Possible POY in TVC

Allthewayup11
Freshman Team
Posts: 145
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:01 am

Re: Possible POY in TVC

Post by Allthewayup11 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:33 pm

moorelukas wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:22 pm
Truth&fiction wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:04 pm
I saw on a thread about Stat leader that Athens does not have a double digit average scorer, POY in the TVC usually average 20+ . So what weighs more in the voting . Some think POY should be who does the most for his team ( Plays good D , good passer , gets on the floor , plays under control , makes his team mates better , does not have to be the leading scorer and is satisfied at that , just a good all around ball player that is unselfish ( way too many selfish player that takes their team mates out of the flow) someone that is team first instead of I only ) So who in the TVC fits that description ?What does everyone think the POY should have on his resume ? Still a lot of Basketball to be played . If Athens wins the TVC it could be someone that does not average very many PPG but does all the lessor things that makes his team better.
This is false. Let's get the real Athens numbers out there so we can quit guessing and speculating. Athens is unbelievably balanced and versatile, and outside of Weston Baer and JK Kearns I would take these 5 players over everybody in the TVC-Ohio.

Logan Maxfield (SR) - 11.8points, 2.4rebounds, 2.6assists, 2.0steals, 1.5turnovers/gm, 54%Fg, 19%three, 63%FT, 6 charges drawn
Eli Chubb (SR) - 9.4points, 5.0rebounds, 2.7assists, 1.7steals, 1.4blocks, 2.7turnovers/gm, 38%Fg, 19%three, 50%FT
Elijah Williams (SR) - 7.5points, 5.2rebounds, 3.0assists, 3.3steals, 0.4blocks, 4.5turnovers/gm, 41%Fg, 0-9three, 50%FT
Justin Hynes (SR) - 7.3points, 4.4rebounds, 1.4assists, 1.3steals, 0.2blocks, 1.9turnovers/gm, 57%Fg, 1-1three, 50%FT
Isaiah Butcher (JR) - 7.0points, 6.0rebounds, 1.9assists, 1.5steals, 0.5blocks, 1.9turnovers/gm, 34%Fg, 22%three, 27%FT
Thank for this Moore. Very comparable stats for all the players. Baer having a great season too. Definitely could come down to the final TVC game. Going to be big with Meigs going to Athens head to head against Baer, and games at Vinton and Alexander. This is great detail.



bburner
Freshman Team
Posts: 150
Joined: Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:23 pm

Re: Possible POY in TVC

Post by bburner » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:32 am

Oh no. IT'S STARTING AGAIN! I know this blog is Athens "heavy" but let things play out & let the stats speak for themselves. All Athens players mentioned are really good players. It's only halfway through the season. Baer is averaging nearly 20 & is shooting a good percentage.....He is the front runner; his team is trending upward as well. His 30 vs NY was for real & he sat out the 4th quarter for the most part.
The league title is where it's at anyway - Athens, Meigs & Alexander should have some great battles upcoming.



Truth&fiction
Varsity
Posts: 554
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:36 am

Re: Possible POY in TVC

Post by Truth&fiction » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:10 pm

moorelukas wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:22 pm
Truth&fiction wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:04 pm
I saw on a thread about Stat leader that Athens does not have a double digit average scorer, POY in the TVC usually average 20+ . So what weighs more in the voting . Some think POY should be who does the most for his team ( Plays good D , good passer , gets on the floor , plays under control , makes his team mates better , does not have to be the leading scorer and is satisfied at that , just a good all around ball player that is unselfish ( way too many selfish player that takes their team mates out of the flow) someone that is team first instead of I only ) So who in the TVC fits that description ?What does everyone think the POY should have on his resume ? Still a lot of Basketball to be played . If Athens wins the TVC it could be someone that does not average very many PPG but does all the lessor things that makes his team better.
This is false. Let's get the real Athens numbers out there so we can quit guessing and speculating. Athens is unbelievably balanced and versatile, and outside of Weston Baer and JK Kearns I would take these 5 players over everybody in the TVC-Ohio.

