Feb 3rd oak hill @ coal grove

Oaktown
Freshman Team

Re: Feb 3rd oak hill @ coal grove

Post by Oaktown »

CGFAN#1 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:19 pm
Oaktown wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:55 pm
Steve91 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:29 pm Hornet81, I'm on the staff! Who did he point finger at? I didn't see it.
I think it was the athletic director. He was probably telling him Oak Hill would never play another game in that gym. If you can't have a fairly officiated contest why would you subject yourself to that when it's an out of league game. Simply don't put that game on the schedule anymore.

Congratulations to the Coal Grove players. They played a very good game and the Oaks lacked in some areas tonight. They should do well in the post season and I wish them the best of luck.

Im not going to get on here and make a lot of excuses, but what I will say is that was an absolute disgace to all the good officials in Southeastern Ohio. If I were Coach Persin I would definitely submit that game film to the state for review. That crew needs demoted back to JV or even the biddie league ranks. They have no business refereeing High School Varsity games.

As he said there was laughing and joking with Coal Grove players, coaches, their crowd and even huddling together on the court and having discussions during the game. That is against OHSAA rules and should be reported. That was the most unprofessional crew I have ever watched officiate.
To say officiating impacted the result of this game is ridiculous. I believe the fouls were even. OH likely shot more free throws. CG also had more turnovers.
In regard to the behavior of the losing coach after the game my daughter and others heard him say choice words an adult should not say in front of children.
This was a good game and CG should be proud of their effort and I am sure OH will learn from the loss.
Good luck to both teams moving forward.
Go Big Grove!
Oak Hill probably did shoot more free throws. Coal Grove was intentionally fouling the last 90 seconds of regulation and putting them on the line to keep it close. Outside of that it was very lopsided.

As for the rose colored glasses comment above. I would encourage anyone that wasn't there to get yourself a copy of this game film and make your own opinions and don't listen to ours. Fans come across biased and I get that. I am confident anyone that watches this will be blown away with just how bad it was.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

Always interesting to hear banter about the referees.

I watched a game at Oak Hill just a few years ago where the home team was whistled for 3 fouls the entire contest. 3.

Great win for the Hornets.

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
bc181700
Freshman Team

Post by bc181700 »

You all are making an assumption that Oak Hill’s loss impacts me, it does not impact me in any way. My children don’t play in any high school sport, nor am I from either of these schools.

I stated that CG earned the win in the 4Q and OT, OT was called completely square.
But any person who has ever played, coached, officiated and watched 1,000+ basketball games has earned the right to state a fact.

Before you so quickly reference me as a crier, grab the game film and look through unbiased glasses of your own. The “outcome” may not have been different, but the influence on the game was obvious. Any true basketball fan fully understands officiating influences, the rest of you who cannot handle unbiased opinions can continue to troll along as Grade schoolers.

Pirate84
Waterboy

Post by Pirate84 »

∆∆ would like to see a film of game..sounds like it was a good one...was only stating what you commented about that fans can be biased. Obviously everyone has differing opinions on some things. I believe both teams are very good & will make deep runs in there respective divisions of the tournament

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Scoring totals? Any stats?

Big win for CG...this loss will likely help team OH

ANYTHINGGOES1332
Waterboy

Post by ANYTHINGGOES1332 »

Pirate84 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:44 pm ∆∆ would like to see a film of game..sounds like it was a good one...was only stating what you commented about that fans can be biased. Obviously everyone has differing opinions on some things. I believe both teams are very good & will make deep runs in there respective divisions of the tournament
Of course, only a Pirate fan continues to bash Oak Hill. I try to go to surrounding school games when I have the weekend off. I chose this game because I felt it would be two great teams battling for the win and that's what it was. As for the officiating, I would have to agree with most comments. Not the best that I've seen this year. Officials are to remain neutral and call a good game. This seems to be a continuous problem anymore.

Both of these teams should do well in tournaments.

