AAU Opportunity

AustinCunningham
Waterboy

AAU Opportunity

Post by AustinCunningham »

What’s up SEOPS? I’m Austin Cunningham, Head Coach of the MOV Blue 17U AAU team. A little background about myself is I’m a graduate of Warren (’11) where I played under legendary coach Blane Maddox. Also during my time there I got instruction from Mark Duckworth and Terry Coffman. These men helped my basketball knowledge and character building grow tremendously! I went on to play college basketball for D2 Ohio Valley University for a year before deciding to transfer and finish out my career for D2 Shepherd University (’15). I had a great college career and I love the game of basketball. Out of high school I didn’t receive many looks and I believe not going to exposure events during the AAU season and marketing myself may have hindered my offers.

I have many goals for this team and the main goal is to have fun. I want to promote SEO hoops and assemble the best team of kids that love the game and want to play at the next level. I want to help players grow on and off the court and help market their game and character to college coaches.

Our program offers something a lot of AAU programs cannot. Our plan is to have a heavy travel schedule and participate in big exposure tournaments week in and week out. One of the benefits of playing for the MOV Blue is that jersey cost will be covered. You will get one reversible jersey and a pair of reversible shorts. With AAU we know tournaments, especially with the big exposure events, cost a lot of money. To me, this is the biggest benefit to playing for the MOV Blue, and I can honestly say I am jealous I didn’t have this when I was younger. We plan to go to at least 10 tournaments and all the tournaments will be paid for by our sponsors. This is a huge benefit for families! We plan on ending our tournament run in Florida. With that comes plane tickets and we are working on making a deal with an airline to get the best deal possible. As the AAU season gets closer and our roster is set we may charge a small fee to cover plane tickets, hotels, food, etc.

Once again my goal is to promote these kids and help them achieve their goals of playing at the next level! If this sounds like something you’re interested in, please feel free to email me at acunni01@rams.shepherd.edu. Shoot me an email with any questions you may have and I’ll be glad to answer them!

Thanks,

Austin Cunningham

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: AAU Opportunity

Post by Ironman92 »

Good Luck

rocket20
Freshman Team

Post by rocket20 »

This sounds amazing. The cost of this type of stuff is what costs some really good decent players a chance of playing at the next level. Just sucks that a kid might have talent but not have the money to get this kind of exposure and it sounds like you're trying to work around that in the best interest of the kid. Good luck to you and all the kids that get a chance to play for you.

The Flash
Varsity

Post by The Flash »

Impressive. What you’re doing now is more impactful than anything you’ll do as a player. Good luck

AustinCunningham
Waterboy

MOV Blue Schedule

April 7th – 8th - 21st Annual Wildcat Classic – Newark, OH
April 14th – 15th – Big Shots West Virginia Tip-Off – Clarksburg, WV
April 20th – April 21st – Pitt Jam Fest – Pittsburgh, PA
April 27th – 28th – Big Shots DC Spring Live – Washington D.C.
May 4th- 5th – Bill Hensley Memorial Run-N-Slam – Fort Wayne, IN
May 12th – 13th – OFF
May 19th – 20th – Big Shots Louisville – Louisville, KY
May 26th – 27th - 16th Annual Kings Island Memorial Day Madness – Cincinnati, OH
June 2nd – 3rd – Big Shots Huntington – Huntington, WV or OFF
July 14th – 15th Big Shots Myrtle Beach 2 Live – Myrtle Beach, SC
July 21st – 22nd – Big Shots DC Premier Live – Washington D.C.
July 26th – 27th – Big Shots Florida Live 1 – Deerfield Beach, FL

HamPorter
All Conference

Post by HamPorter »

Good luck! This looks like a really cool opportunity to learn under a very good basketball mind.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

AustinCunningham wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:02 am MOV Blue Schedule

May 12th – 13th – OFF
May 26th – 27th - 16th Annual Kings Island Memorial Day Madness – Cincinnati, OH
A couple questions. Where will you hold practices? How many players will you have on your Roster? Any idea when tryouts will be?

