D3 Waverly Sectional

Smokyhollowbandit
JV Team

Re: D3 Waverly Sectional

Post by Smokyhollowbandit »

trojandave wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:11 pm Coach SLegg: I think the #1 seed will be between your Redstreaks and West Union, but you do have the head to head win vs. the Dragons. That could be the deciding factor for that #1. My Trojans could be as high as #3 or as low as #6, depending on how we fare these 2 weeks before the draw. I don't think we will get the #2 over West Union or Piketon.
Piketon best West Union early on in the season

Coach SLegg
Waterboy

Post by Coach SLegg »

TrojanDave,
When strength of schedule, conferences, and head-to-head games are all factored in, seeding can get interesting as you’re well aware.
D3 seeding is always complicated due to D3 schools being the middle children (between D2 & D4) so to speak and mixed schedules between the 3 divisions.
A lot of basketball left to play before the draw.

Here Comes the Streaks!
ItsMyOpinion
Varsity

Post by ItsMyOpinion »

I think if the draw was today, West Union should get the #1 seed. West Union’s victory over a solid Ripley team last week is the determining factor for me. But there is still a lot of basketball to be played so time will tell how the coaches feel.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Phoenix31 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:59 pm Current ranking and records according to pfloyd:

14.) West Union (12-3)
19.) Portsmouth (9-5)
20.) Eastern Brown (9-6)
21.) Piketon (10-5)
24.) Paint Valley (8-6)
25.) Lynchburg Clay (7-6)
40.) Western (7-8)
47.) Southeastern (5-10)
49.) North Adams (6-8)
55.) West (5-8)
56.) Northwest (5-9)
61.) Adena (3-10)
64.) Valley (3-10)
68.) Huntington (2-13)
Time for Portsmouth to step up.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
Phoenix31
JV Team

Post by Phoenix31 »

noreply66 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:17 am Time for Portsmouth to step up.
Gotta cut down on the turnovers...

:mrgreen:

seopcommenter
Riding the Bench
Location: i like to back my statemints up with historical factoids

Post by seopcommenter »

as i look intomy kristal ball ,, i see the dragoons from western union being the 1 seed

piketown has the docking win ,, i just think the dragoons have a better resume

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

When it's all said and done I think it'll be along these lines here.

1.) West Union
2.) Piketon
3.) Eastern Brown
4.) Portsmouth
5.) Paint Valley
6.) Lynchburg Clay
7.) Western
8.) Southeastern
9.) North Adams
10.) West
11.) Northwest
12.) Adena
13.) Valley
14.) Huntington

Portsmouth has brutal games still coming up and I'm not sure how much respect will be given to their schedule (although they definitely deserve that respect).

West Union is the clear #1 unless they hiccup.

Eastern Brown is playing better now that they're healthy and will be a dangerous draw no matter where they are.

Paint Valley will always have a shot because they have the best player in this sectional.

Western is playing better and could potentially upset somebody in the tournament.

Southeastern showed last year their record means nothing once tournament times comes around.

Should be an entertaining sectional with not much separation from the 1-8 spots.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
HamPorter
All Conference

Post by HamPorter »

I can tell you who would not be happy with that draw if it were to play out the way bbjunky has posted, Norm Persin. Portsmouth is well coached and always plays well down the stretch, while Swingle and the Bearcats had the Oaks beat until a late game collapse last year at the Convo. While the Oaks are an even better team this year, I still think that those would be teams that OH would want to avoid if possible.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

HamPorter wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:27 am I can tell you who would not be happy with that draw if it were to play out the way bbjunky has posted, Norm Persin. Portsmouth is well coached and always plays well down the stretch, while Swingle and the Bearcats had the Oaks beat until a late game collapse last year at the Convo. While the Oaks are an even better team this year, I still think that those would be teams that OH would want to avoid if possible.
And they will avoid them.

If Oak Hill wins vs. the #8 Seed, they'll face the #4 or #5 coming out of Jackson.

If they win that, they'll face the #2 seed from Jackson or the #3 seed from Waverly.

HamPorter
All Conference

Post by HamPorter »

bbjunky81 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:28 am
HamPorter wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:27 am I can tell you who would not be happy with that draw if it were to play out the way bbjunky has posted, Norm Persin. Portsmouth is well coached and always plays well down the stretch, while Swingle and the Bearcats had the Oaks beat until a late game collapse last year at the Convo. While the Oaks are an even better team this year, I still think that those would be teams that OH would want to avoid if possible.

If Oak Hill wins vs. the #8 Seed, they'll face the #4 or #5 coming out of Jackson.

If they win that, they'll face the #2 seed from Jackson or the #3 seed from Waverly.
Actually, the 1 from Jackson plays the #4/5 winner from Waverly at the Convo.

http://seodab.org/index.php/winter-spor ... basketball

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

HamPorter wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:24 am

My apologies - I simply mixed up the Waverly and Jackson sectionals. For whatever reason I had Oak Hill in my head as coming out of the same sectional as Portsmouth. That was my mistake.

You're right, Oak Hill would face the 4 or 5 seed coming out of Waverly.

