Piketon 67 Paint Valley 42 a final

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Piketon 67 Paint Valley 42 a final

Post by pfloyd »

Piketon 67
Paint Valley 42 a final

... I emailed Mrs.Pfloyd from school - "Date night ! care to join me for dogs at Paint Valley vs Piketon" - Mrs. Pfloyd never disappoints as we made the trek to Bainbridge tonight to see the Red Streaks of Piketon literally and figuratively "run away" with their game vs the Bearcats 67-42 ... I suppose you could have set the stage for this one with a marque matchup between PHS's most recent 1000 point man - Tanner Perdue vs Paint Valley's 6-11 D1 recruit Dylan Swingle ... that was what "I" went into the game looking to see ... as a fan we got to SEE both on the court at the same time - THAT was probably all ... I came away from this one very impressed by an excellent Piketon TEAM ! outstanding group of athletes AND basketball players ... Tanner Perdue, Blake Reader, Alex Blanton, Tanner Veach, Scott Lightle, Isaac Little ... undersized all but every one of them are hardnosed defensive players, every one of them crashes the boards, every one of them can shoot the ball & get to the rim ... one of the best 1 through 6 rotations I have seen so far this season - I came away impressed ... Tanner Perdue is as smooth of a player as you will find on the hardwood , he IS as good as advertised (23 points) ... I was just as impressed by Blake Reader - he held D1 hoops recruit Dylan Swingle to 10 points (the big 6-11 post player for PV scored on PV's first 2 trips down court ... Reader & Co. gave Mr. Swingle only 2 more fgs in the next 30 minutes of play) Blake matched Swingle's offense with 10 points of his own ... enter Tanner Veach & Alex Blanton - BOTH handle the ball with Veach being the more offensive minded and threat to score (11 points) while Blanton is the quarterback for PHS, the young man is nonstop energy at both ends, harasses opponents defensively & gets the ball to everyone at the offensive end of the floor - EVERY TEAM NEEDS an Alex Blanton ... then there's Isaac Little - freshman , strong for his size, rebounds with the bigs inside, handles the ball like a PG, shoots lights out from the perimeter, gets out in transition, finishes at the rim - a POY in the making in his next 3 years (YES, he is that good) ... Add to the mix the role players - Scott Lightle, Austin Taylor, Prestin Thacker & Tyree Harris - ALL play defense, crash the boards at both ends, they don't hurt the TEAM when they are on the floor ... That's a 9 man rotation ... everyone knows their roles, everyone seems to stay within and play within their roles ... I was/am impressed ... AND they have ANOTHER "offensive" player who has been out with an injury 6-3 Colton Greene ... the SVC is up for grabs in my opinion ... I've seen Unioto, Zane Trace, Paint Valley and Piketon ... the title will be a battle between the U, ZT and Piketon - Piketon is as good as either Unioto or Zane Trace if not better as they aren't searching for where the pieces fit/ the players' roles are in place - I will need to see PHS again with Greene on the floor ...

Scoring by Quarters tonight :

Piketon .........17 .....24 ..... 15 ..... 11 ... 67
Paint Valley ... 12 .....15 ..... 07 ..... 08 ... 42

... Pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Paint Valley

Scoring ... Bryce Newland 17, Dylan Swingle 10, Cruz McFadden 9, Caden Grubb 4, Hunter Hamlin 2
3 Pointers ... 5/15 ... Bryce Newland 3, Cruz McFadden 2
FTs ........... 3/7
TOs .......... 23
PNP .......... 22 pts
Transition points ... 2 pts

... Pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Piketon

Scoring ...Tanner Perdue 23, Isaac Little 17, Tanner Veach 11, Blake Reader 10 , Alex Blanton 4, Preston Thacker 2
3 Pointers ... 7/19 ... Isaac Little 4, Tanner Perdue 2, Tanner Veach 1
FT 's.......... 4/5
TOs .......... 11
PNP ..........
7 fgs/34
point in the paint
Transition Points .... 6 fgs/12 points off turnovers

... Piketon pushed the ball for 32 minutes ... forced PV to run the floor, took the Bearcats out of even trying to play a half court game ... PV doesn't have the horses to run with a TEAM the likes of Piketon ... the Red Streaks were/are the better TEAM ...

CavalierAlum05
Varsity

Re: Piketon 67 Paint Valley 42 a final

Post by CavalierAlum05 »

I also caught this game last night. Only thing Paint Valley has going for them last night is they have the best popcorn in the SVC. Long story short.... Swingle doesn’t have any help. If he had another good player like Swackhammer, Evans, or Perdue to play with he would really really shine in southern Ohio. Their 1st man off the bench wouldn’t see any playing time on most teams.
Piketon looks legit. They really play fast and agressive. Good ball handling from 3 guards. I can see Uniotos league streak coming to an end to the hands of the red streaks this year.

ronm001
Freshman Team

Post by ronm001 »

