Meigs is (2-9),(1-4 TVC-Ohio)

tvc_fan
Varsity

Re: Possible POY in TVC

Post by tvc_fan »

Poo Bear wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:00 pm Meigs is 2-8
What is your point?

You realize Meigs is healthy now.
Meigs has playes 10 of 12 games on the road.
Games he has played in he has put up 23, 30, 18, 21 and 13 points.

Meigs will have a nice run with all healthy and 8 out of 10 games left at home.

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

They better make some serious noise in the league to have an MVP candidate

Ed Ott
Varsity

Post by Ed Ott »

Im not real familiar with the tvc competition. I like to look at what player does the best against the better teams. Who has VC played that is pretty good? How’d their two stars do?

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Poo Bear wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:20 pm They better make some serious noise in the league to have an MVP candidate
I don't care how good Meigs plays down the stretch, VC is not going to have more than 4 league losses, so a TVC-Ohio championship is out of the question.

To have any player, whether it be from Meigs, Athens, NY, anyone really - pass Speakman (or Yates) they better score about 40 a game.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Ed Ott wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:23 pm Im not real familiar with the tvc competition. I like to look at what player does the best against the better teams. Who has VC played that is pretty good? How’d their two stars do?
Not the best judge in TVC mvp discussion. VC hasn’t played very many really good teams. The Maysville team petty good? No clue if either played well. Against Jackson Yates was the better player. Not sure who else they have played that is .500 or better

bburner
Freshman Team

Post by bburner »

93Bulldog wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:27 pm
Poo Bear wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:20 pm They better make some serious noise in the league to have an MVP candidate
I don't care how good Meigs plays down the stretch, VC is not going to have more than 4 league losses, so a TVC-Ohio championship is out of the question.

To have any player, whether it be from Meigs, Athens, NY, anyone really - pass Speakman (or Yates) they better score about 40 a game.
40 / game - why? Because we have said their names over & over. It's the BEST player & there is half a season left. There is a kid from Meigs with better points per game than Yates & a kid from NY averaging 17 / 15 reb. My pick would be Speakman but it's far from over.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

It's not ALWAYS the best player, it's who the coaches think is the player of the year ... And leading your team to a league title carries a lot of weight

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

POY in 2016 Was Griffin Lutz. Was that the year he only played 14 games because of the serious injury to his foot?

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

Speakman carries the team with both Yates' out-he scores 42 in the 84-81 loss to NY. If VC wins that game is there even a discussion between him and Yates at this point?

tvc_fan
Varsity

Post by tvc_fan »

VisionQuest wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:16 am Speakman carries the team with both Yates' out-he scores 42 in the 84-81 loss to NY. If VC wins that game is there even a discussion between him and Yates at this point?
But 0-3 without Yates
7-1 with him.

I'd like to see stats of them both in all the other games.

Realist
Freshman Team

Post by Realist »

VC players hurt themselves bc they are all so good. It's hard for one to make their stats stand out. Boyer from NY or Mattox from Meigs get to stand out every night because they are their best players. In my opinion, it's got to be Yates or Speakman, but you never know.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

Right now, Coach Combs is only concern with getting through this stretch of games and the weather, and getting healthy and remaining healthy. In the end, the POY will take care of itself. Jake Speakman and Naylan Yates are both worthy candidates, but I can assure you, neither one of them cares. They want to win the conference, and get to the Convo, after that, they will take it one game at a time. And, whoever helps, stands out, plays their role, and if they do that, and they win as a team, each will be as happy for the other. Heck, just as they would be happy for the 14th guy off the bench and helps them to a conference and sectional title. As Poo Bear stated, we are very fortunate to have a culture of not only winning, but winning as a team. There are four words painted on the locker room wall, and they are a staple of what we are about, because, it is an expectation...SURRENDER ME FOR WE.

