Possible POY in TVC

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Re: Possible POY in TVC

Post by 93Bulldog »

VisionQuest wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:31 pm
bburner wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:45 pm I need to see at least scoring rebounding & assist stats. I've seen Speakman vs NY but no Yates. I thought Bohyer for NY was best player that night with 23 rebounds and 33 pts despite Speakman's 42.
I think Hines from Athens deserves some consideration as well because of his dominance in the paint. It's not all about points.
I would like to know some stats on some of these players. I think for alot of us POY was decided prior to start of season.
Yes, there is so much more to this then PPG. If I am looking at a player I look at Rebounds, Shot blocking, defense, getting the rebounds and getting the ball out quick to get into transition, I like the player who has that Court Vision holding his head up while he dribbles and scanning the floor, I like that player who takes quality shots and makes the extra pass and rarely makes turnovers, I like the player who loves to play and is Unselfish, ultimately that player who is not interested in Numbers which is what we all are on here talking about.
You can do ALL those things AND be a scorer!

perfect example: last years CO-POY Tristan Bartoe

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

You can be a good all around player, but lets face it, POY awards at almost any level starts with a players ability to score.

Clyde Drexler was a great all around player, but never won an MVP. That was reserved for M.J., who averaged 30 ppg

It's been that way since they used peach baskets as hoops.

lol

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Ironman92 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:34 pm If Mattox finishes strong (wouldn’t surprise anyone) and help Meigs continue to gather wins like @Alexander AND Yates/Speakman take turns being VC’s top player.

The vote could definitely be interesting.
VC can only put up one of it's players. Yates/Speakman taking turns is irrelevant. It will be one or the other put up for voting against whoever else from the Ohio Division.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

bburner wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:45 pm I need to see at least scoring rebounding & assist stats. I've seen Speakman vs NY but no Yates. I thought Bohyer for NY was best player that night with 23 rebounds and 33 pts despite Speakman's 42.
I think Hines from Athens deserves some consideration as well because of his dominance in the paint. It's not all about points.
I would like to know some stats on some of these players. I think for alot of us POY was decided prior to start of season.
Yes, there is so much more to this then PPG. If I am looking at a player I look at Rebounds, Shot blocking, defense, getting the rebounds and getting the ball out quick to get into transition, I like the player who has that Court Vision holding his head up while he dribbles and scanning the floor, I like that player who takes quality shots and makes the extra pass and rarely makes turnovers, I like the player who loves to play and is Unselfish, ultimately that player who is not interested in Numbers which is what we all are on here talking about.
Sounds like you defining a point guard. The best PG in the league is always going to be 1st team all-TVC...but not always POY.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

93Bulldog wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:42 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:34 pm If Mattox finishes strong (wouldn’t surprise anyone) and help Meigs continue to gather wins like @Alexander AND Yates/Speakman take turns being VC’s top player.

The vote could definitely be interesting.
VC can only put up one of it's players. Yates/Speakman taking turns is irrelevant. It will be one or the other put up for voting against whoever else from the Ohio Division.
Thanks, did not know that

Is that rule in place to keep player from splitting votes per se?

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Not sure. That's just how its done.

A coach will put up one player from his/her team, then they all vote on it.

(In the TVC you can vote for your own player that you nominated)
(In district POY voting, you can not)

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

93Bulldog wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:46 pm Not sure. That's just how its done.

A coach will put up one player from his/her team, then they all vote on it.

(In the TVC you can vote for your own player that you nominated)
(In district POY voting, you can not)
Didn’t know if they ranked them in the meetings while selecting all-tvc

In this case Combs could have a tough decision....good thing for him his program isn’t about individual awards and both of those players have solid families.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

He had a similar problem last year. I mean, both Naylan and Tristen had great seasons.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

93Bulldog wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:19 pm He had a similar problem last year. I mean, both Naylan and Tristen had great seasons.
It is similar to how I think this year will play out...except they are both seniors this season.

itsme
Varsity

Post by itsme »

I think it should be what they did in the TVC instead of the entire season. Is this what they go by

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

itsme wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:38 pm I think it should be what they did in the TVC instead of the entire season. Is this what they go by
Kind of. If Yates has two great games vs Athens, the Athens coach may be inclined to go that route. If let's say Bohyer scores 30 against VC, maybe VC coach votes from if he's in the running. How you do vs TVC teams matters greatly.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

itsme wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:38 pm I think it should be what they did in the TVC instead of the entire season. Is this what they go by
Pretty much. What you do and how you perform vs other TVC teams matters greatly.

bburner
Freshman Team

Post by bburner »

Just a reminder. We are only halfway home

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

93Bulldog wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:29 pm One poster posted that Butcher and Williams are the two best players for Athens and should never leave the floor.

