SVC 2017-18

Killer Krossover
Waterboy

SVC 2017-18

Post by Killer Krossover »

Many are picking the U as the favorite this year, which they may well deserve. It seems though that everyone is giving 2nd to PV or ZT; I think this is going to be a great year for SVC basketball.

Anyone have a thought who may knock Unioto off first?

KRS
JV Team

Re: SVC 2017-18

Post by KRS »

Unioto
Paint Valley
Zane trace
Piketon
Paint Valley will have the best chance to knock of Unioto if they can handle their pressure but wouldn't be surprised if it is another undefeated year for the Tanks.

Adena
Southeastern
Huntington
Westfall.
Last edited by KRS on Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bsee12345
Varsity

Post by bsee12345 »

Would have to say the Unioto is favorite til somebody knocks them off. However, Unioto does have holes to fill and I think Paint Valley can give Unioto a run for its money but PV has to develop some depth. I am told the starting 5 for PV can play with anyone in the SVC but when going to bench there has been a major drop off.

Killer Krossover
Waterboy

I think the SVC is more balanced this year than the past. ZT has the pieces to knock them off; Paint Valley and SE going to be good, Westfall had good JV team last year. Piketon lost several seniors.

Preseason:
Unioto
Zane Trace
Paint Valley
Southeastern
Westfall
Piketon
Huntington
Adena

Lightle72
Riding the Bench

Post by Lightle72 »

If you are not familiar with the name Tanner Purdue is a very good player . Piketon can surprise some teams.

KRS
JV Team

Post by KRS »

Killer Krossover wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:24 am I think the SVC is more balanced this year than the past. ZT has the pieces to knock them off; Paint Valley and SE going to be good, Westfall had good JV team last year. Piketon lost several seniors.

Preseason:
Unioto
Zane Trace
Paint Valley
Southeastern
Westfall
Piketon
Huntington
Adena

I would love to see Southeastern in the top half above Piketon but they are coming off two down years 17-34 over that span and graduated three senior starters from last years team that finished 7th. Piketon picked up a nice player that makes them better right away . Westfall entire team was basically seniors last year and they still finished at the bottom, if their JV team was that good they would have been playing varsity last year. May be totally off but just don't see those teams cracking the top 4. The bottom half will be balanced .

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Westfall is a strange case. Obviously, you play your best and if your JV guys are ready, then they need to play, but the Mustangs also had 7-8 seniors last year and that made it tougher to bring those guys up. Then, they brought the younger Wyman up and he got injured really quickly.

I think they will be better offensively, but strength wise will be tough for them. Wyman is a great shooter and Nunemaker is a very solid guard. I believe they have a solid post player who is a sophomore as well. I think the Mustangs will be in the mix for 5th with SE and should be pretty good in 18-19.

Piketon picking up Perdue will really help their ability to score the ball, as that was what they were looking like they would struggle with this season.

miggyt
Freshman Team

Post by miggyt »

Well, SE is off to a rough start, by cutting a senior who was an occasional starter and a great "glue" guy off the bench. He is a kid held in high regard by his teammates. So, that might be an early distraction.

se-alum
All Conference

Post by se-alum »

I wouldn't sleep on Adena surprising some people this year, they'll be young, but have a very talented Freshmen class.

KRS
JV Team

Post by KRS »

Should be a fun year . I think everyone agrees with the top 3 , the rest could be a crap shoot. If Southeasterns football gets another win this week, Which is highly probable they could really struggle at the beginning of the season.

Killer Krossover
Waterboy

Is the Perdue kid at Piketon 6'6"? I heard they had a 6'6" player move in this year. Who knows, may be a rumor.

I also heard ZT picked up a nice player transfer from Waverly. True?

Any other varsity transfers?

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Killer Krossover wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:59 pm Is the Perdue kid at Piketon 6'6"? I heard they had a 6'6" player move in this year. Who knows, may be a rumor.

I also heard ZT picked up a nice player transfer from Waverly. True?

Any other varsity transfers?
Pretty sure Perdue is right around 6 foot. He can really fill it up though, so that's going to be a big help for the Streaks.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Purdue will be in the discussion for player of the year this season and I think Piketon has the only legit chance of knocking off the U . Lost to them by 8 and 4 last year and they've gotten better. I believe Unioto brings back 4 of their top scorers from last year so they're gonna be a handful for anyone. Piketon will finish in the top 3 in the
SVC

1. Unioto
2. Piketon
3. Paint Valley
4. ZT
5. SE
6. Huntington
7. Westfall
8. Adena

Killer Krossover
Waterboy

Sounds like Piketon is the variable in the conference this year. I agree they got stronger as the year went along lat year, and they seem to play the U very well. I think Unioto is at Piketon early this season which may be interesting. There's always seems to be a team to rise up. I think it is what makes the SVC such a great league. Piketon anywhere from 2-6.

SE lost last night, so how does that impact their team now?

Also, I hear Mike Smith is back on the radio this year? Hope so!

Killer Krossover
Waterboy

Went to Piketon to watch them scrimmage a deep and talented Harvest Prep today. Walked away impressed by both! Great 1st scrimmage to start the year off with!

HP shot the ball extremely well, and played pressure man 2 man defense all day. Very deep team! HP is legit!

I was told the Streaks are a little banged up (2 starters out, 3 w/ injuries played) but they are definitely deeper and faster;The Purdue kid is as mentioned- a top player in SE Ohio. He is a HANDFUL! The Warriors pressured them all day, but Piketons guards were able to overcome early jitters to put together a nice performance. They hung with HP all day. I doubt they'll see that kind of relentless pressure in SVC! Both won and lost quarters.

Piketon napkin takeaways after scrimmage:

1. I stand corrected on my prediction: Piketon is legitimately a top 1-4 SVC team; They weren't completely healthy either. That could be scary! Better be ready to run!

2. Blanton with Purdue could be as tough 1-2 combo as you'll see. Add the other three guards, if they play like they did today, scoring will not be an issue (as someone mentioned in above post). Blanton is lightning quick and can shoot it!

3. They lack some size but their speed compensates. Will be fun to watch.

I was trying to think of a Piketon player who Purdue reminds me of... I have to go back a few years...Doug Williams. He has the all the tools and strength!

Any other scrimmages in SVC?

AnkleBraces
Freshman Team

Post by AnkleBraces »

This scrimmage was worth the drive! Harvest Prep is nice and had the gym rockin with energy. Piketon showed some early jitters but settled in to win a quarter or two. Piketon will have one of the fastest teams in the league and if they truly had two starters out and can compete with HP then Piketon might have another annual trip to the Convo coming up. Will be watching this team from a distance. My Shermans will need to be ready at The Oven!

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

This coming Wednesday Piketon will be @ Jackson with a good South Point team there for a 3 way scrimmage.

Lightle72
Riding the Bench

Post by Lightle72 »

I have had the privledge of watching Tanner play the last 3 years at Western. Wait till he gets his first breakaway still and throws down a monster dunk! The ovens doors are going to blow off.

Killer Krossover
Waterboy

Looking forward to the SVC preview Friday night at the U! Looking forward to seeing other SVC schools I haven't gotten to look at yet. Anyone have a schedule of the game and times?

Updated picks:
Unioto
Piketon
Zane Trace
Paint Valley
Westfall
Southeastern
Huntington
Adena

POY: "The Hammer"(U), Swingle (PV), or Perdue (P).

HamPorter
All Conference

Post by HamPorter »

Can Piketon put enough pressure on the PV guards to slow down Swingle? That's my biggest question on the Streaks finishing above the Bearcats.

Return to “Boys Basketball”