Also, we have been very fortunate to have had talent, that possibly could have been "The Man" on other teams, but they bought in and played their role superbly. That is why when you look at the most recent list, there are only two (2) representatives from Vinton County in the past nine years. Before that, we had four (4) Viking representatives; therefore, six (6) individuals, winning seven (7) in the last eighteen (18) seasons. Here is a partial list.

2008 - Dustin Guthrie
2007 - Dustin Guthrie
2006 -
2005 - Chris Bethel and two others
2004 - Ryan Kent
2003 -
2002 -
2001 -
2000 - Josh Patterson

Sid Farkus
Freshman Team

Post by Sid Farkus »

hawkeyepierce wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:36 pm Right now, Coach Combs is only concern with getting through this stretch of games and the weather, and getting healthy and remaining healthy. In the end, the POY will take care of itself. Jake Speakman and Naylan Yates are both worthy candidates, but I can assure you, neither one of them cares. They want to win the conference, and get to the Convo, after that, they will take it one game at a time. And, whoever helps, stands out, plays their role, and if they do that, and they win as a team, each will be as happy for the other. Heck, just as they would be happy for the 14th guy off the bench and helps them to a conference and sectional title. As Poo Bear stated, we are very fortunate to have a culture of not only winning, but winning as a team. There are four words painted on the locker room wall, and they are a staple of what we are about, because, it is an expectation...SURRENDER ME FOR WE.

Also, we have been very fortunate to have had talent, that possibly could have been "The Man" on other teams, but they bought in and played their role superbly. That is why when you look at the most recent list, there are only two (2) representatives from Vinton County in the past nine years. Before that, we had four (4) Viking representatives; therefore, six (6) individuals, winning seven (7) in the last eighteen (18) seasons. Here is a partial list.

2008 - Dustin Guthrie
2007 - Dustin Guthrie
2006 -
2005 - Chris Bethel and two others
2004 - Ryan Kent
2003 -
2002 -
2001 -
2000 - Josh Patterson
I'll try to fill in the blanks if my memory serves me correct.
I believe Josh Patterson was 2001 and it was a co-MVP with Pat Klein of Belpre.
2002 - Nick Morey, Belpre
2003 - Tyler Thomas, Alexander
2004 - Ryan Kent, VC, Brant Derrow, Wellston
2005 - Chris Bethel, VC, Jake Hale, Alexander, player from Belpre
2006 - Jordan Thornhill, Belpre

Pretty sure those are correct. If I heard the 2005 player from Belpre I'd know it. Drawing a blank right now.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

With the Athens turnaround and 5 in a row on the road. And now sitting at 2nd place alongside Wellston and Alex in the TVC-Ohio and 1 point away from a tie with VC for 1st place with the 62-61 loss at Wellston and 6 points away from Sole ownership with the 50-44 loss at Alex. I want to throw Logan Maxfields name in the ring, the kid is scoring buckets which everyone loves to see, but his game is so much more, he brings an unmatched energy against anyone on the Floor, opposing players included. He plays Stellar defense and gets the steals, gets down court for fast breaks, he will take a charge and turn a game around, he will lay himself out for a loose ball, sacrificing his body every night!!! This whole season I have not seen any players doing what he is doing. Logan Maxfield deserves serious consideration!!!

therealNY
Freshman Team

Post by therealNY »

Athens talent is all over, Butcher, Hynes, Chubb, etc.

If you ain't first, you're last!
fireball
Freshman Team

Post by fireball »

Hixson in the hocking is better than anybody in both leagues so he should get it in the hocking

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

Yates - VC

Or yates and Speakman CO

End of discussion

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

Poo Bear wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:04 pm Yates - VC

Or yates and Speakman CO

End of discussion
How is it end of Discussion? Why because he puts up a bunch of points? I would like to see the numbers on how many shots Yates puts up per game-I would venture to say it 20-25. I would say Maxfield puts up around 10-12. I just don't think it is fair to not look at the Defensive side of things also.

Return to “Boys Basketball”