Logan Maxfield (SR) - 11.8points, 2.4rebounds, 2.6assists, 2.0steals, 1.5turnovers/gm, 54%Fg, 19%three, 63%FT, 6 charges drawn
Eli Chubb (SR) - 9.4points, 5.0rebounds, 2.7assists, 1.7steals, 1.4blocks, 2.7turnovers/gm, 38%Fg, 19%three, 50%FT
Elijah Williams (SR) - 7.5points, 5.2rebounds, 3.0assists, 3.3steals, 0.4blocks, 4.5turnovers/gm, 41%Fg, 0-9three, 50%FT
Justin Hynes (SR) - 7.3points, 4.4rebounds, 1.4assists, 1.3steals, 0.2blocks, 1.9turnovers/gm, 57%Fg, 1-1three, 50%FT
Isaiah Butcher (JR) - 7.0points, 6.0rebounds, 1.9assists, 1.5steals, 0.5blocks, 1.9turnovers/gm, 34%Fg, 22%three, 27%FT
The quote is not false as intended . The thread that MATTASH started gave me that info . No disrespect intended but if anyone for Athens is going to win POY they would need to average more than 11.8 PPG . That's because everyone puts PPG as the trump card . I do not agree with that. I believe body of work should be weighted . Maxfield and Chubbs pretty close by Stats to win the POY ,But lots of games yet to be played. Can anyone post some of the other contenders stats?



Sniper_Fan
Waterboy
Posts: 44
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:19 am

Re: Possible POY in TVC

Post by Sniper_Fan » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:03 pm

moorelukas wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:22 pm
Truth&fiction wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:04 pm
I saw on a thread about Stat leader that Athens does not have a double digit average scorer, POY in the TVC usually average 20+ . So what weighs more in the voting . Some think POY should be who does the most for his team ( Plays good D , good passer , gets on the floor , plays under control , makes his team mates better , does not have to be the leading scorer and is satisfied at that , just a good all around ball player that is unselfish ( way too many selfish player that takes their team mates out of the flow) someone that is team first instead of I only ) So who in the TVC fits that description ?What does everyone think the POY should have on his resume ? Still a lot of Basketball to be played . If Athens wins the TVC it could be someone that does not average very many PPG but does all the lessor things that makes his team better.
This is false. Let's get the real Athens numbers out there so we can quit guessing and speculating. Athens is unbelievably balanced and versatile, and outside of Weston Baer and JK Kearns I would take these 5 players over everybody in the TVC-Ohio.

Logan Maxfield (SR) - 11.8points, 2.4rebounds, 2.6assists, 2.0steals, 1.5turnovers/gm, 54%Fg, 19%three, 63%FT, 6 charges drawn
Eli Chubb (SR) - 9.4points, 5.0rebounds, 2.7assists, 1.7steals, 1.4blocks, 2.7turnovers/gm, 38%Fg, 19%three, 50%FT
Elijah Williams (SR) - 7.5points, 5.2rebounds, 3.0assists, 3.3steals, 0.4blocks, 4.5turnovers/gm, 41%Fg, 0-9three, 50%FT
Justin Hynes (SR) - 7.3points, 4.4rebounds, 1.4assists, 1.3steals, 0.2blocks, 1.9turnovers/gm, 57%Fg, 1-1three, 50%FT
Isaiah Butcher (JR) - 7.0points, 6.0rebounds, 1.9assists, 1.5steals, 0.5blocks, 1.9turnovers/gm, 34%Fg, 22%three, 27%FT
If the season ended today, i agree that no one Athens kid puts up enough points to be POY.

But, If you look at ALL of the numbers posted and decide that it should go to a Dog, it should come down to Williams or Chubb. But from watching the games, IMO Hynes is the true heart and soul of the team. I love the kid's motor. Just my two cents



VisionQuest
All State
Posts: 1334
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:54 pm

Re: Possible POY in TVC

Post by VisionQuest » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:50 pm

So they are getting “knocked” for playing as a team? Which is what is preached throughout their years playing. There is no “I” in team isn’t that what we preach? They don’t have any players who consistently put up 20-30 shots a game which is evident with how comparable the stats are. Most are unselfish and that’s what has got them where they are, they aren’t afraid of that extra pass.



Sniper_Fan
Waterboy
Posts: 44
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:19 am

Re: Possible POY in TVC

Post by Sniper_Fan » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:17 pm

You got a point.

