Gallia Academy @ fairland 12/19

seopcommenter
Riding the Bench
Location: i like to back my statemints up with historical factoids

Re: Gallia Academy @ fairland 12/19

Post by seopcommenter »

i think im going to take a nice long dookie and read threw this hole post,, lots of funny predictions !!

River runner
Waterboy

Post by River runner »

Idk how you can see any positives with the exception of Peckwho played fairly well and yes he sadly was put in way too late. 22 turnovers you can’t recover from and Fairland shot the lights out but you have to at least get a hand up. Wiseman caught fire a little in the third and then you pull him made no sense to me not that it cost you the game by any means. Our guard play was just not good at all tonight no other way to put it. Played timid. I’m sure Fairland won’t shoot like that every night but it seemed nobody wanted the ball except for Peck and Wiseman later in the game. Only good thing about this game is it’s over and you get another shot at them. Tough tough loss.

golfis4me
Riding the Bench

Post by golfis4me »

I I stayed for the first quarter so these comments are limited to that:

Fairland's guards simply outclassed GA's in every way. Someone for GA has to step up and at least get the ball across the mid line. Fairland will not be the only OVC team to eat GA's guards up if tonight was any indication

It might have been a good thing this ball game wasn't close the way those first 8 minutes were officiated. Bad calls every which way.

Tought night to see Loveday for the first time. He had two opportunities on the short baseline/block and turned it over and then missed an easy one. I liked the way he carried himself though and he is the captain as a sophomore so that says a lot to me. Seems like a good kid and he is gonna be a good one. Van Horn is no slouch!

Fairland will be tested this week. Huntington and Cox Mill :shock:. Cox Mill is 14 in the nation according to Max Preps and Huntington defending AAA WV champ.

Gallia fighting for 2-5 in OVC with SP, CG and Portsmouth.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

The actual turnover count was over 30. 22 or so of them in back court when fairland gets those balls your not even playing defense. Look at second quarter it is not like fairland did not press. Blue devils handled there end had 3 turnovers. The quarter was 15 to 15 because the blue devils did not turn the ball over. Fairland shoots that great almost every night because they get that many looks.

They get them because they outwork the other team. That was the biggest thing tonight and it did not dawn on me when Pfloyd said he saw nothing special. I thought he was down on our talent he was down on our effort. Fairland plays hard every second. Oak hill the same Portsmouth usually that is why they are always good.. fairland just flat out worked the devils and that is something in the culture of the program. And they deserve much respect for that

Sportsman
Riding the Bench

Post by Sportsman »

Gallia is a good team but not in Fairland category. Let's face facts Fairland is a veteran team and the class of the area. Gallia very good but work to do.

Falcon01
S

Post by Falcon01 »

seopcommenter wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:57 pm
donaldtrump wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:54 pm And their "SHORT" a starter!!!!!!
im sorry to correct you mr presedent but it is actually there
Sorry to correct you, but it's actually they're short a starter.

GalliaGrad78
SEOP

Post by GalliaGrad78 »

Sportsman wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:18 pm Gallia is a good team but not in Fairland category. Let's face facts Fairland is a veteran team and the class of the area. Gallia very good but work to do.
Agreed.

Padrino_Azul ☠️
Waterboy

Post by Padrino_Azul ☠️ »

Got too give fairland props. Very impressive show last night . Their guards and Isiah ate the blue alive . Besides Peck , the blue devils looked scared. They kept look good to the bench for guidance, and none was there . Guard play was terrible. Will be interesting to see how the blue respond to this beating, still a lot of ball to play . The Head coach must prove he can get them going again .

Hornetz_Fan32
Freshman Team

Post by Hornetz_Fan32 »

Reality sets in. Gallipolis got to see what it will take to advance in the tournament. And who were the college coaches coming to see?
I never thought gallipolis would get blown out of the gym. But wow. Just reading from the threads on gallipolis, I remember someone talking about them going to the state. A good check and now I think they know where they stand and what needs worked on.

Vito Corleone
Freshman Team

Post by Vito Corleone »

Ouch... Statement game

Making offers you can't refuse
Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

Their guards and Isiah ate the blue alive . Besides Peck , the blue devils looked scared. They kept looking to the bench for guidance, and none was there . Guard play was terrible. Will be interesting to see how the blue respond to this beating, still a lot of ball to play . The Head coach must prove he can get them going again .

