2017/18 FAC Thoughts/Predictions?

goblue1395
Freshman Team

2017/18 FAC Thoughts/Predictions?

Post by goblue1395 »

I'm not sure how the league will shape up this year. Obviously Chillicothe returns as the favorite in my opinion. I'm not sure of Jackson as I don't know much about their basketball program. Hillsboro has a lot of returning players, so they could be poised for a good season. Miami Trace lost a TON last year. They have Two seniors this year that will be great players in the league and I believe there is a big drop off after that. Greenfield actually has some talent coming up and they have a real good sophomore in the Mischal kid. They are always scrappy and they could surprise some people in the FAC. Finally, Washington CH is a young team with no seniors on the roster to my knowledge. They lost some pretty good players but return their best player in junior guard Evan Upthegrove. If I had to guess I would say they will start 5 Juniors this season that are all very athletic and can play. I think they will compete with Chilli for the first ever FAC title in Basketball. I really have no clue about the Ironmen so if any fans could provide some input that would be awesome. Any other thoughts/predictions?

Omega
SEOPS H

Re: 2017/18 FAC Thoughts/Predictions?

Post by Omega »

As good as the first season of FAC football competition was, that cage season should be better. Chillicothe should lead the way, but all the other schools have the history and tradition to have a say. The FAC has the makeup to be the premier basketball league in SEO on an annual basis.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

I agree that Chillicothe should be the team to beat in the FAC. I would also think that this league will have good attendance by visiting fans, since travel time is very reasonable. Unfortuanately for the FAC, there probably won't be much talk on SEOPS about it because it seems if a school is west of Rt.23, which 4 are, it's almost as if they don't exist on here. Hopefully there will be some people talking up the league on SEOPS.

Actually, Chillicothe is west of the Rt.23 bypass, but I'm referring to Hillsboro, Greenfield McClain, Washington CH, and Miami Trace. I've seen CH, Miami Trace, and Chillicothe mentioned in Pfloyd's top 8 rankings from time to time, but that's about all the pub you see about these schools.

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

West of 23 would not keep me from posting . News and updates about any Southern Ohio teams should be of interest . IMO . Some pretty good teams westward and darn good teams eastward also!

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Chillicothe wins it going away this year. But, Washington, Jackson, and Hillsboro are all going to be improved ballclubs. Miami Trace and McClain each will have one really good player and had pretty bad lower level teams. Maybe that one player can elevate them on certain nights, but I'd love for those 2 to be at the bottom.

goblue1395
Freshman Team

Post by goblue1395 »

danicalifornia wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:18 pm Chillicothe wins it going away this year. But, Washington, Jackson, and Hillsboro are all going to be improved ballclubs. Miami Trace and McClain each will have one really good player and had pretty bad lower level teams. Maybe that one player can elevate them on certain nights, but I'd love for those 2 to be at the bottom.
Trace has 2 seniors that will be first team all league players. They have Darby Tyree who's every bit of 6'6" and can shoot the ball. The other one is Cameron Carter, he's a very good ballplayer as well. I got to watch both of them play last year against WCH and they looked impressive. The Carter kid came off the bench last year due to the huge senior class, but he's a player. Definitely though after those two, I don't think they have much. Greenfield has the Mischal kid who is a sophomore and he seems like he's gonna be a stud in the future but after that idk what they have.

Bring the Heat
Freshman Team

Post by Bring the Heat »

I was told at work from a Jackson person that they return four, three year starters.
He didn't know much more. I would say they should be experienced it sounds like.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

goblue1395 wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:47 am
danicalifornia wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:18 pm Chillicothe wins it going away this year. But, Washington, Jackson, and Hillsboro are all going to be improved ballclubs. Miami Trace and McClain each will have one really good player and had pretty bad lower level teams. Maybe that one player can elevate them on certain nights, but I'd love for those 2 to be at the bottom.
Trace has 2 seniors that will be first team all league players. They have Darby Tyree who's every bit of 6'6" and can shoot the ball. The other one is Cameron Carter, he's a very good ballplayer as well. I got to watch both of them play last year against WCH and they looked impressive. The Carter kid came off the bench last year due to the huge senior class, but he's a player. Definitely though after those two, I don't think they have much. Greenfield has the Mischal kid who is a sophomore and he seems like he's gonna be a stud in the future but after that idk what they have.
My bad, I thought that Carter was a senior last year. Those two alone will make MT pretty good.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Jackson returns 3 of their top players and top 3 scorers. Lost a key bench guy in Blake McCoy and also won’t have Reid Evans due to football injury.

Soph guard Caleb Wallis and freshman Treylan Davis might play big roles. Sophomore Brice Graham probably sees some good minutes.

