Possible POY in TVC

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Re: Possible POY in TVC

Post by 93Bulldog »

Basketball is a different animal. I don't see many D1 players from around our area. Dante Jackson, Jake Kretzer come to mind. That's two in the last 16 years? Griffin Lutz, one of our better players last 20 years, is not even playing anywhere. Go up to the Schott and watch state tournament, it's there you realize we're just not on the same level on the hardwood.

therealNY
Freshman Team

Post by therealNY »

I still don't know how anyone can put Maxfield ahead of Chubb. After seeing them both play for a while, Chubb is def the better player and has MUCH more college potential.....plus he just turned 16, so a young junior, couple that with his all around court awareness, basketball knowledge, strength, etc. - the kid is impressive. If anything, co-mvp with Yate or Speakman.

If you ain't first, you're last!
Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

93Bulldog wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:33 am Basketball is a different animal. I don't see many D1 players from around our area. Dante Jackson, Jake Kretzer come to mind. That's two in the last 16 years? Griffin Lutz, one of our better players last 20 years, is not even playing anywhere. Go up to the Schott and watch state tournament, it's there you realize we're just not on the same level on the hardwood.
Good point . You can not get better by playing weak teams . Challenge your players and seek out better competition . Fairland ,Logan and FU are some that do that . There are others but not near enough . Playing weak teams will make you look good but playing quality teams will show that you need to work on your game .

bburner
Freshman Team

Post by bburner »

therealNY wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:37 am I still don't know how anyone can put Maxfield ahead of Chubb. After seeing them both play for a while, Chubb is def the better player and has MUCH more college potential.....plus he just turned 16, so a young junior, couple that with his all around court awareness, basketball knowledge, strength, etc. - the kid is impressive. If anything, co-mvp with Yate or Speakman.
Chubb doesn't have the #'s for POY consideration. Or 1st team all tvc for that matter. Maxfield for eg scored 20+ vs Alex the other night and was all over the court - I think Chub pitched w/ 6 ( not sure ). Chubb is a 3 pt shooter - Maxfield an all around player. That said - he is a very good player though.

bburner
Freshman Team

Post by bburner »

That said: Maxfield has had 6 good games at end of the year. His pts / game are not with Speakman and he's not a big rebounder. The award goes to Jake.

therealNY
Freshman Team

Post by therealNY »

bburner wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:39 am That said: Maxfield has had 6 good games at end of the year. His pts / game are not with Speakman and he's not a big rebounder. The award goes to Jake.
The award will go to Yates, that's not debatable. What is debatable is Maxfield over Chubb. Settle it the old way, have them go 1 on 1 :)

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Why is Speakman vs yates not debatable? It's very much so. How did each player perform against LEAGUE foes? That's what matters. How did each player impress other coaches in the TVC-ohio? Based on the two Athens games, I'm going with Speakman.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I may be way off but it seems like there are a lot of Dads of players mentioned on here....nothing wrong with that but some of these posts are head scratching.

therealNY
Freshman Team

Post by therealNY »

93Bulldog wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:14 am Why is Speakman vs yates not debatable? It's very much so. How did each player perform against LEAGUE foes? That's what matters. How did each player impress other coaches in the TVC-ohio? Based on the two Athens games, I'm going with Speakman.
Not debatable meaning Yates has it wrapped up. As I've stated before, I would pick Speakman over Yates...However no way Combs puts Speakman up before Yates.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

therealNY wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:47 am
93Bulldog wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:14 am Why is Speakman vs yates not debatable? It's very much so. How did each player perform against LEAGUE foes? That's what matters. How did each player impress other coaches in the TVC-ohio? Based on the two Athens games, I'm going with Speakman.
Not debatable meaning Yates has it wrapped up. As I've stated before, I would pick Speakman over Yates...However no way Combs puts Speakman up before Yates.
Doesn't matter who Combs votes for, another coach can vote for Speakman. Obviously the River Valley Coach or possibly NY is most likely not gonna put up/vote for a player from his team. They can vote for Speakman even Combs puts up Yates. It happens all the time.

Allthewayup11
Freshman Team

Post by Allthewayup11 »

therealNY wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:37 am I still don't know how anyone can put Maxfield ahead of Chubb. After seeing them both play for a while, Chubb is def the better player and has MUCH more college potential.....plus he just turned 16, so a young junior, couple that with his all around court awareness, basketball knowledge, strength, etc. - the kid is impressive. If anything, co-mvp with Yate or Speakman.
Chubb is a good, I don’t think anyone believes he is not. As far as court awareness it is hard to dispute that players like Maxfield, Speakman, Saltzman and Butcher seem to be more in line with court awareness. The radio said he had the first two turnovers of the game of I am not mistaken. As far as other factors, Chubb has a good shot and plenty of blocks I will admits, but if your comparing Chubb to the Maxfield kid, Maxfield’s quality shots, defense and of recent leadership, and just energizing his team and crowd shows his passion for the game. I think the crowd at this point is just seeing what he’s going to do next.

The radio commentators said he didn’t even come of the court the whole game. He was settling down players the second half and has shown consistency in scoring since this all started. The team has changed their dynamic as they were waiting for that one player to step up and lead with the departure of Lutz. The points, the charges, and defense and the others teams focus on him now should allow for the points to open up for players like Butcher and Hynes, and the Chubb kid.

Mix that with Saltzman’s resurgence at point guard. He has become a reliable and strong point guard the last 5 or so games which has only strengthen the team. He’s been a terrific role player since coming back.

