ATHENS: Don't Panic.

moorelukas
Riding the Bench

ATHENS: Don't Panic.

Post by moorelukas »

Bulldogs 0-3 start? Don't panic. Losing a player like Griffin Lutz is harder to deal with than many people think. Add in the fact that Gallia, Bishop-Watterson, and Warren is a brutal way to start the season and 0-3 is not the end of the world. Here are some statistical reasons for hope.
1. Athens is shooting 42.5% from the line. No way that number doesn't go up. It's a mental thing that they'll figure out.
2. They shot 42.5% from the paint vs Warren. Almost 10% better than the season average. It's still not at the 60% that you should shoot in the paint, but it's getting better.
3. Athens shot 44% from the field vs Warren, a massive improvement from the 27% season average, shots are starting to fall.

Transitioning off a player like Lutz is one of the hardest things to do for a basketball team, especially at the high school level. The eye test tells me that if this team plays with the energy, heart and hustle that they showed vs Warren they can compete in the TVC.

footballfan
JV Team

Re: ATHENS: Don't Panic.

Post by footballfan »

You are correct that Athens will be fine in TVC Play.
Athens 318 Boys
V.C. 246
Alex 204
Meigs 204
R.V. 198
Wellston 165
NY 135

Losing to 3 D2 Schools is ok when you play in a D3 League. Might not help you come tournament draw but hey maybe you can get a league title if you can Beat V.C.

Michigan n Trumbull
Riding the Bench

Post by Michigan n Trumbull »

footballfan wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:47 pm You are correct that Athens will be fine in TVC Play.
Athens 318 Boys
V.C. 246
Alex 204
Meigs 204
R.V. 198
Wellston 165
NY 135

Losing to 3 D2 Schools is ok when you play in a D3 League. Might not help you come tournament draw but hey maybe you can get a league title if you can Beat V.C.
BINGO!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :o 8-) :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

moorelukas wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:46 am Bulldogs 0-3 start? Don't panic. Losing a player like Griffin Lutz is harder to deal with than many people think. Add in the fact that Gallia, Bishop-Watterson, and Warren is a brutal way to start the season and 0-3 is not the end of the world. Here are some statistical reasons for hope.
1. Athens is shooting 42.5% from the line. No way that number doesn't go up. It's a mental thing that they'll figure out.
2. They shot 42.5% from the paint vs Warren. Almost 10% better than the season average. It's still not at the 60% that you should shoot in the paint, but it's getting better.
3. Athens shot 44% from the field vs Warren, a massive improvement from the 27% season average, shots are starting to fall.

Transitioning off a player like Lutz is one of the hardest things to do for a basketball team, especially at the high school level. The eye test tells me that if this team plays with the energy, heart and hustle that they showed vs Warren they can compete in the TVC.
I think the Bulldogs had 31 Turnovers in the 1st 2 games. How many last night???

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

In the 1st Quarters of the last 3 games. The opponents are jumping out to double digit margins very quickly. It then becomes an uphill battle the rest of the game.

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

moorelukas wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:46 am Bulldogs 0-3 start? Don't panic. Losing a player like Griffin Lutz is harder to deal with than many people think. Add in the fact that Gallia, Bishop-Watterson, and Warren is a brutal way to start the season and 0-3 is not the end of the world. Here are some statistical reasons for hope.

Shot 44% and couldn’t break 40pts, that’s screams of other issues as well.

But they will be fine and should be fine against the DIII part of their schedule. However do not come whining come tournament time when they get a poor seed because they fail to beat the DII schools that they will see on the tournament seeding bracket.

moorelukas
Riding the Bench

Post by moorelukas »

VisionQuest wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:31 pm

I think the Bulldogs had 31 Turnovers in the 1st 2 games. How many last night???
Athens had 14 turnovers against Warren.

Allthewayup11
Freshman Team

Post by Allthewayup11 »

They are just in need of some offense! Looks like they were feeding off one kid the first half. They the wind went out of their sails. I'd like to see Williams step into the starting point role! His issues in passing are fixable and just need to learn to draw in defenders when he drives the lane and kick out to Cozart or Maxfield in the wing for good quality shots. Those two seem to be the scorers at this point.

Johnstown
Riding the Bench

Post by Johnstown »

Who are these geniuses that do not realize that college players get college paid via scholarships worth up to $250 000 and pros get millions to play. That is why their names are used in evaluation. HS players play. So be careful with your incredible knowledge of the game and brilliant journalism.No sense putting players down.

therealNY
Freshman Team

Post by therealNY »

I've always said, and will continue to say they will be fine in TVC-OHIO play. VC will give them some hassle but they are more talented once they start playing as a team they will be fine in the TVC, I wouldn't be surprised if they take the crown away from VC this year. All that being said, go Buckeyes!