CavalierAlum05 wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:49 am I also caught this game last night. Only thing Paint Valley has going for them last night is they have the best popcorn in the SVC. Long story short.... Swingle doesn’t have any help. If he had another good player like Swackhammer, Evans, or Perdue to play with he would really really shine in southern Ohio. Their 1st man off the bench wouldn’t see any playing time on most teams.
Piketon looks legit. They really play fast and agressive. Good ball handling from 3 guards. I can see Uniotos league streak coming to an end to the hands of the red streaks this year.
Im.not sure if he is as good as advertised even with not great guards he looked lost slow winded and didn'teven rebound well. D1 recruit has to get more than 10 if he is 6ft11 300 plus pounds just on his own

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Well going into last night, he was averaging 26-16, with 7 blocks and 6 assists per game, so I'm sure he's not a D1 player, right? :roll:

KRS
JV Team

Post by KRS »

Everyone is entitled to a sub par night, maybe even a few throughout the season. IMO. Swingle is by far the best player and has the most upside to excel at the next level I have watched in this league since Netter in The late 90s .
Last edited by KRS on Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

CavalierAlum05
Varsity

Post by CavalierAlum05 »

Swingle is a man amongst boys. But he is literally all tbey have. You can’t teach the touch he has. He is just as comfortable with a left handed baby hook as he is with his right. Has a 12ft jumper too. He just can’t be expected to do it all.

se-alum
All Conference

Post by se-alum »

Bigs need help, moreso than guards need help to be successful. Sounds like Piketon brings the pressure on D. If you don't have guards that can handle, and get you the ball in positions to score, it can be tough. The two most successful bigs in the SVC, in recent memory, were Skaggs and Netter. Both of those guys had a lot of talent around them(especially Netter when he went to SE).

P.S. I still wish Netter would've made the move to SE his junior year. Would've made that team a legit State contender!

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Newland is a good offensive player. Not so much a guard but can drill the 3 and works well cutting to basket with Swingle

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

ronm001 wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:16 am
CavalierAlum05 wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:49 am I also caught this game last night. Only thing Paint Valley has going for them last night is they have the best popcorn in the SVC. Long story short.... Swingle doesn’t have any help. If he had another good player like Swackhammer, Evans, or Perdue to play with he would really really shine in southern Ohio. Their 1st man off the bench wouldn’t see any playing time on most teams.
Im.not sure if he is as good as advertised even with not great guards he looked lost slow winded and didn'teven rebound well. D1 recruit has to get more than 10 if he is 6ft11 300 plus pounds just on his own

If swingle was 35-40lbs lighter and in elite shape, like the shape he'll need to be in to play D1 he would score 40 a night without question.

When they get pressed the coach puts Swingle at the front of the press break so when/if the press is broke he's still lagging behind. He got left behind most of the night. All that being said, I'm sure glad we only have to play them one more time. He's a nightmare

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... 6-11 ... 300 lbs ... touch ... has a 15 ft + range on his shot ... averages 20+ ppg, almost 20 rbs per game ... Swingle can handle the ball on the perimeter ... ALL of that adds up to D1 , next level ... with that said he CAN'T "feed himself" the ball ! I jotted down on my napkin stat sheet "PV guards have to learn how to feed the post !" THIS is not JUST A PV issue - I have that statement on almost every napkin stat sheet where teams HAVE A BIG that can play with there backs to the basketball and COULD be a bigger (pun intended) factor than they are ... feeding the post is an art, getting the ball to the BIGS where they can score with the ball is an art ... just "getting" the ball to a big is only 1/2 the battle getting it to them where the BIG can use his size, strength to score OR kick back out is the other 1/2 o playing a perimeter position ... maybe it's one of those "advanced" skills that most perimeter players never get to/ it's assumed everyone can do it - "just give him (the big) the ball" mentality - WHERE the BIG gets the ball means EVERYTHING ... I see BIGS getting passes down low, wrongsided , passes that are positioned where a 5-11/6-0 defender can get the ball ... Piketon did it ALL correctly last night - pushed the ball, forced the BIGS to get up and down the court for 32 minutes ... Blake Reader did an OUTSTANDING job vs Swingle last night for sure with lots of help from Perdue & Company ... if you look at the tape I bet my '75 VW BUS that every time that Swingle touched the ball when a perimeter player gave him the ball in the proper position he scored (2 times in the first 1 1/2 ... at the beginning of the 3rd quarter) ... BUT not nearly enough times to make a differences (23 turnovers ... 23 times that a 6-11 BIG never got the ball in a position to score) ... end of rant ... I'm guessing that there ISN'T a TEAM or Coach ANYWHERE who would NOT want a Dylan Swingle in the post for there basketball team - but I am old , I am one who believes the adage - "You can't teach size" paraphrased "you can't teach 6-11 , 300 lb, D1 recruit" ...

