SEOPS HOF

Re: Waverly @ Oak hill

Post by danicalifornia »

Fun style clash matchup.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Anything is possible, but Persin's program is likely to put on a defensive clinic and keep Waverly under 40 points. Storming Norman is in a class all by himself.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Waverly struggled early last night trying to find the basket. Some shots were way off. They finally got it going in basketball mode, found the basket instead of the end zone. Once they did get it going they looked good.
Miami Trace tried to run with Waverly which didn’t work. Oak Hill will be a much better “team” than Trace and I look for Norm to slow it down.

toast
All State

Post by toast »

Waverly will have their hands full in this one. As will anyone who plays Oak Hill this season. Lots of very special talent on this Oak Hill team, most of which are seniors. I've heard this is Persion's last go round. Any truth?

Oak Hill holding teams under 40 is more of a reflection of their offense than their defensive scheme. Very patient and willing to run time off the clock until they get a layup or really good shot. They tend to limit your offensive opportunities.

Bring the Heat
Freshman Team

Post by Bring the Heat »

Oak Hill should have no problem in this one. Waverly will win its fair share of games but won't happen at the Norm Dome.

As far as Coach Persin not sure he will be done coaching maybe at Oak Hill unless he has another bumper crop on the horizon.
You never know though.
He doesn't have a lot left to prove that is for sure and he might hang another banner this year. Let's hope so.

Fonzie
S

Post by Fonzie »

Hard to go against a team coached by a living legend. I take the Oaks in this one, by 15+

falcon117
Riding the Bench

Post by falcon117 »

Norm will make the game go at his pace. Slowing Waverly down will expose their weaknesses. OH up big by the 4th.

toast
All State

Post by toast »

Bring the Heat wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:48 am Oak Hill should have no problem in this one. Waverly will win its fair share of games but won't happen at the Norm Dome.

As far as Coach Persin not sure he will be done coaching maybe at Oak Hill unless he has another bumper crop on the horizon.
You never know though.
He doesn't have a lot left to prove that is for sure and he might hang another banner this year. Let's hope so.
"bumper crop" being the optimum phrase. You win with talent, whether that talent comes up through your own school or finds it's way from area school districts. I'm always amazed at how some people think some coaches can work miracles. I guess it's fun to think that way but certainly not rooted in reality.

Excited about this Waverly team. Not much size but they play hard and we do have some depth this year. They'll being energy every game.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Interesting game between two contrasting styles. Oak Hill just too solid this year, I don't see them losing a game in the regular season.

Oak Hill 58
Waverly 38

Watching SE Ohio basketball
countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

oaks keep rollin

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
Tower
JV Team

Post by Tower »

"bumper crop" being the optimum phrase. You win with talent, whether that talent comes up through your own school or finds it's way from area school districts. I'm always amazed at how some people think some coaches can work miracles. I guess it's fun to think that way but certainly not rooted in reality.

What is Norm's record when he doesn't have recruits, I mean transfer players? Has he ever coached just students from his own district? People keep saying "legend", I keep seeing "recruitor". In all honesty, if he was that good at coaching why is he still coaching high school? If he goes head to head with other coaches that recruit players he will lose almost every time.

Tower
JV Team

Post by Tower »

What is Norm's record when he doesn't have recruits, I mean transfer players? Has he ever coached just students from his own district? People keep saying "legend", I keep seeing "recruitor". In all honesty, if he was that good at coaching why is he still coaching high school? If he goes head to head with other coaches that recruit players he will lose almost every time.

Sportsman
Riding the Bench

Post by Sportsman »

Tower has Ironton Burg Waverly Jackson FB and many other schools had transfers? Did Lutz recruit or did they just want to play for a chance to succeed. Are all of Burg athletes from Burg? Just asking. And yes coaches are better with better players. But some coaches are competitive with average talent as well and that's why students will want to play for certain coaches.

Tower
JV Team

Post by Tower »

Sportsman wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:03 pm Tower has Ironton Burg Waverly Jackson FB and many other schools had transfers? Did Lutz recruit or did they just want to play for a chance to succeed. Are all of Burg athletes from Burg? Just asking. And yes coaches are better with better players. But some coaches are competitive with average talent as well and that's why students will want to play for certain coaches.
I agree, fb schools get a lot of transfers. I still question how some stay in their assigned division when half the starters live in different district. In bb, you see lots of kids transferring. I don't begrudge kids transferring, you do what you think is right by your kids. But, I have seen Norm's teams. The players don't seem to improve their skills during the season. If he is such a "legend", you think college scouts would be living in Oak Hill. I don't want to take anything away from the players, they are great players. They went there as great players. They will beat most teams in this area because of their talent as players, not coaching. You stated that some coaches are competitive with average talent, that was my question. Has he won with just kids from his district?

Sportsman
Riding the Bench

Post by Sportsman »

Never. Only 600 plus wins. Sure they all had to do with transfers . Funny

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

I'm embarrassed to be a member of this site sometimes, reading this thread is one of those times.

Name a school who has never had a transfer at some point, especially a school that has ever had success. You build success and people want to go there, rather it be in athletic or academically.

SOC94
Freshman Team

Post by SOC94 »

Persin has won with kids from just in his district. Go back to 2013 when they went to the elite 8 and all those kids were from Oak Hill. Persin is a great coach. 700+ wins speak for themself. Amazes me what you read on this site. People really struggle to give credit where credit is due.

Getting Older
Riding the Bench

Post by Getting Older »

Norm is definitely a very good coach. He has a nice system and he keeps it simple as to what he does, but he is really really good at what he has his team doing. The only thing is ,is most of his wins came in the OVC which is not a power house in basketball by any means. The one poster was right. Success brings in kids because they want to be successful and that is fine

Return to “Boys Basketball”