Only 2 from Warren have over 1,000? That's crazy

CavalierAlum05
Varsity

Re: Top 5 All-Time from your school

Post by CavalierAlum05 »

Chillicothe Cavaliers

1. Anthony Hitchens 2008 - All time Ross County scoring leader. State Champion

2. Mark Bayless -1974? Went on to play at OSU

3. Garin Veris - 1981? Probably the greatest athlete to ever play at Chillicothe

Throw in a ton of names to round out the top 5 but these 3 stick out.

WarriorBlue
Varsity

Post by WarriorBlue »

HamPorter wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:43 am Only 2 from Warren have over 1,000? That's crazy
Very very few kids at Warren play varsity as 9th or 10th graders. Back during the 70’s & 80’s this almost NEVER occurred.
French and Hall both dressed varsity as freshmen and started varsity as sophomores.

Bret Wrightsel
Riding the Bench

Post by Bret Wrightsel »

Chillicothe in no particular order But I feel Mark Bayless was best ever and Garin Veris, Humpty Hitchens, Gordon Mickey, Neil Johnston, are all in the CHS Hall of Fame.

Jeep/pirate
Waterboy

Post by Jeep/pirate »

Went to both SW and The burg and seen a lot of great talents from both schools. I’m not going by stats because that doesn’t tell the story for some of these talents.

South Webster
1. Aldridge - big physical kid who could do it all, run pass shoot and rebound to sum it all up he’s about as good of a power forward this area has ever seen. State Champ, D1 player, Played professionally
2. Roberts 6’8 jump shooter played d1, drafted in the nba draft but chose the wrong sport
3.Justin Lower quick, lights out shooting and relentless Scoring machine, had little to no talent to work with played naia and should’ve stayed with the game longer
4.)Josh Campbell - crazy good defender, strong, fast, lights out shooting and probably one of the better players in the area after school, state champ, played naia
5. Austin Loop let’s start with smart,long, lights out shooter, district champ ,strong ,played 4 seasons at Marshall and had the most success of any on my list

Burg
1.) Andrew Burleson Big, Strong ran like a deer and was a athlete first, let’s just say a athletic freak,multiple district titles, played d1 could of definitely went over seas
2.) Drew Spradlin super basketball smart long, strong and a lights out shooter, 4 year starter, multiple final fours played d1 ,
3.) Cam Miller super long and lanky ball skills, lights out shooter played d1 an naia played over seas multiple final fours
4.) John Eaton was only told of how good he was not sure on his statistics or achievements
5.) Seth Cowgill super athletic, fast , probably the most talent as far as basketball as any on burgs top5 played with 2 on the list so his stats was probably not as good as some of these guys, lights out shooter, crazy wing on ball defender, multiple final fours,

Vito Corleone
Freshman Team

Post by Vito Corleone »

Jeep/pirate wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:38 pm Went to both SW and The burg and seen a lot of great talents from both schools. I’m not going by stats because that doesn’t tell the story for some of these talents.

South Webster
1. Aldridge - big physical kid who could do it all, run pass shoot and rebound to sum it all up he’s about as good of a power forward this area has ever seen. State Champ, D1 player, Played professionally
2. Roberts 6’8 jump shooter played d1, drafted in the nba draft but chose the wrong sport
3.Justin Lower quick, lights out shooting and relentless Scoring machine, had little to no talent to work with played naia and should’ve stayed with the game longer
4.)Josh Campbell - crazy good defender, strong, fast, lights out shooting and probably one of the better players in the area after school, state champ, played naia
5. Austin Loop let’s start with smart,long, lights out shooter, district champ ,strong ,played 4 seasons at Marshall and had the most success of any on my list

Burg
1.) Andrew Burleson Big, Strong ran like a deer and was a athlete first, let’s just say a athletic freak,multiple district titles, played d1 could of definitely went over seas
2.) Drew Spradlin super basketball smart long, strong and a lights out shooter, 4 year starter, multiple final fours played d1 ,
3.) Cam Miller super long and lanky ball skills, lights out shooter played d1 an naia played over seas multiple final fours
4.) John Eaton was only told of how good he was not sure on his statistics or achievements
5.) Seth Cowgill super athletic, fast , probably the most talent as far as basketball as any on burgs top5 played with 2 on the list so his stats was probably not as good as some of these guys, lights out shooter, crazy wing on ball defender, multiple final fours,
Who is Campbell??

Making offers you can't refuse
Jeep/pirate
Waterboy

Post by Jeep/pirate »

Vito Corleone wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:54 pm
Jeep/pirate wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:38 pm Went to both SW and The burg and seen a lot of great talents from both schools. I’m not going by stats because that doesn’t tell the story for some of these talents.

South Webster

Burg
Who is Campbell??

He was the red headed kid. He played from 03 - 07, graduated a year after they won state, was a 3-4 year starter, single handily carried them to the regional finals the year after state, and was a few turnovers away from going back to the final four. The kid was a stud in school but after school he blew up similar to Kyle Miller of Piketon who should be #1 on Piketons list.

