Waverly vs. Jackson REMATCH

Between the Lines
Freshman Team

Waverly vs. Jackson REMATCH

Post by Between the Lines »

Who takes this one ? Thoughts
Will neutral site make a difference ?
Both teams like to play out of control ?
Who had the hardest schedule ?

smurray
SEOPS HO

Re: Waverly vs. Jackson REMATCH

Post by smurray »

Who are Jackson’s signature wins and what are their losses?

Waverly best wins are Wheelersburg, Miami Trace, Lynchburg.
Losses to Oak Hill (2), Fairland, Wheelersburg, Eastern and Jackson.

The Jackson game was arguably the worst game the Tigers played. Hopefully they are able to get rested up a bit and get a couple guys healed up some more.

Looking for the Tigers to right the ship and beat the Ironmen on the neutral floor.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Ironman92 has more specifics, but Jackson can make teams look pretty bad, so it doesn't surprise me that Waverly would've struggled that night.

Wins: Waverly, Miami Trace
Losses: Chillicothe (2x), Miami Trace, Unioto, Gallia Academy, Athens, Vinton County

Neither team has a bad loss. I won't pick a winner, but I do have to say that I'm sure neither of them were upset when Fairfield Union slipped to the 2 seed.

Between the Lines
Freshman Team

danicalifornia wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:54 pm Ironman92 has more specifics, but Jackson can make teams look pretty bad, so it doesn't surprise me that Waverly would've struggled that night.

Losses: Chillicothe (2x), Miami Trace, Unioto, Gallia Academy, Athens, Vinton County

Neither team has a bad loss. I won't pick a winner, but I do have to say that I'm sure neither of them were upset when Fairfield Union slipped to the 2 seed.
Good point on FU !

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Between the Lines wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:06 am
danicalifornia wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:54 pm Ironman92 has more specifics, but Jackson can make teams look pretty bad, so it doesn't surprise me that Waverly would've struggled that night.

Good point on FU !
These were the first two teams I thought of when I saw that. Not that Sheridan isn't a very good team though.

I really like what Jackson has going on with their program and this could be a major step in the right direction. But, Waverly is very talented and was on the verge of a 3 seed for a reason. This should be a doozy.

toast
All State

Post by toast »

I was very impressed with Jackson last Tuesday. They do indeed get credit for making Waverly struggle. They defended the perimeter well and caused problems for us when we got the ball in the paint.... blocking shots and changing others. How tall is Jackson? Kinda hard to tell from the stands. Jackson was also methodical and patient at times which can make a 5 or 6 point lead feel like a 10 or 12 point lead.

Jackson did a pretty good job handling our pressure. The little guard is next to impossible to trap. Just not an easy match-up for Waverly.

First and for most the Tigers are going to have to rebound better and play stronger. Thought they out scrapped us at times. We'll have to dig deep to have a shot at winning this one. Hoping Waverly brings a big crowd. This should be a good one. Go Tigers!

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

should be a good one

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
Ukfanatic
Varsity

Post by Ukfanatic »

Should be a great game! Both teams are very good. Jackson defends well. Waverly should have some advantages on the offensive end due to Jacksons lack of height. Jackson was very tired at the end of the game. They want to slow the pace down. Waverly needs to run run run. Waverly did a really good job on the little guard. They had to use someone else to bring the ball up the floor. They must keep the pressure on!

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Ukfanatic wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:04 am Should be a great game! Both teams are very good. Jackson defends well. Waverly should have some advantages on the offensive end due to Jacksons lack of height. Jackson was very tired at the end of the game. They want to slow the pace down. Waverly needs to run run run. Waverly did a really good job on the little guard. They had to use someone else to bring the ball up the floor. They must keep the pressure on!
If Waverly is able to run run run to wear them down - and then hit a few shots they didn't in the first contest, they have a chance to win it. Waverly has been in some physical games but the first one between these two may have been the most physical. It will be interesting to see how the officiating crew calls it - let em play or call it tight.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Unlikely the game will have as much uncalled contact. Waverly a touch deeper it appeared.

Jackson answered every challenge the first matchup and Cooper Donaldson wasn’t close to healthy and Sat he just went for 25 against Chillicothe so that makes Jackson a bit better on paper than last matchup.

Waverly forces a spastic game and during those times things can get you from the norm a bit. A lot of chances for a lot of things to happen. I believe if Jackson is more disciplined during all the frantic happenings that they will get to play at the Convo for the first time since 2003. That would be huge for the Ironmen program.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Jackson starters and rotation players:

5’4 1/2
6’0
6’0
6’2
6’2
6’2 1/2
6’4

Next onto court and get their share of court time as needed

6’0
6’3

And most of these players are either strong for their size or long so they don’t really play short.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Ironman92 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:06 am Jackson starters and rotation players:

5’4 1/2
6’0
6’0
6’2
6’2
6’2 1/2
6’4

6’0
6’3

And most of these players are either strong for their size or long so they don’t really play short.
Had to get that 1/5 inch in there for Wallis!!

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

mlittle wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:49 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:06 am Jackson starters and rotation players:

5’4 1/2
6’0
6’0
6’2
6’2
6’2 1/2
6’4

6’0
6’3

1/2 man

Truth Serum
Riding the Bench

Post by Truth Serum »

I will take Waverly in the rematch

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Ironman92 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:50 pm
mlittle wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:49 pm

5’4 1/2
6’0
6’0
6’2
6’2
6’2 1/2
6’4

6’0
6’3

1/2 man

Haha! Wow

Between the Lines
Freshman Team

5’4 1/2
6’0
6’0
6’2
6’2
6’2 1/2
6’4

6’0
6’3

Does anyone know what the experience ratio is between the two teams ? Jackson is fairly young I think mostly JR. & SO ? What about Waverly ?

I think the big factor will be who controls the turn overs in this game. In their last match up didn't both teams turn it over a lot ?

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Haven't seen Jackson this year, but I did watch Waverly give Fairland all they could handle at The Beast of the Southeast at Chesapeake. Loved the aggressive defense that Coach Robertson had his kids playing vs. the Dragons.

Between the Lines
Freshman Team

trojandave wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:25 pm Haven't seen Jackson this year, but I did watch Waverly give Fairland all they could handle at The Beast of the Southeast at Chesapeake. Loved the aggressive defense that Coach Robertson had his kids playing vs. the Dragons.
I seen Waverly play twice this summer in a summer league, they were very impressive.

I really think this might be the best game at the SEHS Sectional with ZT & GAHS being the next best.

SEOSpec3
Waterboy

Post by SEOSpec3 »

Waverly has the edge on experience due to the fact Jackson has been down and is just now getting used to winning. Although I will say I've seen both teams play and I do think The ironmen have seniors who are more than capable of putting the team in a position to win with the help of Walis and Donaldson. Should be a great game with an even better atmosphere!

dcgjones
Freshman Team

Post by dcgjones »

SEOSpec3 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:45 pm Waverly has the edge on experience due to the fact Jackson has been down and is just now getting used to winning. Although I will say I've seen both teams play and I do think The ironmen have seniors who are more than capable of putting the team in a position to win with the help of Walis and Donaldson. Should be a great game with an even better atmosphere!
Jackson is led by senior guards speakman & spohn. Jackson will go as far they can take them

Return to “Boys Basketball”