Meigs Marauders Midway Breakdown.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Re: Meigs Marauders Midway Breakdown.

Post by Orange and Brown »

Steegal wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:10 am
Orange and Brown wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:32 pm
VisionQuest wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:36 pm I think NY is in the same boat.
Not the case at all. We wholeheartedly support our basketball team and hope for nothing but success from them. Besides our wrestling program is one of the best in the state, and our track and field teams are very solid as well. We want our kids to play multiple sports.
Heck, quite frankly with our size we need our kids to play multiple sports.
The kids who don't okay a winter sport are busting their butts in the weight room, and the kids who are playing winter and spring sports will hit it hard when their seasons are done. Football comes when football comes. Until then our kids should be working hard to better themselves in the other sports they play.
Having some contacts at Nelsonville I'm not buying any of that. They are a football school, period. When's the last time they won any kind of a championship in boys basketball? So Nelsonville is a football first school. Baseball, while a fine sport in itself, is not a major sport at the high school level, nor is wrestling or track. Let's face it, most schools are either known for their success in football or basketball, or the lack there of.
Show up to a track meet and see how many people are there.
Same with wrestling.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
itsme
Varsity

Post by itsme »

Ironman92 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:35 pm Was Marshall University D1 when Bartrum was playing for the Patriots and Eagles in the Super Bowl? I think they were when he was in the Pro Bowl.
they went D1 in 1997

itsme
Varsity

Post by itsme »

hateraid wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:26 am
tvc_fan wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:54 am
MarauderMadness wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:45 am

I will do you at least one better...

Bob Ashley - Utah
Mike Chancey - the Ohio State University
Mike Bartram - Marshall
Justin Roush - Ohio U
I can't think of the linemen from the late 70s that went to Arizona state

Chris Judge kicked at OU but not sure if he was on scholarship.

No other sport at Meigs can make these claims. Football First!
4 people in 50 years, How many playoff wins while with Meigs? State titles, Regional Champs, District Champs???

Now look up how many for Meigs Baseball.
Was Marshall A D1 school when Bartram went there??
no they became D1 in 1997

tvc_fan
Varsity

Post by tvc_fan »

Just because a few players in a couple of years went and played college football, doesn't mean we are a football school.

Wins and losses does.

MarauderMadness
JV Team

Post by MarauderMadness »

Well then we sure ain't a basketball school. We change coaches every year because we always have a board member or two who thinks their kid is headed to the nba. It's a tradition at meigs.

Baseball puffs it's c b est up but they build a fat record playing a soft schedule.

Binary
JV Team

Post by Binary »

Orange and Brown wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:26 pm
Orange and Brown wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:32 pm
Not the case at all. We wholeheartedly support our basketball team and hope for nothing but success from them. Besides our wrestling program is one of the best in the state, and our track and field teams are very solid as well. We want our kids to play multiple sports.
Heck, quite frankly with our size we need our kids to play multiple sports.
The kids who don't okay a winter sport are busting their butts in the weight room, and the kids who are playing winter and spring sports will hit it hard when their seasons are done. Football comes when football comes. Until then our kids should be working hard to better themselves in the other sports they play.
Having some contacts at Nelsonville I'm not buying any of that. They are a football school, period. When's the last time they won any kind of a championship in boys basketball? So Nelsonville is a football first school. Baseball, while a fine sport in itself, is not a major sport at the high school level, nor is wrestling or track. Let's face it, most schools are either known for their success in football or basketball, or the lack there of.
Same with wrestling.
I attended a tri match recently and there were about 50 people there. Not even their multi team tourny brings as many as a football game. The Rocky Inivite doesn't either, and how many teams are there? Put that many football teams in the stadium and you'd have to play at Peden to hold the crowd. Heck I've seen track meets where there are more athletes than fans. So no way track and/or wrestling rival football.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

The only wrestling that rivals (and passes) football is the State Championships. Nothing else comes remotely close, but the SC's are special for sure.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Binary wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:26 pm

Same with wrestling.
I attended a tri match recently and there were about 50 people there. Not even their multi team tourny brings as many as a football game. The Rocky Inivite doesn't either, and how many teams are there? Put that many football teams in the stadium and you'd have to play at Peden to hold the crowd. Heck I've seen track meets where there are more athletes than fans. So no way track and/or wrestling rival football.
We make a small mint off the Rocky, we also made a pretty good gate off the Steve Yinger memorial tournament this year.
Almost every school outdraws in football.
Our administration, coaches, and fans take a lot of pride in our wrestling and track programs.
I know how much money we bring in for different sports. Our track program is a huge reason for our success in football and our fan base supports it pretty well.
You can argue with me all day but I know the gates for these events so I know what people are showing up for.

