SVC all league predictions

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Re: SVC all league predictions

Post by pfloyd »

winningaintcheap wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:45 pm I have watched A LOT of SVC basketball in my life. Let’s make a couple points that need addressed.
1. Swingle is the leading scorer in SVC history and in his best season his team finished 4th in what is arguably the worst year the league has had in a decade. I am so sick of the argument “if you take them off the team...”. How about when they’re actually on the team? 4th Place? In this league? Doesn’t cut it for somebody who’s going to score 1800 points. He’s been out rebounded too many times for me to consider his presence a huge factor.
2. Perdue does everything for Piketon. He scores, rebounds, passes, etc. He’s their guy. He’s been consistently good every night and makes his team better by being on the court.
3. Swackhammer - as good as he is offensively - is the best defensive player in the league and it’s not even close. He are some things Logan does that don’t show up on a stat sheet.
A. He takes pressure off the other guards to open up their games. (See Brandon Kennedy all time leader in 3’s made)
B. He guards the other teams best PG every night (see game at Chillicothe - 6 assists, 0 TO’s)
C. He wins. (See 56-0 in the SVC on his career)

IMO, it’s a no brainer. Perdue and Swackhammer split as Co-POY because they are on their teams and they make everybody around them better and they are wins added to their team. They play all around, they are great scorers, and they do their job night in and night out.

Perdue & Swackhammer (Co-POY)
Swingle
Beam
Kennedy

COY - Matt Hoops
... IF it came down to "having to split" the POY I agree with your assessment wholeheartedly ... good analysis ... IF Swingle was on either Piketon or Unioto , being a D1 recruit at 6-11 ... I think the better coaching at both the U and Piketon would have MADE him dominant in the paint ...

AnkleBraces
Freshman Team

Post by AnkleBraces »

Roger Mink wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:21 pm Swackhammer with 20 points in the first half against a good Zane Trace team that holds teams to 42ppg. If he just wanted to score, these are the nights you would see. POY.
What about when perdue had 37 on ZT

AnkleBraces
Freshman Team

Post by AnkleBraces »

winningaintcheap wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:45 pm I have watched A LOT of SVC basketball in my life. Let’s make a couple points that need addressed.
1. Swingle is the leading scorer in SVC history and in his best season his team finished 4th in what is arguably the worst year the league has had in a decade. I am so sick of the argument “if you take them off the team...”. How about when they’re actually on the team? 4th Place? In this league? Doesn’t cut it for somebody who’s going to score 1800 points. He’s been out rebounded too many times for me to consider his presence a huge factor.
2. Perdue does everything for Piketon. He scores, rebounds, passes, etc. He’s their guy. He’s been consistently good every night and makes his team better by being on the court.
3. Swackhammer - as good as he is offensively - is the best defensive player in the league and it’s not even close. He are some things Logan does that don’t show up on a stat sheet.
A. He takes pressure off the other guards to open up their games. (See Brandon Kennedy all time leader in 3’s made)
B. He guards the other teams best PG every night (see game at Chillicothe - 6 assists, 0 TO’s)
C. He wins. (See 56-0 in the SVC on his career)

IMO, it’s a no brainer. Perdue and Swackhammer split as Co-POY because they are on their teams and they make everybody around them better and they are wins added to their team. They play all around, they are great scorers, and they do their job night in and night out.

Perdue & Swackhammer (Co-POY)
Swingle
Beam
Kennedy

COY - Matt Hoops
Great analysis. Both deserving

svc_guy
Freshman Team

Post by svc_guy »

I don't believe a split is realistic. Its voted on by listing 1-15 players and however the points fall that's it. They can't just "designate" co player of year. I will say against Westfall I felt Perdue was a really hard working kid who was fun to watch...but his impact on the game falls short of Swackhammer. Swack was the only player in the league we could not game plan for ...in other words .. You can't stop any part of his game. I will say what I said before...he's the best, its not close, and the experts agree ...multiple full ride offers. Any other year , I could see Perdue or Swingle. Good luck to all the kids. Its been fun.

