Your School's Record For This Decade (2010-Present)

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Re: Your School's Record For This Decade (2010-Present)

Post by trojandave »

thebarlowbandit: Warren does have an outstanding record overall, but their tournament resume doesn't match Portsmouth's......the Trojans have been to 2 Final 4's back to back, and in 2012 was the last SE district school to win a game in the Final 4, the 12th Final 4 win in school history, tied for 5th all time in Ohio. Also regional runnerup in 2015. The Warriors have advanced only once past the district during that span. It is tough to get past the district, so I'll take the Trojans' 3 appearances in the regionals and state tournament over Warren's 1 appearance. Record wise, the Warriors have clearly a better record than Portsmouth, so based on that I would say WHS has the best W-L record over anyone else in the district.

Portsmouth in this decade has the best tournament resume in the SE district, and all time.........it's Portsmouth and not even close. Not my opinion, but fact, and here's a few of them.......64 sectional titles (1st in SE district), 37 district titles (1st in SE district), 15 state appearances (3rd in Ohio), 4 state titles (tied for 6th in Ohio), 4 state runnerups, 27 games played in the state tournament (3rd in Ohio) 16 state tournament wins (tied for 3rd in Ohio), 12 Final 4 wins (tied for 5th in Ohio), 8 decades playing in the state tournament (2nd in Ohio).

79Tiger
All Conference

Post by 79Tiger »

trojandave wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:21 am thebarlowbandit: Warren does have an outstanding record overall, but their tournament resume doesn't match Portsmouth's......the Trojans have been to 2 Final 4's back to back, and in 2012 was the last SE district school to win a game in the Final 4, the 12th Final 4 win in school history, tied for 5th all time in Ohio. Also regional runnerup in 2015. The Warriors have advanced only once past the district during that span. It is tough to get past the district, so I'll take the Trojans' 3 appearances in the regionals and state tournament over Warren's 1 appearance. Record wise, the Warriors have clearly a better record than Portsmouth, so based on that I would say WHS has the best W-L record over anyone else in the district.

Portsmouth in this decade has the best tournament resume in the SE district, and all time.........it's Portsmouth and not even close. Not my opinion, but fact, and here's a few of them.......64 sectional titles (1st in SE district), 37 district titles (1st in SE district), 15 state appearances (3rd in Ohio), 4 state titles (tied for 6th in Ohio), 4 state runnerups, 27 games played in the state tournament (3rd in Ohio) 16 state tournament wins (tied for 3rd in Ohio), 12 Final 4 wins (tied for 5th in Ohio), 8 decades playing in the state tournament (2nd in Ohio).
Impressive. I always enjoyed playing against the Trojans. Won occasionally but mostly on the losing end. I played against some great ones. Jeff Lisath, Craig Tubbs, Jim Ship, Kirk McMahan, Scott Taylor, Scott Burrows, the Bendolph brothers, Curt Wright and the twin towers, the Wilburns.

Once a Tiger, always a Tiger. :D
trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

79Tiger: Thanks for the compliments. We Trojan fans always dreaded seeing Ironton in our tournament bracket because we knew it would be a tough game. IHS had their share of great players, from Doug Birchfield, Bobby Brice, the Barnes brothers, Zach Carter, Trey Fletcher, Dennis Gagai, Brigham Waginger, Marquee Davis, and a host of others. I've said for years that Ironton basketball was very underrated, being overshadowed for many years by the Fighting Tigers success on the gridiron.

79Tiger
All Conference

Post by 79Tiger »

Our biggest win against Portsmouth when I played was the 1979 District title game at the Convo. Portsmouth had beaten us during the season and were defending state champs. I was assigned to guard Craig Tubbs and believe me, I gave it my all to deny him the ball and harass him when he did get it. And he still scored 21 points. He was a tough assignment. I guarded Jeff Lisath the year before in the sectional. I was only a sophomore. Jeff made me look like I was in grade school.

golfis4me
Riding the Bench

Post by golfis4me »

South Point Pointers

2010-2011: 12-10, Sectional Finals
2011-2012: 11-11, Sectional Finals
2012-2013: 10-13, Sectional Finals
2013-2014: 17-8, District Semis, OVC champions, Brandon Barnes sets scoring record (1,495)
2014-2015: 3-20, Sectional Semis
2015-2016: 8-15, Sectional Semis
2016-2017: 16-9, District Finals
2017-2018: 2-2, TBD

Total W-L: 79-88

Travis Wise (2014-present) 29-46
Chris Barnes (2009-2014) 62-52

Last year was an important year for the Pointers. South Point has historically struggled to turn successful regular seasons into deep tournament runs ('13-'14, '06-'08, etc.) The district finals appearance last year was the farthest the Pointers have advanced since maybe the 90's(?), only 2 years after one of the programs' worst seasons in decades. Fox is just a junior. Several underclassman are getting big minutes including a freshman. They should be competitive the rest of the decade.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