Belittling the Maxfield kids skill set and ability to be a good to solid performer in almost every aspect in this second half. As far as his comparison to Chubb, looks like multiple posters on here see him as deserving. Maybe not at much as Speakman at this point but Yates potentially.

I heard Speakman had 15 and Yates 13 versus Wellston. Additionally Maxfield outscored Yates in the last outing versus Vinton, and if u compare his games this second half versus Meigs, Vinton, River Valley, Wellston and Alexander, point wise where does he stand in comparison to those two since Jan 1st since we are talking TVC. Anyone know? That would be an interesting stats with just TVC stats. Then you have to factor in his defense and his willingness to sacrifice his body? Is he worthy of being in the running? Do the other two make as much impact on Defense as they do on offense. I don’t think he will win but probably an honor for him to be considered.

Let’s be honest, if there are truly scouts coming to the TVC to see him according to what I have read, that opens the door for others to be seen and showcase their talents. Vinton County vs Athens would be the TVC premier showcase for that. Not to mention this will hopefully be a great battle between these two great programs. I look for Hynes and Butcher to have big games. Hoping Chubb will too.

PS it’s exciting to hear the radio announcers as well as the fans get excited for the team and his play. They were commenting on how unbelievable some of his layups were and no idea how two of them went in for the extra free throws not to mention yet again another charge! Lol

Allthewayup11
Freshman Team

Post by Allthewayup11 »

I would have to agree Speakman over Yates.

Trailblazer
Riding the Bench

Post by Trailblazer »

Seems like these post season awards mean more to the Parents and fans then the players.. Good luck to all the players as tournament time is here and im sure winning in the tournament is more important to them then any individual award.

Allthewayup11
Freshman Team

Post by Allthewayup11 »

Trailblazer wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:08 pm Seems like these post season awards mean more to the Parents and fans then the players.. Good luck to all the players as tournament time is here and im sure winning in the tournament is more important to them then any individual award.
Agreed. Miss my daughter playing!!!!

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

93Bulldog wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:56 am
Doesn't matter who Combs votes for, another coach can vote for Speakman. Obviously the River Valley Coach or possibly NY is most likely not gonna put up/vote for a player from his team. They can vote for Speakman even Combs puts up Yates. It happens all the time.
I don’t think this is accurate according how you explained it to me a while back.

Edit: back on page one I said Speakman and Yates could split votes and you said Combs could only put one up

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I was wrong I92 on original thoughts.

Got clarification later.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

93Bulldog wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:29 pm I was wrong I92 on original thoughts.

Got clarification later.
All good

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Honestly, I can see three coaches voting for Yates, three for Speakman, one voting for Maxfield.

Speakman & Yates co POY!

therealNY
Freshman Team

Post by therealNY »

93Bulldog wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:14 pm Honestly, I can see three coaches voting for Yates, three for Speakman, one voting for Maxfield.

Speakman & Yates co POY!
Sounds reasonable.

therealNY
Freshman Team

Post by therealNY »

Allthewayup11 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:02 pm
Chubb is a good, I don’t think anyone believes he is not. As far as court awareness it is hard to dispute that players like Maxfield, Speakman, Saltzman and Butcher seem to be more in line with court awareness. The radio said he had the first two turnovers of the game of I am not mistaken. As far as other factors, Chubb has a good shot and plenty of blocks I will admits, but if your comparing Chubb to the Maxfield kid, Maxfield’s quality shots, defense and of recent leadership, and just energizing his team and crowd shows his passion for the game. I think the crowd at this point is just seeing what he’s going to do next.

The radio commentators said he didn’t even come of the court the whole game. He was settling down players the second half and has shown consistency in scoring since this all started. The team has changed their dynamic as they were waiting for that one player to step up and lead with the departure of Lutz. The points, the charges, and defense and the others teams focus on him now should allow for the points to open up for players like Butcher and Hynes, and the Chubb kid.

Mix that with Saltzman’s resurgence at point guard. He has become a reliable and strong point guard the last 5 or so games which has only strengthen the team. He’s been a terrific role player since coming back.

Belittling the Maxfield kids skill set and ability to be a good to solid performer in almost every aspect in this second half. As far as his comparison to Chubb, looks like multiple posters on here see him as deserving. Maybe not at much as Speakman at this point but Yates potentially.

I heard Speakman had 15 and Yates 13 versus Wellston. Additionally Maxfield outscored Yates in the last outing versus Vinton, and if u compare his games this second half versus Meigs, Vinton, River Valley, Wellston and Alexander, point wise where does he stand in comparison to those two since Jan 1st since we are talking TVC. Anyone know? That would be an interesting stats with just TVC stats. Then you have to factor in his defense and his willingness to sacrifice his body? Is he worthy of being in the running? Do the other two make as much impact on Defense as they do on offense. I don’t think he will win but probably an honor for him to be considered.

Let’s be honest, if there are truly scouts coming to the TVC to see him according to what I have read, that opens the door for others to be seen and showcase their talents. Vinton County vs Athens would be the TVC premier showcase for that. Not to mention this will hopefully be a great battle between these two great programs. I look for Hynes and Butcher to have big games. Hoping Chubb will too.

PS it’s exciting to hear the radio announcers as well as the fans get excited for the team and his play. They were commenting on how unbelievable some of his layups were and no idea how two of them went in for the extra free throws not to mention yet again another charge! Lol
The radio announcers are atrocious ;)

Return to “Boys Basketball”