2017-2018 Basketball Season

Truth&fiction
Varsity

2017-2018 Basketball Season

Post by Truth&fiction »

I was driving along a Ross County road and I thought I saw a field of nicely shaped pumpkins but I went a little further and I saw a group of men loading them in a bus so I stopped . They were in fact loading basketballs that had been planted earlier in the season . I will not name the coaches but they were intense in getting the best one s in the field . Now I know Basketball season is coming because of my observation . Good luck to all the teams !!!

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Re: 2017-2018 Basketball Season

Post by Truth&fiction »

Practice starts Nov 3rd . Please share a preview of your favorite team .

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

The Southeastern District's all time winningest program, the Portsmouth Trojans, will return 3 starters from last season's 17-8 district semifinal team. 6-1 SR Reese Johnson, 6-2 SR Daniel Jordan, and 5-8 SR DJ Eley all come back to give the Trojans plenty of experience at key positions. In addition, PHS has added a senior transfer, 6-3 SR Isaac Kelly (QB on the football team). Kelly will compete with MyQuel McKinley, a 6-3 JR, for the 5 spot. 6-1 sophomore Matthew Fraulini looks to fill the scoring void left by the graduation of Portsmouth's 4th leading scorer in school history, Kendal Reynolds. Fraulini has a complete package of skills, and has a very athletic style to his game. Also competing for minutes will be, 6-5 SR Gabe Gambill, 5-10 JR Daniel Lattimore, 5-10 senior Deonta Parker, 6-0 JR Anthony Ferrara, 6-5 JR Collin Boehm, 5-10 JR Aubrey Holley, and 6-2 JR Andrew Meadows.

Overall, the Trojans should have more size, muscle, and athleticism than last year's squad. Scoring ability will be adequate, especially with Fraulini's talents. Portsmouth has an excellent chance to at least match last year's win total, and also has the talent to advance to the regionals come March. In OVC play, Fairland is the obvious favorite, but look for the Trojans to be very competitive and be in the top 3 of what appears to be a very good league in 2017-2018.

Eugene Collins begins his 9th year at PHS, with an overall record of 139-56, leading the Trojans to 2 Final 4's (2011 and 2012), a regional runnerup (2015), a district runnerup (2014), and 5 sectional titles. In this decade from 2010-present, Portsmouth has the best tournament resume of any school in the SE district. It is not a program of the past, but cherishes the championships, banners, trophies, great players, and great teams from years gone by.

GO TROJANS 2017-2018!!
Last edited by trojandave on Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Unioto returns 4 starters off of a season where they finished 19-6 and were SVC champions for the 4th consecutive season. The season finished in a 1 point loss to Vinton County in the District Championship game.

The Shermans are coached by Matt Hoops, who enters his 11th season at the helm and holds a 147-84 record at the school. The Shermans are 88-12 over the past 4 seasons and are looking to keep that run going.

Seniors Logan Swackhammer (6'1, Flagler College), Brandon Kennedy (6'1, Concord University), Peyton Hill (6'4), and Gabe Fisher (6'0) all return and have loads of experience, Swackhammer is a 4 year varsity player and the other 3 are 3 year players. Senior Nick Adkins (6'5) should have a bigger role this season after a football injury gave him a late start a year ago. Juniors Chance Smith (5'11), Justin Manson (5'9), Gabe McBee (6'2), among others will compete for PT and all have unique skill sets that should mix in well. Sophomores Cade McKee (6'1) and Nate Keiser (5'10) will be in the mix as well. Look out for Freshmen Carson and Cameron Debord (5'11) to possibly get a shot as well.

They lost a solid group of role players and winners, so that could take a bit to properly mix and fall into roles, but that's what Coach Hoops and Easterday do really well. There will be another really good scrimmage season before the Shermans start with Logan on 12/2.

The Scioto Valley Conference will be a little better overall. Paint Valley and Zane Trace should compete for 2nd. ZT has an outstanding Sophomore class and should be really dangerous by tournament time. PV still features 6'10 Dylan Swingle (Duquesne) and has a couple of really nice guards and shooters to surround him.

Westfall, Piketon, and Southeastern should follow. Piketon could push for 2nd. Adena and Huntington will each have a couple of players, but will likely lag behind.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Chillicothe lost a couple of solid seniors, including one who averaged approximately 75 PPG against Unioto in the regular season lol, but return Brandon Maughmer and if it was only him, that would be enough to be a top tier team in our area. However, they also return the Roderick twins, who both made major strides last year and Jason Benson. Plus, Maughmer's younger brother (don't want to butcher the spelling) is going to be a star. That's a really nice starting 5.

They are well coached and will do what they always do and that's improve throughout the season. They also got some nice size in as a transfer, I'm not sure if he'll be eligible immediately, but he'll make a major impact when he can play. 6'5-6'6 and can step outside and shoot as well.

Last year, the Cavs had 8 nonleague games and their schedule was insane, this year, they'll have 12 nonleague games and I can only assume that the schedule will be even stronger. They will need to be prepared to compete in the Central District, but they'll have the star that they need to play with anyone and will straight up guard you.

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

Scrimmages are starting . What's going on tomorrow ? Like to take in at least one . Any suggestions ?

Tri-StateYouthSports
SEOP

Post by Tri-StateYouthSports »

Fairland @ Eastern Brown

Post by VisionQuest »

Truth&fiction wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:29 pm Scrimmages are starting . What's going on tomorrow ? Like to take in at least one . Any suggestions ?
Athens @ Belpre

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Nov 11 12:00

Harvest Prep @ Piketon

Return to “Boys Basketball”