Top 5 All-Time from your school

drrabbit
All State

Re: Top 5 All-Time from your school

Post by drrabbit »

For Wheelersburg, if you want to go back far enough, to some of the winningest basketball teams for Wheelersburg that had players like Earl (Pug) Miller and Gene Bennett. I should look up the rest of the roster but they were not shabby with a 29-1 record in 44-45 and made the state tournament (16 teams) and I think almost 35 wins in 45-46.

OHHS old timer
SEOPS HOF

Post by OHHS old timer »

trojandave wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:48 pm Waverly was regional runnerup to Portsmouth in 1980. The Trojans defeated the Tigers 49-48. The Tigers had a very good post player, 6-4 Onno Steger, and a standout guard, Rick Teeters. Gabby Smith was the coach. Teeters missed a shot from the top of the key as time expired. Waverly upset undefeated Dresden Tri Valley in the regional semifinal 48-45. I don't know if there's a connection to this or not, but Upper Arlington just recently had a player who I believe graduated last year whose name is Onno Steger. Maybe father/son?
trojandave...according to a friend that is his son Onno Steger II

I'm not old, I'm mold....still growing!!
2019 NCAA Tournament Pick 'em champ
Vito Corleone
Freshman Team

Post by Vito Corleone »

OHHS old timer wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:37 pm
trojandave wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:48 pm Waverly was regional runnerup to Portsmouth in 1980. The Trojans defeated the Tigers 49-48. The Tigers had a very good post player, 6-4 Onno Steger, and a standout guard, Rick Teeters. Gabby Smith was the coach. Teeters missed a shot from the top of the key as time expired. Waverly upset undefeated Dresden Tri Valley in the regional semifinal 48-45. I don't know if there's a connection to this or not, but Upper Arlington just recently had a player who I believe graduated last year whose name is Onno Steger. Maybe father/son?
trojandave...according to a friend that is his son Onno Steger II
Onno Steger is playing at Western Carolina. Sophomore there I believe

Making offers you can't refuse
Broken Tornadoe
Waterboy

Post by Broken Tornadoe »

Southern-Carl Wolfe, Kent Wolfe,Chip Bruaer, Dave Ambury, Jack Duffey

thebull
Varsity

Post by thebull »

North Adams Green Devils

1. Nathan Copas
2. Rick Fulton
3. Kraig Unger
4. Troy Storer
5. Eric Evilsiser

efarns
S

Post by efarns »

I thought EDSpy was going to post Fort Frye's 5, but I don't see it. This

Jack Clark played basketball for Maryland in the 60's.
Tyler Engle set the state record for career three-pointers and played baseball at Ohio State.
Clint Hayes averaged 30+ per game for 2 years and had a nice career at Cedarville.
Eric Henniger was the best all around player on our 1999 Final Four team and is the current coach.
Brandon Skinner was the best player on our #2 state ranked team that lost to #1Garaway in the district tournament.

There were several guys who could be plugged into those final spots, but that was our 5.

sandstorm23
Freshman Team

Post by sandstorm23 »

River Valley: Joey James and then after that it's hard to put together a list.

RVRaiderFan
All State

Post by RVRaiderFan »

sandstorm23 wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 9:08 am River Valley: Joey James and then after that it's hard to put together a list.
I would follow Joey with Tyler Twyman. Tyler was the 2nd 1,000 point scorer in RV history behind James. He is currently playing College Basketball for Davis & Elkins College in WV.

Aaron Sullivan would have to be on my list as well. One of the best PG's in RV history. His ball skills were unbelievable.

A couple other names to mention.....Greg James (Joey's older brother), Chris Crace, Doug Lloyd, Bruce Ward

Once A Raider, Always A Raider!
transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

I don't think anyone has mentioned anyone from Valley yet, so ill take a stab at it. Not a top 5 list, but just top players that come to mind over the years...

