Playing Time

VisionQuest
All State

Playing Time

Post by VisionQuest »

This is always the Elephant in the Room. Everyone thinks their kid should get more. What's everyone's thoughts on this. Do parents have the right to question a coach about this and/or complain about it. Or does the Coach have ultimate authority and what he or she says goes and the parents and players just need to accept it?

mikepike
All State

Re: Playing Time

Post by mikepike »

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with a parent asking what their kid needs to work on in order to earn more playing time, if it’s done appropriately. But the parent needs to realize that there are other kids on the team who may be working as well to earn more playing time.

i83
Freshman Team

Post by i83 »

Respect coach and his job if kid wants to ask coach wat he needs to do for more playing time that's OK.

gametime
SE

Post by gametime »

i83 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:39 pm Respect coach and his job if kid wants to ask coach wat he needs to do for more playing time that's OK.
Your right, it's up the kid to ask, parents need to stay out of the way!!!!!!

You can't handle the truth
SportsRule
Freshman Team

Post by SportsRule »

Kids know who should be playing. But having to go home and listen to parents being negative puts their own kids in a tough spot.

beaverlover
SE

Post by beaverlover »

SportsRule wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:54 pm Kids know who should be playing. But having to go home and listen to parents being negative puts their own kids in a tough spot.
[/quote

One of best posts ever! U hit the nail on the head!

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

gametime wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:46 pm
i83 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:39 pm Respect coach and his job if kid wants to ask coach wat he needs to do for more playing time that's OK.
I know a kid that did just that . Asked coach if he had time to talk to him and asked what he needed to do to improve his game . Good kid with a love of the game .The coach belittled the kid and told him to basically if he did not like it he would demote him to JV team . What do you tell your kid after that ?

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

SportsRule wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:54 pm Kids know who should be playing. But having to go home and listen to parents being negative puts their own kids in a tough spot.
I definitely don’t believe kids know who should be playing. I bet many many kids on the bench think they should be playing more.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Truth&fiction wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:10 pm
I know a kid that did just that . Asked coach if he had time to talk to him and asked what he needed to do to improve his game . Good kid with a love of the game .The coach belittled the kid and told him to basically if he did not like it he would demote him to JV team . What do you tell your kid after that ?
Tell them to go play JV.

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

mlittle wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:20 pm
Truth&fiction wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:10 pm
Tell them to go play JV.
Yep that's what I expected someone to say . ALL coaches are saints . I 'm glad some have all the answers .

i83
Freshman Team

Post by i83 »

Life lessons not everything goes the way you like its how you respond to it work harder and show the coach he can't leave you on the bench no coach wants to lose

therealNY
Freshman Team

Post by therealNY »

I don’t think it’s wrong as a parent to ask what a kid can work on to get to a starting spot etc. Should be ok for kid to ask as well. Unfortunately you have some coaches that get all offended, go to their AD and cries about it.

If you ain't first, you're last!
Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

I believe this is the very thing that blew up on Manchester this year causing their coaching staff to leave. Trust the coaches to build teams as he and his staff wants.Programs have to be built unless in some cases you recruit and even then you have to trust your staff.If you don't get playing time prove yourself in practice. Team ball wins games.

falcon117
Riding the Bench

Post by falcon117 »

I do not understand how the kid benefits from their parent asking the coach about playing time. The parent cannot go out and play for the kid, nor can the parent practice for the kid. So how does the kid benefit from a parent going and asking the coach about playing time? The kid is better off asking the coach personally and figuring out what he/she needs to do to possibly get more playing time.

beaverlover
SE

Post by beaverlover »

Agreed, nothing ever seems to turn out good when a parent gets involved with the coaches job.

donaldtrump
Freshman Team

Post by donaldtrump »

Why do people not have common sense. If a Parent ask about their kids playing time to his Coach will cause hard feelings no matter if they are respectful about it. Whining to the Coach only hurts the kid. A lot of Coaches will then put the kid in when the time is right to guard a player who will dominate him to prove why Skippy is on the pine.

therealNY
Freshman Team

Post by therealNY »

Why is it whining? It’s a darn question. I’m not saying argue why or why not just ask what we can work on. Many parents help their kids on the side - nothing wrong with that. I know it can be touchy but if its asked correctly then I see no issue.

If you ain't first, you're last!
Lightle72
Riding the Bench

Post by Lightle72 »

If your a parent of a child and have attended games and watched the kids play you should be able to make a honest evaluation of your child’s skill level. Be honest with yourself about your child. Support them go to the games and cheer. Coaches want to win first and foremost if any kid can help them do that in any way the coach will play them. No one plays the game to loose at the varsity level.

fortdawg
All Conference

Post by fortdawg »

Dealing with parents is part of the job---unless you coach at an orphanage.

I have found parents that are rational about the fruit of their loins----but they are rare.

I've had kids ask me what they had to do to get on the floor more and I gave them an honest answer.

I think it's best for High School kids to approach a coach---but that's just me. There will come a time when the kid will have to stand on their own.

High School is a time for learning----I've always thought that dealing with a coach is great training for dealing with a boss.

They will come in all shapes and sizes---kids need to learn how to navigate that voyage on their own---unless the parents plan on fighting all the kids battles.

star
Waterboy

Post by star »

plain in simple if I want my kid to have more playing time; we spend a lot of extra time outside of his team practices to make him better at his skills so he will simply pass his teammates up. you are either passing someone up or they are passing you up is our motto

Return to “Boys Basketball”