Does Your School Have A Basketball History Website?

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Does Your School Have A Basketball History Website?

Post by trojandave »

Just recently, www.trojanhoops.org., the website detailing the history of Portsmouth Trojans basketball, reached 80,000 hits. The website was started in 2011 by Coach Eugene Collins as an effort to preserve the rich history of PHS basketball. I am responsible for compiling the historical information contained in the website, and right now there are 80 topics covering about everything concerning our boys basketball program. Compiling records, stats, and other data is a very time consuming task and requires much diligence. Keeping everything updated is extremely important, because there are a lot of former players, coaches, alumni, and other parties who take a great interest in the history of the Trojans.

www.trojanhoops.org., is not associated with the Portsmouth City Schools and is independently maintained.

What other other schools have websites detailing their basketball history? Two that I know of are Zane Trace and Canton McKinley, and both are really good ones. If you know of any, please list them.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Re: Does Your School Have A Basketball History Website?

Post by pfloyd »

Great job trojandave - Wow!

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Nelsonville-York now has a website, but a lot of Nelsonville-Yorks history is still to be added.
Our Athletic Director started it several months ago. As of now it just keeps people up to date on what's going on in Athletics.
I believe all of our football records are up but nothing else.

http://nyathletics.org

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Yes. Look at my signature attached to this post.

Started about 5 years ago between classes in college. Now it is updated either the night of the latest game or the next day at the latest.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Trojandave -

I’m putting together Logans history (following my football efforts) and hope to get it online somewhere. I’m doing boys and girls.

I have used TrojanHoops for some of the info I’m compiling. Great work!

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

Awesome LL!! thanks!

AT THE RESERVATION
trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

danicalifornia: I checked out your site and it is really good!! I wish I had all the individual stats (rebounds, assists, etc.) that you have included, unfortunately, those records were never archived previously by PHS. I do have some individual scoring statistics (30 pt.games, 20 PPG for a season, top scorers in the state tournament, etc.). It took a lot of work just to get those stats included on the site......a lot of microfiche, game programs, yearbooks, and things that I have kept personally. One of the topics that is really important to me is how Portsmouth HS basketball compares to every other program that ever made the state tournament. I didn't realize the scope of how high the Trojans' standing is in the state of Ohio until I researched it. It is a source of pride to know that Portsmouth HS is a top 5 program all time in several state tournament categories, and that is compared to 800 high schools in Ohio. Another important objective that I wanted to accomplish was to include some narrative info, and not just stats and numbers.

Orange and Brown: I looked at the NY site and it is really well done!!

logan locos: I hope our site helps you in developing Logan's history. I know you have done a great job researching Chieftain football.

Pfloyd: Thanks for the support!!

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

trojandave wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:09 pm danicalifornia: I checked out your site and it is really good!! I wish I had all the individual stats (rebounds, assists, etc.) that you have included, unfortunately, those records were never archived previously by PHS. I do have some individual scoring statistics (30 pt.games, 20 PPG for a season, top scorers in the state tournament, etc.). It took a lot of work just to get those stats included on the site......a lot of microfiche, game programs, yearbooks, and things that I have kept personally. One of the topics that is really important to me is how Portsmouth HS basketball compares to every other program that ever made the state tournament. I didn't realize the scope of how high the Trojans' standing is in the state of Ohio until I researched it. It is a source of pride to know that Portsmouth HS is a top 5 program all time in several state tournament categories, and that is compared to 800 high schools in Ohio. Another important objective that I wanted to accomplish was to include some narrative info, and not just stats and numbers.

Orange and Brown: I looked at the NY site and it is really well done!!

logan locos: I hope our site helps you in developing Logan's history. I know you have done a great job researching Chieftain football.

Pfloyd: Thanks for the support!!
Thank you! I was lucky with a good bit of my information, because our game programs used to be so well kept. The person who had the information was/is a person who is on our hall of fame committee and has the same passion for all of it as I do, just never considered making a website of their own. I also got some help from the operator of the Zane Trace historical site on a couple of the girls stats. In the next few weeks, I'll be heading to our library to go through some microfilm on major seasons for Unioto.

You do an awesome job with your site and I love reading up on the Trojans!

Phoenix31
JV Team

Post by Phoenix31 »

Great job, as always, on the website, trojandave!!!!!

I am glad that Coach Collins and you got together to create it.

:mrgreen:

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

loganlocos wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:54 pm Trojandave -

I’m putting together Logans history (following my football efforts) and hope to get it online somewhere. I’m doing boys and girls.

I have used TrojanHoops for some of the info I’m compiling. Great work!
I'd love to see that once it is compiled.

I believe someone started one at one time, but it has been updated in quite some time.

Return to “Boys Basketball”