Gallia Academy @ fairland 12/19

Geronimo
SEOP

Re: Gallia Academy @ fairland 12/19

Post by Geronimo »

Their guards and Isiah ate the blue alive . Besides Peck , the blue devils looked scared. They kept looking to the bench for guidance, and none was there . Guard play was terrible. Will be interesting to see how the blue respond to this beating, still a lot of ball to play . The Head coach must prove he can get them going again .

Good post ! Padrino Azul
Last edited by Geronimo on Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tri-StateYouthSports
SEOP

Post by Tri-StateYouthSports »

Gallipolis 12 15 17 6 = 50
Fairland 37 15 29 16 = 97

GALLIPOLIS (5-1, 2-1): Cole Davis 0 0 0-0 0, Caleb Henry 1 0 0-2 2, Evan Wiseman 4 0 2-2 10, Justin McClelland 0 0 0-0 0, Kaden Thomas 0 0 0-0 0, Logan Blour 2 0 0-0 4, Cory Call 1 0 0-0 2, Zach Loveday 4 1 2-2 13, Gage Harrison 0 0 0-0 0, Justin Peck 6 0 5-5 17. Bailey Walker 1 0 0-0 2. Totals: 19 1 9-11 50. Fouls: 16. Fouled out: None.

FAIRLAND (5-0, 3-0): Isaiah Howell 7 4 2-3 28, Ty Staten 6 0 5-6 17, Luke Thomas 2 6 5-5 27, Chase Fisher 0 0 0-0 0, Joel Lambiotte 0 0 0-0 0, Kollin Van Horn 2 0 1-2 5, Matt Mondlak 1 1 2-2 7, Austin Gartin 0 0 0-0 0, Keedrick Cunningham 3 0 0-0 6, Ian Chinn 1 0 0-0 2, Ty Wilcoxon 2 0 1-2 5, Clayton Thomas 0 0 0-0 0, Andy Lange 0 0 0-0 0. Totals: 35-68 11 16-21 97. 3-pt goals: 11-28. Rebounds: 32 (Howell 10, Van Horn 5, Wilcoxon 5). Assists: 7. Fouls: 16. Fouled out: None.

http://www.irontontribune.com/2017/12/2 ... ils-97-50/

Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Not shocked by the Dragons winning, but I never thought the margin would be what it was. I don't see anyone in SE D2 playing even close to Fairland's level at this point of the season.

GAHSBB#1fan
Riding the Bench

Post by GAHSBB#1fan »

My take on the game against Fairland is this Fairland is not a good team they are a great team that plays well together. This team starts 5 seniors who have played in big games after big games. Playing the Blue Devils was just another game to Fairland, but for the Blue Devils it was their super bowl and they played up tight when the game started and was out of the game in first 5 minutes of the game. Yes Fairland came out smoking and yes the Devils came out nervous and that found the Blue Devils down big. Our guard play was shaky to say the least, but our guards will learn from this. I thought the Henry boy once he started to dribble the basketball did a good job getting the ball down court and hitting Peck for some easy layups. I think they need to use him more at the point, but he needs to finish his shots. Fairland beat the Blue Devils by 47 points, but they are not 47 points better than the Blue Devils and I think the next time they play it will be a lot closer game, but I still think Fairland is just so good it would take them having a real off night and the Blue Devils playing the best they can play to beat them. I thought Wiseman played good but after the storm had hit

Firebreather
Freshman Team

Post by Firebreather »

Fairland's domination was definitely guard related but the real factor was the lack of touches to Loveday. I agree with the poster earlier that said to use Loveday to break the press. Then once you get in the half court, he needs a touch every possession! Where Fairland gets you is they will give up a couple easy buckets to get you to play their pace then whammo! Turnovers start piling up when you start trying to push with them. Heck, Van Horn only played 10 minutes because of foul trouble and it being a blowout. Peck wouldnt have got the easy buckets if he plays. Its gonna take a patient team that is willing to slow the game down into the 50's to stand a chance.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

Firebreather wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:13 pm Fairland's domination was definitely guard related but the real factor was the lack of touches to Loveday. I agree with the poster earlier that said to use Loveday to break the press. Then once you get in the half court, he needs a touch every possession! Where Fairland gets you is they will give up a couple easy buckets to get you to play their pace then whammo! Turnovers start piling up when you start trying to push with them. Heck, Van Horn only played 10 minutes because of foul trouble and it being a blowout. Peck wouldnt have got the easy buckets if he plays. Its gonna take a patient team that is willing to slow the game down into the 50's to stand a chance.
van horn didnt gaurd peck even when both were in game.

