Division 2 Southeastern Sectional

svac83
SE

Re: Division 2 Southeastern Sectional

Post by svac83 »

I don’t know enough about the other teams to have an opinion on who would beat who. And don’t worry Ironman no offense taken.

A couple of oak hill games are the only non Gallia Academy games I have seen this year.

HamPorter
All Conference

Post by HamPorter »

Gallia Academy is solid, but will need a good matchup to show what they've got. Last year exposed them a bit against a faster team and it seems like they are more athletic this year, so it may not be that big of a deal if they don't get an ideal matchup.

GAHSBB#1fan
Riding the Bench

Post by GAHSBB#1fan »

Gallia Academy is a much better team than they were they beat a good Portsmouth team by 26 points and was up 30 and put in the end of the bench. People may not know this but Gallia Academy scrimmaged Zane Trace earlier this year and Gallia Academy beat them every quarter and they played about 8 Quarters. Gallia Academy has faced quick guards this year and has done well. People when they look at Gallia Academy forget about the X- Factor Loveday who can dominate a game at the defense end and as a team Gallia plays great defense.

GalliaGrad78
SEOP

Post by GalliaGrad78 »

No one in the southeast beats Fairland.
I wish it wasn't so, but it is.
Go Blue Devils!

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

Got to go with Gallia and Lovejoy as a favorite

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Fairland is the best team in the SE district, no question, but I can attest to how good Gallia Academy is after I watched them dismantle my Portsmouth Trojans on Saturday 76-50. Portsmouth (9-5) is not great but a good team and the Blue Devils made us look ordinary. GAHS is a matchup problem for any team they face and I look for them to give Fairland its closest game on this side of the river on Feb.6. at GAHS. Zach Loveday is a rim protector and if he stays out of foul trouble, can be a defensive nightmare for any opponent. Gallia can make a run in the tourney, but staying out of Fairland's bracket through the district would be a huge plus.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Waverly moved to 13-3 with an impressive win over WCH last night (whom some thought would give the Tigers a game).
Both Gallia and Jackson fell last night (Gallia beat bad by the Grove and Jackson to the hands of the Bulldogs of Athens).

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

smurray wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:28 am Waverly moved to 13-3 with an impressive win over WCH last night (whom some thought would give the Tigers a game).
Both Gallia and Jackson fell last night (Gallia beat bad by the Grove and Jackson to the hands of the Bulldogs of Athens).
If Waverly takes care of Wheelersburg on Friday, they have a great case for the 3 seed. Heck, I would put them there as is right now.

Preacher Purl
Riding the Bench

Post by Preacher Purl »

I think the top 7 are a lock with maybe a little wiggle room for a few teams (Gallia/ZT). Hillsboro is a lock at 8 and WCH and McClain could switch 9/10 based on their upcoming game. You know what you're getting with Fairland and Unioto, but if Waverly shoots it well, they are capable of making life very difficult for anybody they play. It's going to be a great sectional!!

1. Fairland (hands down)
2. Unioto
3. Waverly
4. Zane Trace
5. Gallia
6. Jackson
7. Miami Trace
8. Hillsboro
9. WCH
10. McClain

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

smurray wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:28 am Waverly moved to 13-3 with an impressive win over WCH last night (whom some thought would give the Tigers a game).
Did Upthegrove (#3) play for Court House? I didn't see him in the box and he's one of their best players.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

bman wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:44 pm
Did Upthegrove (#3) play for Court House? I didn't see him in the box and he's one of their best players.
No, he didn't

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

smurray wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:43 pm
bman wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:44 pm
No, he didn't
Thanks. That would've made the game closer, but Waverly is clearly the better team by the final.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

VisionQuest wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:43 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:22 pm
VisionQuest wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:18 pm You pulling my leg Ironman. Pulled up a MaxPreps Roster and don't see that name. I thought Spohn and Donaldson are the ones you seem to Mention. With Spohn being the best player?
Ed Spriggs is absolutely the Jackson leader in points and rebounds...likely blocks too.

I agree Carson Spohn is Jackson’s best player. Cooper is excellent as well.
I Googled the name Ed Spriggs. Now there is a fascinating story. Never played Varsity basketball in HS. Enrolls in Georgetown a few years later after working a postal job. Makes the basketball team plays with Patrick Ewing and even makes the
NBA.
You make no sense, how is Ed Spriggs the all-time leader in points and rebounds yet you claim "he never played Varsity basketball".

Pa Trojan
JV Team

Post by Pa Trojan »

I really think Preacher Purl is right on with his seeding,Fairland of course is the cream, but some good teams are chasing

Bring the Heat
Freshman Team

Post by Bring the Heat »

I would agree 3 through 7 could change with some upcoming games.
What if Miami Trace beats Jackson, They would be at 11 and 8, Jackson would be 11 and 7 but Trace with 2 wins over them plus ahead in league standings. Jackson wins no real argument. Difference in being a 7 seed is huge..

Jackson has Waverly next week and that could be a huge win for them. That would keep them from the 7 spot.

Waverly beats Burg and Jackson. Gallia has Fairland to play next week. I would think clear cut number 3 for Waverly.

I am not sure who Zane Trace has this weekend and next week. They win out probably a top 6 for sure.

It will be very interesting between now and next Tuesday's rounds of games.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Some very big and key games coming up.

petesweaty
All Conference

Post by petesweaty »

Zane Trace has Westfall at home Friday, then at New Hope Christian on Tuesday.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

Pol pot wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:51 pm
VisionQuest wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:43 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:22 pm

Ed Spriggs is absolutely the Jackson leader in points and rebounds...likely blocks too.

I agree Carson Spohn is Jackson’s best player. Cooper is excellent as well.
I Googled the name Ed Spriggs. Now there is a fascinating story. Never played Varsity basketball in HS. Enrolls in Georgetown a few years later after working a postal job. Makes the basketball team plays with Patrick Ewing and even makes the
NBA.
You make no sense, how is Ed Spriggs the all-time leader in points and rebounds yet you claim "he never played Varsity basketball".
There is more than one Ed Spriggs. The one that 1st popped up when I searched was the one I am referring to, he did not play Varsity basketball in HS. Apparently there was also an Ed Spriggs who played at Jackson HS and went on to play at Miami University in Florida. He is Jacksons all time leader.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Big road win for the Ironmen at Miami Trace and without their 15 and 10 player. Hoping he’s back soon!

This should guarantee Miami Trace as the #7 seed....Jackson will be the #5 or #6

petesweaty
All Conference

Post by petesweaty »

What is this Sectional going to look like now?

#1 Fairland
#2 Unioto
#3-#6 ????
Gallipolis, Jackson, Zane Trace, Waverly all have 4 or 5 losses I think.

Return to “Boys Basketball”