VC @ Athens 1/9

Post by VisionQuest »

Thoughts???

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: VC @ Athens 1/9

Post by Ironman92 »

VC by 18

If Yates and Speakman have significant foul trouble then the upset could come into play

Scotty Hobart
Riding the Bench

Post by Scotty Hobart »

If the discipline problems and daddy ball continue it will be VC in a route. If not, VC will win but it could be close. Will Hines play?

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

Scotty Hobart wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:26 pm If the discipline problems and daddy ball continue it will be VC in a route. If not, VC will win but it could be close. Will Hines play?
Not sure what you mean by "daddy ball" but as far as Hynes goes I think it will be a "game time decision"

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Daddy ball to me is like when me and another Dad coached our kids teams that traveled from 3rd-6th grade...maybe trying to be a good coach but maybe more AAU style than actually learning and developing the finer parts of basketball.....then find a way to help out or assist in jr high and then evenytually make it to be the varsity coach and still doing the AAU type thing as a coach and mostly just looking out for my own kid.

On occasion daddy ball can work if daddy knows the integral parts of coaching AND is also varsity level with his knowledge....but also can often weaken the program at different levels.

I know a daddy ball coach in one sport made it to the Final 4. It seems more successful in the girls sports for whatever reason.

Scotty Hobart
Riding the Bench

Post by Scotty Hobart »

Ironman92 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:45 pm Daddy ball to me is like when me and another Dad coached our kids teams that traveled from 3rd-6th grade...maybe trying to be a good coach but maybe more AAU style than actually learning and developing the finer parts of basketball.....then find a way to help out or assist in jr high and then evenytually make it to be the varsity coach and still doing the AAU type thing as a coach and mostly just looking out for my own kid.

On occasion daddy ball can work if daddy knows the integral parts of coaching AND is also varsity level with his knowledge....but also can often weaken the program at different levels.

I know a daddy ball coach in one sport made it to the Final 4. It seems more successful in the girls sports for whatever reason.
BINGO! Dad needs to coach his son/daughter just as he does any other player. A few I've seen in the area can't grasp that. Son stays in and plays no matter what he does wrong. I have seen the reverse also, where if son does anything wrong dad flips out on him. But the former seems much more prevalent than the latter. More and more dads are coaching at the high school level in the local area with little or no high school coaching experience and it really could become an issue if it hasn't already. AAU is partly to blame, as you pointed out.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

Ok well now that we have daddy ball cleared up can we get back to actual thoughts on the game now.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

That didn’t take long to turn into a train wreck. The biggest question is Hines

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

I would like to know What Defense has VC been using most this year? And if Nevan Yates is fully healthy?

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

VisionQuest wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:00 pm I would like to know What Defense has VC been using most this year? And if Nevan Yates is fully healthy?
They use the defense they need to use. They’ll do their thing and if they need to adjust they will. They did against Jackson.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

Ironman92 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:03 pm
VisionQuest wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:00 pm I would like to know What Defense has VC been using most this year? And if Nevan Yates is fully healthy?
They use the defense they need to use. They’ll do their thing and if they need to adjust they will. They did against Jackson.
How did Nevan Yates look? Was he able to make any impact in the game against Jackson?

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

Possibility this game could be cancelled if school isn't in session. Even though temps would be high and roads clear by game time.

Ski83
Riding the Bench

Post by Ski83 »

The only Viking not healthy right now is Eli Griffith. I would say several more weeks on him. Naylan had 23 against Jackson and looks back to 100%. Nevan looks good and getting his shooting touch. Always plays good defense and the team is starting to play VC defense that we know of. Haven't seen Athens this year, but after losing Lutz. I thought they were still going to be contenders this year. Looking forward to heading to Athens to watch this game.
Last edited by Ski83 on Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

VisionQuest wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:14 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:03 pm
How did Nevan Yates look? Was he able to make any impact in the game against Jackson?
As a spectator and not a great x’s and o’s basketball guy....I honestly didn’t notice him much. I was watching the Spohn/Naylan Yates matchup very closely and also watching Jackson in man keep Speakman out of the lane. I know this....if he wasn’t playing solid defense and doing his role offensively that Coach Combs would not have had him out there. VC played a pretty solid game and played their best defense when it mattered the most.

I will say Speakman looked ridiculously quick (even though we did a good job on him), and Naylan Yates looked unstoppable when he needed to get VC a bucket. I watched Carson Spohn shut down Mattox when it really mattered....but with the help of Coach Combs, he couldn’t stop Yates. Their center played with more of a chip on his shoulder than I had seen and had a nice game and had several good plays defensively as well.

Their defense is better than their offense IMO...and their offense is good

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

VisionQuest wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:00 pm Possibility this game could be cancelled if school isn't in session. Even though temps would be high and roads clear by game time.
Most schools most likely on 2 hr delay for precaution . At present time temp 36. Should not be too much of an issue .

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

Thanks for the Rundowns I think Alex has already cancelled for tomorrow. With VC having such a big area in the district I was wondering.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

If Hynes is back I know I would like to see Athens implement that Press they used against Wellston that worked so well in the 1st Quarter, seems like they had a new twist on the Press they used earlier in the season. Why they went away from that after having their best quarter all year I will never know, it had Wellston on their heels and Athens jumped out 20-9. I don't think they have anything to lose starting out with this against VC. See how it works and adjust from there. I also like the Athens Zone but more so when they do aggressive traps on the guards. That type of Zone worked well I thought toward the end of the game against Wellston but it was too little too late when they implemented it.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I wouldn’t press VC.

Zone could work if done very well

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Athens city schools closed tomorrow.

Should be fine for game though. 40 degrees

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

I think I might take this one in tomorrow night.
I hope Hines is healthy. I like watching that young man play.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!

Return to “Boys Basketball”