Then with the scoring being so close, i would go with the rebound and assist numbers. I think Williams is clearly your POY



VisionQuest
All State
Posts: 1334
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:54 pm

Re: Possible POY in TVC

Post by VisionQuest » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:20 pm

Sniper_Fan wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:17 pm
You got a point.

Then with the scoring being so close, i would go with the rebound and assist numbers. I think Williams is clearly your POY
I honestly don’t care who it is, but if we go by what everyone preached last year it should be a player from the team that wins the TVC. Still half a season to go so we will re-visit in a month or so and see where everyone stands.



vcgrad
Freshman Team
Posts: 167
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:48 am

Re: Possible POY in TVC

Post by vcgrad » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:34 am

Maybe not have a POY this year? Or give the award to the whole team?



Maroon and gold
Waterboy
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:09 am

Re: Possible POY in TVC

Post by Maroon and gold » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:43 am

All this silly talk. Weston Baer is the POY and it's not even close. You can get into the minutia trying to justify all the stats for the top 9 kids from Athens or whatever but night in and night out Weston Baer is the primary target of opposing defenders. He ALWAYS brings it.



Allthewayup11
Freshman Team
Posts: 145
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:01 am

Re: Possible POY in TVC

Post by Allthewayup11 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:52 pm

Maroon and gold wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:43 am
All this silly talk. Weston Baer is the POY and it's not even close. You can get into the minutia trying to justify all the stats for the top 9 kids from Athens or whatever but night in and night out Weston Baer is the primary target of opposing defenders. He ALWAYS brings it.
Did I read 7 3 pointers last night? That’s impressive! He is consistent. That’s for sure.



hateraid
Varsity
Posts: 494
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:21 pm

Re: Possible POY in TVC

Post by hateraid » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:23 pm

VisionQuest wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:50 pm
So they are getting “knocked” for playing as a team? Which is what is preached throughout their years playing. There is no “I” in team isn’t that what we preach? They don’t have any players who consistently put up 20-30 shots a game which is evident with how comparable the stats are. Most are unselfish and that’s what has got them where they are, they aren’t afraid of that extra pass.
You are correct there is no "I" in TEAM.....However, there is an "M" and an "E" which spells ME.



Truth&fiction
Varsity
Posts: 554
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:36 am

Re: Possible POY in TVC

Post by Truth&fiction » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:45 pm

hateraid wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:23 pm
VisionQuest wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:50 pm
So they are getting “knocked” for playing as a team? Which is what is preached throughout their years playing. There is no “I” in team isn’t that what we preach? They don’t have any players who consistently put up 20-30 shots a game which is evident with how comparable the stats are. Most are unselfish and that’s what has got them where they are, they aren’t afraid of that extra pass.
You are correct there is no "I" in TEAM.....However, there is an "M" and an "E" which spells ME.
The TEAM concept will win you some games you should not win the ME concept you will loose some games you should win or could win . Players that are coachable and work together make the game more enjoyable . Players that put up 18 to 20 plus shots ,well it would be hard to say even half of those are done in the flow of the offense . Good thing for the Bulldogs you do not know who is going to step up.



VisionQuest
All State
Posts: 1334
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:54 pm

Re: Possible POY in TVC

Post by VisionQuest » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:55 pm

Meigs doesn’t have the best record. 3-3 in the TVC so far. However; with the way Baer has been playing he has to be the Frontrunner at this point. Still half a season to go. Can it go to a player who puts up these impressive stats for I am speculating a 3rd place TVC team?



User avatar
93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF
Posts: 12983
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:01 am
Location: Southeastern Ohio
Contact:

Re: Possible POY in TVC

Post by 93Bulldog » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:35 pm

VisionQuest wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:55 pm
Meigs doesn’t have the best record. 3-3 in the TVC so far. However; with the way Baer has been playing he has to be the Frontrunner at this point. Still half a season to go. Can it go to a player who puts up these impressive stats for I am speculating a 3rd place TVC team?
How does a player/team perform vs good competition carries a lot of weight. Scoring 25 vs River Valley is one thing, how does a player do vs Athens & Alex or maybe VC is another.



