Strength of Schedule

VisionQuest
All State

Strength of Schedule

Post by VisionQuest »

Curious as to your teams strenght of schedule and your thoughts. Do you feel teams who schedule up will better prepare them for Tournament time?? Or does a strong schedule and getting beat hurt Morale??

VisionQuest
All State

Re: Strength of Schedule

Post by VisionQuest »

Athens this year has another Strong schedule. Non-Conference alone Includes Gallia Academy, Bishop Watterson, Warren, Logan twice, Morgan, Marietta and Logan Elm. Not to mention Powerhouse VC twice and another Frontrunner in the TVC-OHIO in MEIGS. I like this Schedule and believe it will benefit Athens when they make a repeat run for the CONVO

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

I forgot to Mention JACKSON as well

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Strength of schedule as far as seedings go....is taken into consideration pretty fairly in D2 but seems to be ignored a bit in D3 and ignored completely in D4

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

I think strength of schedule is important. Gallia academy was totally unprepared for waverly last year. But what I think is even more important is creating a schedule where you see a lot of different styles of different play.

The Flash
Varsity

Post by The Flash »

I know Fairland plays Huntington WV, Akron St Vincent St Mary’s, Waterford, Waverly and they’re playing in the Beach Ball Classic in Myrtle Beach. Good preparation for d2

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

The Flash wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:03 pm I know Fairland plays Huntington WV, Akron St Vincent St Mary’s, Waterford, Waverly and they’re playing in the Beach Ball Classic in Myrtle Beach. Good preparation for d2
Fairland is definitely getting prepared. I would like to see Athens do something like this Next year. With the group they will have next year there is no reason they can't do something like this and be able to play some Major Competition.

Bud07
Freshman Team

Post by Bud07 »

Fairfield Union has Columbus South, Watterson, St. Charles, Unioto, Sheridan, New Lex, and I believe Independence.

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

Logan's schedule is obviously all non-conference, but they do play a difficult schedule, compared to last year's, maybe not as tough, but still very tough, we'll have to wait and see.

Lovebball42
Freshman Team

Post by Lovebball42 »

Waterford’s non-conference games are D3 fort frye 2x, D2 Warren, D2 Fairland, D3 Alexander, and D3 Grandview Heights

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

VisionQuest wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:16 am Athens this year has another Strong schedule. Non-Conference alone Includes Gallia Academy, Bishop Watterson, Warren, Logan twice, Morgan, Marietta and Logan Elm. Not to mention Powerhouse VC twice and another Frontrunner in the TVC-OHIO in MEIGS. I like this Schedule and believe it will benefit Athens when they make a repeat run for the CONVO
In other words Athens is playing schools in their own division and sectional. Only “up” on the Athens schedule is Logan. Rest of those are schools they MUST compete with come tournament time.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

thebarlowbandit wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:47 pm
VisionQuest wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:16 am Athens this year has another Strong schedule. Non-Conference alone Includes Gallia Academy, Bishop Watterson, Warren, Logan twice, Morgan, Marietta and Logan Elm. Not to mention Powerhouse VC twice and another Frontrunner in the TVC-OHIO in MEIGS. I like this Schedule and believe it will benefit Athens when they make a repeat run for the CONVO
In other words Athens is playing schools in their own division and sectional. Only “up” on the Athens schedule is Logan. Rest of those are schools they MUST compete with come tournament time.
Exactly!!!...Isn't that the Point. You can schedule "UP" and still play "weak" teams. From what I see their schedule has some Quality opponents that will Prepare them come Tournament time.

spartans_fan
Varsity

Post by spartans_fan »

Scheduling has so much to do with expectations. Alexander played as tough of a schedule as anyone in previous years. This year Alexander started playing more D4 schools than have been on the schedule for several years. I would think the spartans would have good talent for the next two to three years, so I am not sure why we are taking a step back in scheduling. Trimble and Waterford are very good D4 schools, but getting away from the tougher D2 schools is a step down for tournament preparation.

Go Alex.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

spartans_fan wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:55 pm Scheduling has so much to do with expectations. Alexander played as tough of a schedule as anyone in previous years. This year Alexander started playing more D4 schools than have been on the schedule for several years. I would think the spartans would have good talent for the next two to three years, so I am not sure why we are taking a step back in scheduling. Trimble and Waterford are very good D4 schools, but getting away from the tougher D2 schools is a step down for tournament preparation.

Go Alex.
Do you know if the Stone Markins kid is playing this Year?? Does he still got to Alexander?? I didn't notice him
On their Football roster this year.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

spartans_fan wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:55 pm Scheduling has so much to do with expectations. Alexander played as tough of a schedule as anyone in previous years. This year Alexander started playing more D4 schools than have been on the schedule for several years. I would think the spartans would have good talent for the next two to three years, so I am not sure why we are taking a step back in scheduling. Trimble and Waterford are very good D4 schools, but getting away from the tougher D2 schools is a step down for tournament preparation.

