Possible POY in TVC

Allthewayup11
Freshman Team

Re: Possible POY in TVC

Post by Allthewayup11 »

Johnstown wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:28 pm Vinton has outstanding players. For those that know basketball the same top players for Athens are the ones playing now. Evident of their 8 game win streak .Pre season hype means nothing nor does parent hype. Maxfield, Chubb and Hynes are all actually the same level with different skill sets.As assists Athens fans are well aware they were not getting the ball much until Saltzmen moved into the point from the injury bug . . Butcher plain and simple is an offensive force but all are willing to go to the open man. Williams is flashy and exciting and he and Saltzmen can play together so that increases productivity. Robert who is appreciated by his teamates fills defensive voids within. I loved watching Griff last season but is more enjoyable to see the product this season. I always appreciate the VC fans. It will quite a effort for either to win. Good luck to both squads.BTW Athens is not looking past Alexander.This is rivalry again IF Athns wins so fri is gonna be craZY
Just FYI... I have never seen Saltzman and Williams on the court at the same time. They both play the point. Chubb and Williams have a significant number of turnoverswhich are fixable once they understand the game a little better and get better vision of the court before mid court instead of after. Hynes is solid but needs to fix that dribble down low as it has become problematic at times with he and Butcher as of late versus just going up once they receive the pass. Fix that, and these two are putting up some insane numbers in the paint even moreso.

91blue14
SE

Post by 91blue14 »

has the award ever been won by someone who is not even the best player on his team?

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

Allthewayup11 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:37 am
Johnstown wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:28 pm Vinton has outstanding players. For those that know basketball the same top players for Athens are the ones playing now. Evident of their 8 game win streak .Pre season hype means nothing nor does parent hype. Maxfield, Chubb and Hynes are all actually the same level with different skill sets.As assists Athens fans are well aware they were not getting the ball much until Saltzmen moved into the point from the injury bug . . Butcher plain and simple is an offensive force but all are willing to go to the open man. Williams is flashy and exciting and he and Saltzmen can play together so that increases productivity. Robert who is appreciated by his teamates fills defensive voids within. I loved watching Griff last season but is more enjoyable to see the product this season. I always appreciate the VC fans. It will quite a effort for either to win. Good luck to both squads.BTW Athens is not looking past Alexander.This is rivalry again IF Athns wins so fri is gonna be craZY
Just FYI... I have never seen Saltzman and Williams on the court at the same time. They both play the point. Chubb and Williams have a significant number of turnoverswhich are fixable once they understand the game a little better and get better vision of the court before mid court instead of after. Hynes is solid but needs to fix that dribble down low as it has become problematic at times with he and Butcher as of late versus just going up once they receive the pass. Fix that, and these two are putting up some insane numbers in the paint even moreso.
We must be watching different games then. Because when I have watched Chubb this year he rarely turns the ball over and has great court vision. When he rebounds on the defensive end he actually can drive the length of the Court if he needs to and take the shot or dish off, most generally he gets the rebound and gets a quick outlet pass where it finds Maxfield now since he is at the top of the key on Defense, this is contributing to Maxfield being the leading scorer most games now. Chubb was actually the starting Point Guard as a Freshman which contributes to his Ball Handling skills even at 6' 4" and continuing to grow. To say he has a significant amount of turnovers and no court vision and doesn't understand the game is Ludicrous. I would say he has one of the highest Basketball IQ's on the court, I always see him communicating with the coach and other players.

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

I have Chubb as MVP of the TVC, will be a close vote with the other 4 Athens starters.

Allthewayup11
Freshman Team

Post by Allthewayup11 »

VisionQuest wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:28 pm
Allthewayup11 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:37 am
We must be watching different games then. Because when I have watched Chubb this year he rarely turns the ball over and has great court vision. When he rebounds on the defensive end he actually can drive the length of the Court if he needs to and take the shot or dish off, most generally he gets the rebound and gets a quick outlet pass where it finds Maxfield now since he is at the top of the key on Defense, this is contributing to Maxfield being the leading scorer most games now. Chubb was actually the starting Point Guard as a Freshman which contributes to his Ball Handling skills even at 6' 4" and continuing to grow. To say he has a significant amount of turnovers and no court vision and doesn't understand the game is Ludicrous. I would say he has one of the highest Basketball IQ's on the court, I always see him communicating with the coach and other players.
Never said Chubb didn't understand the game, nor did I say he wasn't a good player. He is a good player. He's just has had moments this season wher he gets careless with the ball. Also, if you look closely, when he struggles on the defensive side or with turnovers on offense, it usually hinders his offensive production. Cozart has a short leash on him at times I have noticed. I would say most of his outlets go to the guards (Saltzman and Williams) who are primarily the ones pushing the ball up the court in transition with their dribbling and speed. On the flip side Chubb has definitely been amassing rebounds and blocks as of late with the movement of Maxfield up top. Hynes and Maxfield were running close in rebounding as well as offensive rebounds till they moved him to the top. I wouldn't say we see to many kids who can be flexible enough to be utility players and better the position like that across the teams within the TVC. Especially on the defensive side.