SchmidtHappens
Waterboy

Post by SchmidtHappens »

bc181700 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:31 pm Well, I don't have a kid on either team, and I'm not from either school (but I pull for Jackson County teams typically).

That was a great game to watch, but some of you prepubescent schoolgirls from CG need to relax on you Instagram comments for this forum. Don't taint the fantastic accomplishment that your CG team just made by your banter online.

CG played excellent. They made the shots that were required to win the game (including a fall-down 3 pointer from 27 ft that banked in at end of reg to push OT). Their D was also very good. OH couldn't throw the ball in the ocean, and CG took full advantage, as any good team should.

OH's defense was the worst I've seen in watching any game they've played in recent years.

With that said, I also officiate, and for anyone at this game (prepubescent Instagram'ers excluded), they should realize that this was a shame of a High School officiating display. I know how difficult it is, so I don't make comments like this typically, but this 1st half should be reviewed by OSHAA. The object of officiating is to call a game that does not influence the outcome of a game, and that was not the situation tonight. Side conversations with one team's coaches before, during and at halftime, as well as with that team's players, just cannot happen. That gives a horrific perception, especially when the calls are not equal. That is something that we just cannot do.

Last, OH taking a loss isn't the end of their world. I'm old school, so I think everyone needs punched in the mouth before tournament time... and OH took a nasty right hook tonight.

Good luck to both squads going into post season, I hope they both win state titles.
Well if you root for Jackson county then Oak Hill is perfect. They have about all Jackson county represented on the squad...

bhicks42
Freshman Team

Post by bhicks42 »

Any opinion on the no call where the OH player was over and back by at least two feet when they were down 2 with about 20 seconds left? I’m sure that’s on film. Apparently Norm doesn’t like losing to Coal Grove. He’s probably 45-1 against them now, I would guess. Oh and the finger in the chest after the game, I have it on video. It happenened!

ANYTHINGGOES1332
Waterboy

Post by ANYTHINGGOES1332 »

SchmidtHappens wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:37 pm
bc181700 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:31 pm Well, I don't have a kid on either team, and I'm not from either school (but I pull for Jackson County teams typically).

That was a great game to watch, but some of you prepubescent schoolgirls from CG need to relax on you Instagram comments for this forum. Don't taint the fantastic accomplishment that your CG team just made by your banter online.

CG played excellent. They made the shots that were required to win the game (including a fall-down 3 pointer from 27 ft that banked in at end of reg to push OT). Their D was also very good. OH couldn't throw the ball in the ocean, and CG took full advantage, as any good team should.

OH's defense was the worst I've seen in watching any game they've played in recent years.

With that said, I also officiate, and for anyone at this game (prepubescent Instagram'ers excluded), they should realize that this was a shame of a High School officiating display. I know how difficult it is, so I don't make comments like this typically, but this 1st half should be reviewed by OSHAA. The object of officiating is to call a game that does not influence the outcome of a game, and that was not the situation tonight. Side conversations with one team's coaches before, during and at halftime, as well as with that team's players, just cannot happen. That gives a horrific perception, especially when the calls are not equal. That is something that we just cannot do.

Last, OH taking a loss isn't the end of their world. I'm old school, so I think everyone needs punched in the mouth before tournament time... and OH took a nasty right hook tonight.

Good luck to both squads going into post season, I hope they both win state titles.
Well if you root for Jackson county then Oak Hill is perfect. They have about all Jackson county represented on the squad...

It amazes me how you point out Oak Hill has players that moved in but you forget about your own move ins. Burg got a kid from Webster this year. Coal Grove got a boy who previously went to Symmes Valley. OHSAA allows kids to do this! If parents want a better program for their kid, that's their right.