Another poster thinks Eli Chubb is the best player for his all around solid play.

Last two posters say Hines should be in the running for POY

How in the world is this team (3-8)? Hahaha
No player from Athens would get my vote at this point. Not with the record they have. If I see a player step up the rest of the way and become a spark plug and get this team going in the TVC-OHIO I would reconsider. Griffin Lutz was that player over ther last couple of seasons, this year I am still waiting on someone to be a Leader of this Team. Nobody is standing out in that regard as far as Athens goes at this Time. But as someone pointed out we aren't quite halfway into season yet.

Orestes'
Freshman Team

Post by Orestes' »

VisionQuest wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:44 pm
93Bulldog wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:29 pm One poster posted that Butcher and Williams are the two best players for Athens and should never leave the floor.

Another poster thinks Eli Chubb is the best player for his all around solid play.

No player from Athens would get my vote at this point. Not with the record they have. If I see a player step up the rest of the way and become a spark plug and get this team going in the TVC-OHIO I would reconsider. Griffin Lutz was that player over ther last couple of seasons, this year I am still waiting on someone to be a Leader of this Team. Nobody is standing out in that regard as far as Athens goes at this Time. But as someone pointed out we aren't quite halfway into season yet.
Now that looks like a motivational speech a coach would use on his players to get them fired up. :mrgreen:

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

Orestes' wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:47 pm
VisionQuest wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:44 pm

Now that looks like a motivational speech a coach would use on his players to get them fired up. :mrgreen:
I hope it works!!!

bburner
Freshman Team

Post by bburner »

These posts illustrate why we need stats. Opinions are all over the place. Most posters only see a few teams on a regular basis - I see Athens, NY, Trimble & Vinton twice. Stats are crucial to analyze consistency. Players have off games..... I've seen 3 or 4 individual amazing games. Athens seems to think they have a whole starting lineup full of candidates.......Show me pts/ rbs/ assists.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

bburner wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:46 pm
These posts illustrate why we need stats. Opinions are all over the place. Most posters only see a few teams on a regular basis - I see Athens, NY, Trimble & Vinton twice. Stats are crucial to analyze consistency. Players have off games..... I've seen 3 or 4 individual amazing games. Athens seems to think they have a whole starting lineup full of candidates.......Show me pts/ rbs/ assists.
Like I said in a previous post I don't think at this point any Athens player is deserving. If one was curious of Stats I would say 93Bulldog would have these. But it's a moot point at this Juncture in the season. Now if Athens can turn it around starting with VC tmrw night and win the TVC-OHIO somehow, then I would be interested to see the statistics of the players and make a case for a Certain player.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

bburner wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:47 pm Just a reminder. We are only halfway home
Yeah. Was Speakman but Yates will probably end up having big games to win it

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

The stat sheet is only good if it is accurate . Some( NOT ALL) schools pad stats to get a few players high honors . Some(NOT ALL) sports writers do the same to justify nominations for ALL District honors .A few very good players last year were left out for some reason or another. Stats can be taken off game films but then again must be done by an impartial qualified individual . Or you could have PFloyd do them for a fee because his is way more accurate than some you read . Maybe that is why they go on points . But then again points and stats do not tell the whole story but is the the head lines you read . Good teams the players will do what ever is needed to win . POY should be the the player that elevates his or hers team to the highest level possible. I still think its Yates if he gets back to where he was last year if not Speakman should be in the mix . Mattox from Meigs if they keep winning . I am confused to who is Athens BEST PLAYER IS . Before the season it was Cozart , then people were talking about a different player it seem like every game . POY will not come from Athens IMO. Player most likely from VC will be POY . Good luck to all the players and teams .

Return to “Boys Basketball”