Waverly vs. Jackson REMATCH

SEOSpec3
Waterboy

Re: Waverly vs. Jackson REMATCH

Post by SEOSpec3 »

Are speakman and spohn much of scoring threat? I do know they are the leaders but Donaldson scores a majority for them so I've heard.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

trojandave wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:25 pm Haven't seen Jackson this year, but I did watch Waverly give Fairland all they could handle at The Beast of the Southeast at Chesapeake. Loved the aggressive defense that Coach Robertson had his kids playing vs. the Dragons.
If the Tigers play like they did against Fairland, Oak Hill 2nd X, & even Wheelersburg 2nd X, they should win this thing.
If the play like they did against Jackson the 1st time they will see the same results.

dcgjones
Freshman Team

Post by dcgjones »

double figures for both and i believe thye probably average more than cooper. spohn can slash and shoot the lights out, at times from 3 point range. speakman is more streaky 3 point shooter.

SEOSpec3
Waterboy

Post by SEOSpec3 »

dcgjones wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:07 pm double figures for both and i believe thye probably average more than cooper. spohn can slash and shoot the lights out, at times from 3 point range. speakman is more streaky 3 point shooter.
Thank you for the info dc... sounds like it will be a great game

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I go into most games thinking Speakman+Spohn+Donaldson need to total 40 points and all others need to get 20. All3 of the big 3 are capable of big scoring nights.

Ironmen have plenty of experience...no excuses there.

SEOSpec3
Waterboy

Post by SEOSpec3 »

I've seen the ironmen 3 times.. @vinton @unioto and @gallia and it seems they don't really have a "best player" Seemed as if speakman spohn or Donaldson all were around the same skill level and relied on one of the 3 to simply have a good night.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Spohn typically the defensive stopper and exudes a lot of energy on that side. He’s had games of 7 or 9 points where he was the best player. He can definitely score but has good teammates that can score. Cooper going for 25 on Chillicothe is telling and Speakman going for 13 in about a 7 minute span tells you his ability as well. Jackson needs their 7 points from Wallis, 6 from Davis, 6 from Graham and a bucket or two from Donaldson/Neal/Byrd/Wyatt.

I’d be pretty surprised if Donaldson isn’t 1st or 2nd in scoring per game though, maybe he’s not. I have missed 5 games so I’m not the best on that.

dcgjones
Freshman Team

Post by dcgjones »

SEOSpec3 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:02 am I've seen the ironmen 3 times.. @vinton @unioto and @gallia and it seems they don't really have a "best player" Seemed as if speakman spohn or Donaldson all were around the same skill level and relied on one of the 3 to simply have a good night.

very well put. Since those games carson and peyton have really taken on more of the senior leadership roll. If Jackson gets their usual from the guards and cooper has a good game they will win. I don't think its been mentioned but Kendall Neal guarded Waverly's number 0. (sorry dont know name) much of the 3 quarter and was able to slow him down. Bigger body that was able to get thru the screens and frustrated him some.

Vito Corleone
Freshman Team

Post by Vito Corleone »

This game will be a war. A chance to go to the Convo. Just how tournament basketball should be. Looking forward to this rematch!

Making offers you can't refuse
ccccc
Waterboy

Post by ccccc »

When is game and where?

Between the Lines
Freshman Team

Post by Between the Lines »

ccccc wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:02 am When is game and where?
Friday - 02/23/18, 6pm at Southeastern High School..

MasterOfNone
All Conference

Post by MasterOfNone »

Anyone know what time the doors will be opening?

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

MasterOfNone wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:42 pm Anyone know what time the doors will be opening?
I believe they typically open 45-60 minutes before tip.

Ukfanatic
Varsity

Post by Ukfanatic »

I'd say with Waverly Jackson, and then Zane Trace Galia. You probably better get there early. Should be a great Atmosphere!

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Ukfanatic wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:32 pm I'd say with Waverly Jackson, and then Zane Trace Galia. You probably better get there early. Should be a great Atmosphere!
They are sectional championships so I think they are split sessions (clear the gym).

i83
Freshman Team

Post by i83 »

Go JACKSON!

Vito Corleone
Freshman Team

Post by Vito Corleone »

This game will be fun!

Making offers you can't refuse
Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Waverly 47
Jackson 46

Final....congrats to Waverly and good luck

Safe to say these teams are close. Jackson jumped out big 25-10 but had 3 starters with 2 fouls and didn’t finish half great and it was 25-15 at half. Waverly and Jackson went back and forth a bit the first half of the 3rd and then more foul trouble taking 2 of top 3 players off the court. Jackson hit a 3 at buzzer of 3rd to take a 3 point lead to the 4th. In the 4th Jackson had 2 3’s rim out and a lay in do the same and with Donaldson on the bench with 4 Waverly scrapped back and took the lead. Donaldson returned and Jackson went back up 43-39 but Waverly kept coming and Jackson kept fouling in the lane for and 1’s. Jackson had lead with under a minute and Howell for Waverly hit a quick release 3 that looked good from the release. Jackson had a bit of a break and Spohn drove in lane with under 8 seconds left and hands in there everywhere and loose ball to Jackson...timeout 2.8 seconds. Inbounds play didn’t seem to have any chance. Tigers prevail.

Great season for the Ironmen....it ended a game short but the program trending up and they left it on the court every game. Losing 4 great seniors who have been there through the tough tough times as freshman and have helped build this thing in the right direction. Carson Spohn with a great career, played his tail off all season on both ends. I expect a 2nd or 3rd team all-District. Peyton Speakman has been a mainstay for the last 3 years. Great shooter and really had some impressive showings over the years. Kendall Neal was a starter as a freshman, then soph, then jr, then senior and lost a lot of pt due to the Ironmen program just getting better and better. Never complained just played hard when called upon and was a great teammate...I tip my cap to him. Blake Wyatt had some excellent minutes this season and great bench kid that represented Jackson well.

Jackson will be back. Cooper Donaldson will be a senior in pursuit of 1,000 points, all-state mention and of course the Convo. Caleb Wallis, Treylan Davis, Brice Graham, Braxton Hammond and several others should give the Ironmen fans something to enjoy.

oldschoolqb13
Varsity

Post by oldschoolqb13 »

Well said I92.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

HERE ARE MY NOTES WHEN I STARTED TYPING THEM IN THE 4th.

38-37 Waverly 5:30
Timeout Jackson
Donaldson back in with 4 fouls.

38-40

39-40
3:59 1 of 2.

39-42 Jackson 3:35

Foul call
Donaldson 1-2
39-43

2:27
Adrian bucket and foul
42-43 Jackson

2:18 Jackson travel at mid court with the pressure.

44-43 2:06
Howell bucket

1:02
44-46 #3 with the Three

.40 Howell with the three
47-46

.11 Jackson travel not called, foul on Remington his 5th.
#0 to line one and one
Missed FT and Jackson fouled Marquez

.10 Cobe to line for two
Miss, Miss
47-46

Jackson works it under bucket, ball out of bounds with 2.8. timeout Jackson.

Timeout Waverly after saw the inbounds look.
Lob out to Donaldson at the top with Howell face guarding, shot no good at buzzer.

Return to “Boys Basketball”