Athens @ Wellston 1/5

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Re: Athens @ Wellston 1/5

Post by Truth&fiction »

93Bulldog wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:09 pm
Truth&fiction wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:40 amKids devote their time and energy to participate and pressure is sometime ( most of the time) to excel . Sometimes frustration sets in and emotions take over.
Perfect reflection of today's society. An excuse for a kid to act a certain way.

I'm not buying it. Frustration had nothing to do with the Athens player that stepped on (kicked) the Meigs kid when he was down. (football). In today's world everything is on youtube or huddle - so it wasn't just people at the game who witnessed it. I can understand a personal foul or unsportsmanlike conduct every once in awhile - but we had 2, 3 and even 4 a game sometimes this fall. By far the most penalized team I have seen in a long time. And now, just a few months later, TWO huge technical fouls in crucial league games that, imo, is the difference in being (5-0) in the Ohio instead of (3-2).

Had an old timer this morning say to me 'in all the years coach McAfee roamed the sideline, I don't think one single player ever threw or slammed a ball to get a technical. Nor did they ever mouth off to an official and they didn't give them dirty looks after every foul that was called.'

You know, once upon a time, players raised their hand when a foul was called on them. Now, they throw temper tantrums or give refs dirty looks. And its not just Athens in this regard, its widespread.
Sorry Dog was not trying to make an excuse . I was generally speaking . I'm not close to the program so i do not know what the issues with the Football or Basketball program are . The ones closes are the ones that needs to deal with a pattern. I f you do not have the parents approval it will be an up hill job . I remember Coach McAfee and he was a very good coach . Not sure how he would handle issues but whatever it would be final.

morehead state
Waterboy

Post by morehead state »

Wellston missed five shots. If they made all those from 3 point land that is 30 points. Then the game goes into overtime and someone scores and the fans storm the court and two players get D 1 scholarships and then they both make the pros...Oh yesssss

morehead state
Waterboy

Post by morehead state »

LOL

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

Raider6309 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:48 pm They lost because Athens missed 10 straight layups in transition after stealing the ball from Wellston. Make those layups and Athens is up 30 at half. That second quarter was weird. Wellston played stall ball. Athens stole it pretty easy every time but missed transition. I bet time of possession that quarter was 7 minutes for Wellston and 1 for Athens.

Williams and Butcher are Athens two best players. They should never come off the court
Curious the rationale you use for "Athens Best Players". Are you looking at the total package and actual statistics like Rebounds, PPG, Blocked Shots, 3 point percentage and Defense, players who are also playmakers and rarely turn the ball over? Or are these just players You like? Cause if so I challenge you to look at consistency and all the statistics. I take in a lot of basketball and watch each player very closely. Not taking anything away from these 2 as they are dynamic players but when you throw these statements out I hope you research it a little.

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

VisionQuest wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:06 pm
Raider6309 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:48 pm They lost because Athens missed 10 straight layups in transition after stealing the ball from Wellston. Make those layups and Athens is up 30 at half. That second quarter was weird. Wellston played stall ball. Athens stole it pretty easy every time but missed transition. I bet time of possession that quarter was 7 minutes for Wellston and 1 for Athens.

Williams and Butcher are Athens two best players. They should never come off the court
Curious the rationale you use for "Athens Best Players". Are you looking at the total package and actual statistics like Rebounds, PPG, Blocked Shots, 3 point percentage and Defense, players who are also playmakers and rarely turn the ball over? Or are these just players You like? Cause if so I challenge you to look at consistency and all the statistics. I take in a lot of basketball and watch each player very closely. Not taking anything away from these 2 as they are dynamic players but when you throw these statements out I hope you research it a little.
It's all about PPG . seriously I ' ve seen the leading PPG Player dog it on defense so bad I would bench him . No D no Play. BUT points counts on the score board . I like the more rounded player. People gets caught up with their opinion of best player. Last I saw each team puts 5 players on the court.

SportsRule
Freshman Team

Post by SportsRule »

Let it go. Beat this dead horse beyond death.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

93Bulldog wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:09 pm
Truth&fiction wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:40 amKids devote their time and energy to participate and pressure is sometime ( most of the time) to excel . Sometimes frustration sets in and emotions take over.
Perfect reflection of today's society. An excuse for a kid to act a certain way.

I'm not buying it. Frustration had nothing to do with the Athens player that stepped on (kicked) the Meigs kid when he was down. (football). In today's world everything is on youtube or huddle - so it wasn't just people at the game who witnessed it. I can understand a personal foul or unsportsmanlike conduct every once in awhile - but we had 2, 3 and even 4 a game sometimes this fall. By far the most penalized team I have seen in a long time. And now, just a few months later, TWO huge technical fouls in crucial league games that, imo, is the difference in being (5-0) in the Ohio instead of (3-2).

Had an old timer this morning say to me 'in all the years coach McAfee roamed the sideline, I don't think one single player ever threw or slammed a ball to get a technical. Nor did they ever mouth off to an official and they didn't give them dirty looks after every foul that was called.'

You know, once upon a time, players raised their hand when a foul was called on them. Now, they throw temper tantrums or give refs dirty looks. And its not just Athens in this regard, its widespread.
My question would be, what were the coach induced penalties after said Personal fouls, UNS fouls, or Technical Fouls. This will go a long way towards finding the problem.

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

Sounds like you excluded VisionQuest’s son from your list of important players and he’s Butthurt :-( the passive aggressive, support from him is strong, must be a Jedi Father.