Vito Corleone
Freshman Team

Post by Vito Corleone »

Hmm.. I guess I’d remember him if he were one of the top 5 players ever from SW. But, I don’t seem to remember him.
What NAIA school did he play at?

Making offers you can't refuse
HamPorter
All Conference

Post by HamPorter »

Vito Corleone wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:11 am Hmm.. I guess I’d remember him if he were one of the top 5 players ever from SW. But, I don’t seem to remember him.
What NAIA school did he play at?
Can't answer the 2nd part, but he was their 6th man on the State Championship team. Didn't start for 4 years, because I didn't see his name mentioned in the Semi's in what would've been his Freshman year. Was a pretty good player, but I doubt Top 5 ever at SW.

They didn't reach the Regional Finals that next year either, lost by 7 in the Sweet 16.

Gyro-Step
Waterboy

Post by Gyro-Step »

South Webster

Burg
I’m very familiar with these two schools as well... As Vito & Ham mentioned Campbell shouldn’t be on the top 5 list. No disrespect, as he was a very good Hs basketball player. But you can’t justify putting him ahead of two other Jeeps from the same state title team (Brigham Waginger & Jordan Lower). People tend to overlook players who play alongside greats like Aldridge. No issue with the other guys on the list but I’d throw Waginger, Jo. Lower, Eric McClintic, Jeff Bradley, B Dyer, and Michael Coriell into the mix for a top 5 spot. The Jeeps have a very respectable b-ball history for such a small school.

Onto the Burg list, I like that you mentioned Seth Cowgill. He had more skill than other guys he played with that went on to D1, not sure why he didn’t continue his basketball career.... he definitely could have. No issues at all with the Burg list, all those guys were great. But I’m not familiar with Burg b-ball beyond the 90s.

Random thought: Cam Miller grew up at South Webster, playing with the guys on the state champ team as kids before moving away in elementary school. Can you imagine if he was on that team?

Jeep/pirate
Waterboy

Post by Jeep/pirate »

The starting 5 for the 2006 South Webster state team was
Waginger,Lower,Campbell,Aldridge,Decamp. My first part of the post said statistically my top 5 might not make sense - for guys like Campbell and Cowgill both because they played with extremely talented rosters and was both on a team with a professional player in Miller and Aldridge. But both guys were extremely gifted basketball wise, I think both ended up with some off court issues. As far as Miller from Sw I believe he bounced around from Eastern, Minford, Sw and Burg. Minford with Cowgill and Miller there would have been a game changer as Cowgill was actually a Falcon as well.

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

CavalierAlum05 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:41 am Chillicothe Cavaliers

3. Garin Veris - 1981? Probably the greatest athlete to ever play at Chillicothe

Hitchens was a beast. Whatever happen to him

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. (D Jay on Hustle & Flow)

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
EPN
Freshman Team

Post by EPN »

Eastern Pike Eagles

1-Mark Cochenour-1984-6’5 forward——-Eastern’s all time leading scorer with over 1800 points,lights out shooter, great rebounder, can’t quite remember but I think he went to a small college in North Carolina for his college ball, his son Hunter is now a sophomore at Eastern ,and is a lights outshooter himself.

2-Darren King-1989-6’3 forward———could be listed as #1 , I have him at 2 based on points, scored over 1500 points, great shooter , rebounder ,and defensive player, did everything well, played his college ball at Shawnee State.

The next 3 are tough for me ,because they didn’t finish their careers at Eastern , but they did play freshman-junior years at Eastern, so this is who I am listing, but it’s debatable.

3-Eric Caudill-1992-6’2 point guard——had he played his senior year at Eastern , he would b in the conversation for #1, great athlete, shooter, defensive player, he could do it all. I think he played college ball at Alderson Broaddus in West Virginia, before transferringto Rio grande.

4-Doug Williams-1999 6’5 point guard——-another player that had he finished his career at Eastern he could have been in the conversation for #1, an all around great player, 6’5 point guards are rare in southern Ohio, could jump out of the gym,played his college ball at Miami University and is the current head coach at Georgetown High School.

5-Darrell Howard-1989-6’7 center——-some eagle fans may have someone else here , but for me , Darrell is who I am choosing , prolly best athlete to ever come through Eastern , could jump as well as anyone I have seen around here, had a few dunks that I will never forget.

I know this is a boys list, but I feel like I should list Eastern’s best Female player of all time Marlene Stollings-1993-6’1 guard——— she is the all-time leading scorer in the history of Ohio high basketball for both boys and girls, with 3514 career points, 13 made 3 pointers in a game is a state record , 317career made 3 pointers, scored 1022 points as a Senior, which is 2nd all time for a single season, made 760 career free throws , which is 2nd all time for a career , just an unbelievable career ,one that will prolly never be matched around Southern Ohio, she played college ball at Ohio State before transferring to Ohio University , and she is the current head women’s basketball coach at the University of Minnesota

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

EPN wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:09 pm Eastern Pike Eagles

1-Mark Cochenour-1984-6’5 forward——-Eastern’s all time leading scorer with over 1800 points,lights out shooter, great rebounder, can’t quite remember but I think he went to a small college in North Carolina for his college ball, his son Hunter is now a sophomore at Eastern ,and is a lights outshooter himself.

