MSL Cardinal/New Hope/Central District D4

Snowman
Freshman Team

Re: MSL Cardinal/New Hope/Central District D4

Post by Snowman »

Haha yeah if New Hope lost by 33 to Westfall that would be quite the surprise.

I'll agree formerfcfan, that's definitely the upset up the year so far with FCA winning at GCC. Heck, FCA only won by 4 against Granville Christian, one of bottom teams in the district. What in the world is going on in D4 this year?

It's way too early to think tournament, but nobody is really rising the top spots in D4 for the Central District yet. Is anyone going to run out and grab the top seed? I thought it would be GCC but maybe not. FC looks pretty good but are they #1 seed good? And having to face Wellington and HP twice won't help the record either. Last year Cardington was good but they lost something like 8 seniors and are 1-5. Centerburg was a good D3 school last year but they've struggled so far. Danville maybe but I can't seem to find much on them.

I guess it could be a MOCAL school, but Tree of Life hasn't played anybody, Northside Christian beat Horizon Science (who just beat a solid London team) but also lost to International, and Shekinah I know little about. Patriot Prep doesn't seem great either. It seems like just about anyone could beat anyone.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

FCA’s Caleb Collins is leading all Central District scorers, across division, in scoring.

I expect FC, as is common with teams under first year coaches, to wax and wane a little bit during the middle of the season. If they can go 10-4 in the MSL, that’s not a bad season. I think come tourney time, assuming they keep up the good work, that they’re going to be top three seed material.

The Lancaster Eagle-Gazette covered the FC/Rosecrans game last night. Here is the link to the story.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

On the District...

I’m not one to disparage nor undermine the MOCAL, but ever since that year where Tree of Life was the #1 seed (2010-2011) because everyone in the MOCAL block voted to prevent HP from holding that seed, only for the Trojans to lose in sectionals to Fisher, I think they lost a huge leg to stand on. I realize that was seven years ago, and probably none of the coaches back then are still around in the MOCAL, but that stood out to me as an example of just dishonest seeding. Nothing indicated that Tree would’ve played within 15 points of HP that year.

It looks like, though, the vote share advantage has swung back to the MOCAL with HP (and now Wellington) moving up. As someone, like you, Snowman, who is familiar with the D4 Central and who always tries to enrich himself with what’s happening across the District: I truly do believe if Fisher 10-0’s the D4 portion of the MSL-Cardinal, they should be seeded higher than the MOCAL champ. If they 9-1 or 8-2 it, then maybe not. The overall records truly shouldn’t matter, but then again coaches generally don’t care enough to do their homework.

We play Madison, Granville and Delaware Christians this year. So at least some MOCAL exposure.

Snowman
Freshman Team

Post by Snowman »

I had not heard that about the MOCAL actually when Tree was the #1 seed. Like you said I doubt that many coaches are still there from that period and some new schools have been added also, so I doubt that plays a big factor anymore. Actually, I talked with a coach from last year and he said that it was the northern schools (Danville, East Knox, Ridgedale, and Cardington) that voted for each other higher than anywhere else. Ridgedale and East Knox both voted each other 10th (out of 21 I think) even though they each only won 3 games. Collusion lol!

I do agree with you on having FC higher than a MOCAL champ in that scenario. 2 years ago the MOCAL was the worst conference I've ever seen with no significant non-conference wins. It seems to be bouncing back a little with the addition of Shekinah, Tree getting Arndt back for a year, and Northside with all of that height, but since there are no elite teams in the MOCAL I would certainly favor MSL Cardinal teams or the other D4 teams over that conference.

And unfortunately for Fisher, them beating the 3 worst MOCAL teams probably won't help the resume too much. But like you said, it sure seems like coaches don't do their research. Then again, I couldn't find anything on Danville or some other schools online either so maybe coaches should start promoting their teams a little more.

icanpickem
All Conference

Post by icanpickem »

Danville has only played 2 games because of a late start due to football team making final 4.

Beat Fredericktown 64-56 (a game they led by 20 in the 4th.)
Beat Cardington 74-42.

