Oak hill 2017-2018

Jackson_ironmen07
Waterboy

Oak hill 2017-2018

Post by Jackson_ironmen07 »

How are the Oaks looking for this year?
Any transfers coming into the program?
How many kids do they return from last years team?

Bballfan2
Waterboy

Re: Oak hill 2017-2018

Post by Bballfan2 »

With the top 4 returning and Darby coming in from rock hill..this team is gonna be fun to watch. I can see them being a final four team

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Oak Hill should really have a strong team, and be the prohibitive favorite to win the SOC. I think making the regionals is a very realistic goal for the Oaks, but with Africentric, The Wellington School, and Harvest Prep all moving up to D3 with the competitive balance factor, making the Final 4 out of Athens just became much more difficult for any D3 SE district school. I don't know what OH's non-conference schedule is, but it would be very beneficial to them to play a very quick, athletic team with athletes similar to what those schools have. The SOC will not prepare the Oaks for that level of competition. As good as Portsmouth Clay was last year, they had a difficult time matching up with The Wellington School in the regional final.

Oak Hill by no means has an easy road just to get to the regionals. Portsmouth, Eastern Pike (now D3), Ironton, and South Point are going to be some of the challengers to the Oaks for that district title.

falcon117
Riding the Bench

Post by falcon117 »

trojandave wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:08 am Oak Hill should really have a strong team, and be the prohibitive favorite to win the SOC. I think making the regionals is a very realistic goal for the Oaks, but with Africentric, The Wellington School, and Harvest Prep all moving up to D3 with the competitive balance factor, making the Final 4 out of Athens just became much more difficult for any D3 SE district school. I don't know what OH's non-conference schedule is, but it would be very beneficial to them to play a very quick, athletic team with athletes similar to what those schools have. The SOC will not prepare the Oaks for that level of competition. As good as Portsmouth Clay was last year, they had a difficult time matching up with The Wellington School in the regional final.

Oak Hill by no means has an easy road just to get to the regionals. Portsmouth, Eastern Pike (now D3), Ironton, and South Point are going to be some of the challengers to the Oaks for that district title.
Completely agree. Oak Hill should have an easy time with the SOC. Burg is the only team I can see competing with them. As far as regionals are concerned, the Oaks have one thing that no other team has. Norm Persin. He will have his team better prepared than any other team he will face IMO. Also, let's not forget that Fairland moved up a division so that is a positive for other D3 teams, but the teams moving up into D3 will definitely cause some problems.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Paint Valley will be another competitor for a District crown, simply because of Dylan Swingle.

The Oaks should be really fun to watch this year and should coast to an SOC title. Wheelersburg and Waverly should both be pretty good, but I think Oak Hill is a good bit above them.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Norm Persin is a great coach, but our coach at Portsmouth, Eugene Collins, has 2 Final 4's and a regional final in just 8 years on his resume and he prepares his teams very well also, with the added pressure of coaching the tradition rich Trojans. He is 5-0 vs. Ironton's Mark Lafon, Chesapeake's Ryan Davis, and Eastern's Tom Barrick(Wheelersburg) in regional play. Also, the Central District teams are not going to be intimidated by Coach Persin. In that part of Ohio, there are some good coaches also but talent prevails more often than coaching. No team in the SE district will be able to match the talent that the Central District representative will bring to the Convo.

Ukfanatic
Varsity

Post by Ukfanatic »

This is the same Oak Hill team that lost to a below average Southeastern last year in the tournament when Persin sat back in his chair and folded his arms and didn't coach at all in the second half. Norm is a hall of fame Coach and Oak Hill is very talented. Not sure they have what it takes to make a deep run. Waverly and Wheelersburg will not go down easily. I think it will be more competitive than what most people think!

Bballfan2
Waterboy

Post by Bballfan2 »

Ukfanatic wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:51 pm This is the same Oak Hill team that lost to a below average Southeastern last year in the tournament when Persin sat back in his chair and folded his arms and didn't coach at all in the second half. Norm is a hall of fame Coach and Oak Hill is very talented. Not sure they have what it takes to make a deep run. Waverly and Wheelersburg will not go down easily. I think it will be more competitive than what most people think!

This is not the same team that lost to southeastern..last year southeastern didn't even guard 1 of 5 players n that game. Oak hill brings the top 4 back and a 6"5 player who averaged 19 a game as a sophomore who plays every position. He is gonna make oak hill alot better

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Bballfan2 wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:48 pm
Ukfanatic wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:51 pm This is the same Oak Hill team that lost to a below average Southeastern last year in the tournament when Persin sat back in his chair and folded his arms and didn't coach at all in the second half. Norm is a hall of fame Coach and Oak Hill is very talented. Not sure they have what it takes to make a deep run. Waverly and Wheelersburg will not go down easily. I think it will be more competitive than what most people think!

This is not the same team that lost to southeastern..last year southeastern didn't even guard 1 of 5 players n that game. Oak hill brings the top 4 back and a 6"5 player who averaged 19 a game as a sophomore who plays every position. He is gonna make oak hill alot better
Gotta get them into foul trouble...but not always easy but definitely had troubles due to that in tourney last year

Sportsman
Riding the Bench

Post by Sportsman »

Seen the oaks 3 times last year. 2 very good guards and 2 nice wing players. No Post play and NO bench. Yes they lost to a not so great SE team but those problems showed up. Not sure if Oak Hill can develop a bench this year that may be the key to the league title and a decent tournament run.

dontreply
Freshman Team

Post by dontreply »

Norm can't ,never did ,never will win the BIG games, not sure why but he just seems to shut down in the spot light.

Dandy Don
All Conference

Post by Dandy Don »

dontreply wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:52 pm Norm can't ,never did ,never will win the BIG games, not sure why but he just seems to shut down in the spot light.
Yeah those State Tourney wins and championships are never really "spotlight" type of games. Good thought.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

dontreply wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:52 pm Norm can't ,never did ,never will win the BIG games, not sure why but he just seems to shut down in the spot light.
Agreed. A State Championship is no big deal :roll:

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

This is undoubtedly the dumbest post I've ever seen on here.. It's so insanely ridiculous I don't even know where to begin.

I guess the point's already been made but I'll say it again - State Title.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
AllAboutTheU
Freshman Team

Post by AllAboutTheU »

I agree- State Title!

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

bbjunky81 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:14 am
This is undoubtedly the dumbest post I've ever seen on here.. It's so insanely ridiculous I don't even know where to begin.

I guess the point's already been made but I'll say it again - State Title.
The username says it all.

Bring the Heat
Freshman Team

Post by Bring the Heat »

It is a shame for the Oak Hill folks that the Hale kid is such a good basketball player or didn't graduate.
Norm could have got one more really good transfer in and started him.
Then the state title could be with all Oak Hill kids coming off the bench.
lol

Norm is a great coach though so not his fault kids want to come and play for him.
He is fun to watch and gets the most out of his kids.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

The Oaks should be outstanding and win a District title this season. The Regional is now insane with the privates from Columbus bumping up a division, but I think the Oaks will be able to compete with anyone as long as they stay out of foul trouble.

rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

Jackson_ironmen07 wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:02 am How are the Oaks looking for this year?
Oaks wouldn’t have anyone transferring in would they?

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

rxburgfan wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:24 pm [quote=Jackson_ironmen07 post_id=<a href="tel:1604875">1604875</a> time=<a href="tel:1509422520">1509422520</a> user_id=13326]
How are the Oaks looking for this year?
Oaks wouldn’t have anyone transferring in would they?
[/quote]

You not gonna be rooting for Truitt next 4 years then? Or Lowery either?*

Return to “Boys Basketball”