79Tiger: I'm not asking for your identity, but I do remember a guard for that 1979 Ironton team by the name of Tim Hodges. I remember how hard Hodges played. That team also had Robin Fitzpatrick, who dunked in that game. I assume he was related to Dean Fitzpatrick, who was one of the best big men in Ironton history (about 6-7). I think Dean played around 1977 and had already graduated if I remember correctly. I also remember Dickie James, who had a good game against us that night and scored the two game winning FT's with just a few seconds left. That Ironton win ended the longest winning streak in Portsmouth history at 29 games.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

golfis4me: The 1990 South Point Pointers advanced to the regional semifinal, losing to Steubenville. That Pointer team's star player was Randall Pennington, who was about 6-4 and played really tough in the paint.

With Fairland, Portsmouth, and Coal Grove losing most of their star players this year, I look for South Point, Gallia Academy, and possibly Chesapeake to battle for the OVC title in 2018-2019. The Pointers look to have some good talent coming soon. The freshman Webb kid had a really good game vs. the Trojans this year.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

I'm guessing Barlow was meaning the D2 district teams. Warren or Logan elm. But you can also throw in Zanesville and Chillicothe. You can't really compare anyone to Portsmouth in the area

79Tiger
All Conference

Post by 79Tiger »

trojandave wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:45 pm 79Tiger: I'm not asking for your identity, but I do remember a guard for that 1979 Ironton team by the name of Tim Hodges. I remember how hard Hodges played. That team also had Robin Fitzpatrick, who dunked in that game. I assume he was related to Dean Fitzpatrick, who was one of the best big men in Ironton history (about 6-7). I think Dean played around 1977 and had already graduated if I remember correctly. I also remember Dickie James, who had a good game against us that night and scored the two game winning FT's with just a few seconds left. That Ironton win ended the longest winning streak in Portsmouth history at 29 games.
That was a hard fought game by both teams. By the way, I am TH.

Copenhagen
Waterboy

Post by Copenhagen »

Not really familiar with their stats but Vinton County could really be considered on of the best teams in this area. It seems to me they have been playing at the Convo in Athens almost every year.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

trojandave wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:48 pm golfis4me: The 1990 South Point Pointers advanced to the regional semifinal, losing to Steubenville. That Pointer team's star player was Randall Pennington, who was about 6-4 and played really tough in the paint.

With Fairland, Portsmouth, and Coal Grove losing most of their star players this year, I look for South Point, Gallia Academy, and possibly Chesapeake to battle for the OVC title in 2018-2019. The Pointers look to have some good talent coming soon. The freshman Webb kid had a really good game vs. the Trojans this year.
Randall is an assistant at Amanda Clearcreek. Dude is still a monster in the paint too.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Copenhagen wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:22 am Not really familiar with their stats but Vinton County could really be considered on of the best teams in this area. It seems to me they have been playing at the Convo in Athens almost every year.
They are. Coach Combs and his staff have done an awesome job year-in, year-out. Great group of kids too.

golfis4me
Riding the Bench

Post by golfis4me »

trojandave wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:48 pm golfis4me: The 1990 South Point Pointers advanced to the regional semifinal, losing to Steubenville. That Pointer team's star player was Randall Pennington, who was about 6-4 and played really tough in the paint.

Thanks trojandave. I knew they won the OVC in 1990 but wasn't sure how far they advanced in the tournament. Pennington was a heckuva player. I actually talked to a gentleman from Greenfield-McClain at the Ironton Classic today who said he remembered playing against Pennington at the Convo and spoke of how quality a player he was. It is truly astonishing that SP has only won 1 district title in the last 27 years, considering some of the talent they have had.

golfis4me
Riding the Bench

Post by golfis4me »

danicalifornia wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:31 am

Randall is an assistant at Amanda Clearcreek. Dude is still a monster in the paint too.
Him and Ryan Taylor from Marshall went at it in a 3 on 3 tourney at South Point last year. Hes still got it.

beaverlover
SE

Post by beaverlover »

Eastern Pike so far this decade under PJ Fitch (10-15)and Tom Barrick(2016-current) have 142 wins and 55 losses,they have 6 sectional titles,1district title,1 regional runner up and 2 district runner up trophies.They have 4 Soc 1 titles.

2010-(17-3)lost sectional final
2011-(11-11) lost district semi
2012-(19-6)lost regional final
2013-(18-4) lost district semi
2014-(15-7)lost sectional final
2015-(18-7)lost district final
2016-(16-8)lost district semi
2017-(19-6)lost district final
2018-(9-3)TBD

Return to “Boys Basketball”