D3 Waverly Sectional

Smokyhollowbandit
JV Team

D3 Waverly Sectional

Post by Smokyhollowbandit »

What’s everyone’s thoughts about seeding. Piketon and Portsmouth Both even for the 1 seed. West Union possibly the 3

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Re: D3 Waverly Sectional

Post by danicalifornia »

Just gonna throw out a prediction. Remember that the SHAC will likely have the numbers advantage if they can all get on the same page.

1. Portsmouth
2. Piketon
3. West Union
4. Lynchburg Clay
5. Eastern Brown
6. Paint Valley
7. North Adams
8. Southeastern
9. Western
10. West
11. Northwest
12. Adena
13. Valley
14. Huntington

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

I think I would want to avoid Eastern Brown. They are getting it going now after early season injuries. Coach Beucler working his teaching moments well.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

danicalifornia wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:01 pm Just gonna throw out a prediction. Remember that the SHAC will likely have the numbers advantage if they can all get on the same page.

1. Portsmouth
2. Piketon
3. West Union
4. Lynchburg Clay
5. Eastern Brown
6. Paint Valley
7. North Adams
8. Southeastern
9. Western
10. West
11. Northwest
12. Adena
13. Valley
14. Huntington
Agree

Piketon has the league affiliation to get the 1 though

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Ironman92 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:13 pm
danicalifornia wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:01 pm Just gonna throw out a prediction. Remember that the SHAC will likely have the numbers advantage if they can all get on the same page.

1. Portsmouth
2. Piketon
3. West Union
4. Lynchburg Clay
5. Eastern Brown
6. Paint Valley
7. North Adams
8. Southeastern
9. Western
10. West
11. Northwest
12. Adena
13. Valley
14. Huntington
Agree

You are correct. Even when typing it, I had thought that the SVC only had 4.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

danicalifornia wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:18 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:13 pm

1. Portsmouth
2. Piketon
3. West Union
4. Lynchburg Clay
5. Eastern Brown
6. Paint Valley
7. North Adams
8. Southeastern
9. Western
10. West
11. Northwest
12. Adena
13. Valley
14. Huntington
Agree

You are correct. Even when typing it, I had thought that the SVC only had 4.
I mean I doubt it happens and SHAC and others could bond together. I know Portsmouth, like South Webster and other go into sectional with much affiliation and get put lower than they should.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

I can almost guarantee that Portsmouth (8-3) will not get the #1 seed at Waverly. It will most likely go to Piketon or West Union even if the Redstreaks or Dragons have a lesser record than the Trojans. The ideal seed at Waverly would be the #3, because that team will avoid Oak Hill until the regionals. With Portsmouth's upcoming schedule, it will be difficult for the Trojans to go into the draw with no fewer than 5-6 losses. PHS this week has games @Coal Grove, who beat the Trojans at PHS earlier, South Point at H, whom the Trojans beat in OT at SP, and at Gallia Academy on Saturday. Portsmouth also picked up Albany Alexander at the Beast of the Southeast on Feb. 10, and still have to play at Fairland before the draw.

beaverlover
SE

Post by beaverlover »

So... have we figured out if Western is D3 or D4? Lightle 72 (which he would know)says there was a mixup with the numbers and they are actually D4..if so,I'm guessing they would send a team from Jackson sectional to keep 14 teams at Waverly?If this does happen, good chance it could be Eastern Pike..hintz my interest lol

JIMMY THE GREEK
All Conference

Post by JIMMY THE GREEK »

Probably the weakest Waverly bracket I've seen in awhile. trojandave might be right, I will never dispute his knowledge of the Trojans. My Streaks need to win the next three to grab that top spot. JMO

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

JIMMY THE GREEK wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:37 am Probably the weakest Waverly bracket I've seen in awhile. trojandave might be right, I will never dispute his knowledge of the Trojans. My Streaks need to win the next three to grab that top spot. JMO
D3 is definitely down in SE Ohio this year compared to years past. There's Oak Hill, large gap, then about 5-6 teams (Eastern Pike, Portsmouth, Piketon, West Union, Wheelersburg, Alexander maybe? Lyncburg maybe?)

Paint Valley could make some noise with their big kid. Eastern Brown is healthy now and has a great coach, wouldn't shock me to see them get to the Convo. South Point is a dangerous matchup for somebody but just doesn't have the depth they had in previous seasons - Fox is good though!