Mark and Harold Merritt played at William Carey in Mississippi maybe?
Craig Gilliland I believe was all time scorer until Blake Yates passed him a few years ago
Keith Hickman played Rugby at The Ohio State University
Chris Clark played college ball somewhere in Mississippi I think? until a car wreck cut his career short
pretty sure Gilliland, Hickman, and Clark, maybe even Alley all played together
Brian Baer played football at Urbana
Alan Alley played at Shawnee
Matt Nourse all time free throw percentage, his brother in law came close to beating is, but I don't think he did.
Chris Lundy had scholarship to West Virginia State for baseball, just overall athlete
Nolan Crabtree undersized big man, played baseball and IUPUI and Shawnee
some recent players Blake yates all time leading scorer, played at Shawnee
Brian Rolfe plays at Shawnee

Im sure I missed a few names, but these are the ones that come to my mind. Maybe Crab's brother can help some...

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Waverly also beat the Burg in the Distrcts at Athens in 1980. The game was officiated by two men, one being the former OHSAA commisioneer Dan Ross and that was by far the worst officiated game I've ever watched. I believe Waverly scored 60 points in that game with 44 of them coming from the free throw line. Dan the man made most of the calls against Burg that game and literally fouled out the whole starting five plus two bench players. I think Burg finished the game with just 5 players left.

efarns
S

Post by efarns »

I don't know what his high school career was like, but Dan Hughes from Fort Frye just coached The WNBA Champion Seattle Storm to their league title. That has to rank somewhere.

Cameron34Crazie34
All State

Post by Cameron34Crazie34 »

Portsmouth West. We are not rich in basketball history and we haven't been to the Convo since 1998 but here are some names that pop into my head. As you can tell by the list I am a little young. Lol

Shea Lauder '07
Asa Jewett '98
Matt Jones '03
Michael Davis '15
Kelly Shy '74ish?
Chris Hamilton and Boyce Jordan from the '85 team. Even though I wasn't alive it is probably the best basketball team the West Side has ever had.

Loyal Loyal to The West Side
WarriorBlue
Varsity

Post by WarriorBlue »

hoopsfan wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:09 am
HamPorter wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:43 am Only 2 from Warren have over 1,000? That's crazy
Like Warrior Blue said, very rare for any freshman at Warren to play varsity at all because of talent level at school and the competition that Warren faces in Division II every year. Of note is that there are a few players for sure that were very near 1000 points, but fell just short. I don't know the exact numbers but I believe three other Warrior players were over the 950 career mark: Austin Cunningham, Kyler Dennis, and Curt Morris

There may be others that were close, but those are three that I know of. Josh Huffman from this year's team is probably at around 900 career points.

I was not aware that only 2 previous Warriors were members of the 1000 point club. I guess that is an exclusive list for sure.
Another name to add from WarriorNation would be Phil Mayle. In 1980 he was around 600 points for the season. I’m guessing he was a player that got very close to that 1000 Point Club.

wipala
Varsity

Post by wipala »

Would anyone have Portsmouth East and Portsmouth Notre Dame (central catholic)

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

bump

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

Jeep/pirate wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:46 am
Vito Corleone wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:54 pm
Jeep/pirate wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:38 pm Went to both SW and The burg and seen a lot of great talents from both schools. I’m not going by stats because that doesn’t tell the story for some of these talents.

South Webster
1. Aldridge - big physical kid who could do it all, run pass shoot and rebound to sum it all up he’s about as good of a power forward this area has ever seen. State Champ, D1 player, Played professionally
2. Roberts 6’8 jump shooter played d1, drafted in the nba draft but chose the wrong sport
3.Justin Lower quick, lights out shooting and relentless Scoring machine, had little to no talent to work with played naia and should’ve stayed with the game longer
4.)Josh Campbell - crazy good defender, strong, fast, lights out shooting and probably one of the better players in the area after school, state champ, played naia
5. Austin Loop let’s start with smart,long, lights out shooter, district champ ,strong ,played 4 seasons at Marshall and had the most success of any on my list

Burg
1.) Andrew Burleson Big, Strong ran like a deer and was a athlete first, let’s just say a athletic freak,multiple district titles, played d1 could of definitely went over seas
2.) Drew Spradlin super basketball smart long, strong and a lights out shooter, 4 year starter, multiple final fours played d1 ,
3.) Cam Miller super long and lanky ball skills, lights out shooter played d1 an naia played over seas multiple final fours
4.) John Eaton was only told of how good he was not sure on his statistics or achievements
5.) Seth Cowgill super athletic, fast , probably the most talent as far as basketball as any on burgs top5 played with 2 on the list so his stats was probably not as good as some of these guys, lights out shooter, crazy wing on ball defender, multiple final fours,
Who is Campbell??

