Athens @ VC 1/23

VisionQuest
All State

Athens @ VC 1/23

Post by VisionQuest »

Thoughts??? VC firing on all cylinders, fully healthy and coming off a big win over ZT. Athens coming off a good team effort in a win over Meigs and also fully healthy and possibly could see some action from the Athletic Robert Dickelman who has returned to the team.

hateraid
Varsity

Re: Athens @ VC 1/23

Post by hateraid »

Shouldn't be close and VC still not fully healthy unless Griffith plays.
68-49 VC

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

hateraid wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:34 pm Shouldn't be close and VC still not fully healthy unless Griffith plays.
68-49 VC
Wow, no respect at all for the Dogs. But, I get it. Last game was 73-62, VC went off in that 2nd quarter and Athens couldn't quite claw their way back in it-but they never gave up, getting to within 5 in the 3rd. Hoping for a competive and injury free game. I know the Dogs are big underdogs in this one, but a win is not out of the question IMO.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

My heart says VC takes control from the get go and Combs schools Athens up. But my gut predicts a couple good breaks, some good shots and a tight game until VC pulls away on ft in the 4th

VC 69
Athens 61

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

I've heard a couple different things on Eli Griffith. At 1st wasn't there a hairline fracture and a chipped bone in the ankle and maybe be back in February? Now we are hearing it was a Bad Sprain and could be back soon? Was there a 2nd opinion or something or did someone not read the X-Rays right? Nonetheless hoping he heals up soon but don't rush it and make things worse. I'm sure VC wants him healthy for a tournament run.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

I think it will be close but VC is playing very well. VC by 8

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

VC by 15

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Ed Ott
Varsity

Post by Ed Ott »

Athens going to show everyone they are building steam for the tournament. I bet Athens size and athletes all but shuts down Yates. Guessing they hold him under a dozen points.

Athens 75
Vinton County 61

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Ed Ott wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:17 pm Athens going to show everyone they are building steam for the tournament. I bet Athens size and athletes all but shuts down Yates. Guessing they hold him under a dozen points.

Athens 75
Vinton County 61
I like the way you think, but have you seen VC? I'm not sure Athens has more size. Lol
Last edited by 93Bulldog on Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

Ed Ott wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:17 pm Athens going to show everyone they are building steam for the tournament. I bet Athens size and athletes all but shuts down Yates. Guessing they hold him under a dozen points.

Athens 75
Vinton County 61
I' ll take that bet . Any day !!!!!!!!!!!! Yates and Speakman may have more points than the whole Athens team. If Athens plays that zone it will be over before half time .

Ed Ott
Varsity

Post by Ed Ott »

93Bulldog wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:34 pm

Athens 75
Vinton County 61
I like the way you think, but have you seen VC? I'm not sure Athens has more size. Lol
Didn’t say they had more size than Vinton. Said they had size and athletes to shut down Yates

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

IMO the only player on Athens who can keep up with Speakman is the transfer Elijah, he is super quick and can block shots. I would give him one job and that is stop Speakman. I think Logan Maxfield can stay with Naylon Yates and maybe get a charge or 2 like he did on Speakman. Man to man I like the matchups. And what does Athens have to lose if they try to press? Everyone has them counted out anyway-why not make VC earn it and Run them. Last matchup I don't think Nevan or Naylon came out the whole game, Speakman only came out because of foul trouble early. Make them earn it and press some. If they start to break it then fall back. But at least give it a shot. Just my thoughts, I know everyone will get on here and say no Don't press VC.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

VisionQuest wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:09 pm IMO the only player on Athens who can keep up with Speakman is the transfer Elijah, he is super quick and can block shots. I would give him one job and that is stop Speakman. I think Logan Maxfield can stay with Naylon Yates and maybe get a charge or 2 like he did on Speakman. Man to man I like the matchups. And what does Athens have to lose if they try to press? Everyone has them counted out anyway-why not make VC earn it and Run them. Last matchup I don't think Nevan or Naylon came out the whole game, Speakman only came out because of foul trouble early. Make them earn it and press some. If they start to break it then fall back. But at least give it a shot. Just my thoughts, I know everyone will get on here and say no Don't press VC.
I think a controlled press where you are forcing them to take time and spend energy would be the way to go if you want to press the Vikings. Maybe you don't turn them over a lot out of it, but it could make a difference later in the game.

