TVC HOCKING AND TOURNEY DRAWS

Kendog029
Freshman Team

TVC HOCKING AND TOURNEY DRAWS

Post by Kendog029 »

Personal opinion here, but why is tourney draw so early when there’s still 2 weeks between end of regular season and tourney? Not saying it will happen but conceivably Waterford could beat Trimble twice next week and win hocking division and they will be the #3 seed in tourney behind both Southern and Trimble. That seems out of whack to me. Waterford will finish no worse than tied for second in conference and feels like they are punished for scheduling more difficult games. Just my thoughts I may be out of touch here but just seems like an imperfect system to me. I also understand you gotta win and advance regardless of seeding.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Re: TVC HOCKING AND TOURNEY DRAWS

Post by 93Bulldog »

That is false. Belpre is just one game back of Waterford. If Trimble beats Waterford twice, wildcats could drop to third so long as Belpre beats Eastern Friday.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

But to back up your point, Belpre just swept southern and beat Miller in the last 10 days, but is still the 5 seed below both teams.

Kendog029
Freshman Team

Post by Kendog029 »

My apologies I didn’t realize belpre only had 4 conference losses. They are in same boat as Waterford. I thought they would have same record if Trimble swept Waterford.

tomcat82
Freshman Team

Post by tomcat82 »

Trimble's schedule was no cake walk. Trimble is also a game ahead of Waterford. I will agree it will be hard to beat Waterford at Waterford. But than again it is hard to beat Trimble at Trimble....Howie will have these boy's ready to tame the Wildcats... I will take a tie but I would love to see the Tomcats take the TVC............

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

The tournament draw is both too early and at the perfect time. It is too early to truly seed them where they should be, but I'd be willing to bet that most coaches like the fact that they can go scout their opponents before the tournament, especially in a Sectional as spread out as the Meigs one.

The problem, is that teams vote based on record alone most times in D4. Waterford, in that case, would be hurt by scheduling up in the non conference.

Attack
Freshman Team

Post by Attack »

tomcat82 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:28 pm Trimble's schedule was no cake walk. Trimble is also a game ahead of Waterford. I will agree it will be hard to beat Waterford at Waterford. But than again it is hard to beat Trimble at Trimble....Howie will have these boy's ready to tame the Wildcats... I will take a tie but I would love to see the Tomcats take the TVC............
There will be no tie for the league title. If Trimble splits with Wateford or beats them twice Trimble wins the league outright. If Waterford beats Trimble twice Waterford wins the title outright.

Kendog029
Freshman Team

Post by Kendog029 »

danicalifornia wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:49 pm The tournament draw is both too early and at the perfect time. It is too early to truly seed them where they should be, but I'd be willing to bet that most coaches like the fact that they can go scout their opponents before the tournament, especially in a Sectional as spread out as the Meigs one.

The problem, is that teams vote based on record alone most times in D4. Waterford, in that case, would be hurt by scheduling up in the non conference.
There is no “scout” time in football and it seems to work. But I’m sure coaches like the opportunity along with time for kids to get healthier.

Kendog029
Freshman Team

Post by Kendog029 »

tomcat82 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:28 pm Trimble's schedule was no cake walk. Trimble is also a game ahead of Waterford. I will agree it will be hard to beat Waterford at Waterford. But than again it is hard to beat Trimble at Trimble....Howie will have these boy's ready to tame the Wildcats... I will take a tie but I would love to see the Tomcats take the TVC............
I wasn’t throwing any shade at Trimble schedule or any other school, but you’d have to admit Trimble didn’t play any games equivalent to Fairland or Warren. Waterford has been VERY inconsistent this season and that should be reflected as such in tourney. They could sweep Trimble and I wouldn’t be shocked and on other hand they could get blown out twice and it wouldn’t shock me either. My post was more a knock on what is gained by setting up tourney draw so early when they could wait till this weekend as example to set the draws and it wouldn’t hurt anything or affect anyone negatively. Also there should be a better set up because there is no incentive to play tougher schedule if it’s only going to hurt you in seeding.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Kendog029 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:42 pm
danicalifornia wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:49 pm The tournament draw is both too early and at the perfect time. It is too early to truly seed them where they should be, but I'd be willing to bet that most coaches like the fact that they can go scout their opponents before the tournament, especially in a Sectional as spread out as the Meigs one.

There is no “scout” time in football and it seems to work. But I’m sure coaches like the opportunity along with time for kids to get healthier.
That's fine, but if a team gets seeded on Sunday and has to play on Monday (like we have in D3 here) then I can't imagine that it would go over well.

tomcat82
Freshman Team

Post by tomcat82 »

Thanks attack. I am sorry I was told wrong. I am glad ur keeping me straight..

tomcat82
Freshman Team

Post by tomcat82 »

Kendog029 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:55 pm
I wasn’t throwing any shade at Trimble schedule or any other school, but you’d have to admit Trimble didn’t play any games equivalent to Fairland or Warren. Waterford has been VERY inconsistent this season and that should be reflected as such in tourney. They could sweep Trimble and I wouldn’t be shocked and on other hand they could get blown out twice and it wouldn’t shock me either. My post was more a knock on what is gained by setting up tourney draw so early when they could wait till this weekend as example to set the draws and it wouldn’t hurt anything or affect anyone negatively. Also there should be a better set up because there is no incentive to play tougher schedule if it’s only going to hurt you in seeding.
Fairland and Warren are bigger schools than we are. I didn't mean to take offense I just get tired of always hearing we played no one in basketball and football. Trimble deserves the number one seed. No one thought they would do well this year and Waterford would win it all. The TVC Hocking was interesting as Southern, Miller, Belpre, Waterford, Eastern and Trimble could win on any given night.

Sideliner
Riding the Bench

Post by Sideliner »

tomcat82 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:13 pm
Fairland and Warren are bigger schools than we are. I didn't mean to take offense I just get tired of always hearing we played no one in basketball and football. Trimble deserves the number one seed. No one thought they would do well this year and Waterford would win it all. The TVC Hocking was interesting as Southern, Miller, Belpre, Waterford, Eastern and Trimble could win on any given night.
I am right there with you, Tomcat82. All season long I have heard negative about Trimble. It gets old!

Downtown23
Waterboy

Post by Downtown23 »

And it’s interesting how a coach may make sure they don’t play certain teams if possible before the draw. Also to note, Waterford lost 2 key players this season and had to readjust twice due to this. But they are definitely solid when they are on thru all the adversity.

Kendog029
Freshman Team

Post by Kendog029 »

tomcat82 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:13 pm
I agree Trimble deserves the #1 seed but if Waterford would by chance sweep them would it still be deserved? Again not saying that will happen but just curious. And with Belpre they have got hot at the right time of year. As for eastern they can beat anyone..........(at home)!
Miller seems to be trending down currently hopefully they can right the ship. Southern is hard to figure they probably have the most talented 5 starters in conference but a big drop after those 5. Trimble has been most consistent team in conference they have POY and several nice pieces to compliment him.

Kendog029
Freshman Team

Post by Kendog029 »

danicalifornia wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:00 pm
Kendog029 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:42 pm

That's fine, but if a team gets seeded on Sunday and has to play on Monday (like we have in D3 here) then I can't imagine that it would go over well.
Lol that would certainly present a problem. I feel like there has to be someway to alieviate this. Maybe going to a point system like football does. Idk maybe this year is just a fluke as far as how it’s playing out.

Mister Bee
Varsity

Post by Mister Bee »

I just wonder if there is as much "backroom dealing" today as there used to be when it comes to casting sectional seeding ballots?

Return to “Boys Basketball”