OHSAA to Refs: enforce the "Rolled Shorts" rule, or get written up

General Chat
formerfcfan
SEOP

OHSAA to Refs: enforce the "Rolled Shorts" rule, or get written up

Post by formerfcfan »

The OHSAA has informed all referees that they will be paying close attention to referee enforcement of the NFHS rule that prohibits the rolling up of shorts in this year's boys and girls basketball tournaments. The "rolled shorts" rule is not an OHSAA rule, it is an NFHS (national) rule. The rule requires that the waistbands not be turned outwards and the drawstrings be tucked in; the rule specifically states "shorts must be worn as manufacturer intended them to be." Assigners/people in charge of referee evaluation in the tournament will be paying close attention to this: the referees were told that if a player has the waistband rolled inside-out, to where the drawstring is on the exterior, the player is to be instructed to check out of the game and correct the uniform infraction. If the referee fails to enforce this rule, they will be written up.

While this rule has existed for a couple of years now, it became a point of emphasis after an incident earlier this season in which a player's finger got caught in the exposed drawstring of an opponent's waistband, that was outward because of disregard for this rule, in play and a serious finger injury was caused. Contrary to social media opinion, the rule is not about "fashion" - it's about safety.

- - - - - - -

This rule has always been somewhat controversial, as opponents have argued that players roll their shorts up because the shorts are "too long." The underlying premise behind the "too long" argument is that often times basketball shorts do not fit snug on a player (particularly a skinnier player.) A corollary argument to the "too long" argument is that many schools can not afford to buy basketball shorts that are, subjectively, tighter fitting. With the revelation that poor enforcement of this rule has resulted in kids needlessly getting into freak accidents with their fingers getting caught in the drawstring, however, it is likely that this rule will stay for the time being.
Attachments
Rolled Shorts.jpg
Last edited by formerfcfan on Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

Vito Corleone
Freshman Team

Re: OHSAA to Refs: enforce the "Rolled Shorts" rule, or get written up

Post by Vito Corleone »

The short shorts are making a comeback!

Making offers you can't refuse
BBALL99
Freshman Team

Post by BBALL99 »

I've watched a ton of games this year and have seen it enforced ONCE!! However, the undershirt rule has been enforced more this year. I have never understood the undershirt rule, if it is black, white, or a school color it shouldn't matter.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

BBALL99 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:47 am I've watched a ton of games this year and have seen it enforced ONCE!! However, the undershirt rule has been enforced more this year. I have never understood the undershirt rule, if it is black, white, or a school color it shouldn't matter.
Yeah, I don't personally understand the necessity for both the undershirt rule you mention and the rule on tights/compression shorts matching the shorts color. I suppose it is because of the NFHS rules philosophy that tries to discourage kids wearing a plethora of colors on their body (sort of like why uniforms can contain a certain number of colors on them.) I don't personally agree with the undershirt nor tights rules, myself, as they seem to be pretty needless and of no detriment to player safety.

This one, though, actually makes sense in my opinion considering all the bad things that can happen (see the attached photo in my original post.) The manufacturer's intent clause, specifically, I believe to have a two-fold approach: so players do not get hurt, and so that shorts manufacturers (e.g. Nike, Under Armour and Adidas) aren't held liable for injuries that result from kids putting the drawstring outward. That latter point I think is probably what's also important, and what may have caused this rule in the first place. The shorts companies, your Nike's and UA's, likely instructed NFHS that they see a liability issue if kids are wearing them contrary to the fashion the manufacturers "intend" them to be worn. Which is why they('re) put(tting) the instruction "wear as is, waistband on the inside" - because if the manufacturer's intent is for the waistband to be worn on the outside, and if/when kids get finger injuries because they get caught in the waistband, then it becomes a "faulty product" issue which leaves them susceptible to huge lawsuits if/when kids start losing their fingers.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

I don't get why kids started rolling their shorts and I don't think it looks good, but I would say that as long as they tuck in the string that it really shouldn't be an issue.

I haven't seen it enforced at the varsity level during a game, I'm guessing it is addressed in the Captain's meeting, but have seen it several times at the lower levels.

I actually saw a kid have to play defense while holding up his shorts so they wouldn't fall down at one point too. That team's shorts were from the 2004-2005 season, so the elastic was out and I believe that he didn't have a drawstring anymore either, so what is that kid supposed to do? Lol

ndc soccer
Freshman Team

Post by ndc soccer »

#freetheknee

baseball16
All Conference

Post by baseball16 »

I Have an Idea: OHSAA To Coaches: Enforce the Rolled Shorts, or get written up!!

