Chillicothe @ VC 2/6

Amock0905
Freshman Team

Chillicothe @ VC 2/6

Post by Amock0905 »

Thoughts and predictions? Which Vinton county team will show up the team that beat Alexander at the alley or the team that got shutdown by Logan

The 24 year drought is over! 🏈🏆
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Re: Chillicothe @ VC 2/6

Post by pfloyd »

Will be one of those barometer games we always talk about - this one will be for VC ... everyone is back for the Vikings now, have been for 2 weeks - with the seeding coming up, the post season a few weeks away ... VC will need to be coming together , morphing into that team I thought they would be in the preseason ... Tristan Bartoe is now in the rear view mirror - running the show is now in the hands of Jake Speakman ... the questionmark all season has been at the defensive end for VC - where do they stand ? Chillicothe will test them for sure ... Chilli doesn't put up many treys but have quickness at every position to get out and run the floor ... the Rodericks are tenacious on the boards ... it will be an all around good game for VC to play at this juncture in the season and where they stand with their BIGS inside being able to contribute on the scoreboard ...

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Hard to say....Jackson played both these teams very well. Chillicothe seems a bit better but it’s close and VC at home winning won’t surprise anyone. I think if it gets over 65 VC wins, under Chillicothe wins

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Ironman92 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:20 pm Hard to say....Jackson played both these teams very well. Chillicothe seems a bit better but it’s close and VC at home winning won’t surprise anyone. I think if it gets over 65 VC wins, under Chillicothe wins
... I think you are right about the scoring side and who that favors ... it should be a good game !

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

I think IF the Cavs are in a higher scoring game it will be that they have turned VC over on the perimeter - Maughmer and Maughmer will make you pay at the rim if a team is careless with the ball dribbling or passing ... Coach Huffer has the Cavaliers pressuring the ball more than they were before the New Year portion of the season ...

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Amock0905 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:59 pm Thoughts and predictions? Which Vinton county team will show up the team that beat Alexander at the alley or the team that got shutdown by Logan
Well, those opponents you chose are on completely different levels and Yates (x2) were out for that Logan game anyways.

The key to beating Chillicothe is to make them beat you from the outside and keep them out of the lane. This will be a really interesting game.

Bronc21
All Conference

Post by Bronc21 »

I’m not sure if one of the Roderick brothers won’t play. He left Saturdays game at warren with an ankle injury. I think it was Will.

Amock0905
Freshman Team

Post by Amock0905 »

Vinton County came out flat in this game not getting back on defense down 26-9 after 1

Amock0905
Freshman Team

Post by Amock0905 »

42-31 at halftime big 2nd quarter by VC

Amock0905
Freshman Team

Post by Amock0905 »

Vinton County is still down

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

Update??

Ohio1234
JV Team

Post by Ohio1234 »

Chillicothe wins 76-60 good win for the cavs Branden Maughmer with 30 points and his baby brother adding 21 to the mix. Speakman for vc led all scorers with 32

vcgrad
All Conference

Post by vcgrad »

Not until Coach Combs figures out that against good teams, that you have to have more than two guys score. He has never tried to use his inside game at all this year and its going to cost him again in the playoffs.

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

danicalifornia wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:01 pm
Amock0905 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:59 pm Thoughts and predictions? Which Vinton county team will show up the team that beat Alexander at the alley or the team that got shutdown by Logan
Well, those opponents you chose are on completely different levels and Yates (x2) were out for that Logan game anyways.

The key to beating Chillicothe is to make them beat you from the outside and keep them out of the lane. This will be a really interesting game.
The team that beat Alex can not play with Chilly. To even put Alex as a barometer between Chilli and Logan is laughable

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

danicalifornia wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:01 pm

Yes. We knew this.
pfloyd wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:28 pm I think IF the Cavs are in a higher scoring game it will be that they have turned VC over on the perimeter - Maughmer and Maughmer will make you pay at the rim if a team is careless with the ball dribbling or passing ... Coach Huffer has the Cavaliers pressuring the ball more than they were before the New Year portion of the season ...

