Possible POY in TVC

coonhunter
Waterboy

Re: Possible POY in TVC

Post by coonhunter »

bburner wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:01 am
coonhunter wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:52 am This award is kaleb hills to lose.
Trimble's Hixon has to be considered in Hocking division. He is the leading scorer.
Pretty sure he's not bubba

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

After seeing VC I'm thinking it's Speakman award to lose. Scored 27 without making a single three. Handles the ball, can break down a defense better than anyone I've seen all year. Given Yates early injury and not playing a few league games - I'd say Combs puts Speakman up and it would hard to vote for anyone else.

Allthewayup11
Freshman Team

Post by Allthewayup11 »

Jake Speakman. Especially seeing him first hand now. Kid had quality steals, was solid at the free throw line, knows how to attack the lane and score as well as free up others on the edge drawing defenders in. Then, you can throw in all the points. Good solid player.

Sniper_Fan
Waterboy

Post by Sniper_Fan »

The way that the Speakman kid penetrated that tenacious Athens zone the other night - very impressive. Takes a special player to do that. Made me a believer

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

Sniper_Fan wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:02 pm The way that the Speakman kid penetrated that tenacious Athens zone the other night - very impressive. Takes a special player to do that. Made me a believer
Speakman has a quick move and if you do not put your best Defensive player on him he will go for 25 to 30. He will split a zone and get into the gaps . IMO Athens needs to get away from that ZONE . Maybe not all together but teach your team to play Man and close out and help out . Sounds like Speakman will get a lot of consideration for POY.

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

Let's be honest , this is between yates and Speakman . From what I saw in the game I saw ....it's yates

Copenhagen
Waterboy

Post by Copenhagen »

IMO, Yates and Speakman are finalists with Yates leading the way for me. The one thing keeping me from selecting Speakman is his not being able to stay under control sometimes. I decided to go across town Tuesday to catch that game and watched him get caught with three charges. There is nothing wrong with shooting a a shot from the block.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Copenhagen wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:00 am IMO, Yates and Speakman are finalists with Yates leading the way for me. The one thing keeping me from selecting Speakman is his not being able to stay under control sometimes. I decided to go across town Tuesday to catch that game and watched him get caught with three charges. There is nothing wrong with shooting a a shot from the block.
The three charges could be a direct result from constantly attacking with the basketball in his hand. The kid makes a lot happen on the court. Rarely do you see 27 point performances without a single three. He WAS the difference in the game vs Athens. 27 pts, 5 rebounds, 13-of-14 from the charity stripe, dominated the ball when Athens tried to pressure, broke down the Athens zone - and when he did - he either scored or dished out to shooters for treys ... Yates, a very good player, but seemed to settle for just being a spot up shooter. 17 points in the game (four 3's), just 2-of-3 from the free throw line.

Both good players, and I know its only a small sample size (1 game) - but I'd vote for Speakman in a heartbeat and its not even really that close, IMO.
Now, if Yates were to become more active in the paint and do more than just sit behind the arc and fire three's - then it would become very interesting because he is such a great athlete and skilled basketball player.

Dandy Don
All Conference

Post by Dandy Don »

Its Speakman now imo, but lot if ball left. Yates is yet to peak after a slow start. He will get more active as we wind up league play and it will be between these two. It is a toss-up or pick-em when it gets down to it.

HoopsHotHead
Varsity

Post by HoopsHotHead »

Anyone know if Speakman does anything besides score?......He should be the front runner at the halfway point.....

bburner
Freshman Team

Post by bburner »

HoopsHotHead wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:23 am Anyone know if Speakman does anything besides score?......He should be the front runner at the halfway point.....
Yes. He is an athlete. Very fast, as there is no substitute for speed. He is a leaper as well so he can finish at the basket and rebound. He is a fierce competitor and does not shy away from contact. The game I saw vs NY all was on display as he scored 42. Complete player.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Poo Bear wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:57 pm Let's be honest , this is between yates and Speakman . From what I saw in the game I saw ....it's yates
Speakman is the better basketball player. The whole team runs through him. Yates for some reason just shoots three’s. Combs needs to put him under the basketball

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

Raider6309 wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:03 pm
Poo Bear wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:57 pm Let's be honest , this is between yates and Speakman . From what I saw in the game I saw ....it's yates
Speakman is the better basketball player. The whole team runs through him. Yates for some reason just shoots three’s. Combs needs to put him under the basketball
Disagree . Like I said I only have a 1 game sample but during the Jackson Game Speakman was held in check and it was obvious that Jackson was as athletic as VC and was probably on its way to a huge road win at VC . Yates stepped up and took the game over with 3s , fierce drives to the basket and the refused to allow his team to lose on that particular night .

i83
Freshman Team

Post by i83 »

Raider you want to Yates under basket when you have two players that are 6 8and 6 6 and kid can shoot the 3 I will trust combs

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I’ll let Combs decide. Just seeing one game Yates is tougher matchup and better player.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Ironman92 wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:20 pm I’ll let Combs decide. Just seeing one game Yates is tougher matchup and better player.
The player you nominate does not necessarily have to be from your own team. Combs can put up Yates, but if another coach really likes Speakman - he can nominate him. I mean, most generally coaches will go along with what the coach does (in this case Combs), but it's not a rule that you have to nominate a player from your own team.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

93Bulldog wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:52 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:20 pm I’ll let Combs decide. Just seeing one game Yates is tougher matchup and better player.
The player you nominate does not necessarily have to be from your own team. Combs can put up Yates, but if another coach really likes Speakman - he can nominate him. I mean, most generally coaches will go along with what the coach does (in this case Combs), but it's not a rule that you have to nominate a player from your own team.
C’mon man

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

hahahahaha its my whole goal in life to confuse you I92.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

93Bulldog wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:51 pm hahahahaha its my whole goal in life to confuse you I92.
You are drunj or something though. I’m sure Combs will probably nominate a non-VC kid for POY....seems likely

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Ironman92 wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:04 pm
93Bulldog wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:51 pm hahahahaha its my whole goal in life to confuse you I92.
You are drunj or something though. I’m sure Combs will probably nominate a non-VC kid for POY....seems likely
I highly doubt that. He will put up the kid who is most deserving - or the best player ... And this year it just so happens they both play for Vinton.

Return to “Boys Basketball”