Maroon and gold
Waterboy
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:09 am

Re: Possible POY in TVC

Post by Maroon and gold » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:38 pm

VisionQuest wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:55 pm
Meigs doesn’t have the best record. 3-3 in the TVC so far. However; with the way Baer has been playing he has to be the Frontrunner at this point. Still half a season to go. Can it go to a player who puts up these impressive stats for I am speculating a 3rd place TVC team?
Why wouldn't it? The team of the year gets the championship. If the league's best performer doesn't happen to play on that team, why would that matter?



VisionQuest
All State
Posts: 1334
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:54 pm

Re: Possible POY in TVC

Post by VisionQuest » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:47 pm

Maroon and gold wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:38 pm
VisionQuest wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:55 pm
Meigs doesn’t have the best record. 3-3 in the TVC so far. However; with the way Baer has been playing he has to be the Frontrunner at this point. Still half a season to go. Can it go to a player who puts up these impressive stats for I am speculating a 3rd place TVC team?
Why wouldn't it? The team of the year gets the championship. If the league's best performer doesn't happen to play on that team, why would that matter?
Believe me it does.



Maroon and gold
Waterboy
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:09 am

Re: Possible POY in TVC

Post by Maroon and gold » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:51 pm

93Bulldog wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:35 pm
VisionQuest wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:55 pm
Meigs doesn’t have the best record. 3-3 in the TVC so far. However; with the way Baer has been playing he has to be the Frontrunner at this point. Still half a season to go. Can it go to a player who puts up these impressive stats for I am speculating a 3rd place TVC team?
How does a player/team perform vs good competition carries a lot of weight. Scoring 25 vs River Valley is one thing, how does a player do vs Athens & Alex or maybe VC is another.
I understand what you're saying but you're trying to turn it into rocket science. Are we going to split the hairs at player versus team, or player versus teams best defender, or player versus teams best defender in crunch time?



Maroon and gold
Waterboy
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:09 am

Re: Possible POY in TVC

Post by Maroon and gold » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:52 pm

VisionQuest wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:47 pm
Maroon and gold wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:38 pm
VisionQuest wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:55 pm
Meigs doesn’t have the best record. 3-3 in the TVC so far. However; with the way Baer has been playing he has to be the Frontrunner at this point. Still half a season to go. Can it go to a player who puts up these impressive stats for I am speculating a 3rd place TVC team?
Why wouldn't it? The team of the year gets the championship. If the league's best performer doesn't happen to play on that team, why would that matter?
Believe me it does.

OK. I believe you. Lol



User avatar
93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF
Posts: 12983
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:01 am
Location: Southeastern Ohio
Contact:

Re: Possible POY in TVC

Post by 93Bulldog » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:19 pm

21 pages. Ridiculous. Lol

Bottom line is, Baer, Kearns or an Athens player could end up with the award ... And whichever one does, will have earned it and not much could be said to debate the choice. That's what happens when there is no clear cut favorite.



Ironman92
SEOPS Mr. Ohio
Posts: 18055
Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:04 am

Re: Possible POY in TVC

Post by Ironman92 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:31 pm

93Bulldog wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:19 pm
21 pages. Ridiculous. Lol

Bottom line is, Baer, Kearns or an Athens player could end up with the award ... And whichever one does, will have earned it and not much could be said to debate the choice. That's what happens when there is no clear cut favorite.
Not true. The first 18 pages are all from last year’s debate



Truth&fiction
Varsity
Posts: 554
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:36 am

Re: Possible POY in TVC

Post by Truth&fiction » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:52 pm

Ironman92 wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:31 pm
93Bulldog wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:19 pm
21 pages. Ridiculous. Lol

Bottom line is, Baer, Kearns or an Athens player could end up with the award ... And whichever one does, will have earned it and not much could be said to debate the choice. That's what happens when there is no clear cut favorite.
Not true. The first 18 pages are all from last year’s debate
Could it be that SEOP is ruled by TVC Posters?



VisionQuest
All State
Posts: 1334
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:54 pm

Re: Possible POY in TVC

Post by VisionQuest » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:19 pm

Preps has been pretty stale this year, hardly any posters it seems. I had to come back out of retirement to make it interesting. LOL. I am a toned down version from last year though, YOGA has really helped channel my inner peace.



Post Reply

Return to “Boys Basketball”