laser breath
Varsity

Post by laser breath »

bhicks42 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:53 pm Any opinion on the no call where the OH player was over and back by at least two feet when they were down 2 with about 20 seconds left? I’m sure that’s on film. Apparently Norm doesn’t like losing to Coal Grove. He’s probably 45-1 against them now, I would guess. Oh and the finger in the chest after the game, I have it on video. It happenened!
I could see it happening easy. Norm is a great coach and passionate about the game but he can be a complete jerk sometimes, especially to officiating.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... interesting that I'm reading all of "this and that" about the game that Coal Grove won in overtime , at home over Oak Hill BUT nothing has been said about that fact that Brett Long did not see the floor ! when you go against a quality team as Coal Grove IS, ANY team needs to have its' full arsenal of 5 starters ... Brett Long is a MAJOR piece on the Oak Hill TEAM ... I'm surprised that it went into OT without Long playing for OHHS tonight ... yes HE IS THAT IMPORTANT to the success of the Oaks ... a heck of a basketball player ... hopefully Brett can get back in the lineup sooner than later for Oak Hill .

Steve91
Waterboy

Post by Steve91 »

Hey Anythinggoes, we did get A player back from Symmes Valley. He has went to Coal Grove through elementary and left his Junior year to go to Symmes Valley. So, he just came back to his home school. I coached him at Coal Grove as a Freshman and He started for our varsity as a sophomore. Nice try bro!
Last edited by Steve91 on Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sopump33
Waterboy

Post by Sopump33 »

COAL GROVE RUlES OAK HILL DROOLS😂😂😂

Sopump33
Waterboy

Post by Sopump33 »

P Floyd is bias to Oak Hill

Noitall
JV Team

Post by Noitall »

Hate to say I told youvso ,but ,I told you so ,regular season weak league playing chest thumpers. You can't even beat the ovc number three team ,Norm would need a diaper change if he tangled with their number 1 . THUMP ON -!!

Norm with the finger in the chest is norm being norm ,everyone knows the real norm by now ,things he can just push people around and can't take a loss like a man.

I've heard excuses from refs. Best us,we had players out and the popcorn was stale,the hornets had two cheerleader out sick so its even.

Take the loss,own up to it and move the hell on,you got beat by a better team and your boy got out coached.

bc181700
Freshman Team

Post by bc181700 »

bhicks42 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:53 pm Any opinion on the no call where the OH player was over and back by at least two feet when they were down 2 with about 20 seconds left? I’m sure that’s on film. Apparently Norm doesn’t like losing to Coal Grove. He’s probably 45-1 against them now, I would guess. Oh and the finger in the chest after the game, I have it on video. It happenened!
You are correct, it was definitely a backcourt violation by about a foot, I do have on film.
And the following 5-second call was about 3 seconds, rightfully so, the official corrected his miss. Difficult to catch every call at that point in a game, it was fast paced.

Hornetz_Fan32
Freshman Team

Post by Hornetz_Fan32 »

Go Big Grove! Congratulations

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

bc181700 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:10 am
You are correct, it was definitely a backcourt violation by about a foot, I do have on film.
And the following 5-second call was about 3 seconds, rightfully so, the official corrected his miss. Difficult to catch every call at that point in a game, it was fast paced.
You film games when you have no one playing and your kids don't even go to oak hill ?

That's a dedication !

Getting Older
Riding the Bench

Post by Getting Older »

There are good officials and bad officials. Everyone has had both at different times..Dont think for a minute that Norm hasn't had calls that went in his favor at home Manny many times has had other coaches down through the years..get over it. The kids play the game the kids win it or lose it. I know for a fact Mike Hughes years ago paid officials way more than the average pay was. I wonder why that was..people think Norm is God.He isn't but he is a good coach. He has many wins and he knows who yo schedule and he's also a very good recruiter.CG won in a hard fought game. It could have gone either way. Give credit where credit is due

Noitall
JV Team

Post by Noitall »

How many trips to the state has norm made in his career,how many people district, regional etc.?
He hated s had some of the best talent in the area for sure ,what has he done with it in his career that makes him a GREAT coach?

Norm schedule weak opponents on the out of league schedule that he knows he can win,coal grove back fired, the hornets have a great team and coach .

Regular season weak league playing ,CHEST THUMPERS.

Bring the crying towel out of the closet ,you need it.

Return to “Boys Basketball”