AustinCunningham
Waterboy

1) Our first option is usually Parkersburg Catholic HS which we can get most of the time and if not Marietta College
2) We are looking to have 8-10 players on the roster
3) With the schedule having so much travel we lost some players from last year that play spring sports as well football players for the July tournaments. The last two tournaments in April and last three tournaments in July are considered "Live" events where hundreds of college coaches get the chance to watch the tournaments. So to answer that third question I don't know if there will be a tryout unless I get more interest that is able to commit. If there is a tryout it would hopefully be in between regional final and start tournament to give most the opportunity to tryout

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

AustinCunningham wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:17 am 1) Our first option is usually Parkersburg Catholic HS which we can get most of the time and if not Marietta College
2) We are looking to have 8-10 players on the roster
3) With the schedule having so much travel we lost some players from last year that play spring sports as well football players for the July tournaments. The last two tournaments in April and last three tournaments in July are considered "Live" events where hundreds of college coaches get the chance to watch the tournaments. So to answer that third question I don't know if there will be a tryout unless I get more interest that is able to commit. If there is a tryout it would hopefully be in between regional final and start tournament to give most the opportunity to tryout
Thank you! I have one more question that came to mind. Can a sophomore tryout if he is at the appropriate skill level and can compete with the 17
Year Olds?

E High
All State

Post by E High »

So I guess some of that interfers with their high school team for part of late May to early July ? I've been a supporter for AAU , but when it affects high school teams , I draw the line . 90 % of these kids can't play D-3 basketball , but AAU has become shattered dream for many ! Parents and players enjoy some of this ride, but please be realistic ! good luck to all, rooting for the process, but buyers beware .

AustinCunningham
Waterboy

E High wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:06 am So I guess some of that interfers with their high school team for part of late May to early July ? I've been a supporter for AAU , but when it affects high school teams , I draw the line . 90 % of these kids can't play D-3 basketball , but AAU has become shattered dream for many ! Parents and players enjoy some of this ride, but please be realistic ! good luck to all, rooting for the process, but buyers beware .
Not sure I agree with this at all! "90% of these kids can't play D-3 basketball" is just disrespectful. I'm not sure if you're talking about whole teams or just the kids that actually want to play in college. I'm not on here looking for the kid at the end of the bench that played to hang out with his friends, I'm talking about kids who want to play at the next level and it doesn't even have to be basketball. For one most organized high school programs have their summer schedules set before school ends so families can plan around other sports, vacations, etc. I also don't know of many basketball coaches scheduling stuff in late May due to Memorial day, high school graduations, graduation parties, etc. Our program in June is set to be off depending on our teams high school schedule we might sneak in a tournament that first weekend in June (doubt it). June is usually jam packed with summer league, team camps, etc. Eastern Ohio Team Camp took me to Las Vegas twice to play when I was in high school there with my high school team. I didn't have an AAU team to play on that went to these tournaments nor could I afford it if I wanted to. Unfortunately college coaches aren't coming to southeast Ohio to watch summer league so you have to get out of the box and get your name out there. I have connections in the OAC (D3), MEC (D2), and GMAC (D2). I'm not out here selling dreams to kids. If i did that I would charge them and outrageous price to go to these tournaments which are around $700 and tell them they are going D1. My goal is to give kids the opportunity I never had, help market them, teach them what I did to not only reach the next level, but be a successful student athlete as well.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Are you teaching them how to hit last second lucky shots while breaking hearts of the opposing teams fan base? Cause you were pretty good at that. Haha

AustinCunningham
Waterboy

93Bulldog wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:01 pm Are you teaching them how to hit last second lucky shots while breaking hearts of the opposing teams fan base? Cause you were pretty good at that. Haha
Hahahahah those are dreams I don't mind shattering :lol: :lol: :lol: Adam Blake up at Concord coaching right now got us at the convo with less then ten seconds. Not quite at the buzzer, but I'm sure I felt the same you did!! haha