I am predicting a battle between he, Hynes and Maxfield for POY next year. If Williams, gets some time this Spring and Summer and improves his skillset, he might be the dark horse for POY. Not to mention, if Butcher has a big year. That will be a heck of a starting 5 and all contenders.

HamPorter
All Conference

Post by HamPorter »

Hooray! We are at the "Athens Parents Infighting About Their Kids" portion of the season! My personal favorite time of the year.

Allthewayup11
Freshman Team

Post by Allthewayup11 »

HamPorter wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:03 pm Hooray! We are at the "Athens Parents Infighting About Their Kids" portion of the season! My personal favorite time of the year.
Not here. I've got no skin in this game. LOL! Call it as I see it.

morehead state
Waterboy

Post by morehead state »

Ham Porter is right. It is not enough for the Athens people that they turned the season around since the injury to the one with most minutes etc. The bickering will really be funny when all TVC selections takes place. The second and third place teams get three on the squad. Who does the coach of Athens nominate and place because that is how it is done?

Sniper_Fan
Waterboy

Post by Sniper_Fan »

Wow, 6 Pages!! The whole area of the state is buzzing about this weighty topic.

All of your analysis is well thought out and reasonably argued. After careful consideration, I think I am prepared to chime in with my opinion.

I have to agree with the parent of the Athens kid posting here - I think that YOUR kid is the one that REALLY deserves it. The other ones don't

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

The Truth is I will talk up any player that I feel is worthy. I think these kids work hard and deserve accolades and praise when it is Warranted. I do this not only for Athens Players but for opposing players as well. Look at some of my posts on here and you will see I thoroughly appreciate a kid who gives us a good game and will mention them by name and praise them. As far as POY I believe I was the one who got the discussion really started about Maxfield from Athens and it appears to have gained some traction and people are really talking about it. And I truly believe he deserves it with the way he has been playing. Then recently in this post you see discussion about best all around player. 93Bulldog the announcer for WXTQ sports who is there for every game and knows a lot of basketball mentions he believes Eli Chubb is Athens best all around player. If anyone would know it is 93Bulldog. Well apparently this Ruffled some feathers because another poster gets on here soon after and tries to pick out every Flaw of Chubb and some of the other Athens players. Now I want you to go to the Thread Top Juniors where the Juniors of Athens are listed in the most recent post on that thread the poster's response is "I 2nd the Maxfield kid". Now to me that doesn't seem like a TEAM player. I am for all these kids and have been watching them play for several years. And again at the end of the day I sincerely believe that Maxfield is POY in the TVC-Ohio.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Statistics don't lie, and when we look over the season stat sheet before every game, Chubb shows up on all of them across the board. Maybe not the leader, but near the top of every category. Point per game, FG%, rebounds, assists, leads the team in blocks, 3-pointers made, 3-point FG%, etc ...

Only downfall to Eli is he is just young and not too aggressive right now, which is fine because he is surrounded by a lot of quality basketball players. This Athens team doesn't need an alpha male, they are better off playing as a unit. I almost wish his dad would have started him in school later so he would be an older soph instead of a young junior. But oh well.

Is Chubb a candidate for POY? NO. And I don't think anyone said he should be. I just noted he is arguably Athens' best 'all around player' with high upside. Statistics prove the all around part, the upside statement is my own. One thing he definitely needs to work on is quickness in the off season, if he can do that and maybe get stronger as well, then he may be in the running for POY next season.

morehead state
Waterboy

Post by morehead state »

So who gets all TVC?

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

Sniper_Fan wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:57 pm Wow, 6 Pages!! The whole area of the state is buzzing about this weighty topic.

All of your analysis is well thought out and reasonably argued. After careful consideration, I think I am prepared to chime in with my opinion.