Good post ! Padrino Azul
Last edited by Geronimo on Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tri-StateYouthSports
SEOP

Post by Tri-StateYouthSports »

Gallipolis 12 15 17 6 = 50
Fairland 37 15 29 16 = 97

GALLIPOLIS (5-1, 2-1): Cole Davis 0 0 0-0 0, Caleb Henry 1 0 0-2 2, Evan Wiseman 4 0 2-2 10, Justin McClelland 0 0 0-0 0, Kaden Thomas 0 0 0-0 0, Logan Blour 2 0 0-0 4, Cory Call 1 0 0-0 2, Zach Loveday 4 1 2-2 13, Gage Harrison 0 0 0-0 0, Justin Peck 6 0 5-5 17. Bailey Walker 1 0 0-0 2. Totals: 19 1 9-11 50. Fouls: 16. Fouled out: None.

FAIRLAND (5-0, 3-0): Isaiah Howell 7 4 2-3 28, Ty Staten 6 0 5-6 17, Luke Thomas 2 6 5-5 27, Chase Fisher 0 0 0-0 0, Joel Lambiotte 0 0 0-0 0, Kollin Van Horn 2 0 1-2 5, Matt Mondlak 1 1 2-2 7, Austin Gartin 0 0 0-0 0, Keedrick Cunningham 3 0 0-0 6, Ian Chinn 1 0 0-0 2, Ty Wilcoxon 2 0 1-2 5, Clayton Thomas 0 0 0-0 0, Andy Lange 0 0 0-0 0. Totals: 35-68 11 16-21 97. 3-pt goals: 11-28. Rebounds: 32 (Howell 10, Van Horn 5, Wilcoxon 5). Assists: 7. Fouls: 16. Fouled out: None.

http://www.irontontribune.com/2017/12/2 ... ils-97-50/

Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Not shocked by the Dragons winning, but I never thought the margin would be what it was. I don't see anyone in SE D2 playing even close to Fairland's level at this point of the season.

GAHSBB#1fan
Riding the Bench

Post by GAHSBB#1fan »

My take on the game against Fairland is this Fairland is not a good team they are a great team that plays well together. This team starts 5 seniors who have played in big games after big games. Playing the Blue Devils was just another game to Fairland, but for the Blue Devils it was their super bowl and they played up tight when the game started and was out of the game in first 5 minutes of the game. Yes Fairland came out smoking and yes the Devils came out nervous and that found the Blue Devils down big. Our guard play was shaky to say the least, but our guards will learn from this. I thought the Henry boy once he started to dribble the basketball did a good job getting the ball down court and hitting Peck for some easy layups. I think they need to use him more at the point, but he needs to finish his shots. Fairland beat the Blue Devils by 47 points, but they are not 47 points better than the Blue Devils and I think the next time they play it will be a lot closer game, but I still think Fairland is just so good it would take them having a real off night and the Blue Devils playing the best they can play to beat them. I thought Wiseman played good but after the storm had hit

Firebreather
Freshman Team

Post by Firebreather »

Fairland's domination was definitely guard related but the real factor was the lack of touches to Loveday. I agree with the poster earlier that said to use Loveday to break the press. Then once you get in the half court, he needs a touch every possession! Where Fairland gets you is they will give up a couple easy buckets to get you to play their pace then whammo! Turnovers start piling up when you start trying to push with them. Heck, Van Horn only played 10 minutes because of foul trouble and it being a blowout. Peck wouldnt have got the easy buckets if he plays. Its gonna take a patient team that is willing to slow the game down into the 50's to stand a chance.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

Firebreather wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:13 pm Fairland's domination was definitely guard related but the real factor was the lack of touches to Loveday. I agree with the poster earlier that said to use Loveday to break the press. Then once you get in the half court, he needs a touch every possession! Where Fairland gets you is they will give up a couple easy buckets to get you to play their pace then whammo! Turnovers start piling up when you start trying to push with them. Heck, Van Horn only played 10 minutes because of foul trouble and it being a blowout. Peck wouldnt have got the easy buckets if he plays. Its gonna take a patient team that is willing to slow the game down into the 50's to stand a chance.
van horn didnt gaurd peck even when both were in game.

