ATHENS: Mid-Season Stat Breakdown

moorelukas
Riding the Bench

ATHENS: Mid-Season Stat Breakdown

Post by moorelukas »

Since it's been so long since the last Athens game I crunched some in-depth numbers for the Bulldogs that go beyond the box score. I'm not putting opinion here, just posting the numbers. I only did the "main 6" contributors for this calculation because they have enough numbers to calculate. No bias, no opinion, just numbers.

The first stat I did was GAME SCORE, a game score is the calculation of a full stat line, placing appropriate values on ALL stats, (turnovers, fouls, points FG% etc.). This stat was generated for the NBA where the average Game Score is 10. For the TVC the average starter should average a 5.0 game score. Here are the Athens numbers:
1. Justin Hynes: 7.4
2. Logan Maxfield: 6.3
3. Eli Chubb: 5.8
4. Isaiah Butcher: 5.1
5. Elijah Williams: 2.3
6. Dalton Cozart: 2.1

The next stat I calculated was points per field goal attempt. This calculates how efficient of a scorer each player is. The best NBA point per FG currently is 1.7. Next to these numbers, I put the percentage of the team's FG's that each player takes. Here are the Athens numbers.
1. Isaiah Butcher: 1.4 (11.9%)
2. Justin Hynes: 1.24 (13.5%)
3. Eli Chubb: 1.08 (16.3%)
4. Dalton Cozart: 0.86 (20.8%)
5. Logan Maxfield: 0.86 (13.02%)
6. Elijah Williams: 0.78 (12.9%)

The last stat I did was one invented by Bill James, I don't think this one is as transferable from the NBA to high school because everyone plays different levels of competition in the Non-Conference, however Athens "Pythagorean Win Percentage", which takes point differential and calculates what percentage of games you should win, is 16%, which translates to 3-19 over a 22 game season.

For Bulldog fans, hopefully, the second half of the season is better than the first, please drop your thoughts below, and remember you can listen to all Athens Basketball games on 970 WATH AM or 97.1FM. Thanks.

VisionQuest
All State

Re: ATHENS: Mid-Season Stat Breakdown

Post by VisionQuest »

Cool. Thanks.

moorelukas
Riding the Bench

Re: ATHENS: Mid-Season Stat Breakdown

Post by moorelukas »

VisionQuest wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:05 pm Cool. Thanks.
:D

Return to “Boys Basketball”