Just an Idea. Seems the Refs have enough crap to deal with!

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

baseball16 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:18 pm I Have an Idea: OHSAA To Coaches: Enforce the Rolled Shorts, or get written up!!

Just an Idea. Seems the Refs have enough crap to deal with!
I agree that refs are burdened enough already. I also agree that, in principle, the onus should fall on the coaches, not the refs. But then again, don’t hold your breath if you think coaches care about rules, let alone care enough to know the rules. When coaches yell “over the back!” (no such foul exists), I don’t exactly trust that they’d know to tell their kids “wear the shorts like you are supposed to” either. Or that they would care to, either. Hence, refs.

Bigman83
Riding the Bench

Post by Bigman83 »

I think for a lot of kids the shorts are a size issue. If you think about it, they don’t order new uniforms every year & every team is different so most jerseys aren’t going to fit everyone & you’re just stuck with what you get. So when your shorts are too big, most kids roll them because that makes them tighter around the waist and not down to their ankles. IMO I think it should be allowed if it helps with making them fit, but if it’s just for looks I can see where that rule could be enforced.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

danicalifornia wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:05 pm I don't get why kids started rolling their shorts and I don't think it looks good, but I would say that as long as they tuck in the string that it really shouldn't be an issue.

I haven't seen it enforced at the varsity level during a game, I'm guessing it is addressed in the Captain's meeting, but have seen it several times at the lower levels.

I actually saw a kid have to play defense while holding up his shorts so they wouldn't fall down at one point too. That team's shorts were from the 2004-2005 season, so the elastic was out and I believe that he didn't have a drawstring anymore either, so what is that kid supposed to do? Lol
My kid is a frosh and swims in his so rolling helps.

It's been enforced a couple times at our place but I don't think it had to do with safety. I was sitting close and heard the official explain the color on those particular waistbands didn't match the outside of the uniform so it didn't comply with ohsaa

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Some kids roll them to fit better. As long as the string in tucked inside what’s it matter. It’s about safety right????

Big cat
Freshman Team

Post by Big cat »

Long , baggy shorts have never made since to me.
Performance wise or fashion wise

clevelandbrowns#1
Varsity

Post by clevelandbrowns#1 »

DRAW STRINGS---pull them tighter and the shorts wont fall off!!!
Baseball 16-I agree, coaches enforce the rule or get written up! Why do we officials have to be in charge of this also???

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

clevelandbrowns#1 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:52 pm DRAW STRINGS---pull them tighter and the shorts wont fall off!!!
Baseball 16-I agree, coaches enforce the rule or get written up! Why do we officials have to be in charge of this also???
Officials shouldn't be in charge of this. But, as I stated earlier, what about older uniforms where there may not even be a draw string anymore? We have a JV player who has his draw strong as tight as it will go...still has to hold the shorts up.

I feel like it shouldn't be a problem on varsity since they don't have handmedowns, but the lower levels have a big issue with quality of shorts.

BBALL99
Freshman Team

Post by BBALL99 »

I agree it's not on officials, but I also agree if they are rolled and the drawstring is tucked, what's the big deal. I know from experience coaching multiple sports that it is difficult to fit each kid, whether it be varsity or JV.

What is the penalty for rolled shorts??

king kong
Freshman Team

Post by king kong »

clevelandbrowns#1 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:52 pm DRAW STRINGS---pull them tighter and the shorts wont fall off!!!
Maybe because you guys are gods on earth from the start of warmup clock until after the final buzzer! lol

PowerLifitingNut
Riding the Bench

Post by PowerLifitingNut »

king kong wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:57 pm
Maybe because you guys are gods on earth from the start of warmup clock until after the final buzzer! lol
LMAO! :mrgreen:

The Flush
Varsity

Post by The Flush »

"shorts must be worn as manufacturer intended them to be."

Do the manufacturers specify their intent as to how they are to be worn? If not, how do you know their intent?

FortheWin
Riding the Bench

Post by FortheWin »

Seems a silly thing to worry about, other than the string in for safety. The rolling should be left out but string enforced-avoids the fit issue and solves the safety issue.
I don't see the point of all the uniform rules. My son was once made to take off his tights and undershirt at a 35 degree track meet(in a port a john) because they had a Nike swoosh. Which was also clearly apparent on the uniform.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

The Flush wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:42 pm "shorts must be worn as manufacturer intended them to be."

Do the manufacturers specify their intent as to how they are to be worn? If not, how do you know their intent?
It’s straight from the NFHS handbook.

Return to “The Off season”