Athens Bulldogs Strengths/Weakness

bobcatforlife13
Waterboy

Athens Bulldogs Strengths/Weakness

Post by bobcatforlife13 »

Thoughts on the upcoming season for the Athens Bulldogs Basketball Team? Chubb is underrated in my opinion.

thebarlowbandit
All State

Re: Athens Bulldogs Strengths/Weakness

Post by thebarlowbandit »

How did the scrimmage v Unioto go.

bobcatforlife13
Waterboy

I've only heard bits and pieces but heard Eli Chubb looked strong. The team is pretty young.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Good length and pressured hard in their zone, which will likely cause teams with average guard play to turn the ball over a lot.

Struggled to score outside of Hynes and Chubb, but that will come with more time together.

Looked to play a lot of guys last night, so shortening the rotation should help give more offensive cohesion.

I'd guess that they win 14-15 games and have an excellent shot at returning to the Convo. Could be even better than that, but I haven't looked at their schedule. Should be fun to watch.

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

bobcatforlife13 wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:34 am Thoughts on the upcoming season for the Athens Bulldogs Basketball Team? Chubb is underrated in my opinion.
How is the mentioned player Underrated? Is it by Fans , Coaching Staff ,Media or SEOP? Just wondering . Will he be the 5th starter?

bobcatforlife13
Waterboy

Just a personal observation. Seems real talented but doesn't seem to get a lot of mentions. No disrespect intended.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

bobcatforlife13 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:29 am Just a personal observation. Seems real talented but doesn't seem to get a lot of mentions. No disrespect intended.
In reality it doesn't matter how much you get mentioned or what is said on these Forums. It's all about how good of a teammate you are and what you contribute to the TEAM. I would bet Eli Chubb could care less about how much he is mentioned and probably doesn't want to be mentioned. From what I have ever seen about him he is a Very unselfish player. I have been noticing at these last 2 Scrimmages that he is playing with a lot more Confidence. Maybe it comes with Growing up. He is a Young Junior. And for that matter I think a few other players have really improved since last Season. The Bulldogs have A Lot to Work with this Year!!!

bobcatforlife13
Waterboy

Couldn't agree with you more! I look forward to watching him play this year, along with the rest of the Bulldogs!

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

danicalifornia wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:13 pm Good length and pressured hard in their zone, which will likely cause teams with average guard play to turn the ball over a lot.

Struggled to score outside of Hynes and Chubb, but that will come with more time together.

Looked to play a lot of guys last night, so shortening the rotation should help give more offensive cohesion.

I'd guess that they win 14-15 games and have an excellent shot at returning to the Convo. Could be even better than that, but I haven't looked at their schedule. Should be fun to watch.
Start with three tough games with Gallia, Watterson, and Warren

thebarlowbandit
All State

Raider6309 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:59 pm
danicalifornia wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:13 pm Good length and pressured hard in their zone, which will likely cause teams with average guard play to turn the ball over a lot.

Watterson???? what are you basing Watterson being a tough game on? They went 8-15 last year, that is not any measure in which anyone would just automatically say is a "tough opponent" especially early in the season.

Chief Kdogg
JV Team

Post by Chief Kdogg »

bobcatforlife13 wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:29 pm I've only heard bits and pieces but heard Eli Chubb looked strong. The team is pretty young.
How many years in a row is the team going to be "pretty young"? :lol:

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

thebarlowbandit wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:23 am

Watterson???? what are you basing Watterson being a tough game on? They went 8-15 last year, that is not any measure in which anyone would just automatically say is a "tough opponent" especially early in the season.
Watterson was 8-15 ... but would have been 15-8 playing in southeastern Ohio.

thebarlowbandit
All State

93Bulldog wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:42 am

Really? Didn't Athens beat them last year? Teams in the SE that would have beaten them: Fairland, Logan, Warren, Fairfield Union, Logan Elm, Washington Court House, Miami Trace, Oak Hill, Chillicothe.....Sorry, just because they have a name does NOT mean they have any players.

Sniper_Fan
Waterboy

Post by Sniper_Fan »

The Chubb kid is as good as advertised. Saw him in scrimmages. Hear he is getting some initial interest from Kent and Akron. bobcatforlife13 really knows his hoops

therealNY
Freshman Team

Post by therealNY »

Sniper_fan - I’m not sure if your being honest in your assessment or an a$&. Let’s hope not the latter. Kid works his tail off - no need to bring him into your bashing of the bobcatforlife13...

If you ain't first, you're last!
Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Heard he preformed well at Hidden Gems back in September. Look for big year from him.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Pol pot wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:15 am Heard he preformed well at Hidden Gems back in September. Look for big year from him.
I hope. He definitely has the athletic ability to be very good

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

I know one thing I would like to see more of and that is for the PG MIcah Saltzman to shoot the ball more. We literally went from having a PG who shot 20 plus times per game in Griffin Lutz-to a PG who shoots maybe 3 times a game. He really has a beautiful shot and I love his Defense and ball handling But Would like to see him put up 8-10 shots a game. He can hit the 3, has a mid-range and can drive to the rim, just doesn't do it enough IMO

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

VisionQuest wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:24 pm I know one thing I would like to see more of and that is for the PG MIcah Saltzman to shoot the ball more. We literally went from having a PG who shot 20 plus times per game in Griffin Lutz-to a PG who shoots maybe 3 times a game. He really has a beautiful shot and I love his Defense and ball handling But Would like to see him put up 8-10 shots a game. He can hit the 3, has a mid-range and can drive to the rim, just doesn't do it enough IMO
Agreed.

If he had his brothers mentality & aggressiveness - he'd be twice as good as Z on the court. lol

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

thebarlowbandit wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:11 am
93Bulldog wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:42 am

Really? Didn't Athens beat them last year? Teams in the SE that would have beaten them: Fairland, Logan, Warren, Fairfield Union, Logan Elm, Washington Court House, Miami Trace, Oak Hill, Chillicothe.....Sorry, just because they have a name does NOT mean they have any players.
I guess me post should have said playing in a southeast Ohio league. All the teams you mentioned were league champions, Of course it would be tough to go 15-8 versus all of them ... lol

But Athens vs Watterson last year - the Bulldogs played their best game of the year. All 9 players scored, 4 in double figures, Griff had a triple double - they played lights out ... Watterson went on to reach the DII district semi-finals in the Columbus District, which kind of proves they are better than your average (8-15) team from around here. An (8-14) River Valley team would have got smoked in the first game of the tournament, let alone reach the semi's.

Return to “Boys Basketball”