I have to agree with the parent of the Athens kid posting here - I think that YOUR kid is the one that REALLY deserves it. The other ones don't
Well heck, you’ve narrowed that down to 4 players.

Sniper_Fan
Waterboy

Post by Sniper_Fan »

thebarlowbandit wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:10 pm
Sniper_Fan wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:57 pm Wow, 6 Pages!! The whole area of the state is buzzing about this weighty topic.

Well heck, you’ve narrowed that down to 4 players.
These Athens player's parents and coaches and wives on here.... LMFAO.... Always great entertainment

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Well, I'm not a parent, coach and I surely hope I'm not a wife ... LOL ... but keeping people entertained is always fun no matter the circumstances.

At the end of the day, I'm glad people post, even if I don't agree with what they say. Better to have an (11-9) team that people seem excited about as opposed to a (4-16) team with no topics, posts or insight.

bburner
Freshman Team

Post by bburner »

93Bulldog wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:20 am Well, I'm not a parent, coach and I surely hope I'm not a wife ... LOL ... but keeping people entertained is always fun no matter the circumstances.

At the end of the day, I'm glad people post, even if I don't agree with what they say. Better to have an (11-9) team that people seem excited about as opposed to a (4-16) team with no topics, posts or insight.
No doubt... Who knew this thread would evolve like it has. For the longest time, only Speakman and Yates were mentioned, then a few more' followed by a top 10 list followed by Athens entire team ( lol ). Epic. Love it!

tomcat82
Freshman Team

Post by tomcat82 »

Hixson by far in the TVC Hocking

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

As I have stated before if it wasn't for Athens posters, then none of you all would have any entertainment on here. SEOPREPS would be BORING. Athens Bulldogs should get some Royalties off the Advertising money generated by this Site. That's all I got. Carry on now. :mrgreen:

therealNY
Freshman Team

Post by therealNY »

VisionQuest wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:27 am As I have stated before if it wasn't for Athens posters, then none of you all would have any entertainment on here. SEOPREPS would be BORING. Athens Bulldogs should get some Royalties off the Advertising money generated by this Site. That's all I got. Carry on now. :mrgreen:
Give some love to the NY supporters. Granted, they are a football score but they keep bball forums active too...

If you ain't first, you're last!
Allthewayup11
Freshman Team

Post by Allthewayup11 »

bburner wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:14 am
93Bulldog wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:20 am Well, I'm not a parent, coach and I surely hope I'm not a wife ... LOL ... but keeping people entertained is always fun no matter the circumstances.

No doubt... Who knew this thread would evolve like it has. For the longest time, only Speakman and Yates were mentioned, then a few more' followed by a top 10 list followed by Athens entire team ( lol ). Epic. Love it!
Well, as said previously, I go no skin in this game. My kid is 5 years graduated, so I have become just a spectator and can only observe what I see on the court as I can't go see all of the games. I have enjoyed the early season upsets, Wellston's run, Alexander's solid play, and then Vinton's run at the TVC Championship and now Athens run to post season. Obviously, Baer at Meigs is very talented as is the Wellston kid - Simpson and Hixson at Trimble have been fun to watch. I look for the difference makers when I sit and watch all these teams play. Speakman is well deserving if POY ends up going to a Vinton player the more I think about it. His game versus Chillicothe, solidified that moreso than any. Even in with Yates hitting his 1000 point this season. In regards to Athens, this has been the best the second half of the season I have seen since Burrow's departure, which serves as momentum into the post season where it has been most important. Most of the other TVC teams have been up/down. Athens' morphing from 1st half to second half of the season has been fun to watch. Thus my selection trying to pinpoint the change. So Vision, thus I was agreeing with you using my rationale with all the kids and mentionables above.

Ultimately, maybe the Vinton/Athens game should determine the POY. I 'm hopeful to this game to be sent to a last second finale as these teams have the capability to win. I am more than excited to see this go into OT and last man standing. How great would that be? I look for Butcher to possibly be the difference maker in that game as mentioned by Bulldog93. He and Hynes will ultimately be the key to Athens beating Vinton, and the fouls and Free throws. Athens wil have to maintain that suffocating defense. Anyone know what Athens FT percentage is versus Vinton?

I assure you there is no preference over any of the Vinton or Athens players or any other team. They are all competitive and some extremely talented kids. Players are players and observations are observations. My opinion obviously differs from others and I am open to everyone's input. I can only go by the games I have attended.

Return to “Boys Basketball”