Nonetheless, Oak Hill shouldn't have any problem getting to the Regional but that's when they run into a potential buzz saw. Who the 2nd SE District champion will be is the real conversation.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
king kong
Freshman Team

Post by king kong »

beaverlover wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:27 pm So... have we figured out if Western is D3 or D4? Lightle 72 (which he would know)says there was a mixup with the numbers and they are actually D4..if so,I'm guessing they would send a team from Jackson sectional to keep 14 teams at Waverly?If this does happen, good chance it could be Eastern Pike..hintz my interest lol

Both sectionals have 14, doubt they would move a school if Western moves to D IV. This Waverly sectional is weak if we are talking Portsmouth, Or Piketon as a 1 seed!

ItsMyOpinion
Varsity

Post by ItsMyOpinion »

I would have to agree with others and say the Waverly Sectional is the weaker of the two. Regardless of which Sectional is stronger I think the Waverly Sectional is way down from years past.

I will have to wait and see how the next three weeks play out but I think Piketon’s resume will earn them the #1 seed. Of course a lot of things can happen between now and tournament time!

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Portsmouth dropped to 8-4 with a 59-53 loss at Coal Grove. The Trojans are going to have a tough time getting a high seed with these games remaining before the draw (South Point, Gallia Academy twice, at Fairland, Albany Alexander). I have watched the Trojans all year, and they are very capable of beating a better team in the tourney if they can minimize the turnover bug that has cost them several times this year. Athletically, they can match up with anyone. PHS is 3-3 in a very good OVC. Fairland and Gallia Academy are state ranked, and Coal Grove is 8-3 (4-2 OVC) as the only D4 school in the conference. 3 of Portsmouth's 4 losses have come by single digits.

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

Coach Beucler lost both of his big kids early year to injuries. His team has been transformed into a different team. Perhaps his best coaching job yet. His young ones are playing with more attitude and confidence. Don't sleep on the new Eastern Warriors.

Phoenix31
JV Team

Post by Phoenix31 »

Current ranking and records according to pfloyd:

14.) West Union (12-3)
19.) Portsmouth (9-5)
20.) Eastern Brown (9-6)
21.) Piketon (10-5)
24.) Paint Valley (8-6)
25.) Lynchburg Clay (7-6)
40.) Western (7-8)
47.) Southeastern (5-10)
49.) North Adams (6-8)
55.) West (5-8)
56.) Northwest (5-9)
61.) Adena (3-10)
64.) Valley (3-10)
68.) Huntington (2-13)

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Haven't seen any of those teams that are ranked ahead of West other than Portsmouth. But West is playing good basketball. Coach Hafer has them playing much more under control than past West teams. They've taken 3 good teams on the road to the wire (Wheelersburg, Georgetown, South Webster) and gave Oak Hill fits for a half until their size took over. Need to finish games, but I think they are definitely better than the record shows and they are the kind've team you don't want to draw early in a tournament.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Portsmouth's 5 losses have come against 4 teams that have lost only 10 games total. Fairland and Gallia Academy are state ranked in D2, Coal Grove beat the Trojans twice by a total of 8 points, and Wheelersburg defeated PHS by 9. I think the Trojans don't have a "bad" loss yet, and the strength of the OVC is showing considering 4 of the Trojans losses have come in the OVC. Portsmouth's strength of schedule is as good as anybody's in SE D3,and that is why I think they can make a good tourney run into March.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Portsmouth still has to play at Chesapeake, at Fairland, and at Rock Hill this week, and have Gallia Academy and Albany Alexander next week before the draw. Where the Trojans will be seeded is a very difficult prediction at this moment.

Coach SLegg
Waterboy

Post by Coach SLegg »

Piketon Red Streaks at 10-5 as of 01/29/18 with these games before draw: at Valley, at Southeastern, vs Manchester, vs Westfall, vs Zane Trace.

Streaks have no bad losses: 2X to D2 Unioto, OT at D2 Zane Trace, Paint Valley, neutral floor vs Eastern Pike.
Wins vs higher seeds: West Union, at Peebles, at Paint Valley.
By the end, Streaks will have played 7 D2, 13 D3, 2 D4 games...strong schedule for D3 in this Sectional.

Should be interesting leading into the draw as to how the seedings work out as there's a lot of basketball to be played over the next 2wks.
Last edited by Coach SLegg on Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Here Comes the Streaks!
trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Coach SLegg: I think the #1 seed will be between your Redstreaks and West Union, but you do have the head to head win vs. the Dragons. That could be the deciding factor for that #1. My Trojans could be as high as #3 or as low as #6, depending on how we fare these 2 weeks before the draw. I don't think we will get the #2 over West Union or Piketon.

Return to “Boys Basketball”