SOC 1

Truth Serum
Riding the Bench

Re: SOC 1

Post by Truth Serum »

ItsMyOpinion wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:18 am Great Discussion!
I have not seen many of the SOC - I teams but I have seen Western. I’m really surprised the Western posters are not on here defending their kids. “Done more with less”.

I must have seen Western at their best. (vs Paint Valley) Because the night I saw them, the Western kids were definitely not “Less”. The night I saw them, they had very good players. Their pt guard was very good. He could play off the dribble AND shoot the deep 3. Their big kid could shoot the 3 and get it to the paint. The really fast off guard could shoot the 3 and did a great job of penetrating PV’s zone. Then a shooter come off the bench to light up PV’s zone. If the Western kids are not very talented than I have seen a number of teams that are a lot “Less” talented then them.
You did see western at their best in a second half of the year Game. You should have seen earlier in the year when eastern and piketon pounded them by 30. After that I thought it was gonna be a long year .
But I don’t think anyone is saying western has no talent ? Last years team was way more talented than this years team and will end up winning the same amount of games or close ?
Brewster and Humphrey were roll players with two thousand point scorers a year ago (Tanner Perdue and Bryce Brewster ). Fitch has then being aggressive and playing a style that allows this years team to be successful . They play hard . I credit the solid season (not great by any means ) to good coaching and players working Hard on the court . In no way am I slamming the players ! I am commending then on a job well done !!!! I am glad they have surprised me and had a successful season . Picked 5 or 6 on the league on this thread and to get 3rd is very good with the make-up on this years team .

I chimed in because someone asked about options for coach of the year .

Celtics22
Waterboy

Post by Celtics22 »

Truth Serum wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:23 pm
ItsMyOpinion wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:18 am Great Discussion!
I have not seen many of the SOC - I teams but I have seen Western. I’m really surprised the Western posters are not on here defending their kids. “Done more with less”.

I must have seen Western at their best. (vs Paint Valley) Because the night I saw them, the Western kids were definitely not “Less”. The night I saw them, they had very good players. Their pt guard was very good. He could play off the dribble AND shoot the deep 3. Their big kid could shoot the 3 and get it to the paint. The really fast off guard could shoot the 3 and did a great job of penetrating PV’s zone. Then a shooter come off the bench to light up PV’s zone. If the Western kids are not very talented than I have seen a number of teams that are a lot “Less” talented then them.
You did see western at their best in a second half of the year Game. You should have seen earlier in the year when eastern and piketon pounded them by 30. After that I thought it was gonna be a long year .
But I don’t think anyone is saying western has no talent ? Last years team was way more talented than this years team and will end up winning the same amount of games or close ?
Brewster and Humphrey were roll players with two thousand point scorers a year ago (Tanner Perdue and Bryce Brewster ). Fitch has then being aggressive and playing a style that allows this years team to be successful . They play hard . I credit the solid season (not great by any means ) to good coaching and players working Hard on the court . In no way am I slamming the players ! I am commending then on a job well done !!!! I am glad they have surprised me and had a successful season . Picked 5 or 6 on the league on this thread and to get 3rd is very good with the make-up on this years team .

I chimed in because someone asked about options for coach of the year .
Make no mistake about it that the young men from Latham can play even with the loss of Perdue, Dunn, & B. Brewster to graduation. I think people forget exactly how young that 13-10 Western team was last year. Started 2 sophomores (L. Brewster & Dunn), 1 freshman (Jordan), 1 junior (Perdue), & a senior (B. Brewster). First sub off the bench was a sophomore (A. Humphrey). Not to mention how loaded the SOC 1 was in senior talent (East - Brown & co., Clay - Gilliland, Riffe, Hinze, & King, Eastern - Leist, Martin, & co., & Notre Dame - Turner & co.). Lane Brewster & Alex Humphrey have showed huge growth from last year to this year and they are spearheading this team's gradual improvement as the season has progressed!