Play at centerburg on friday and play home against undefeated northmor on saturday night in rescheduled game.(football)

They are led by Skyler Durbin 6-4 sr. guard who averaged 18 ppg last year and is averaging 26 ppg through 2 games this year.

Other starters:
Tyler Mickley 5-6 sr.
Skyler Moore 5-9 jr.
Trey Fritz 6-1 sr.
Corbin Hazen 6-4 jr.

and rotate 2 guys in off the bench
Dylan James 6-0 jr.
Andrew Walls 5-10 soph.

Snowman
Freshman Team

Post by Snowman »

icanpickem wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:46 pm Danville has only played 2 games because of a late start due to football team making final 4.

Beat Fredericktown 64-56 (a game they led by 20 in the 4th.)
Beat Cardington 74-42.

Play at centerburg on friday and play home against undefeated northmor on saturday night in rescheduled game.(football)

They are led by Skyler Durbin 6-4 sr. guard who averaged 18 ppg last year and is averaging 26 ppg through 2 games this year.

Other starters:
Tyler Mickley 5-6 sr.
Skyler Moore 5-9 jr.
Trey Fritz 6-1 sr.
Corbin Hazen 6-4 jr.

and rotate 2 guys in off the bench
Dylan James 6-0 jr.
Andrew Walls 5-10 soph.
Thanks for the update! Feel free to jump into the conversation as it seems to be morphing into a central district D4 conversation at times.

I have heard of Durbin but didn’t know much about him other than he can score. Hard to tell after 2 games but I’m sure Danville will be at the top of the seedlings, barring injuries (like most small schools). Especially with a schedule with most games scrunched together, an injury now could really have a big impact.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Wellington 66, Whitehall (D1 now) 55

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

FC beat Madison Christian pretty badly last night. It was 68-15 after the third quarter. Pretty much a no-win situation for all involved. Thinking that FC will get humbled tomorrow night when they play Wellington, only to bounce back against Millersport Saturday.

Snowman
Freshman Team

Post by Snowman »

Nice for FC to get that and let everyone see lots of action before a tough one with Wellington. Madison Christian is really bad and was missing their starting PG. Madison's best win came against a now 1-8 Delaware Christian team that was missing their best player, a second starter, and playing most of the second half with 4 players on the court (how that happens when they have a full JV team is beyond me). They also beat a winless Gahanna Christian missing 3 of their 4 best players. Their other wins are against Cristo Rey and non-OHSAA Genoa Christian and Liberty Christian, so that 5-5 record is a bit deceptive. Patriot is 1-8 and beat them easily too. That first tournament game count be rough. Not to dig on Madison Christian, it's just that I see them a decent amount and know that they aren't in the class of any MSL teams.

Gahanna Christian (missing their best player though that wouldn't really matter much) got hammered by Grove City Christian. Delaware Christian got beat by double digits to Danville. Bottom of the MOCAL is certainly among the bottom seeds in the district. Still, good wins from the MSL Cardinal to get out-of-conference victories.

Snowman
Freshman Team

Post by Snowman »

First AP polls came out and it’s certainly a bit of a joke at this point, but BU comes in at #6. Any input on whether that’s realistic or not? Tree of Life is #7 and they had a game where they were down 5-0 after the first quarter to Granville Christian, who was missing their only good player, so I’m not sure how much stock we can put in it yet. Shekinah comes in at #15 and Fisher is no where to be seen, which I think is kinda ridiculous but will correct itself in due time.

In the more accurate Dispatch poll, FC is #1, BU is #2, Danville #3, and Shekinah #4.

In D3 AP poll, HP is #2 behind Bishop Ready. Wellington plays Ready soon and could potentially hop into the top 10 with a win there.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

A few thoughts...

1) Berne Union at #6, let alone having a first place vote (what the hell?) is a crime.

2) No one in the Central District, D4 deserves a top ten spot in my opinion; and that includes FC. Maybe Fisher deserves a "receiving votes" designation (maybe?) We still have no idea if Fisher really is "any good." What I do know is they play a pretty sound brand of basketball and are playing as a team better than half of the MSL. I'm a bit anxious about Friday night, when they play GCC. Friday is the eleventh game, it's the twelfth game when the big kid is eligible to play. GCC could very well gut Fisher alive down low with Tomlinson and Sullivan this first time around.

