Let’s see what this team looks like.

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

Depth will be issue for Burg. Holden struggles with fouls so can he clean that up for season? Foul trouble will factor.

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

Mash Potato wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:54 pm And what about our youth programs? Ater have any involvement in that? What's it looking like? Jr High program???
[/quo
Not sure how much involvement he has. 8th grade is good and 7th grade is decent. Both play outstanding defense but need to work on jump shots. Missed wide open shots regularly over the first three games. Hopefully this will improve as season progresses. Still early.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Anyone have the Burg's roster?

Can't find it anywhere.

ItsMyOpinion
Varsity

Post by ItsMyOpinion »

Time will tell if Wheelersburg is the second best team in the league. (I think Oak Hill is clearly the best by far)

But without question Wheelersburg is the 2nd most talented team in the SOC II.

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

I was lookin at the schedule. Why are we playin webster twice in a wk

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. (D Jay on Hustle & Flow)

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

Mad-Dogg wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:27 pm I was lookin at the schedule. Why are we playin webster twice in a wk
Because of the football run, several games were rescheduled and you have to fit them in when both teams can make it work.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

ItsMyOpinion wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:55 am Time will tell if Wheelersburg is the second best team in the league. (I think Oak Hill is clearly the best by far)

Agree completely. I'm actually surprised that people (well, LucasDavenport) are actually debating their talent. Best player in the league (and probably SE Ohio), surrounded by athletes that win state titles in Football and Baseball (Dyer, Lowry, etc) -- mixed in with the best freshman in the SOC (Truitt). From an athletic standpoint Waverly is the only one that comes close to them --- with Oak Hill clearly in the lead. I thought maybe Minford would compare athletically but after they just got blasted by West I retracted that thought.

Should be a good year for Wheelersburg. After looking at the schedule above, it should be a 16-18 win season, and a very strong chance at a district championship as long as they avoid Oak Hill at the Convo.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
gametime
SE

Post by gametime »

bbjunky81 wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:25 am
ItsMyOpinion wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:55 am Time will tell if Wheelersburg is the second best team in the league. (I think Oak Hill is clearly the best by far)

Agree completely. I'm actually surprised that people (well, LucasDavenport) are actually debating their talent. Best player in the league (and probably SE Ohio), surrounded by athletes that win state titles in Football and Baseball (Dyer, Lowry, etc) -- mixed in with the best freshman in the SOC (Truitt). From an athletic standpoint Waverly is the only one that comes close to them --- with Oak Hill clearly in the lead. I thought maybe Minford would compare athletically but after they just got blasted by West I retracted that thought.

Should be a good year for Wheelersburg. After looking at the schedule above, it should be a 16-18 win season, and a very strong chance at a district championship as long as they avoid Oak Hill at the Convo.
With all these best players around, They shouldn't lose a game :o

You can't handle the truth
bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

INFIELD wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:17 am

They will, they’ll lose to Oak Hill twice.

But they do have the best player in SE Ohio (Holden, several D1 offers) and Truitt is the best freshman in the SOC. After that they don’t have great basketball players but very good athletes.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
seopcommenter
Riding the Bench
Location: i like to back my statemints up with historical factoids

Post by seopcommenter »

plenty of football guys there fourwheelersburg goes two the reginalds i guess if they keep theyre pad level low and display grit that theywin at least eighteengames

Sport Fan
JV Team

Post by Sport Fan »

bbjunky81 wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:58 am
INFIELD wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:17 am

They will, they’ll lose to Oak Hill twice.

But they do have the best player in SE Ohio (Holden, several D1 offers) and Truitt is the best freshman in the SOC. After that they don’t have great basketball players but very good athletes.
They will be Oka Hill 1 of the 2

Football fan
Riding the Bench

Post by Football fan »

art_vandelay wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:04 am Don't know why Prater left, but Burg getting Bradford as an assistant coach is huge. Don't think it'll be for long though as Bradford obviously still wants to coach and someone will hire him as head coach. Based on his success at East, I always thought he'd be a good fit at another SOC I school like Clay or Notre Dame if one of those jobs ever opened up.*
Prayer left to be a teacher at fairnint high school near Dayton to run the firefighter paramedic training program and is the head coach at Eaton high school no choice way better job then anything around here

Return to “Boys Basketball”