Truth Serum
Riding the Bench

Post by Truth Serum »

Celtics 22.. I agree with you on many points. Last years team had young pieces mixed in with a 1000 point post player (b.brewster) and one of the best scorers around (Perdue, also 1000 point scorer ). This year Lane Brewster and Humphrey have made great strides and are not roll players this season like they were last season. Last year , I think we were just as good or better than the teams you mentioned in last years soc I. Perdue also dominated th SVC this season. The soc I was stronger last year but I’m certain we had a team that was also stronger . It is Difficult though to compare year to year teams . I think we maybe should have one more games last year but that is not any one persons fault . The team last year needed our support more and so now does this years team .
Many kids that didn’t see the varsity floor last year are having an impact this year . I am happy for them and this years team. I support this years team just as I did last years . I think everyone should be positive and supportive and learn from our communities past mistakes .

Good luck to Indians players and staff !

Lightle72
Riding the Bench

Post by Lightle72 »

I love every kid on Westerns squad. They all play with there hart on their sleeve. Last year the league was stacked. Very few freshmen or sophomores can physically compete with a senior who has 4 years in the weight room unless the younger kid is a athletic freak which doesn’t happen much in our area. PJ has done a great job. But I feel Coach Miller did as well considering the amount of upper class men the other teams had. From my experience out home the only thing lacking is stability at the head coaching position. You can change coaches every 2 years and build a solid program. It doesn’t happen at any level college,or PRO. These boys are great kids and I hope they keep there nose to the grind stone and stay focused on getting “W”s.

BlindWhiteHat
SEOP

Post by BlindWhiteHat »

Tartanblue wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:46 pm Here is a serious question, who deserves SOC I coach of the year this season Green and New Boston who both had huge turn around from last year and Western who has improved and played better than anyone gave them credit for after losing a couple kids
There have been some coaches that have made great strides with their teams but I just don't know how you vote against a guy who may win the league by 3 games over the 2nd place team. I think you have to reward Barrick with Coach of the Year. It seems to be the logical choice.

Point blank
Freshman Team

Post by Point blank »

Well thats easy. You say would fitch won soc at eastern? Yes he would have. Would Cox won soc at eastern well yes he would have. Would coffman from sv won soc at eastern well yes he would hsve. Would hollar from green won soc at eastern well yes he would have. Would Tiny have won from Nd with eastern well yes he would have. Would adam b from clay or east have won it well yes he would have. Eastern is a D3 team whos loaded witb talent playing in a D4 league. I hate that if you win the league ur coach of the year. Thats just Bs.

HamPorter
All Conference

Post by HamPorter »

Coach of the Year should be who did the best job with the talent at hand. Did the Coach help the players make strides as individuals during the season can also be included.

It shouldn't always go to the team who won the league, but in a lot of cases, that coach usually does the best job. I've seen some coaches who have won league in spite of themselves, so it isn't always true though lol

BlindWhiteHat
SEOP

Post by BlindWhiteHat »

HamPorter wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:47 am Coach of the Year should be who did the best job with the talent at hand. Did the Coach help the players make strides as individuals during the season can also be included.

It shouldn't always go to the team who won the league, but in a lot of cases, that coach usually does the best job. I've seen some coaches who have won league in spite of themselves, so it isn't always true though lol
There have been coaches win league titles in spite of themselves. You are exactly right. I just don't think that is the case this year with Barrick.

ItsMyOpinion
Varsity

Post by ItsMyOpinion »

I have to agree with Ham’s points. “Coach of the Year” should reward the coach that does the most with his talent. A lot of times the coach of the year goes to the league champs but I don’t think it should be automatic.

I haven’t seen Eastern or New Boston this year so I really can’t comment on this year’s teams. I did see Eastern last year and knew they were a senior laden team (Older Leist, Martin and a kid that started at the post). So unless they have a transfer this year they returned 2 starters. It is well documented that Western got hit hard with graduation and players transferring out. They have 2 starters returning? I think New Boston returned everybody from last year’s team and added a transfer that starts. I do not know anything about Green other than they have had a big turnaround from last year.