Their pressure was not an issue, if anything, it gave us more opportunities to score by speeding us up.
vcgrad wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:51 am Not until Coach Combs figures out that against good teams, that you have to have more than two guys score. He has never tried to use his inside game at all this year and its going to cost him again in the playoffs.
First, I am not sure where I want to start with this asinine statement. You don't win 300 games by not "figuring out" match-ups, strength and weakness. More often than not, those "two guys" are usually the best players on the floor. However, they need each other as it was evident last night. As to what happened last night was not the lack of post presence, but rather us getting down early and taking us out of our game plan. Which one, was to play zone. You cannot allow Brandon Maughmer attack the rim, which is what they did, the Cavs spread the floor and he and his God-given athletic ability lived at the rim. He had 30 points, that included 4 "and 1's" and 10 free throws, his other 20 points were from 2 to 3 feet away.

But give the Cavs credit, they came out and shadowed Naylan, not necessarily face-guarded but made it tough for him to get the ball. That gave Jake the room to work within the lane, thus his 32 points, 24 from five feet or less, and 8 free-throws. Jake also had two "and 1's" and should have had more. At one point, we had the game cut to six points, and lost the younger Maughmer who had a big 3rd quarter, to see the Vikings losing the third quarter.

As far as post-presence, both Eli and Bryce played well. Cameron, had early foul trouble. Eli finished with 8 points and Bryce with five. Therefore, vcgrad, our problem wasn't really offensively, my goodness we scored 60 points against that very athletic team, the problem was, we gave up 76, including 26 in the first quarter. I believe that if were able to play zone, we don't allow Brandon Maughmer in the lane and we have a fighting chance to win. But because we got down 17 after the first quarter, the game plan went out the window.

vcgrad
All Conference

Post by vcgrad »

I see your point, but it looks to me that even to play zone, we still don't rebound nor do we move to the ball. How many open shots did Chillicothe get against us while we where in a zone. If we play man to man---and not switch every time---- (which is a match up zone basically) a good team finds the mis-matches. Do you ever see Jake or Naylan come out of the game????? Even if they make mistakes or not playing hard???? I know the rest of the team does. He will pull anyone else out-in a heart beat-----you have to treat the players the same in front of them or it will start a riff between them.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

vcgrad wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:15 pm I see your point, but it looks to me that even to play zone, we still don't rebound nor do we move to the ball. How many open shots did Chillicothe get against us while we where in a zone. If we play man to man---and not switch every time---- (which is a match up zone basically) a good team finds the mis-matches. Do you ever see Jake or Naylan come out of the game????? Even if they make mistakes or not playing hard???? I know the rest of the team does. He will pull anyone else out-in a heart beat-----you have to treat the players the same in front of them or it will start a riff between them.
Did Maughmer come out of the game last night? Has he came out of a game all season? Swackhammer and Kennedy rarely come out for Unioto, Swingle never comes out for Paint Valley, Perdue for Piketon. Sometimes you trust your best players to make up for any mistakes and rarely do Seniors who put in as much time as the VC kids or the ones I mentioned ever not play hard. I would trust Coach Combs in an instant when it comes to his team.

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

Combs is past this. He has earned the benefit of the doubt in his coaching decisions. VC lost to a very good Chillicothe basketball team . It happens over a 22 game season. End of story

vcgrad
All Conference

Post by vcgrad »

I guess from not seeing all the games, it looks as if he does not use the full team , Eli seemed to score at will, then they stopped giving him the ball. Just does not seem that the team will go far, just depending on 2 guys scoring 90% of the points. To easy to focus (for another team) to stop them. From my point of view too much --"I need to get my points" seen way to many bad shots last night. We will not win by trying to outscore everyone else, I did see the Zane Trace game and we seemed more focused and played as a team and played a slower paced game. I think we might look back at that style. It worked--we did not live a die by the "3".

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

vcgrad wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:06 pm I guess from not seeing all the games, it looks as if he does not use the full team , Eli seemed to score at will, then they stopped giving him the ball. Just does not seem that the team will go far, just depending on 2 guys scoring 90% of the points. To easy to focus (for another team) to stop them. From my point of view too much --"I need to get my points" seen way to many bad shots last night. We will not win by trying to outscore everyone else, I did see the Zane Trace game and we seemed more focused and played as a team and played a slower paced game. I think we might look back at that style. It worked--we did not live a die by the "3".
Zane Trace lost to Western Pike...Chillicothe just a different game and matchup

Return to “Boys Basketball”