Re: SEOAL - The Final History - Champions - POY - COY

Post by Ironman92 »

Thanks locos

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

RIP to Gallipolis' Tony Moore.

The 2002 SEOAL MVP. That was also my senior year. A tremendous competitor. And what a run for Blue Devil basketball.

Gone way too soon.

Raiderball
SEOPS H

Post by Raiderball »

You have Ryan Robinson from Marietta listed as a C with height unknown - you could be right. I was thinking he was a PG for them. Maybe 5'10. I could have him confused with someone else though.

Thanks for posting. A lot of history there. Met a lot of good people during my years in the SEOAL at Jackson and River Valley.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Ed Spriggs of Jackson may have been the best the SEOAL or SEO ever had at the high school level and that was back when there was only "A" and "AA" divisions with Jackson in with the big boys.
1858 pts (2nd in OHSAA history behind Jerry Lucas @ that point)
2 time SEOAL MVP and POY , Avg 20 rpg in high school , High school All American,
3 time All-state (Hm soph, 24.8ppg, 1st Team Jr 30.8ppg & Sr 29.1 ppg, State player of year)
Played for Miami Hurricanes when they had Rick Barry of NBA Fame.
Averaged 22 ppg on freshman team (before freshmen were eligible for varsity play)
Soph. year only played in 7 games (I don't know if he was injured, dropped out or what ?)
- Ed Passed away in 2012 @ 68 yr. Old in Columbus. He worked 35 yr for Consolidated Freight-

" RIP BIG GUY"

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... 5qCGXFQf2V

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... PI-nwjVMf4

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
Reds Fan
JV Team

Post by Reds Fan »

thanks for posting, this was some interesting info!

allamericanironman
All Conference

Post by allamericanironman »

FANOSPORTS wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:06 am Ed Spriggs of Jackson may have been the best the SEOAL or SEO ever had at the high school level and that was back when there was only "A" and "AA" divisions with Jackson in with the big boys.
2 time SEOAL MVP and POY , Avg 20 rpg in high school , High school All American,
3 time All-state (Hm soph, 24.8ppg, 1st Team Jr 30.8ppg & Sr 29.1 ppg, State player of year)
Averaged 22 ppg on freshman team (before freshmen were eligible for varsity play)
Soph. year only played in 7 games (I don't know if he was injured, dropped out or what ?)
- Ed Passed away in 2012 @ 68 yr. Old in Columbus. He worked 35 yr for Consolidated Freight-

" RIP BIG GUY"

He was like a big 7 footer today. He was a monster of a man I remember stories and all the pictures. I still picture him with the net either on his head or around his neck he made it look small. A monster of a man! Thanks for the memories big man!

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

allamericanironman wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:29 am
FANOSPORTS wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:06 am Ed Spriggs of Jackson may have been the best the SEOAL or SEO ever had at the high school level and that was back when there was only "A" and "AA" divisions with Jackson in with the big boys.

" RIP BIG GUY"

He was like a big 7 footer today. He was a monster of a man I remember stories and all the pictures. I still picture him with the net either on his head or around his neck he made it look small. A monster of a man! Thanks for the memories big man!
Willie Woodard from Jackson is listed on previous posts here also and he was closer to 6' 6" than the 6'3" listed on POY list (1991)on this thread. His Mom & Dad are from Middleport & Pomeroy originally and family on my Dad's side with his Mom.

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

FANOSPORTS wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:58 pm
allamericanironman wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:29 am

" RIP BIG GUY"

Willie Woodard from Jackson is listed on previous posts here also and he was closer to 6' 6" than the 6'3" listed on POY list (1991)on this thread. His Mom & Dad are from Middleport & Pomeroy originally and family on my Dad's side with his Mom.
Woodard was 6’6 in high school....he’s still a good 6’5 at age 44

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Ironman92 wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:35 pm Willie Woodard from Jackson is listed on previous posts here also and he was closer to 6' 6" than the 6'3" listed on POY list (1991)on this thread. His Mom & Dad are from Middleport & Pomeroy originally and family on my Dad's side with his Mom.
The SEOAL release from '91 lists him at 6'3 and the All-SE District teams lists him at 6'4 FWIW. That's where I got the number from.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

loganlocos wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 12:32 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:35 pm Willie Woodard from Jackson is listed on previous posts here also and he was closer to 6' 6" than the 6'3" listed on POY list (1991)on this thread. His Mom & Dad are from Middleport & Pomeroy originally and family on my Dad's side with his Mom.
The SEOAL release from '91 lists him at 6'3 and the All-SE District teams lists him at 6'4 FWIW. That's where I got the number from.
To start the 90-91 season 6’4 was maybe his height but he was one of Jackson’s rare 6’6 players

Return to “Boys Basketball”