abelsdaddio
Waterboy

Post by abelsdaddio »

svac83 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:54 pm
Firebreather wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:13 pm Fairland's domination was definitely guard related but the real factor was the lack of touches to Loveday. I agree with the poster earlier that said to use Loveday to break the press. Then once you get in the half court, he needs a touch every possession! Where Fairland gets you is they will give up a couple easy buckets to get you to play their pace then whammo! Turnovers start piling up when you start trying to push with them. Heck, Van Horn only played 10 minutes because of foul trouble and it being a blowout. Peck wouldnt have got the easy buckets if he plays. Its gonna take a patient team that is willing to slow the game down into the 50's to stand a chance.
van horn didnt gaurd peck even when both were in game.
Not guarding Peck but wouldn’t have been under the basket to defend on the easy layups Peck had.

earp
S

Post by earp »

Yes.Much like what Garaway did in the regional semis last year.

BigBlue85
Waterboy

Post by BigBlue85 »

BigBlue85 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:19 am I don't disagree that Fairland has an edge in experience but only slightly. Remember that several of these Gallia kids have been playing varsity for 2-3 years as well. Maybe not as much as the Fairland kids but only slightly less. I hate to build in excuses ahead of time just in case we would lose this game. This Gallia team is a special team and seem to have a chip on their shoulders. Don't count them out before the game. I'm looking for a very competitive game in Proctorville. So on with my worthless prediction lol

Gallia 59
Fairland 63 in OT
I will humbly eat my words here. Did not expect this. I hope and this is a big hope that the coach can get this team back together after that debacle. That isn't one of his strong points however. At least River Valley will be an easy game and should put everyone in a better frame of mind for the holidays. Congrats to Fairland. Until the devils can prove otherwise I believe Fairland is anywhere from 30-40 points better than us. On to the next game. Go Blue

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

GAHSBB#1fan wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:07 pm My take on the game against Fairland is this Fairland is not a good team they are a great team that plays well together. This team starts 5 seniors who have played in big games after big games. Playing the Blue Devils was just another game to Fairland, but for the Blue Devils it was their super bowl and they played up tight when the game started and was out of the game in first 5 minutes of the game. Yes Fairland came out smoking and yes the Devils came out nervous and that found the Blue Devils down big. Our guard play was shaky to say the least, but our guards will learn from this. I thought the Henry boy once he started to dribble the basketball did a good job getting the ball down court and hitting Peck for some easy layups. I think they need to use him more at the point, but he needs to finish his shots. Fairland beat the Blue Devils by 47 points, but they are not 47 points better than the Blue Devils and I think the next time they play it will be a lot closer game, but I still think Fairland is just so good it would take them having a real off night and the Blue Devils playing the best they can play to beat them. I thought Wiseman played good but after the storm had hit
i am not at fairland games so i dont know what there like. But i dont imagine it is a nightly thing that fariland players meet up with the opposing team as soon as they get off the bus and enter the gym like last night. You can tell me it is just another game all you want. And i also dont agree that this was the blue devils super bowl. Do you think they thought the [layoff game last year against waverly was a super bowl. trying to think of a few others. This team does not have a point guard. they haven't had one on years. they struggle against great pressure defense.

And against teams that play whistle to whistle. The blue devils do not have the cultural to play that hard every second. That is why i am disappointed that we are not playing with more pressure at jv and freshmen levek getting the kids in our program used to playing every second. like i said earlier it is a 45 point loss that could of been 60. the one 8 minute quarter the second that you played hard throughout with your head up the score was 15-15 in and you only had 3 turnovers.

The blue devils will win a ton of games. But will struggle against pressure. a lot of those games they will still win because they will have enough talent to overcome the turnovers in the game. but this is the reason we are not oak hill we are not fairland we are not portsmouth and we are not even the culture jackson is building because we are not playing hard every second.

If this team so desires they can start turning it up now in practice and make a few adjustments and play much better against fairland in about 6 weeks. but they need to start throttling people and play hard every second that is not something you can turn on and off.

Fairland is going to be a load for anyone in the state to beat. But the biggest thing is you can never relax against them. as soon as you do a turnover is coming your way. They do a great job of showing easy pass lanes that are sucker passes when they are in press. then out hustle your player to the spot.

