Coaches Handshakes

VisionQuest
All State

Coaches Handshakes

Post by VisionQuest »

What is proper etiquette on Coaches shaking hands before the game when the starting lineups are announced. Most seem to have the assistant coach shake the opposing players hands. But, I have seen Head Coaches Combs from VC and Maddox from Warren shake hands, I think that is A Class Act. I have also heard of teams that don't have anyone shake hands. I don't agree with that. What peoples thoughts on this???

mlittle
SEOP

Re: Coaches Handshakes

Post by mlittle »

Didn't do this when I played but if they did then I would run over and stick my hand out for the coach and then pull it back real quick and say "syke" and then run back to the huddle.

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

Each to their own but I think a fist bump or hand shake should occur . I think it's adds class when players before jump ball acknowledge each other .

rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

I think it’s silly. Head coach busy with pregame thoughts . Players should shake prior to tip on the floor. Everyone shake after game. Heck even cheer leaders shake hands nowadays. Next thing you know fans will start to fall in line to do the same....

spartans_fan
Varsity

Post by spartans_fan »

I am pretty sure it is expected at regional and state tournament for teams to shake hands with the opposing coach prior to the games. I guess if you don't expect to make it to that level, then it is ok not to shake hands. I personal think you should practice what you are preparing for in the future. If you expect your team to make it to that level, then you should practice it.

svc_guy
Freshman Team

Post by svc_guy »

No reason Not to do a quick fist bump or handshake. Doesn't have to be head coach. The overwhelming majority of teams do it now and have for some time. It doesn't make me mad that some don't but I think its a mutual respect thing. I know a certain team in the SVC that never did until this year when the kids wanted to. Kudos to them for that. If there is a good reason why they should not I would like to hear it(and please don't thump your chest and give me its competitive thing) love to hear what they have to say.

fortdawg
All Conference

Post by fortdawg »

I have a story involving this.

I was an asst. Girls coach and the designated handshaker. I was always leery of this and just stuck my hand out there for kids to shake in the manner they wanted.

We were at Zanesville playing in a tourney game and I did the usual limp wrist act. This kid grasped my hand with a small smile on her face and I was wondering what was up----and then she clamped down!

I've had a couple of men equal (but not surpass) her grip and she proceeded to come close to buckling my knees. hahahaahahaha

Her smile increased as she applied pressure. I thought we might be in trouble underneath and I was right. hahaahahah

therealNY
Freshman Team

Post by therealNY »

Tread lightly or this will be locked or deleted soon. I called out Trimble for not shaking NYs hands the first game we met. I think it’s total disrespect if a kid comes over to your bench to shake hands and you ignore.

If you ain't first, you're last!
OVC
JV Team

Post by OVC »

From the few Rock Hill games I've been to, I've seen Chesapeakes Ryan Davis and Coal Groves Kevin Vanderhoof shake hands of players from the opposite team during the starting lineups. I was thinking about that the last week to. It's usually delegated to an assistant while the head coach goes over last minute adjustments

Contemplating all life choices and loyalties…
AnkleBraces
Freshman Team

Post by AnkleBraces »

Could be like Shoemaker from PV and not shake hands after losses. Saw him do it to Piketon when I was scouting earlier this year

EagleEye3
Riding the Bench

Post by EagleEye3 »

I'm all for being a good sport and showing respect but I've always thought this was kind of silly. You shake hands at the captains meeting, and alot of teams go around before the tip and do it. Also after the game all line up and shake hands as they should. Whats the actual purpose of running over to shake hands with a coach who the majority of the time are annoyed by this and would rather be in the huddle 30seconds before the tip. I would bet if you got an honest answer from coaches around SEO most would say they see no point in shaking hands as starters are announced.

DUNKONE
Waterboy

Post by DUNKONE »

My boy has an assistant do this. He has to focus on getting his stare down before tip plus he needs a few warmup stomps too

mrwonderful
Varsity

Post by mrwonderful »

I noticed Ironton players after being introduced don't shake the refs or opposing teams Coach hands... If they did I missed it....

Bballmom123
Waterboy

Post by Bballmom123 »

They don’t. I asked before, said it’s tradition.

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

Bballmom123 wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:15 pm They don’t. I asked before, said it’s tradition.
Just like everything else with Ironton sports, stuck in the past. Maybe they need new traditions so they can win more than only half or less than half their games.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

I don’t really care about this either way. A lot of times during warmups both coaches stand at half court and spend at least 5 minuets talking to the opposing head coach. During this time I see several players from the teams come to the head coaches and shake the opposing coaches hand. And share a couple of seconds.

I also notice during pregame talk to refs that there is usually a lot more then a quick handshake with opposing players. Plus when they go out for tip and after game.

So during starting lineups I can take this or leave it.

Mailman
All Conference

Post by Mailman »

ND has an assistant shake the other teams hand as he’s busy talking to players. ND players do not shake hands with officials or other teams coach. Not sure the reasoning I just know they don’t. I don’t think it’s an issue either way.

Return to “Boys Basketball”