VC saw 3 starters over 6'5 and another at 6'3 on Saturday and went 24-37 from the field with 2 turnovers, so size won't really phase them, but maybe throwing something different at them could.

I'd take the Vikings by double digits, but I'm interested in seeing what changes the Bulldogs throw at VC.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

danicalifornia wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:16 pm
VisionQuest wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:09 pm IMO the only player on Athens who can keep up with Speakman is the transfer Elijah, he is super quick and can block shots. I would give him one job and that is stop Speakman. I think Logan Maxfield can stay with Naylon Yates and maybe get a charge or 2 like he did on Speakman. Man to man I like the matchups. And what does Athens have to lose if they try to press? Everyone has them counted out anyway-why not make VC earn it and Run them. Last matchup I don't think Nevan or Naylon came out the whole game, Speakman only came out because of foul trouble early. Make them earn it and press some. If they start to break it then fall back. But at least give it a shot. Just my thoughts, I know everyone will get on here and say no Don't press VC.
I think a controlled press where you are forcing them to take time and spend energy would be the way to go if you want to press the Vikings. Maybe you don't turn them over a lot out of it, but it could make a difference later in the game.

VC saw 3 starters over 6'5 and another at 6'3 on Saturday and went 24-37 from the field with 2 turnovers, so size won't really phase them, but maybe throwing something different at them could.

I'd take the Vikings by double digits, but I'm interested in seeing what changes the Bulldogs throw at VC.
Exactly!! And I have to re-emphasize what does Athens have to lose. Everyone is picking VC by double digits anyway, so why not try something new and get experience at it-if it works then continue using it, if it doesn't then learn from it and find ways to make it better. But for Gods sakes don't do what you done last time and expect the outcome to be any different. Remember it was Einstein who said the definition of Insanity is trying the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. Come on Bulldogs get fired up and bring one home.

moorelukas
Riding the Bench

Post by moorelukas »

Athens looked like they were exploring different presses against Meigs. Maybe they'll have a wrinkle or two to surprise VC. Athens has more belief in itself at this moment than any moment during the season. Micah and Robert's return have rushed some life into the team. Energy on the bench, no heads down when they fell behind 11-0, They're pumped for Tuesday, will VC match Athens energy? If Athens can jump out to a lead with some energy and an effective defensive scheme they could hold-on for an upset.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Stop giving VC insight and motivation. Athens is horrible, the Vikes should win by 20! Hahaha

Coach's wife
Waterboy

Post by Coach's wife »

VisionQuest wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:44 pm

Exactly!! And I have to re-emphasize what does Athens have to lose. Everyone is picking VC by double digits anyway, so why not try something new and get experience at it-if it works then continue using it, if it doesn't then learn from it and find ways to make it better. But for Gods sakes don't do what you done last time and expect the outcome to be any different. Remember it was Einstein who said the definition of Insanity is trying the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. Come on Bulldogs get fired up and bring one home.
Stop doubting the coaching. I promise they'll have a plan, and you may be surprised with the outcome.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

Coach's wife wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:19 pm
VisionQuest wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:44 pm

Stop doubting the coaching. I promise they'll have a plan, and you may be surprised with the outcome.
Last time I checked this is an open forum where different viewpoints, constructive criticism and conversation is allowed-Well, sometimes , unless O and B doesn't like what people say and he gets sensitive and Locks the Threads, just watch he will be all over this soon. And I suppose if I didn't care I wouldn't say a darn thing. Guess my passionate side gets the best of me sometimes. And believe me, I more than anyone hopes the coach has something up his sleeve.

therealNY
Freshman Team

Post by therealNY »

Unfortunately Athens is facing probably the best coach around (and has been for a while) in VC's coach. I do think talent wise Athens is loaded however they just haven't clicked and getting going at VC will be tough.

If you ain't first, you're last!
Orestes'
Freshman Team

Post by Orestes' »

therealNY wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:38 pm Unfortunately Athens is facing probably the best coach around (and has been for a while) in VC's coach. I do think talent wise Athens is loaded however they just haven't clicked and getting going at VC will be tough.
I would never want to have to hang my hopes on my team getting healthy, physically or mentally, against VC. Especially this late in the season.

Return to “Boys Basketball”