3) BU and Tree of Life probably got the votes they did based on record. Maybe Fisher should've ditched Newark Catholic, Amanda and Crooksville in favor of Genoa Christian, Cristo Rey and Torah Academy. Oh well, anyone remember who was ranked #7 in week 2 of the AP poll from eight years ago? :mrgreen: Hoping that Fisher puts together a very solid second half of the season. 10-4 in the MSL will mean something; it may not be very impressive, but hey, this team could've gone 2-12 at the same time! Still lots of hoops to be played; take nothing for granted, Irish!

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

On the D3 side...

Yeah, Wellington was a notable absent. While the D4 Central District representation is Jim Carrey funny, at least the D3 one is reasonable. That's a tough schedule for a D3 team that is D4 on EMIS alone. Even though the box score says it's a two point win, Wellington was in complete control of Westerville North (who is 8-2 and has wins over New Albany and Olentangy HS.) It may be hard to argue that there's four top ten teams in the state coming from the Central District. And this isn't to undermine Northmor, they're definitely good. I guess it just remains to be seen if they're on par with Ready, HPS and Wellington (all of whom are on fire!) Ready probably deserves to be above HPS just on the basis of their performance thus far in the CCL.

Also notably absent: Africentric.

That D3 in Central District is absolutely STACKED! And that is without the traditional firebrand Worthington Christian being in the top five mix this year.

Grandview Heights is also very solid this year. Jim Lachey's son plays for them; he's a beast.

Hawks1112
Varsity

Post by Hawks1112 »

Would have like to seen that matchup between Bishop Ready and Hannibal River that was cancelled at the Tusky Catholic holiday tournament, there schedule is not the strongest,there 9-0 record only one team with a winning record

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

69-43 FC over GCC on the road. 43-19 at half; why so bad of a margin? Not usually one to compare scores and draw, but BU only beat GCC by six at home.

Snowman
Freshman Team

Post by Snowman »

This game is actually on YouTube under GCC's broadcasting setup that they use for a few games each year. I try to check after some ones that I'm interested in. Tomlinson got into foul trouble early and FC was hitting everything. FC definitely looked like a top team in the district while GCC did not look good at all. Horrible shot selection and poor defense. FC dominated every facet of the game and has to be a favorite for a District finalist if they play like that.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Saw that FC will be without 11 players on Saturday, as they’re attending the March for Life in DC. Ouch...

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

HP 79
W.S. 73

FC 60
FCA 55

BR 60
GCC 44

BU 52
MP 51

Standings
1. Harvest Prep 6-0
2. Fisher Cath 5-1
3. Wellington 5-2
4. Berne Union 4-2
5. Rosecrans 2-4
6. FCA 2-5
7. GCC 2-6
8. Millersport 0-7

FC and HP play the makeup of their first game this coming Thursday in Lancaster. Two big Home games for the Irish back-to-back on Thursday and then Friday vs BU.

FCA looked new and improved this time around. Well-coached as always.

Snowman
Freshman Team

Post by Snowman »

formerfcfan wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:51 am Saw that FC will be without 11 players on Saturday, as they’re attending the March for Life in DC. Ouch...
Good win for them in this one, even if it was against a struggling Fairfield Christian. I believe they were missing 4 varsity players, including at least one starter, but at least they had their backcourt. How many transfers did they get?

Berne Union squeaked by Millersport. Is BU for real? I'm not saying state ranked, but are they worthy of a top 3 district seed? The Dispatch has 1) FC, 2) Danville, 3) BU, 4) Shekinah Christian in their power poll.

GCC seems to really be struggling, but I'm still not sure too many teams will be seeking them out for the tournament based on their experience and stud forward.

