Chillicothe @ VC 2/6

vcgrad
All Conference

Re: Chillicothe @ VC 2/6

Post by vcgrad »

True-- but still have to play to your strength--and it seems we do not have any leadership on the court.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

vcgrad wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:06 pm I guess from not seeing all the games, it looks as if he does not use the full team , Eli seemed to score at will, then they stopped giving him the ball. Just does not seem that the team will go far, just depending on 2 guys scoring 90% of the points. To easy to focus (for another team) to stop them. From my point of view too much --"I need to get my points" seen way to many bad shots last night. We will not win by trying to outscore everyone else, I did see the Zane Trace game and we seemed more focused and played as a team and played a slower paced game. I think we might look back at that style. It worked--we did not live a die by the "3".
The two Maughmers scored 51(67% of their teams points) and they won by 16.

Newland and Swingle scored 54 of 76 last night for Paint Valley.

The best players score the points in high school basketball.

vcgrad
All Conference

Post by vcgrad »

True- but our team can't win by trying to outscore the other team. Speakman had 32, and we still got beat by almost 20.

HamPorter
All Conference

Post by HamPorter »

Isn't the point of basketball to literally score more points than the other team to win? Someone has to score those points and when you get down 15 after a quarter, you've got to catch up on some way.

HamPorter
All Conference

Post by HamPorter »

By the way, the Vikings only attempted 10 3pointers last night, so I'm not sure that is living and dying by the 3.

vcgrad
All Conference

Post by vcgrad »

And made how many? I guess I would also and bad shots---one pass and up--not making Chillicothe have to play defense. I don't remember them firing shots up as soon as they got the ball across have court. They made us play defense, then we would break down and they would score. Still not sure why we switch everything on defense.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

vcgrad wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:15 pm I see your point, but it looks to me that even to play zone, we still don't rebound nor do we move to the ball. How many open shots did Chillicothe get against us while we where in a zone. If we play man to man---and not switch every time---- (which is a match up zone basically) a good team finds the mis-matches. Do you ever see Jake or Naylan come out of the game????? Even if they make mistakes or not playing hard???? I know the rest of the team does. He will pull anyone else out-in a heart beat-----you have to treat the players the same in front of them or it will start a riff between them.
I don't think you see my point. In my opinion, based on this discussion, you seemed to be concern with other players as opposed to what and how the team is doing. I am going to take your response one sentence at a time.

Again, when we play zone, it can be formidable, because of our length. But yes, sometimes you will have breakdowns in the zone, but our philosophy is make them earn it over a contested shot from 20 feet as to being in the lane with someone like Brandon Maughmer. In fact, he shot two threes last night and with all due respect, they were bricks. However, his younger brother made two threes and is a very good shooter. When we play man, we want to switch, because one, we want to be the more aggressive team, two, it is harder for high school teams to exploit that mis-matches, and finally, we usually get more deflections and turnovers by switching.

Here are the number from last night; the Cavs made 26 two's, 2 threes, and 18 free-throws of 22 attempts, the Vikings on the other hand, made 20 two's, 2 three's and 14 free-throws of 22 attempts. As I stated, we lost this game in the paint, simply our inability to keep Maughmer out of it. A zone would have helped.

As far as Jake and Naylan coming out of the game, they both came out at different times in last night's game. Sometimes, it is just to get a break, a moment to offer encouragement, and/or foul trouble. But, in order for us to win, those two have to be on the floor. A side note; do you think Lebron James gets treated different than Ante Zizic?

Mistakes, basketball game is a game of mistakes. Think about it, basketball is an accuracy game, played at a rapid pace. Mistakes will be made. It is usually the team that makes the least mistakes that wins.

I disagree, I have never, and I am sure that Coach Combs has never questioned this team's effort. That is what they do, they play hard every game. It has been a staple of a Coach Combs' team since 2000-2001. He has never pull kids from games because they made a mistake, most generally, the substitutions are predetermined and usually in patterns, depending on the match-ups.

