Gallia Academy @ Portsmouth

GalliaGrad78
SEOP

Gallia Academy @ Portsmouth

Post by GalliaGrad78 »

The Blue Devils cannot have a letdown after tough loss to Fairland. I think the 3 seed in the sectional is at stake.
Thoughts?

Firebreather
Freshman Team

Re: Gallia Academy @ Portsmouth

Post by Firebreather »

Definitely at stake. Don't sleep on the Trojans! They can score with anyone but they lack the size to challenge Gallia at the rim. GA 74- PHS 60

GAHSBB#1fan
Riding the Bench

Post by GAHSBB#1fan »

The Blue Devils by 15 to 20 I think the Blue Devils learned their lesson against Coal Grove no let down this game.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

If they don't have a let down i will be severely impressed again. To play that way and come up short then to go on road to a place you probably will not take a big crowd too against a good basketball team with a bullseye on there back. Now i expect them to win but i do think there will be some fatigue in this game. Not sure this game will effect seeding a lot of these coaches will vote before there friday night game.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

The rest of the schools in the SE Sectional have at least 5 losses, so I think GA wrapped up the 3 with their performance against Fairland on Tuesday. Plus, Coal Grove beating Oak Hill made that look like less of a bad loss.

Now, a lopsided loss could possibly drop them a slot, but I doubt it even then.

Bigman83
Riding the Bench

Post by Bigman83 »

I was at the first matchup between the two at Gallia. I think if the PG and SG (sorry not certain on their names) from Portsmouth can get hot this could swing their way. On the defensive end, they need to find a way to contain Loveday and Wiseman. Apart from that, don't let Gallia's role players get comfortable. Gallia's a great team and probably one of the best in SEO. Gallia by 15, looks to be a good game though.

GalliaGrad78
SEOP

Post by GalliaGrad78 »

Hopefully the folks from Gallia Academy will make the trip. Portsmouth is the best away venue to go to a game. Rich history, and The Scioto Ribber for dinner before the game. Can't beat that

GalliaGrad78
SEOP

Post by GalliaGrad78 »

Easy drive too, u.s. 35 west to Centerville, s.r. 279 west to oak hill, s.r. 93 south for a few miles, right turn on s.r. 140 take all the way to s.r. 52 west.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

This is a very big game for my Trojan's,I know it is a " tall" task with 7 foot loveday and company, but I also knowwhat this Trojan team is capable of , IF! We limit our turnovers and get after it on defense,AND put four good qtrs together, something we have not done all year.

Gallia took us behind the wood shed last game,so hopefully our kids want a little revenge.

Safe travels for our friends from the French city

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

The Trojans have to better defensively in this second game, because in the first affair it was Portsmouth's poorest performance of the season on the stop end of the court. Layup after layup led to a 26 point easy win for GAHS. I have watched PHS all season, and our kids are definitely capable of winning this game. As biggdowgg said, limiting turnovers by the Trojans is another big factor. That has been a sore spot for Portsmouth in a lot of games this year, even in wins.

This game could be critical to Portsmouth getting the #3 seed at Waverly, since this will be the last game counted before the draw on Sunday.

GO TROJANS!!!

Sportsman
Riding the Bench

Post by Sportsman »

I thinking Portsmouth deserves the 3 seed regardless of Friday's game vs Gallia due to a better schedule but who knows . Hope all OVC teams have a great weekand

91blue14
SE

Post by 91blue14 »

GalliaGrad78 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:09 pm Hopefully the folks from Gallia Academy will make the trip. Portsmouth is the best away venue to go to a game. Rich history, and The Scioto Ribber for dinner before the game. Can't beat that
ribeyes are too die for count me in

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

Hope they peak at the right time ! Let down don't think so ! Coaching plays a big roll ! After that game who wants to stop now GA wins on the road .

GAHSBB#1fan
Riding the Bench

Post by GAHSBB#1fan »

Lesson learned at Coal Grove. The Blue Devils will come to play tonight no let down tonight Blue Devils by 15 points.

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

Stats of the GA win over Portsmouth ?

GalliaGrad78
SEOP

Post by GalliaGrad78 »

71-68 in double overtime! Good win for Blue Devils! #'s 1 and 2 for Trojans lit up the scoreboard. But, in the end Gallia Academy pulled it out. Very exciting game!
I don't know if anyone posts stats anymore
I sure do miss Jottings' posts.
I will be interested to read Trojandave's thoughts on this one.

Tri-StateYouthSports
SEOP

Post by Tri-StateYouthSports »

Post by biggdowgg »

Both teams came to play,I was very pleased to see the Trojan's play like they did after the beating they took at gallia a couple weeks ago,I thought our coach put together a great game plan ,kicking the ball down low then back out top to our guards got us a lot of open three attempts and both guards was on their game,fun game to watch ,we just did not have an answer for loveday ,the kid is getting better and will have a great career even at the next level.

A gahs fan told me last night Huntington prep is after him, I truly hope he stays at gallia, that program has really stepped up

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Congratulations to the Gallia Academy Blue Devils on the win.......and VERY PROUD of the Trojans for such a great effort......both teams played hard all the way. Zach Loveday had a great game for GAHS, and even though it was a team win for them, he was a difference maker all night at both ends of the court. He showed a deft touch on that clutch 3 pointer to tie the game at 60. On the PHS side, DJ Eley and Matthew Fraulini shot the 3 ball probably better as a twosome than they have all year. Defensively, I thought the Trojans tried to battle Loveday as hard as they could, but it's just difficult to stop a kid who is 7 foot tall.

Gallia is a tough matchup defensively, because they can go inside to Loveday or score from the perimeter with several players. I hope going forward that the Trojans can play the way they did last night, because if they can, they can make the regionals. Portsmouth will not face a more dominant low post player in the tourney than Loveday, and guard wise the Trojans can match up with anyone.

I can't imagine a better game in the SE district all year than what I witnessed last night. Our Trojans competed their guts out, came up short, but in the end showed that they are very capable of playing right with a very good basketball team, which Gallia Academy is. Portsmouth, Ironton, Coal Grove, and Fairland all gave the Blue Devils plenty of tough competition in OVC play. I think the conference as a whole is as good if not better than any in the SE district. It wouldn't suprise me at all if the OVC is represented in regional play in 3 divisions.

So proud of our Trojans and Coach Collins and his staff for putting together a great game plan. Also props to Coach Harrison and his staff for taking advantage of their strengths. The atmosphere at Trojan Arena was as intense as I've seen it quite a while.

Also glad to see Coach Collins dressing 3 freshmen for the varsity game. Those kids deserve it, and they will play a key role in next year's Trojans.

GO TROJANS!!

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

Stay at Gallia and rewrite the record books ! JMO

Return to “Boys Basketball”