Go Alex.
Agreed, especially considering that they are really close to being D2 and could be as soon as next season.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

danicalifornia wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:32 pm

Go Alex.
Agreed, especially considering that they are really close to being D2 and could be as soon as next season.
Well being in the TVC-OHIO they do play Division 2 teams Athens and VC Twice each. And not to Mention Division 3 Meigs twice. So if you look at it in that Sense. Pretty tough schedule.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

VisionQuest wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:24 pm
danicalifornia wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:32 pm

Go Alex.
Well being in the TVC-OHIO they do play Division 2 teams Athens and VC Twice each. And not to Mention Division 3 Meigs twice. So if you look at it in that Sense. Pretty tough schedule.
I just looked at Alexander's schedule:

D4's- Trimble, Waterford, Fed Hocking
D3's- Southeastern, Oak Hill, Crooksville, Minford
D2's- Warren, Jackson

I have no clue what Greenup County is division-wise, but that's not a bad schedule at all. If they do move to D2, it'll need some fixing since D2 Coaches look at SOS hard, but as far as playing quality teams, there is only a couple of weak teams on their non conference schedule. That's a schedule that should get them ready for the tournament in D3.

The only difference between last year and this is that they don't play Marietta (2x last year) and play Waterford and Greenup County instead. I'm not sure that that is even a step down at this point.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

I think playing a tough schedule can be beneficial, but it is not a standard barometer on how a team will do in the tournament. I know for years that Portsmouth played a schedule that included quite a few big city schools from Columbus, Dayton, and Cincinnati, yet some of the toughest tournament games for the Trojans were against SE district teams in the sectional, district, or regional. Case in point, in 1978, the Trojans beat Wheelersburg in OT 54-52 in the sectional, then barely got by Washington CH in OT in the district championship, yet in the regional beat Columbus Mifflin handily 64-49, and then Bellaire in the regional final 75-53. The Trojans went on the win the Class AA state title.

In 1988, Portsmouth trailed Ironton by 9 points with less than 5 minutes to go in the Shawnee State sectional, but rallied to win 59-56. Gallia Academy trailed the Trojans by 28-27 heading into the 4th quarter, but PHS pulled away to win 46-37. The Trojans went on to win the very first D2 state title.

In 2011, Portsmouth beat South Point by 1 point in the sectional, with the Pointers having a 3 point shot at the buzzer to win it. The Trojans then defeated Wheelersburg 45-39 in the regional semifinal, then beat Chesapeake in the regional final 69-68.

In 2012, Portsmouth trailed Valley by 9 points with 5 minutes remaining in the district championship. PHS rallied to win 54-50, which was the Trojans closest margin of victory through the regional. PHS beat Chesapeake 53-45 and Ironton 50-40 in the regionals.

Point being, a tough schedule doesn't necessarily mean easy games in tournament play vs. SE district teams. In 1984, Portsmouth went 7-0 vs. Columbus schools yet lost to Wheelersburg 73-66 in the district championship. In 1981, Portsmouth played a rugged schedule only to lose to Hillsboro in the district championship. In 1980, the Trojans had two nailbiters in the sectional, with a 69-65 win over Rock Hill, and a 50-47 win over Chespeake. In both of those games, PHS trailed in the 4th quarter. Portsmouth beat Waverly 49-48 in the regional final.

Playing good competition only holds merit if a team makes a good tourney run. I think we all have seen teams that play tough schedules but were sitting at home while somebody else playing a much lesser slate was still playing in the tournament.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

trojandave wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:37 am I think playing a tough schedule can be beneficial, but it is not a standard barometer on how a team will do in the tournament. I know for years that Portsmouth played a schedule that included quite a few big city schools from Columbus, Dayton, and Cincinnati, yet some of the toughest tournament games for the Trojans were against SE district teams in the sectional, district, or regional. Case in point, in 1978, the Trojans beat Wheelersburg in OT 54-52 in the sectional, then barely got by Washington CH in OT in the district championship, yet in the regional beat Columbus Mifflin handily 64-49, and then Bellaire in the regional final 75-53. The Trojans went on the win the Class AA state title.

In 1988, Portsmouth trailed Ironton by 9 points with less than 5 minutes to go in the Shawnee State sectional, but rallied to win 59-56. Gallia Academy trailed the Trojans by 28-27 heading into the 4th quarter, but PHS pulled away to win 46-37. The Trojans went on to win the very first D2 state title.

In 2011, Portsmouth beat South Point by 1 point in the sectional, with the Pointers having a 3 point shot at the buzzer to win it. The Trojans then defeated Wheelersburg 45-39 in the regional semifinal, then beat Chesapeake in the regional final 69-68.

In 2012, Portsmouth trailed Valley by 9 points with 5 minutes remaining in the district championship. PHS rallied to win 54-50, which was the Trojans closest margin of victory through the regional. PHS beat Chesapeake 53-45 and Ironton 50-40 in the regionals.

Point being, a tough schedule doesn't necessarily mean easy games in tournament play vs. SE district teams. In 1984, Portsmouth went 7-0 vs. Columbus schools yet lost to Wheelersburg 73-66 in the district championship. In 1981, Portsmouth played a rugged schedule only to lose to Hillsboro in the district championship. In 1980, the Trojans had two nailbiters in the sectional, with a 69-65 win over Rock Hill, and a 50-47 win over Chespeake. In both of those games, PHS trailed in the 4th quarter. Portsmouth beat Waverly 49-48 in the regional final.

Playing good competition only holds merit if a team makes a good tourney run. I think we all have seen teams that play tough schedules but were sitting at home while somebody else playing a much lesser slate was still playing in the tournament.
You make some good and Valid points. Like everyone says you can throw out the records Come Playoff Time.

ShoeHorn
JV Team

Post by ShoeHorn »

VisionQuest wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:26 pm

Go Alex.
Do you know if the Stone Markins kid is playing this Year?? Does he still got to Alexander?? I didn't notice him
On their Football roster this year.
Stone still goes to Alexander but he is injured.

Return to “Boys Basketball”