Cooper Donaldson 6’2 jr
Carson Spohn 6’2 sr
Peyton Speakman 6’0 sr

Those 3 are top returning players and scorers

Jackson kids will play hard and battle everyone

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Ironman92 wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:35 pm Jackson returns 3 of their top players and top 3 scorers. Lost a key bench guy in Blake McCoy and also won’t have Reid Evans due to football injury.

Soph guard Caleb Wallis and freshman Treylan Davis might play big roles. Sophomore Brice Graham probably sees some good minutes.

Cooper Donaldson 6’2 jr
Carson Spohn 6’2 sr
Peyton Speakman 6’0 sr

Is Wallis the undersized guard? Because Jackson had a small guard on JV last year that was super gutty and really good. Was awesome to watch and I imagine will continue to improve steadily. Great to see the Ironmen improving and they have a great young coach and coaching staff. Outstanding future in Jackson!

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

danicalifornia wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:57 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:35 pm Jackson returns 3 of their top players and top 3 scorers. Lost a key bench guy in Blake McCoy and also won’t have Reid Evans due to football injury.

Cooper Donaldson 6’2 jr
Carson Spohn 6’2 sr
Peyton Speakman 6’0 sr

Is Wallis the undersized guard? Because Jackson had a small guard on JV last year that was super gutty and really good. Was awesome to watch and I imagine will continue to improve steadily. Great to see the Ironmen improving and they have a great young coach and coaching staff. Outstanding future in Jackson!
Yeah...Wallis near 5’4 but gritty as can be and very talented. Could be a key player for sure.

CavalierAlum05
Varsity

Post by CavalierAlum05 »

biased opinion here but I think Chillicothe wins the league pretty easily. I can see 1 league loss. Chillicothe will be pretty tough this year. Brandon Maughmer will be player of the year in the league. I think this league has a lot of potential on the hardwood.

We are playing this week in week11 playoffs but i cant wait to get out the round balls! Its time for popcorn and skittles!

IronTough2
Riding the Bench

Post by IronTough2 »

The league will definitely have a different look compared to Football. Excited to see some good basketball and sportsmanship. Could be some surprise teams for sure but have to agree, Chillicothe is definitely the early favorite!

miggyt
Freshman Team

Post by miggyt »

I believe CHS added the Postage kid from Adena.

goblue1395
Freshman Team

Post by goblue1395 »

I was able to watch WCH last night against Unioto and they look very athletic. A lot of speed on the floor at all times. With that being said, they brought 9-10 kids and all of them were between 5'10" and 6'1" with the exception of one kid who is a 6'3"-6'4" sophomore, and also a guard that is about 5'7". They will be undersized against probably every team they play this year, so they will have to use their speed and athleticism to their advantage. They return Junior Evan Upthegrove, who was First Team All-District last year I believe, and should be the majority of their scoring attack. He has some decent shooters around him as well, and they all play pretty hard defensively. Overall they are a very young team, and if they use their speed and athleticism to their advantage, they could make some noise this year in the FAC. Any other insight on scrimmages that MT, Jackson, Hillsboro, McClain, or Chilli have had? How are the other teams around the league looking?

CavalierAlum05
Varsity

Post by CavalierAlum05 »

goblue1395 wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:52 am I was able to watch WCH last night against Unioto and they look very athletic. A lot of speed on the floor at all times. With that being said, they brought 9-10 kids and all of them were between 5'10" and 6'1" with the exception of one kid who is a 6'3"-6'4" sophomore, and also a guard that is about 5'7". They will be undersized against probably every team they play this year, so they will have to use their speed and athleticism to their advantage. They return Junior Evan Upthegrove, who was First Team All-District last year I believe, and should be the majority of their scoring attack. He has some decent shooters around him as well, and they all play pretty hard defensively. Overall they are a very young team, and if they use their speed and athleticism to their advantage, they could make some noise this year in the FAC. Any other insight on scrimmages that MT, Jackson, Hillsboro, McClain, or Chilli have had? How are the other teams around the league looking?
How did they fair against Unioto?

goblue1395
Freshman Team

Post by goblue1395 »

They competed with them. Unioto definitely looked better, winning almost all of the quarters. WCH looked better than i had anticipated though. Like i said, very athletic but undersized.

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

So far In the new league I've been to Hillsboro and courthouse. The new FAC basketball league is intense , competitive , and exciting. IMO rivalries are being established . Looking forward to traveling to greenfield and Chillicothe.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Poo Bear wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:27 pm So far In the new league I've been to Hillsboro and courthouse. The new FAC basketball league is intense , competitive , and exciting. IMO rivalries are being established . Looking forward to traveling to greenfield and Chillicothe.
You left out MT which will be much of the same. The talent level of this league is very close....wins and losses really coming own to big plays and clutch execution

Return to “Boys Basketball”