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

E High wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:06 am So I guess some of that interfers with their high school team for part of late May to early July ? I've been a supporter for AAU , but when it affects high school teams , I draw the line . 90 % of these kids can't play D-3 basketball , but AAU has become shattered dream for many ! Parents and players enjoy some of this ride, but please be realistic ! good luck to all, rooting for the process, but buyers beware .
Seems to me AAU is a choice. There is no one trying to sell you snake oil and make you think your kid is a superstar to get your money. And it appears this program is not charging you any upfront money to play as they have Sponsors. This is unheard of, especially in Southeast Ohio-most programs I see are charging $400-700 dollars just to play and that is sometimes to play in tournaments that aren't even the "exposure" type. HS sports or any extra-curricular activity are Choices. Kids engage in them because they want to. It Seems like AAU gives players a Chance to have fun playing a game they love or they wouldn't be doing it. Seems like you play better competition in AAU which ultimately can make you better. Sure there may be costs associated with travel, but that Is a choice! As in taking a family vacation that is also a choice. I like the opportunities of an AAU program where families can travel together and stay in hotels and see new places together, all while their son or daughter plays a game they love. And yes the chances of getting scholarships or being noticed out of Southeast Ohio are slim, but at least with an AAU program your chances are better than hoping a college coach will come to a little old gym in Nelsontucky Ohio to watch you play. It's just not going to happen. I'm glad this team is reaching out to players in SEOHIO who otherwise wouldn't get the chance, to play a schedule like this. The only other options are mostly in Columbus.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

AustinCunningham wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:08 pm
93Bulldog wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:01 pm Are you teaching them how to hit last second lucky shots while breaking hearts of the opposing teams fan base? Cause you were pretty good at that. Haha
Hahahahah those are dreams I don't mind shattering :lol: :lol: :lol: Adam Blake up at Concord coaching right now got us at the convo with less then ten seconds. Not quite at the buzzer, but I'm sure I felt the same you did!! haha
I was there. You didn't hear the guy yelling 'KARMA' from the upper bowl??? Lol

PowerLifitingNut
Riding the Bench

Post by PowerLifitingNut »

What I don't like about AAU is that it also interferes with other sports. It leads to kids "specializing" in one sport chasing that dream of playing at the next level. But that dream almost never comes true. Meanwhile, they are missing out on great experiences in other high school sports. But as VQ stated, it's a choice. :mrgreen:

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

PowerLifitingNut wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:43 pm
What I don't like about AAU is that it also interferes with other sports. It leads to kids "specializing" in one sport chasing that dream of playing at the next level. But that dream almost never comes true. Meanwhile, they are missing out on great experiences in other high school sports. But as VQ stated, it's a choice. :mrgreen:
And who is to say "chasing a dream" is a bad thing? As long as you are realistic about the odds. Nothing ventured nothing gained IMO. And what about the memories you create along the way, the experiences and striving to be the best you can be and playing tougher competition because there is always someone out there better than you are. Sports and extra curricular activities keep kids engaged and disciplined and focused on Goals. And from every experience good or bad there is always something to be learned. Again AAU is a choice and an opportunity and no-one is twisting kids arms to play, if it may interfere with another sport they love they shouldn't do it. I would say most generally though things can be worked out between coaches if that would happen.

PowerLifitingNut
Riding the Bench

Post by PowerLifitingNut »

VisionQuest wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:23 pm
And who is to say "chasing a dream" is a bad thing? As long as you are realistic about the odds. Nothing ventured nothing gained IMO. And what about the memories you create along the way, the experiences and striving to be the best you can be and playing tougher competition because there is always someone out there better than you are. Sports and extra curricular activities keep kids engaged and disciplined and focused on Goals. And from every experience good or bad there is always something to be learned. Again AAU is a choice and an opportunity and no-one is twisting kids arms to play, if it may interfere with another sport they love they shouldn't do it. I would say most generally though things can be worked out between coaches if that would happen.
Hold on here a minute, I thought this AAU thing was because no college coaches are coming to "Nelsontucky" to see these kids play. :mrgreen:

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

PowerLifitingNut wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:40 pm
VisionQuest wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:23 pm

Hold on here a minute, I thought this AAU thing was because no college coaches are coming to "Nelsontucky" to see these kids play. :mrgreen:
Not sure what you are inferring. But that is just one aspect. There are several other reasons to play if you love the Game.

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

AustinCunningham wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:02 am MOV Blue Schedule

May 12th – 13th – OFF
A fantastic schedule but with high dollar requirements . Sponsors paying for expenses does that cross the line in anyway ? Just asking because I do not know . When I coached AAU we had sponsor money for entry fees but all other expenses had to be from fund raisers and parents . Has this changed ?

Return to “Boys Basketball”