Tigerfan92
Waterboy

Post by Tigerfan92 »

1. Swackhammer- What would his numbers be if he were on Piketon's team? My guess is he would score more than an extra 6-7 points a game. We are talking a basket in each half and a couple of free throws at the end. There is no comparison on the defensive side. Can't punish a kid for being on a very good team. Swackhammer gets the nod.
2. Swingle- Constantly double teamed front and back. How many touches does this guy get a game? Can you imagine if he touched the ball as many times as Swackhammer or Perdue? The kid touches it 5 more times a quarter and he averages over 30 pts/game. Can't punish a kid for being on a bad team either.
3. Perdue- Listened to the end of the Unioto game early in the season on the radio with Piketon down by I think 17 pts. Perdue had around 10 pts with 2 minutes to go in the game. A throw up 3, a couple of foul shots driving to the basket, rebound put back and next thing you know he has over 20 pts. I said then there is no quit in Perdue. He is always looking to score. He is just not close to the same level as the other 2. Good free throw shooter at the end of games and scores a lot of points from 2 feet (driving to the basket and off the press).

Three good players though. Congrats on very good seasons.

hbk1999
JV Team

Post by hbk1999 »

Why are we even discussing this, we all know COY and POY will come from team that won the league.

CavalierAlum05
Varsity

Post by CavalierAlum05 »

Swack and Swingle co-POY accordnjnf to Shoemakers fb
Not sure who won coach but if I had to guess it would be Hoops lol

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

CavalierAlum05 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:03 pm Swack and Swingle co-POY accordnjnf to Shoemakers fb
Not sure who won coach but if I had to guess it would be Hoops lol
Interesting

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Yep, on Shoemaker’s twitter as well.

Co POY Swingle....didn’t say the other

Newland 2nd team

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Thread gets combative in 3.....2....1.....

CavalierAlum05
Varsity

Post by CavalierAlum05 »

Happy with the award selection. Both are very deserving.
I would have been extremely upset if Swingle was left out. They made the right decision IMO.

Swingle goes for the all time scoring record in Ross County this week. Only needs 12pts

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

2 very deserving players. Someone always gets left out with these awards and it sucks that it was Tanner P. This year! He's definitely Piketon's MVP, POY do it all player and in the end there is nothing wrong with that at all! We're all behind u! Thank you for everything you've given us this year!

hbk1999
JV Team

Post by hbk1999 »

Not that I agree with it, but Perdue being at Western last two years killed any chance he had at POY.

waterhog82
Waterboy

Post by waterhog82 »

Shame on the PV coach for posting this stuff. Not supposed to be public knowledge until mid week. Stay off of social media with this stuff and allow coaches the time to meet with their teams to discuss it. Very poor judgement!

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

waterhog82 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:15 pm Shame on the PV coach for posting this stuff. Not supposed to be public knowledge until mid week. Stay off of social media with this stuff and allow coaches the time to meet with their teams to discuss it. Very poor judgement!
I figured this was an issue.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

waterhog82 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:15 pm Shame on the PV coach for posting this stuff. Not supposed to be public knowledge until mid week. Stay off of social media with this stuff and allow coaches the time to meet with their teams to discuss it. Very poor judgement!
(smh) ...

ItsMyOpinion
Varsity

Post by ItsMyOpinion »

This is a recurring theme with this coach. Wants everything to be about him. Yes ... it is unfortunate that this information was not released at the correct time.

king kong
Freshman Team

Post by king kong »

Being the best player in a below average league, something to be proud of!

waterhog82
Waterboy

Post by waterhog82 »

king kong wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:15 pm Being the best player in a below average league, something to be proud of!
Several college coaches seem to think so. Get a life.

CavalierAlum05
Varsity

Post by CavalierAlum05 »

king kong wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:15 pm Being the best player in a below average league, something to be proud of!
King Kong of all D-Bags.

Return to “Boys Basketball”