He was the red headed kid. He played from 03 - 07, graduated a year after they won state, was a 3-4 year starter, single handily carried them to the regional finals the year after state, and was a few turnovers away from going back to the final four. The kid was a stud in school but after school he blew up similar to Kyle Miller of Piketon who should be #1 on Piketons list.
Funny how our memories work. South Webster won a District Championship in 07 but lost in the Regional Semis

They were a few turnovers and a game away from the Final 4.

Western made the Elite 8 that year though and was 1 or 2 points away from the Final 4.

The fact you left Todd Staker and Paul Newman and Brad Walke off of your list for Wheelersburg might bother me more though. Todd did take Wheelersburg to the State Finals in AA and almost took out Jerome Lane and Akron St. V St M in the Finals. His sophomore year his tip in at the buzzer vs Ironton at the Sectional in Portsmouth saved another great Pirate team along the way to their first final 4 appearance. Newman had 42 in the Regional Final vs Martins Ferry and went to Marquette.

Staker started his freshman year at Miami Ohio and played with a guy named Ron Harper. Maryland beat them by 1 in the NCAA tourney in 85.

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Somebody from burgs list has to come out because Holden goes straight to the top in front of burleson. Holden is currently the best player to ever lace them up for the burg.

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

art_vandelay wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:22 am South Webster

1. Brett Roberts '88 (Morehead State...led nation in scoring in '92 and drafted by Sacramento Kings in second round)

2. Nick Aldridge '06 (Western Carolina; Mountain State)

3. Brigham Waginger '06 (Western Carolina)

4. Mike Rose '71 (ask the older dudes...he could ball)

5. Brian Dyer '91 (Shawnee State...led NAIA in rebounding his senior year).

Bench: Jeremy Kaltenbach (Marietta); Austin Loop (Marshall); Justin Lower; Jordan Lower; Eric McClintic; Ty Roberts; Jeff Bradley (Cedarville); Michael Coriell.*
You have their scoring totals?

Michael Scott
mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

Getting Older wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:47 am Ironton:
Ralph Snead-All around athlete-25ppg.sr yrOhio Univ. Played in N/S game with John Havlechek
Dennis Gagai-Great all aspects of the game .grest shooter/passer--WVU- Northern KY
Charlie Kitchen- Probably best pure long range shooter- 25ppg/12rebds per game sr yr..17 ppg jr yr..18 ppg as soph..South Alabama
Carter-Cant remember first name- Super quick, Leading scorer-- Walsh
Doug Birchfield.6'8 Nice player..Rio Grande I believe...Would also have to mention Damien Pringle..all state tournament team..tough cookie.Also Mick Kitts from years back.

It's hard to say how many more points Snead and Kitchen would have had if there was a 3 pt line when they played. They were hitting 3's without getting extra points.
You have scoring totals for Snead and Birchfield?

Michael Scott
mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

Coach93 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:33 pm Glenwood [New Boston] Tigers top 5
1. Todd Loper Glenwood's all time leading scorer started as a freshman.
2. Leroy Frazier
3. Charlie Mcgraw
4. Nick Perkins
5. Ryan Morrow
bench for the tigers: Josh Howard, Jason Truitt, Scott Jenkins ,Jon Gose, Jason Risner, Chris Mcgraw , Heck to many to name . Glenwood has had a lot of great basketball players over the years the basketball program has a rich tradtion and has had many great players come thru the program I'm sure I have left off a few names .
Who all was over 1,000?

Michael Scott

Return to “Boys Basketball”