Wellington blew a lead in their final regular season matchup with Harvest Prep, who will now run away with the conference. D3 District tournament will be incredible. Ready, HP, and Northmor are all still undefeated past the midway point of the season and that doesn't even include Wellington or Africentric at the top. Usually strong teams like Newark Catholic and Heath will be fortunate to win more than 1 game.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Wellington beat #1 in the State, D3 Bishop Ready 62-51 at home this Tuesday. Great win for the Jaguars. Another D3 result of note is Amanda-Clearcreek beating Fairfield Union (FU could win a D2 district title in the southeast.)

The notable absences for FC last Saturday were Loy (unofficial MVP of the GCC game) and Frazier, along with two other guards/wings. FC has two transfers: post player and point guard. Of the two, the post player will make the most impact. Not entirely sure how they’ll incorporate the PG, as it’s a full deck in the backcourt.

FCA also has two transfers. The one player led FCA in scoring that game; decent player that could be a Tomlinson-level post if afforded the coaching and development to work on his footwork.

Not entirely sure who else has what. This Friday’s game against will be on WFCO 90.9fm (refreshing909.com) I believe. The game against HP on Thursday I think is getting covered by WLOH. Both stations are easily accessible online and broadcast via the TuneIn Radio application.

Seeds... worthiness... well, BU might get a top-3 seed on the virtue of their record alone. On the merits of their play, sure. We’ll know more after Friday night. Danville is probably the most convincing for the #1 seed at this point, if the win(s) over Highland are of any impression.

Congratulations to Tree of Life for the first place vote in this week’s AP Poll. Can’t wait for the seeding meeting, what with the KMAC contingency arguing that they’re the toughest of the three leagues present (probably true) the MSL teams all having dicked up loss totals courtesy of HP& Wellington, and the MOCAL making the argument for why Shekinah is a top five team (they probably are?) and why Tree of Life should be in the top five as well.

It’s going to be a circus. All three league (contingencies) want the representation at the top, almost as if the coaches across the board could care less about a true, accurate 1-18 seeding. The KMAC has the fewest seats at the table and is figuratively stuck on “North Central OH Island” along with having a top D3 team and Highland as competition; the MOCAL may not be able to afford pushing two teams toward the top (may need to argue Shekinah OR Tree, but not both), they probably don’t want to be thought of as the weakest conference; the MSL only has five seats this year (Rosecrans is East District), but I think Timlin from GCC and Hooper from FCA are “up there” as being very respected within the local D4 community - they may be the two best evaluators in that room. Shekinah Christian also has a good track record of being a fair seeder.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Right now... if I had to make a listing 1-18 and if I were a coach...

1. Danville - lots of respect for Danville. I don't see any reason necessarily to NOT vote them #1, yet...
2. Fisher - are the three games against HP & Wellington pretty much foregone conclusions? Yeah, probably. Still, they play good ball.
3. Shekinah - why not? They always play a good brand of basketball and is probably the best team in the MOCAL.
4. BU - if they beat Fisher this Friday, then top three for sure. Anything quantitative to really suggest BU > SC?
5. Tree of Life - although my heart wants me to put FCA here. Still, best record in the district thus far. ???

uh....

6. FCA - well, they did beat GCC in "The Nest."
7. GCC - I don't really see GCC "truly" being anything lower than an eight, as they have arguably one of the best players in the entire district and a good coach.

uh....

8. Centerburg - really nothing quantitative to support this, but, largest (or second-largest?) in the district... tough-ish league. On the other hand, they've been held to the following point totals: 25, 28, 30, 32, 33, 35 (granted, one of those is against undefeated 'Academy.)
9. uh... Patriot Prep...? - are they the team that lost to 51-52 at home to Newark Catholic (granted, the gym is weird) or are they the team that's averaged 18 points these last three games?

uh.... (noticing a theme here?)

10. Millersport - it's less so that Millersport is 'bad', it's more so that Millersport only has SIX varsity players that can play a whole game due to the JV game cutting into the bench.
11. so... Northside Christian?
12. Granville Christian?

13-18, I guess the order doesn't matter but...

13. Cardington
14. Delaware Christian
15. Ridgedale???
16. Madison Christian
17. Gahanna Christian
18. Cristo Rey

Return to “Boys Basketball”