One other positive i will say about fairland. last year i thought every thing they had was at the varsity level. i thought after this year they would be done. Dont get me wrong they are going to have a major talent drop off but the way every kid in that program plays hard they are still going to be a good team.. Very nice program.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

BigBlue85 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:20 pm
BigBlue85 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:19 am I don't disagree that Fairland has an edge in experience but only slightly. Remember that several of these Gallia kids have been playing varsity for 2-3 years as well. Maybe not as much as the Fairland kids but only slightly less. I hate to build in excuses ahead of time just in case we would lose this game. This Gallia team is a special team and seem to have a chip on their shoulders. Don't count them out before the game. I'm looking for a very competitive game in Proctorville. So on with my worthless prediction lol

Gallia 59
Fairland 63 in OT
I will humbly eat my words here. Did not expect this. I hope and this is a big hope that the coach can get this team back together after that debacle. That isn't one of his strong points however. At least River Valley will be an easy game and should put everyone in a better frame of mind for the holidays. Congrats to Fairland. Until the devils can prove otherwise I believe Fairland is anywhere from 30-40 points better than us. On to the next game. Go Blue
i dont necessarily agree with this. this team will come back very nicely and really no time in the harrison time in charge has this team played bad in back to back games or for long stretches. And there is no doubt fairland is better then blue devils but dont see how you put a point total on it. if your object is to just play a closer game they could of done it last night but they wanted to go out and see where they were at. and now they know. it is sometimes hard to show your team all there weaknesses when your winning by 25 a game against sub par competition.

GalliaGrad78
SEOP

Post by GalliaGrad78 »

Time to move on.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

I did not think one kid on blue devils looked scared to be honest with you i thought the opposite looked true if they were scared they would of not played so inept. You are not playing scared. when you in bound the ball and a kid is fronting you so in bounds man throws it over yours and defenders head. the defensive kid does not out hustle you to the ball because you are scared. the kid out hustles you to ball because you are not playing as hard as he is and valuing seconds and possessions.

You guys say coach had no answers at bench you are absolutely correct. when you try like 5 different kids in back court and every single one of them is getting out hustled your coach is not going to have a answer unless he has 5 other kids to try. I am not a huge harrsion fan. I think this team should be pressing and forcing tempo more even if that means loveday plays a little less.

And i am not a believer that loveday need to touch the ball every possession. He had enough easy touches and put backs that he should of had 30 last night. He is a great talent with still a lot to learn one is presenting himself to get the ball. Peck is what 7 inches shorter them him and peck gets double teamed a lot. But still in every possession peck manages to present himself to access a entry pass. Loveday at 7 inches taller still cannot always do it. Loveday is going to have a hell of a career probably be leading scorer this year. But the offense does not always need to go through him.

if our team has the desire to work hard enough to improve they will. if they dont they won't.

look forward to river valley and rest of season and will be interested to see how we play against fairland in about 6 weeks. still think we have a very nice ball club.

GAHSBB#1fan
Riding the Bench

Post by GAHSBB#1fan »

I think after last night lost to Fairland will Help the Blue Devils be a much better team and I really think this team could win 20 games in the regular season. I believe their guard play will get better and will be more prepared for pressure next time. The game against Fairland last night reminded me of Waverly all over when we constantly turned the ball over against them. The kids just needs to work harder and harder in practice and they will be fine. I saw some of the games the Blue Devils played in Columbus this summer and I saw the Henry Kid play the Point guard position and he did a good job against pressure and I hear that he was a point guard before he moved back to Gallia and he did a good job. I notice last night we were trying mostly to break the press last night with 2 guards and sending everyone else down court. I also agree with using Loveday to help with Pressure.

buckeye23
Waterboy

Post by buckeye23 »

seopcommenter wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:57 pm
donaldtrump wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:54 pm And their "SHORT" a starter!!!!!!
im sorry to correct you mr presedent but it is actually there

I’m sorry to correct both of you, but it’s actually “they’re.” They are SHORT a starter. :D

The Flash
Varsity

Post by The Flash »

buckeye23 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:11 pm
seopcommenter wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:57 pm
donaldtrump wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:54 pm And their "SHORT" a starter!!!!!!
im sorry to correct you mr presedent but it is actually there

I’m sorry to correct both of you, but it’s actually “they’re.” They are SHORT a starter. :D
:lol: Looks like you guys are SHORT a high school diploma :lol:

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... 97-50 ... welllllllllllll then, I think we can safely say that pfloyd and the committee of one has ranked at least ONE TEAM correctly in the Elite 8 ... wow ! I suppose this outcome could have been seen without using my Ouija Board, the Magic 8 Ball or even Mrs. Pfloyd (who by the way would take the Dragons in Green & White - she is an OU graduate after all) ...