So my opinion is based off limited information about the SOC - I. I would say if anybody deserves Coach of the Year besides Barrick, it would be the coach from Green. I believe Green beat New Boston once this year and just about beat Eastern. If my memory serves me correct, Green almost beat Eastern at Eastern. Of course that is just my opinion.

a_c_m
SEOPS H

Post by a_c_m »

Standings

Eastern Pike 18-3, 14-0
New Boston Glenwood 15-7, 11-3
Western Pike 13-9, 10-4
Green 12-8, 7-7
Symmes Valley 12-9, 7-7
East 5-16, 3-11
Notre Dame 3-19, 2-12
Clay 2-21, 2-12

If there are any corrections, please post
Last edited by a_c_m on Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:15 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

a_c_m wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:02 am Standings

Eastern Pike 18-3, 14-0
Western Pike 19-9, 10-4
Green 11-7, 7-6
Symmes Valley 11-9, 6-7
East 5-15, 3-11
Notre Dame 3-19, 2-12
Clay 2-20, 2-12

Western 19-9? hahaha! You mean 13-9?

a_c_m
SEOPS H

Post by a_c_m »

Hoopie74 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:32 am

Eastern Pike 18-3, 14-0
Western Pike 19-9, 10-4
Green 11-7, 7-6
Symmes Valley 11-9, 6-7
East 5-15, 3-11
Notre Dame 3-19, 2-12
Clay 2-20, 2-12

I believe you are correct. Thanks, lol

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

a_c_m wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:37 am
Hoopie74 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:32 am

Eastern Pike 18-3, 14-0
Western Pike 19-9, 10-4
Green 11-7, 7-6
Symmes Valley 11-9, 6-7
East 5-15, 3-11
Notre Dame 3-19, 2-12
Clay 2-20, 2-12

I believe you are correct. Thanks, lol
By the way a_c_m you do an excellent job with this topic.Thank you.

brown22
Varsity

Post by brown22 »

Point blank wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:05 pm Well thats easy. You say would fitch won soc at eastern? Yes he would have. Would Cox won soc at eastern well yes he would have. Would coffman from sv won soc at eastern well yes he would hsve. Would hollar from green won soc at eastern well yes he would have. Would Tiny have won from Nd with eastern well yes he would have. Would adam b from clay or east have won it well yes he would have. Eastern is a D3 team whos loaded witb talent playing in a D4 league. I hate that if you win the league ur coach of the year. Thats just Bs.
We just moved up to d3 this year....with the same kids who played d4 last year..

GO EAGLES
Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

Good luck and safe travels to all the SOC teams this tournament season.

a_c_m
SEOPS H

Post by a_c_m »

Fairfield 69 Clay 43
Whiteoak 68 East 43

Hawks1112
Varsity

Post by Hawks1112 »

Is Green finial overall record just 11-7, they have to have play more games then that

a_c_m
SEOPS H

Post by a_c_m »

Hawks1112 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:28 am Is Green finial overall record just 11-7, they have to have play more games then that
Eastern Pike 20-4, 14-0
New Boston Glenwood 16-8, 11-3
Western Pike 13-10, 10-4
Green 14-10, 7-7
Symmes Valley 12-10, 7-7
East 5-16, 3-11
Notre Dame 3-19, 2-12
Clay 2-21, 2-12

They may have had some games that were postponed and not made up or not reported the scores.
Last edited by a_c_m on Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Hawks1112
Varsity

Post by Hawks1112 »

I was reading one of the newspapers online down that way,they said that Green's reserve team finish 21-0 this season

a_c_m
SEOPS H

Post by a_c_m »

3/3
Eastern Pike 59 Southeastern 45

3/4
South Webster 48 New Boston Glenwood 41
Green 68 Trimble 66

Return to “Boys Basketball”