If you ain't first, you're last!
HamPorter
All Conference

Post by HamPorter »

therealNY wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:24 am I've always said, and will continue to say they will be fine in TVC-OHIO play. VC will give them some hassle but they are more talented once they start playing as a team they will be fine in the TVC, I wouldn't be surprised if they take the crown away from VC this year. All that being said, go Buckeyes!
They can't score. It is hard to win at the sport of basketball if you can't score and consistently give up 20+ points to the other team's best player. They might be alright, especially against bad teams, but I can't see them beating Combs' Vikings.

moorelukas
Riding the Bench

Post by moorelukas »

Johnstown wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:39 am Who are these geniuses that do not realize that college players get college paid via scholarships worth up to $250 000 and pros get millions to play. That is why their names are used in evaluation. HS players play. So be careful with your incredible knowledge of the game and brilliant journalism.No sense putting players down.
Did my post put anybody down? I hope it wasn't read that way.

thebarlowbandit
All State

Interesting LOTS of brand new posters on here blowing the Athens Horn. Athens will have a fine season by their standards. They will finish 1st or 2nd in the TVC, they will have a winning record, and they will play for at least a Sectional Title. The question is how will they do against the same size competition (or larger)....So far 0-2 v. DII school in their sectional, 0-1 v. a Columbus DII school and have Marietta, Jackson, Logan x2, and Jackson yet, as well as Vinton County x2 in league play. These games are the key to how well their season will be judged and their tournament fate. Any way good luck to the Puppies, and remember there is always next year in your quest to beating Warren ;-)

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

thebarlowbandit wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:16 pm Interesting LOTS of brand new posters on here blowing the Athens Horn. Athens will have a fine season by their standards. They will finish 1st or 2nd in the TVC, they will have a winning record, and they will play for at least a Sectional Title. The question is how will they do against the same size competition (or larger)....So far 0-2 v. DII school in their sectional, 0-1 v. a Columbus DII school and have Marietta, Jackson, Logan x2, and Jackson yet, as well as Vinton County x2 in league play. These games are the key to how well their season will be judged and their tournament fate. Any way good luck to the Puppies, and remember there is always next year in your quest to beating Warren ;-)
Athens and Warren are both 15 points from getting out of Logan unless Athens or Warren can get the 4/5 spot

thebarlowbandit
All State

Raider6309 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:28 pm
thebarlowbandit wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:16 pm Interesting LOTS of brand new posters on here blowing the Athens Horn. Athens will have a fine season by their standards. They will finish 1st or 2nd in the TVC, they will have a winning record, and they will play for at least a Sectional Title. The question is how will they do against the same size competition (or larger)....So far 0-2 v. DII school in their sectional, 0-1 v. a Columbus DII school and have Marietta, Jackson, Logan x2, and Jackson yet, as well as Vinton County x2 in league play. These games are the key to how well their season will be judged and their tournament fate. Any way good luck to the Puppies, and remember there is always next year in your quest to beating Warren ;-)
Athens and Warren are both 15 points from getting out of Logan unless Athens or Warren can get the 4/5 spot
I’m really not sure why you keep dismissing Warren, Big Bad Blue just dismantled Athens in Athens and you believe that Warren is not very good. I’m kind of puzzled.

Allthewayup11
Freshman Team

Post by Allthewayup11 »

moorelukas wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:02 pm
Johnstown wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:39 am Who are these geniuses that do not realize that college players get college paid via scholarships worth up to $250 000 and pros get millions to play. That is why their names are used in evaluation. HS players play. So be careful with your incredible knowledge of the game and brilliant journalism.No sense putting players down.
Did my post put anybody down? I hope it wasn't read that way.
Not at all Moore. I felt like it was pretty positive in fact and seeing progression is always a good thing. Agreed that this forum should not be used to attack kids. I don't think anyone is doing that in the slightest. We all like seeing the TVC teams do well. Athens has struggled the last few years to get a good start and this year, just like the others, they will finish strong. Most have had Varsity playing time, but are in new starting roles. It takes time to develop that in front of a crowd. I expect Athens to be 1 or 2 in the TVC by the time its said and done.

therealNY
Freshman Team

Post by therealNY »

One thing I’d worry about if I were an Athens fan is if the coaching can get this going. Lots of talent and nothing clicking for this team. Time will tell of course.

If you ain't first, you're last!
coachK
JV Team

Post by coachK »

Athens will be fine, once the play the t.v.c. Vinton is the only team in league near their size.... just like in football a D3 team playing in a league with mostly d 4 and d5 schools..

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

coachK wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:05 pm Athens will be fine, once the play the t.v.c. Vinton is the only team in league near their size.... just like in football a D3 team playing in a league with mostly d 4 and d5 schools..
I think the Buckeyes will play very well against Athens.
I think the Bucks will take at least 1 of the 2 matchups.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Athens will be without Maxfield, leading scorer. Micah Saltzmen, starting PG. Robert Dickleman, who I thought would be starting PF and Treyce Albin, 6th man last night vs NY in first game. So yeah, you got a great chance O & B

Return to “Boys Basketball”