... let's review students what we have learned :

* Gallia Academy has a legitimate 7-1 SOPHOMORE post player (Mr. Loveday) ... a 6-5 senior forward (Mr. Peck) , Wiseman 6-1 senior (both with varsity experience), Call 6-1 junior, McClelland 6-0 jr, Henry 6-0 jr (getting varsity experience) vs Kollin VanHorn 6-8/Isaiah Howell 6-3/Ty Staten 6-0/Luke Thomas 6-0/Keedrick Cunningham 6-0 => ALL seniors , ALL with 3 years + 5 games + (Sectional champions/district champions/regional champions/final 4 appearance) BIG GAME VARSITY EXPERIENCE ...

* Gallia's defense has yielded 75 pts + 88 pts + 97 pts (87 ppg avg) in that order to the Fairland offense over 3 games/3 losses ... while the Gallia offense (while getting the PR as much improved has scored vs the Dragons D 48 pts + 53 pts + 50 pts ( 50 ppg avg) ... word on the street where the winning teams live "hold your opponent to 50 points or less - you win" ...

* Gallia has 2 "goto" players Loveday/Peck who can score in double digits on a regular basis while the role players scoring in double digits? those times would be considered as 'excellent" games vs Fairland 5 "goto" guys - VanHorn/Howell/Staten/Thomas score in double figures as "a normal" night with Cunningham adding his own double figure nights as needed/if needed ...

* Gallia has 7-1 SOPHOMORE Loveday - effective scorer/shot blocker/shot changer vs Kollin VanHorn senior 6-8 effective scorer inside/blocks shots/alters shots/ allows the perimeter peoples to take more chances on the perimeter defensively with VanHorn in the paint ...

* Gallia perimeter Call/McClelland/Henry add Wiseman vs Fairland's perimeter peoples Ty Staten/Luke Thomas/Cunningham & Isaiah Howell... (smh) complete mismatch ...

... Meaningful varsity experience , individual personnel at each position, offensive output capability every night, perimeter defense made as good as it is by the presence of 6-8 Kollin VanHorn behind the perimeter folks in the paint ... IF you have ever watched a Fairland game - truly WATCHED these players play together you would "get it" - these guys make passes that other teams don't even attempt to make, they make passes based on KNOWING what TEAM is going to do (ie cut etc) KNOWING where TEAM will be on the court before the opposition can react ... IF you actually watch a Fairland game, THESE players together on the court YOU would have the same smile on your face as I do when I see them play ... are they beatable ? absolutely !... any team who laces up the shoes can be beaten - BUT these Fairland players NEVER let those thoughts enter their minds - WINNERS ... TEAM is hard to beat , when winning is THE goal ... anyone can talk the talk, not everyone can back it up - I've watched this group of Fairland players back it up for 4 years now ... a complete TEAM that loves to compete , works their butts off on the court for the "W" ...

... Fairland is #1 ...

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

pfloyd wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:28 pm ... 97-50 ... welllllllllllll then, I think we can safely say that pfloyd and the committee of one has ranked at least ONE TEAM correctly in the Elite 8 ... wow ! I suppose this outcome could have been seen without using my Ouija Board, the Magic 8 Ball or even Mrs. Pfloyd (who by the way would take the Dragons in Green & White - she is an OU graduate after all) ...

... let's review students what we have learned :

* Gallia Academy has a legitimate 7-1 SOPHOMORE post player (Mr. Loveday) ... a 6-5 senior forward (Mr. Peck) , Wiseman 6-1 senior (both with varsity experience), Call 6-1 junior, McClelland 6-0 jr, Henry 6-0 jr (getting varsity experience) vs Kollin VanHorn 6-8/Isaiah Howell 6-3/Ty Staten 6-0/Luke Thomas 6-0/Keedrick Cunningham 6-0 => ALL seniors , ALL with 3 years + 5 games + (Sectional champions/district champions/regional champions/final 4 appearance) BIG GAME VARSITY EXPERIENCE ...

* Gallia's defense has yielded 75 pts + 88 pts + 97 pts (87 ppg avg) in that order to the Fairland offense over 3 games/3 losses ... while the Gallia offense (while getting the PR as much improved has scored vs the Dragons D 48 pts + 53 pts + 50 pts ( 50 ppg avg) ... word on the street where the winning teams live "hold your opponent to 50 points or less - you win" ...