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

pfloyd wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:43 am ... 6-11 ... 300 lbs ... touch ... has a 15 ft + range on his shot ... averages 20+ ppg, almost 20 rbs per game ... Swingle can handle the ball on the perimeter ... ALL of that adds up to D1 , next level ... with that said he CAN'T "feed himself" the ball ! I jotted down on my napkin stat sheet "PV guards have to learn how to feed the post !" THIS is not JUST A PV issue - I have that statement on almost every napkin stat sheet where teams HAVE A BIG that can play with there backs to the basketball and COULD be a bigger (pun intended) factor than they are ... feeding the post is an art, getting the ball to the BIGS where they can score with the ball is an art ... just "getting" the ball to a big is only 1/2 the battle getting it to them where the BIG can use his size, strength to score OR kick back out is the other 1/2 o playing a perimeter position ... maybe it's one of those "advanced" skills that most perimeter players never get to/ it's assumed everyone can do it - "just give him (the big) the ball" mentality - WHERE the BIG gets the ball means EVERYTHING ... I see BIGS getting passes down low, wrongsided , passes that are positioned where a 5-11/6-0 defender can get the ball ... Piketon did it ALL correctly last night - pushed the ball, forced the BIGS to get up and down the court for 32 minutes ... Blake Reader did an OUTSTANDING job vs Swingle last night for sure with lots of help from Perdue & Company ... if you look at the tape I bet my '75 VW BUS that every time that Swingle touched the ball when a perimeter player gave him the ball in the proper position he scored (2 times in the first 1 1/2 ... at the beginning of the 3rd quarter) ... BUT not nearly enough times to make a differences (23 turnovers ... 23 times that a 6-11 BIG never got the ball in a position to score) ... end of rant ... I'm guessing that there ISN'T a TEAM or Coach ANYWHERE who would NOT want a Dylan Swingle in the post for there basketball team - but I am old , I am one who believes the adage - "You can't teach size" paraphrased "you can't teach 6-11 , 300 lb, D1 recruit" ...

Well said!

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

mlittle wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:57 am
pfloyd wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:43 am ... 6-11 ... 300 lbs ... touch ... has a 15 ft + range on his shot ... averages 20+ ppg, almost 20 rbs per game ... Swingle can handle the ball on the perimeter ... ALL of that adds up to D1 , next level ... with that said he CAN'T "feed himself" the ball ! I jotted down on my napkin stat sheet "PV guards have to learn how to feed the post !" THIS is not JUST A PV issue - I have that statement on almost every napkin stat sheet where teams HAVE A BIG that can play with there backs to the basketball and COULD be a bigger (pun intended) factor than they are ... feeding the post is an art, getting the ball to the BIGS where they can score with the ball is an art ... just "getting" the ball to a big is only 1/2 the battle getting it to them where the BIG can use his size, strength to score OR kick back out is the other 1/2 o playing a perimeter position ... maybe it's one of those "advanced" skills that most perimeter players never get to/ it's assumed everyone can do it - "just give him (the big) the ball" mentality - WHERE the BIG gets the ball means EVERYTHING ... I see BIGS getting passes down low, wrongsided , passes that are positioned where a 5-11/6-0 defender can get the ball ... Piketon did it ALL correctly last night - pushed the ball, forced the BIGS to get up and down the court for 32 minutes ... Blake Reader did an OUTSTANDING job vs Swingle last night for sure with lots of help from Perdue & Company ... if you look at the tape I bet my '75 VW BUS that every time that Swingle touched the ball when a perimeter player gave him the ball in the proper position he scored (2 times in the first 1 1/2 ... at the beginning of the 3rd quarter) ... BUT not nearly enough times to make a differences (23 turnovers ... 23 times that a 6-11 BIG never got the ball in a position to score) ... end of rant ... I'm guessing that there ISN'T a TEAM or Coach ANYWHERE who would NOT want a Dylan Swingle in the post for there basketball team - but I am old , I am one who believes the adage - "You can't teach size" paraphrased "you can't teach 6-11 , 300 lb, D1 recruit" ...

Well said!
Agree, at the end of the game when everyone is tired a big is still big. Just ask teams that played New Knoxville a few years ago.

Camp Creek Cougar
Waterboy

Post by Camp Creek Cougar »

I want to appreciate PFloyd, and glad you got to see are Redstreaks play. Are team is good and they proved it on the floor. Left no doubt! Perdue proved he is as good as anyone in the area.

Also, what was up with PV Head coach not shaking hands with the Piketon team/players? Wonder if the Chillicothe Gazette will cover that in an article? Poor display of sportsmanship if you ask me.

waterhog82
Waterboy

Post by waterhog82 »

He did the same thing a few years ago in the tournament. He took his team off the floor after getting their medals instead of waiting for Trimble to get their's. Then last year he did the same thing after a loss. When is this guy going to realize he needs to show a little sportsmanship. We are talking about high school kids. He needs to stop sending tweets all the time about his big man and maybe learn a little sportsmanship.

JIMMY THE GREEK
All Conference

Post by JIMMY THE GREEK »

The Greek returns to the Village and look what happens. "Here Comes The Streaks". Nice win boys....bring the heat!!!! Takes me down memory lane!

Return to “Boys Basketball”