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

Truth&fiction wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:38 pm

It's all about PPG . seriously I ' ve seen the leading PPG Player dog it on defense so bad I would bench him . No D no Play. BUT points counts on the score board . I like the more rounded player. People gets caught up with their opinion of best player. Last I saw each team puts 5 players on the court.
darn, you’ve got this figured out, you should probably become the next coach at Oak Hill, replace the legend Norm when he retires, or maybe our Board at Warren will get rid of Coach and bring you and your leadership in.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

thebarlowbandit wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:07 pm

Sounds like you excluded VisionQuest’s son from your list of important players and he’s Butthurt :-( the passive aggressive, support from him is strong, must be a Jedi Father.
LOL Yea that's it. Or maybe I just like to look at actual statistics and think there is a lot more to this then PPG.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Who all has access to the actual statistics?

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

Ironman92 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:33 pm Who all has access to the actual statistics?
Jedi Fathers. We can see them in our Mind because we are One With The Force. :lol:

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I've got unofficial stats.

But who really cares. The day you start talking about 'best' player or arguing who it is ... Is the day you no longer have a 'team!'

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

Honestly though anyone with a piece of paper and a pencil can keep Stats. And I will agree with Bulldog on the fact that it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. I just like to question people on their statements because I am a numbers guy and the Statistics don't lie. I also like the Eye test-because there are so many players who don't get their Due but it's because they may not be flashy and they don't try to put up crazy shots to make themselves look good, I mean you can take 30 shots a game and make 10 and you are a Hero on the Hardwood anymore, so many look past a players defense, blocked shots, rebounds, assists and steals, it's all about PPG. It's not fair to the players out there working day in and day out, not for glamour or fame but to put their team in the best position to win. I honestly think it takes away from the team concept when you say this player or these players are the "Best Players" I just asked an honest question of Raider that's all because I like to see how people think.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

VisionQuest wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:51 pm Honestly though anyone with a piece of paper and a pencil can keep Stats. And I will agree with Bulldog on the fact that it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. I just like to question people on their statements because I am a numbers guy and the Statistics don't lie. I also like the Eye test-because there are so many players who don't get their Due but it's because they may not be flashy and they don't try to put up crazy shots to make themselves look good, I mean you can take 30 shots a game and make 10 and you are a Hero on the Hardwood anymore, so many look past a players defense, blocked shots, rebounds, assists and steals, it's all about PPG. It's not fair to the players out there working day in and day out, not for glamour or fame but to put their team in the best position to win. I honestly think it takes away from the team concept when you say this player or these players are the "Best Players" I just asked an honest question of Raider that's all because I like to see how people think.
Me and another coach spent a lot of time during practice and games harping on defense, ball movement, the extra pass etc and getting after kids for keeping track of points. Did this in 4th and 5th grade. It’s still there some but kids are all about the points typically...until otherwise made aware of why isn’t not a great thing to be worried about.

Orestes'
Freshman Team

Post by Orestes' »

thebarlowbandit wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:07 pm

Daddy ball, alive and well. :lol:

Sniper_Fan
Waterboy

Post by Sniper_Fan »

For the Athens parents (notice I didn't say parents AND coaches because I am sure no coach or their family is on this site hiding behind some name), I wanted to share this that I found on the internet:

https://mickeycozart.wordpress.com/2014/11/

The author gives realy good advice about how parents should deal with things like not having your kid be the best player on the team, not pressuring your kid, focusing on fundamentals and team first, not being concerned with paying time, etc.

It's great advice. Bottom line, don't focus on your own kid. It's all about the team.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

Sniper_Fan wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:48 pm For the Athens parents (notice I didn't say parents AND coaches because I am sure no coach or their family is on this site hiding behind some name), I wanted to share this that I found on the internet:

The author gives realy good advice about how parents should deal with things like not having your kid be the best player on the team, not pressuring your kid, focusing on fundamentals and team first, not being concerned with paying time, etc.

It's great advice. Bottom line, don't focus on your own kid. It's all about the team.
Is this another one of those "sarcastic" posts? Because as some of us have seen by previous posts you have questioned the Athens program and accused the head coaches of both the baseball and basketball teams of a "pay to play scheme" and disparaged these coaches on this Forum.

Sniper_Fan
Waterboy

Post by Sniper_Fan »

VisionQuest wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:22 pm
Sniper_Fan wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:48 pm For the Athens parents (notice I didn't say parents AND coaches because I am sure no coach or their family is on this site hiding behind some name), I wanted to share this that I found on the internet:

Is this another one of those "sarcastic" posts? Because as some of us have seen by previous posts you have questioned the Athens program and accused the head coaches of both the baseball and basketball teams of a "pay to play scheme" and disparaged these coaches on this Forum.
Vision Quest - Absolutley not, I just found great wisdom in the article and thought that some of the people on here who are concerned about the way the season is going could learn from these calming words in difficult times. Some on here are too worried about the lack of recognition that certain players receive, and should instead always focus on the fundamentals and Team First! I think everyone, including you, can gain better perspective after reading and reflecting on the article

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

Sniper_Fan wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:57 pm
VisionQuest wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:22 pm

Vision Quest - Absolutley not, I just found great wisdom in the article and thought that some of the people on here who are concerned about the way the season is going could learn from these calming words in difficult times. Some on here are too worried about the lack of recognition that certain players receive, and should instead always focus on the fundamentals and Team First! I think everyone, including you, can gain better perspective after reading and reflecting on the article
Well it sounds like you have had a total change of heart about this Coach. Kudos to you for recognizing his knowledge and noticing the past Err of your ways. We all
Make mistakes and glad to have you on Board with the Program.

Return to “Boys Basketball”