abelsdaddio
Waterboy

Post by abelsdaddio »

svac83 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:54 pm
Firebreather wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:13 pm Fairland's domination was definitely guard related but the real factor was the lack of touches to Loveday. I agree with the poster earlier that said to use Loveday to break the press. Then once you get in the half court, he needs a touch every possession! Where Fairland gets you is they will give up a couple easy buckets to get you to play their pace then whammo! Turnovers start piling up when you start trying to push with them. Heck, Van Horn only played 10 minutes because of foul trouble and it being a blowout. Peck wouldnt have got the easy buckets if he plays. Its gonna take a patient team that is willing to slow the game down into the 50's to stand a chance.
van horn didnt gaurd peck even when both were in game.
Not guarding Peck but wouldn’t have been under the basket to defend on the easy layups Peck had.

earp
S

Post by earp »

Yes.Much like what Garaway did in the regional semis last year.

BigBlue85
Waterboy

Post by BigBlue85 »

BigBlue85 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:19 am I don't disagree that Fairland has an edge in experience but only slightly. Remember that several of these Gallia kids have been playing varsity for 2-3 years as well. Maybe not as much as the Fairland kids but only slightly less. I hate to build in excuses ahead of time just in case we would lose this game. This Gallia team is a special team and seem to have a chip on their shoulders. Don't count them out before the game. I'm looking for a very competitive game in Proctorville. So on with my worthless prediction lol

Gallia 59
Fairland 63 in OT
I will humbly eat my words here. Did not expect this. I hope and this is a big hope that the coach can get this team back together after that debacle. That isn't one of his strong points however. At least River Valley will be an easy game and should put everyone in a better frame of mind for the holidays. Congrats to Fairland. Until the devils can prove otherwise I believe Fairland is anywhere from 30-40 points better than us. On to the next game. Go Blue

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

GAHSBB#1fan wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:07 pm My take on the game against Fairland is this Fairland is not a good team they are a great team that plays well together. This team starts 5 seniors who have played in big games after big games. Playing the Blue Devils was just another game to Fairland, but for the Blue Devils it was their super bowl and they played up tight when the game started and was out of the game in first 5 minutes of the game. Yes Fairland came out smoking and yes the Devils came out nervous and that found the Blue Devils down big. Our guard play was shaky to say the least, but our guards will learn from this. I thought the Henry boy once he started to dribble the basketball did a good job getting the ball down court and hitting Peck for some easy layups. I think they need to use him more at the point, but he needs to finish his shots. Fairland beat the Blue Devils by 47 points, but they are not 47 points better than the Blue Devils and I think the next time they play it will be a lot closer game, but I still think Fairland is just so good it would take them having a real off night and the Blue Devils playing the best they can play to beat them. I thought Wiseman played good but after the storm had hit
i am not at fairland games so i dont know what there like. But i dont imagine it is a nightly thing that fariland players meet up with the opposing team as soon as they get off the bus and enter the gym like last night. You can tell me it is just another game all you want. And i also dont agree that this was the blue devils super bowl. Do you think they thought the [layoff game last year against waverly was a super bowl. trying to think of a few others. This team does not have a point guard. they haven't had one on years. they struggle against great pressure defense.

And against teams that play whistle to whistle. The blue devils do not have the cultural to play that hard every second. That is why i am disappointed that we are not playing with more pressure at jv and freshmen levek getting the kids in our program used to playing every second. like i said earlier it is a 45 point loss that could of been 60. the one 8 minute quarter the second that you played hard throughout with your head up the score was 15-15 in and you only had 3 turnovers.

The blue devils will win a ton of games. But will struggle against pressure. a lot of those games they will still win because they will have enough talent to overcome the turnovers in the game. but this is the reason we are not oak hill we are not fairland we are not portsmouth and we are not even the culture jackson is building because we are not playing hard every second.

If this team so desires they can start turning it up now in practice and make a few adjustments and play much better against fairland in about 6 weeks. but they need to start throttling people and play hard every second that is not something you can turn on and off.

Fairland is going to be a load for anyone in the state to beat. But the biggest thing is you can never relax against them. as soon as you do a turnover is coming your way. They do a great job of showing easy pass lanes that are sucker passes when they are in press. then out hustle your player to the spot.

One other positive i will say about fairland. last year i thought every thing they had was at the varsity level. i thought after this year they would be done. Dont get me wrong they are going to have a major talent drop off but the way every kid in that program plays hard they are still going to be a good team.. Very nice program.

Return to “Boys Basketball”