It's early --- let my coffee kick in before I make any sense! :lol:

HamPorter
All Conference

Post by HamPorter »

bbjunky81 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:36 am
HamPorter wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:24 am

My apologies - I simply mixed up the Waverly and Jackson sectionals. For whatever reason I had Oak Hill in my head as coming out of the same sectional as Portsmouth. That was my mistake.

You're right, Oak Hill would face the 4 or 5 seed coming out of Waverly.

It's early --- let my coffee kick in before I make any sense! :lol:
No problem! I had to look it up after I saw your post to make sure, because I hadn't looked at the website this season.

Is there such thing as a bad win? Because Lynchburg had that tonight having to hit a 3 at the buzzer to beat McClain by a point.

ItsMyOpinion
Varsity

Post by ItsMyOpinion »

The way it looks now is West Union is going to secure the #1 seed. The biggest question is who gets the #2 and the #4 & #5 seeds. I should say who wants the #2 or #4/#5 seeds.

Doesn’t the #4/#5 at Waverly play the #1 Seed (Oak Hill) from Jackson in the District semi-finals? And if the top seeds win out doesn’t the #2 seed from Waverly play Oak Hill in the District Final? I can see team wanting the #3 and #6 seeds more than the #2 or #4/#5.

Streaks6106
Waterboy

Post by Streaks6106 »

I think it’s a little early to be giving WU the #1 seed, still games to be played before draw.

With that being said Piketon has the head to head win against WU this year.

ItsMyOpinion
Varsity

Post by ItsMyOpinion »

Early? I thought the draw was next weekend. Maybe I am wrong. If it is next weekend, I wouldn’t consider a week before the draw being early.

My prediction was based off the 13-3 record (WU) and 12-5 record (Piketon). I also took into consideration the head-to-head was early in the season. In my opinion, at this point West Union deserves the #1 seed. But it is just my opinion.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

ItsMyOpinion wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:17 pm Early? I thought the draw was next weekend. Maybe I am wrong. If it is next weekend, I wouldn’t consider a week before the draw being early.

My prediction was based off the 13-3 record (WU) and 12-5 record (Piketon). I also took into consideration the head-to-head was early in the season. In my opinion, at this point West Union deserves the #1 seed. But it is just my opinion.
Agree

Smokyhollowbandit
JV Team

Post by Smokyhollowbandit »

ItsMyOpinion wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:17 pm Early? I thought the draw was next weekend. Maybe I am wrong. If it is next weekend, I wouldn’t consider a week before the draw being early.

I have to agree that it’s still a little early to tell, West Union still has to take care of business. If West Union happens to lose before the draw, Piketon could likely claim the 1 spot

Killer Krossover
Waterboy

Post by Killer Krossover »

In my opinion, I disagree with WU being a lock at #1. Of course, I’m looking at this from outside being a Unioto fan. I’ve followed the SVC all year, and particularly the Piketon team as I truly thought they had the best potential to upset my Sherman’s.

This team has every right to be a #1 seed, and it DOES start with a head to head win vs. WU. Early or not, we could discuss snow conditions and scheduling that has affected Piketon as they played 7 games in 10 days I believe, they have no bad losses, including 3 losses to top D2 teams. They still have 3 games before the draw, including tonight against Manchester who is in the SHAC league. Piketon has beaten West Union and Peebles who are #1 in their respective divisions. That could be 3 wins-0 losses vs. SHAC schools. So there is a case for Piketon and it isn’t as clear cut. The SVC is as strong as anyone in SE Ohio with top 4 teams

What is the overall breakdown of W/L of WU and Piketon vs various division levels?

No matter what, both teams are very deserving of high seeds.

Again this is my opinion.

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

West Union is much like Ripley. Not a lot of size but play many players each game. Very good shooting Senior ladened team. That being said, I think Piketon has a better mix of players and would win the rebounding game if the game gets really physical. Tournaments are physical so I'm going with Piketon as 1 seed.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Killer Krossover wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:10 pm In my opinion, I disagree with WU being a lock at #1. Of course, I’m looking at this from outside being a Unioto fan. I’ve followed the SVC all year, and particularly the Piketon team as I truly thought they had the best potential to upset my Sherman’s.

This team has every right to be a #1 seed, and it DOES start with a head to head win vs. WU. Early or not, we could discuss snow conditions and scheduling that has affected Piketon as they played 7 games in 10 days I believe, they have no bad losses, including 3 losses to top D2 teams. They still have 3 games before the draw, including tonight against Manchester who is in the SHAC league. Piketon has beaten West Union and Peebles who are #1 in their respective divisions. That could be 3 wins-0 losses vs. SHAC schools. So there is a case for Piketon and it isn’t as clear cut. The SVC is as strong as anyone in SE Ohio with top 4 teams

What is the overall breakdown of W/L of WU and Piketon vs various division levels?

No matter what, both teams are very deserving of high seeds.

Again this is my opinion.
Quick look I have them at 9-2 vs D3 and 4-1 vs D4

Lost @D3 Piketon by 4, Lost @D3 Ripley, Lost at D4 Peebles

Last 10 games 8-0 vs D3 and 2-0 vs D4...they have returned the favor to Ripley.

If a two game difference I give edge to WU, if within 1 I’d be ok with Piketon getting the 1.

Return to “Boys Basketball”