* Gallia has 2 "goto" players Loveday/Peck who can score in double digits on a regular basis while the role players scoring in double digits? those times would be considered as 'excellent" games vs Fairland 5 "goto" guys - VanHorn/Howell/Staten/Thomas score in double figures as "a normal" night with Cunningham adding his own double figure nights as needed/if needed ...

* Gallia has 7-1 SOPHOMORE Loveday - effective scorer/shot blocker/shot changer vs Kollin VanHorn senior 6-8 effective scorer inside/blocks shots/alters shots/ allows the perimeter peoples to take more chances on the perimeter defensively with VanHorn in the paint ...

* Gallia perimeter Call/McClelland/Henry add Wiseman vs Fairland's perimeter peoples Ty Staten/Luke Thomas/Cunningham & Isaiah Howell... (smh) complete mismatch ...

... Meaningful varsity experience , individual personnel at each position, offensive output capability every night, perimeter defense made as good as it is by the presence of 6-8 Kollin VanHorn behind the perimeter folks in the paint ... IF you have ever watched a Fairland game - truly WATCHED these players play together you would "get it" - these guys make passes that other teams don't even attempt to make, they make passes based on KNOWING what TEAM is going to do (ie cut etc) KNOWING where TEAM will be on the court before the opposition can react ... IF you actually watch a Fairland game, THESE players together on the court YOU would have the same smile on your face as I do when I see them play ... are they beatable ? absolutely !... any team who laces up the shoes can be beaten - BUT these Fairland players NEVER let those thoughts enter their minds - WINNERS ... TEAM is hard to beat , when winning is THE goal ... anyone can talk the talk, not everyone can back it up - I've watched this group of Fairland players back it up for 4 years now ... a complete TEAM that loves to compete , works their butts off on the court for the "W" ...

... Fairland is #1 ...

Good report . More teams would be a lot better if they just worked on passing and moving without the ball . I've seen very good players look bad because they think they need to do it all . It has ruined a lot of good teams .Fairland ( and I have not seen them ) from the reports knows the complete game and plays good TEAM BALL . Worst I have seen coaches condone "I " BALL not TEAM BALL. That's crazy . Good teams play together and trust each other . Fairland seems to fit the bill. Basketball is a GREAT TEAM SPORT. Thanks Pfloyd for bringing TEAM CONCEPT TO LIGHT.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

great post and spot on PFloyd.

some times we get a little biased about our own teams. And dont always see clearly. Last night really watching fairland and especially during the stretch when they put 9 points on board in 10 seconds is they are really always on 100% the entire time they are on the court from whistle to whistle and the moment they since any bit of relaxation on your part they are going to pounce on you.

It was hard not to feel disappointed but after a while it is just go WOW this is just something special. I am just glad fairland JV kids shot so poorly in the last 3 minutes to save us from fairland hanging 100 on us. they are definitely worth the price of admission.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

svac83 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:23 pm great post and spot on PFloyd.

some times we get a little biased about our own teams. And dont always see clearly. Last night really watching fairland and especially during the stretch when they put 9 points on board in 10 seconds is they are really always on 100% the entire time they are on the court from whistle to whistle and the moment they since any bit of relaxation on your part they are going to pounce on you.

It was hard not to feel disappointed but after a while it is just go WOW this is just something special. I am just glad fairland JV kids shot so poorly in the last 3 minutes to save us from fairland hanging 100 on us. they are definitely worth the price of admission.
... please don't in anyway think that Gallia is not deserving of THEIR ranking in the Elite 8 or the top 12 or so teams in the SE district - Gallia has the potential to be a very special team - THIS YEAR ... the scores of the 3 games vs Fairland when you look at the offensive output by Gallia and the defense vs Fairland would indicate that GAHS has not changed how they play vs Fairland (at least that is what I take from the napkin stat line) ... an analogy would be "as a teacher , IF my students don't get what I'm teaching I HAVE TO CHANGE how I instruct the students to get a different outcome" ... WHAT Fairland brings to the court "ain't" changing , IF Gallia Academy is going to compete vs Fairland the coaching staff has to change how they are doing things offensively & defensively ... so far through 3 games THAT (changes by the coaching staff) hasn't happened at either end of the court imo ...

Return to “Boys Basketball”