Deepest teams

tigerchief1
Waterboy

Deepest teams

Post by tigerchief1 »

Bench play is really important, I know most of the time everyone is discussing how good this starting 5 is compared to another starting 5. Bench players who come in for foul trouble, or to give someone a rest, or to just keep tempo up to wear the other team down in my book is as important than having a great starting 5. Thoughts on some of the deepest teams around. I know Waverly is 8 to 9 players deep and there getting healthy, and improving. There bench has came through on several occasions this year, and I think there gearing up to make a run.

rxburgfan
All State

Re: Deepest teams

Post by rxburgfan »

depth is usually key to long run. Oak Hill will struggle. They play 5 and 6 on they drop off. Burg plays 7. Fairland 7. I don’t see Waverly with going 9. Most HS you might get 7.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

This definitely fluctuates as the season progresses. For Athens at the beginning of the season I would have said 9 deep. Add injuries in the mix and then game time minutes to see if any cream rises to the top or fails expectations and now I say 7 deep

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Waverly rotated all 9 dressed players last night, each one with meaningful minutes. With the style of play and that rotation, it wears the opponent down.

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

Peebles can rotate 7 but it doesn't usually work our well if the go deeper when there is a Freshman game. We have all seniors,sophmores and freshman. No Juniors . Depth is our problem. Unless you are a Wellington,a harvest prep D4 schools really struggle to even have 6 or 6 varsity ready players. That's where the coaching comes into play in my opinion.
Last edited by Hoopie74 on Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

Eastern Brown will go deep in their bench. Coach Beucler will let the hot hand work and everyone is allowed to score if the situation presents itself. I think they could be a spoiler come tournament time.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

For a Division IV team, I would argue that Fisher Cath. is one of the deeper ones south of I-70 and east of U.S. 62. Seven different players have scored in double figures thus far in a game, three of whom put up at least 20 (and thats considering that 4-year starter Saffell, a great slasher and scorer, hasn’t hit 20 yet this year). Probably more impressive is the fact that eight-to-nine guys will score in most games, along with the instance where 10 Irish scored in the 58-41 win over FCA. Fourteen of the 15 players on the varsity roster have scored at least four points in a game this year. Good deal of rotation and the first-year coach for FC has done a masterful job of making sure each kid that’s put in the work in practice is rewarded with meaningful minutes and the opportunity to contribute to a “W.” If they win the Central District and make it onto to Regionals at the Convo, it’ll be because of their depth, their “coachability”, and the willingness of Coach Brown to reward the “9-15 spot” kids’ hard work in practice with meaningful playing time in and out of league play.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Hoopie74 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:57 pm Peebles can rotate 7 but it doesn't usually work our well if the go deeper when there is a Freshman game. We have all seniors,sophmores and freshman. No Juniors . Depth is our problem. Unless you are a Wellington,a harvest prep D4 schools really struggle to even have 6 or 6 varsity ready players. That's where the coaching comes into play in my opinion.
You make a very good point about the reserve teams and the detriment it can have toward the end of the bench, particularly for a Division IV school as it relates to available quarters for play in the given night. I think something that most powerhouses, public or private, have figured out is there is no incentive to cut kids from a competitive standpoint (the CBP/roster count task notwithstanding.) If a kid isn’t varsity material, he still has a place: the reserve team. The reserve teams have games to play too, so the more bodies you can put on the court for JV means there’s less of a need for the kids at the end of the varsity bench to burn more than two quarters of the five that they’re permitted.

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

formerfcfan wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:10 pm
Hoopie74 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:57 pm Peebles can rotate 7 but it doesn't usually work our well if the go deeper when there is a Freshman game. We have all seniors,sophmores and freshman. No Juniors . Depth is our problem. Unless you are a Wellington,a harvest prep D4 schools really struggle to even have 6 or 6 varsity ready players. That's where the coaching comes into play in my opinion.
You make a very good point about the reserve teams and the detriment it can have toward the end of the bench, particularly for a Division IV school as it relates to available quarters for play in the given night. I think something that most powerhouses, public or private, have figured out is there is no incentive to cut kids from a competitive standpoint (the CBP/roster count task notwithstanding.) If a kid isn’t varsity material, he still has a place: the reserve team. The reserve teams have games to play too, so the more bodies you can put on the court for JV means there’s less of a need for the kids at the end of the varsity bench to burn more than two quarters of the five that they’re permitted.
Our last two games were a case in point. We played Eastern Pike and Piketon and the lack of available varsity ready players bit us. Our sophmore point guard has missed probably 4 minutes all year. Against good teams he doesn't come out. His scoring suffers because he has to distribute. He is a proven scorer ,but; numbers seldom allow that. It is what it is. I think tournament time we will be ready though.

falcon117
Riding the Bench

Post by falcon117 »

How is Burg's bench? Not seen them play this year.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

falcon117 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:41 pm How is Burg's bench? Not seen them play this year.
:lol:

CavalierAlum05
Varsity

Post by CavalierAlum05 »

Not seop but Harvest Prep is the deepest team I have seen in years. Everyone plays, literally.

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

falcon117 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:41 pm How is Burg's bench? Not seen them play this year.
Their bench is 3 deep now that Trent Salyers is back from injury. One is still injured and the other 4 are JV players.

tigerchief1
Waterboy

Post by tigerchief1 »

The Waverly Tigers DO indeed go 9 deep, they all contribute, and are all solid players, maybe not Allstate, but there all heart,GO TIGEtRS...

Return to “Boys Basketball”