BUCKEYE PRIDE!
tvc_fan
Varsity

Post by tvc_fan »

MarauderMadness wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:12 pm Well then we sure ain't a basketball school. We change coaches every year because we always have a board member or two who thinks their kid is headed to the nba. It's a tradition at meigs.

Baseball puffs it's c b est up but they build a fat record playing a soft schedule.
A true Marauder supports and compliment all Athletic Programs of Meigs.

tvc_fan
Varsity

Post by tvc_fan »

And if you don't wanna support other programs, why even check out the topics in basketball section, start a topic of Meigs being a football school in the Football section, not BASKETBALL!!!

therealNY
Freshman Team

Post by therealNY »

Orange and Brown wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:45 pm
Same with wrestling.
We make a small mint off the Rocky, we also made a pretty good gate off the Steve Yinger memorial tournament this year.
Our administration, coaches, and fans take a lot of pride in our wrestling and track programs.
I know how much money we bring in for different sports. Our track program is a huge reason for our success in football and our fan base supports it pretty well.
You can argue with me all day but I know the gates for these events so I know what people are showing up for.
???? Track program is a huge reason for our success in football? Go back and look, not that many football players competed track. Only last few years - and that’s not many of them.

If you ain't first, you're last!
therealNY
Freshman Team

Post by therealNY »

I’ll agree that wrestling is strong. Not sure that will be the same when Yinger leaves.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

therealNY wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:11 pm
Orange and Brown wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:45 pm

???? Track program is a huge reason for our success in football? Go back and look, not that many football players competed track. Only last few years - and that’s not many of them.
Okay, I'll clarify....
Since our Track program started to get better and better so did our speed on the football field.
I wasn't referring to historically.
Track and field has recently started to get better over the last decade. That speed has transferred to the field.

BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

All of our skill position players run track.

BUCKEYE PRIDE!
therealNY
Freshman Team

Post by therealNY »

No they do not all run track. ESP with this years team - there are many that don’t do track. Your tailback, linebackers and safety are just a few. None of them. No need to continue this lol.

therealNY
Freshman Team

Post by therealNY »

But I will agree track has gotten better with Watkins. Definitely.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

therealNY wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:44 pm No they do not all run track. ESP with this years team - there are many that don’t do track. Your tailback, linebackers and safety are just a few. None of them. No need to continue this lol.
Keegan runs track. He would be doing indoor but his foot isn't at 100%
Colt is a wrestler. He wrestles almost year round. When would he have time to run track lol
Maiden is a baseball player.

BUCKEYE PRIDE!
VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

I stand by my Statement. NY known for FOOTBALL. Brings in most money and most fans. School revolves around the Football team. State Championship will do that.

headknocker
Waterboy

Post by headknocker »

[quote=MarauderMadness post_id=1630733 time=1516046706 user_id=440]
No one takes me serious when I say this but it is the truth. Meigs is football first. It’s nuce that these boys are getting some running in during the offseason but no one living in pomeroy really cares until august rolls around. The sooner this is over the sooner they can get back in the weight room!
[/quote]

Meigs is a football school. Period. Just look at Meigs Local’s website with a pictures of the stadium and the celebration of 50 years of Meigs Football. It has a big article in the newspaper and the 1967 team was recognized. It is also the 50th year of Meigs basketball. Was there any recognition or press? No. But, just because you are a football school it does not mean you are necessarily any good at football. The last two coaches have been mediocre at best. Kids get scholarships to small schools and usually drop out and do not end up playing in college. Fact: Meigs is a football school. Fact: Meigs has not been very good in football.

headknocker
Waterboy

Post by headknocker »

[quote=MarauderMadness post_id=1631162 time=1516230751 user_id=440]
Well then we sure ain't a basketball school. We change coaches every year because we always have a board member or two who thinks their kid is headed to the nba. It's a tradition at meigs.

[/quote]

You hit the nail on the head! Basketball Coaches can't win (literally and figuratively) at Meigs. It is a longstanding tradition.
Last edited by headknocker on Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Boys Basketball”