Furthermore, there is no "riff" on this team. Because they all want the same thing, and that is to win. In fact, I know Jake scored 32 last night, but he would be the first to tell you that he would trade every point for a win. Bailey, Noah, and Shawn are perfect examples, they know their role, they play their butts off, and would sacrifice any individual glory for a team win. That is the culture that Coach Combs as built here. The day we lose that, is the day we may be finding a new coach.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

If is so easy vcgrad, please volunteer at the youth level. Bring your knowledge of the game to the table and teach. Anyone can be an arm chair quarterback, but those in the arena, know the time, the sacrifice, the pain, the effort, and any other obstacle it takes to become successful. And there can't be, at this point, any argument to the success that Coach Combs has brought to this county. If, you question that, then you have your own selfish agenda. I am done with this discussion, for it is pointless.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... What was the turnover stat for both teams last night ?

Last edited by pfloyd on Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

Unofficially, (we haven't confirmed with the film yet), but six apiece.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

Here is the Chillicothe perspective.

http://www.chillicothegazette.com/story ... 314052002/

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

hawkeyepierce wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:05 pm Unofficially, (we haven't confirmed with the film yet), but six apiece.
... with the speed on BOTH sides THAT is a great stat on both sides ! ...

vcgrad
All Conference

Post by vcgrad »

What I am trying to get relay is if we don't play as a team --we won't go far-- Against Chillicothe we had 6 assist for the whole game??? They had 18. They moved the ball --we didn't --too much one on one------have you notice when our top 2 score over 30 or more---we don't win??? Also I do help with the biddy league in VC. I just want us to play the best we can play that's all.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

vcgrad wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:42 pm What I am trying to get relay is if we don't play as a team --we won't go far-- Against Chillicothe we had 6 assist for the whole game??? They had 18. They moved the ball --we didn't
They were the better team on that night. Plus their transition game allowed for more assists.

Jake leads the team with 90 plus assists, approximately 5 a game. Naylan is averaging 2 a game. Everyone on the team has at least one assist. This team PLAYS AS A TEAM.

How far do you expect? If you haven't been paying attention, the DII Southeast Sectional and Districts is very tough. In 2016, we won district title by beating, in order, a 6 seed, 2 seed, 1 seed, and 1 seed, only to lose to eventual state champion. Last year, we had to go through an 8 seed, 4 seed, 2 seed, and 2 seed, before losing in the regional finals. Years like these are not commonplace. I think we have gotten spoiled over the past few years by watching some 20 point blow-outs. It is simply not going to happen every year. Things happen, like injuries, and teams are different year in and year out. For example, I project that next year team will probably have four kids averaging 12 points a game. Will that translate to wins? I can't say. But our effort on the defensive end will have more to do with the number of wins we achieve than our output on the offensive end.

Sometimes, it is easy to get caught up on who scores what. But, in reality that is newspaper fodder. Every team has roles that have to be played. There are scoring roles, there are leadership roles, there are defensive roles, there are rebounding roles, heck, there are just being a great teammate roles, but because it may look like that Johnny shoots more than Jimmy, and poor old Jackie doesn't really score at all that there is something wrong. THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG. I will give you an example; just recently, at Alexander, Bailey Bartoe played maybe 3 minutes the entire game, but those 3 minutes were the difference in between a loss and a win. He had a key block, two rebounds, and late in overtime, a forced turnover, that gave us back the ball. Will that show up in the newspaper, or on Hardwood Heroes? No. But, I can assure without his effort, WE DON'T WIN.

vcgrad wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:42 pm --too much one on one------
For the untrained eye, it may seem that way. We run a dribble drive offense. We are constantly attacking the elbows in order to put pressure on the defense and make them choose. Once a ball-handler attacks, he has to decide if he can get to the rim, if not, does he have the dump to a big man, or he kicks it out, and then he gets out of the way, to allow that new player with the ball to attack. After a bit of attacking, the defense breaks down and they have to choose what to guard. We have ran this offense for the last six seasons.
vcgrad wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:42 pmhave you notice when our top 2 score over 30 or more---we don't win???
That is not true, at all. Jake and Naylan are averaging 19 points apiece. That is 38 points and we have won 12 games. If you mean, one scores 30 or more, that is not true either. Naylan had 34 against Zane Trace and New Hope, both wins. Jake had 42 against Nelsonville, played without Naylan, and 32 against Chillicothe, but again, Chillicothe was the better team, they made adjustments and they made plays. You will have that. So to make blanket statements like these is incredulous.
vcgrad wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:42 pmAlso I do help with the biddy league in VC.
Thank you for your community service.
vcgrad wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:42 pmI just want us to play the best we can play that's all.
Don't we all?

Return to “Boys Basketball”