2-Darren King-1989-6’3 forward———could be listed as #1 , I have him at 2 based on points, scored over 1500 points, great shooter , rebounder ,and defensive player, did everything well, played his college ball at Shawnee State.

The next 3 are tough for me ,because they didn’t finish their careers at Eastern , but they did play freshman-junior years at Eastern, so this is who I am listing, but it’s debatable.

3-Eric Caudill-1992-6’2 point guard——had he played his senior year at Eastern , he would b in the conversation for #1, great athlete, shooter, defensive player, he could do it all. I think he played college ball at Alderson Broaddus in West Virginia, before transferringto Rio grande.

4-Doug Williams-1999 6’5 point guard——-another player that had he finished his career at Eastern he could have been in the conversation for #1, an all around great player, 6’5 point guards are rare in southern Ohio, could jump out of the gym,played his college ball at Miami University and is the current head coach at Georgetown High School.

5-Darrell Howard-1989-6’7 center——-some eagle fans may have someone else here , but for me , Darrell is who I am choosing , prolly best athlete to ever come through Eastern , could jump as well as anyone I have seen around here, had a few dunks that I will never forget.

I know this is a boys list, but I feel like I should list Eastern’s best Female player of all time Marlene Stollings-1993-6’1 guard——— she is the all-time leading scorer in the history of Ohio high basketball for both boys and girls, with 3514 career points, 13 made 3 pointers in a game is a state record , 317career made 3 pointers, scored 1022 points as a Senior, which is 2nd all time for a single season, made 760 career free throws , which is 2nd all time for a career , just an unbelievable career ,one that will prolly never be matched around Southern Ohio, she played college ball at Ohio State before transferring to Ohio University , and she is the current head women’s basketball coach at the University of Minnesota

Eastern has had some AMAZING basketball players come through! All deserving of this list.

CavalierAlum05
Varsity

Post by CavalierAlum05 »

Mad-Dogg wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:53 pm
CavalierAlum05 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:41 am Chillicothe Cavaliers

Hitchens was a beast. Whatever happen to him
Played college ball at Akron and James Madison. He then played overseas for several years. He is back in Ohio now last I heard. He is the all time Ross county scoring leader. His record will be broke next week as Dylan Swingle is only 12 away from it now.

TripleDouble
JV Team

Post by TripleDouble »

EPN wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:09 pm Eastern Pike Eagles

EPN, u put together a good list. The first 2 is spot on. If I was to include players that spent all 4 years at Eastern I would have Matt Heins and Neil Leist on there too. The fifth spot to me is a toss up between Dustin Alley and Zac Alexander. I may lead toward Zac because of the assists he has. I believe he’s Eastern all time assist leader. Alley may hold the rebound record for Eastern though. Little to young to have remembered him playing. But been told he was a monster on the boards.

EPN
Freshman Team

Post by EPN »

TripleDouble,
I agree with u completely, and I prolly should have just made the list to include players that spent all 4 years at Eastern,and if I would have the players u listed is who I would have had on my list.

1.Cochenour
2.King
3.Neil Leist
4.Zac Alexander
5.Matt Hines or Dustin Alley, that’s a tough one to choose for me so I will call it a tie!!

Some other notable players that could be in the discussion are.
LarryCaudill Sr
Arnold King
Rick Nance
pat Nance
Larry Caudill Jr
Chad lands
Josh Thacker
Ethan Leist
And I am sure there are a few I am forgetting ,but these are a few off the top of my head.

KaneBrown
Waterboy

Post by KaneBrown »

Nathan Cozart
Jett Facemyer
Matt Simpson
Garrett Barringer
Joe Brown
(Eastern-Reedsville)

Other noteable players:
Nate Durst (Retired)
Cody Dill
Jacob Parker

hoopsfan
Riding the Bench

Post by hoopsfan »

HamPorter wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:43 am Only 2 from Warren have over 1,000? That's crazy
Like Warrior Blue said, very rare for any freshman at Warren to play varsity at all because of talent level at school and the competition that Warren faces in Division II every year. Of note is that there are a few players for sure that were very near 1000 points, but fell just short. I don't know the exact numbers but I believe three other Warrior players were over the 950 career mark: Austin Cunningham, Kyler Dennis, and Curt Morris

There may be others that were close, but those are three that I know of. Josh Huffman from this year's team is probably at around 900 career points.

I was not aware that only 2 previous Warriors were members of the 1000 point club. I guess that is an exclusive list for sure.

Return to “Boys Basketball”